• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

Note:  I'm posting the following here becuz "KirkD" in the Dell Forums wuz absolutely no help.

I'm having a problem entering System Setup on my Dell Inspiron 3646.  The manual says too press F2 immediately when the prompt appears after the keyboard initializes during POST, but it never does. I suspect there's also a boot menu, I never see an F12 prompt either. Even if either prompt appeared, I wouldn't be able to press it in time due to my slow reflexes, which tends to be one of the effects of Ataxic Cerebral Palsy.

It wuz so easy to get to the boot menu on my old OptiPlex 755...just press F12 once as soon as the Dell logo comes up, the PC would beep, and the boot menu appears with options to boot to the HDD, optical drive, or USB device; or enter System Setup.

So my question is, is there any way to force my PC to show the boot menu every time I boot/reboot without having to press F12?

#2 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

Have you tried just hitting the F2 or F12 key repeatedly the instant your computer turns on, regardless of whether you see the prompt or not? That's what I usually do, actually, and it seems to usually work. Or if you can't hit the key rapidly like that, maybe just hold it down?

Edit: Ok, I just tried booting my computer up and just holding the F2/12 key down the instant I hit the power button, and it does go into the proper menu if I do it that way.

Edited by Raina, 26 October 2014 - 05:45 AM.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#3 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

It worked. Thanks.

#4 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

You're welcome. Glad I could be of help. :)

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users