36 replies to this topic

#21 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostCardie, on 09 November 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

But Danny had already been downloaded from the Nethersphere and was Cyber-ized. Does the Nethersphere keep a copy of the files after download?

The orginal Matrix was made up of brain tissue from dead Time Lords, if this version was based on that model there should be a copy of Danny left inside the Matrix.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#22 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostCardie, on 09 November 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

But Danny had already been downloaded from the Nethersphere and was Cyber-ized. Does the Nethersphere keep a copy of the files after download?

I imagine it's a cloud-memory sort of thing. I just recently figured out that when I delete e-mails from my smartphone, I'm deleting them from the actual mail server. So they're not really on my phone at all; they're on the server even though they act like they're in my phone. So I figure the Cyberman bodies were being remotely operated by minds that were still stored in the Matrix.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#23 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:54 AM

Danny also didn't delete himself and that might another reason why he's still there in the Matrix.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#24 Luciferian

Luciferian
  • Islander
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:41 AM

I think its just a case of the show going, Its Time Lord Tech anything is possible lol. I also think its to do with; A,that if you delete your emotions, links to the real world proper are severed somewhat and B, The Nethersphere is like its own pocket universe, so with the right help and technology its possible to return to the proper universe, Like Gallifrey will at some point

#25 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

This sotry has given us a new set of Cybermen, not Mondsian/Telosian nor Lumic's version, so where'd they go and if we see them again will we know the difference?

10801880_367811563385730_2423406338631999686_n.jpg

Missy's fate is like always up in the air and so is again the fate of the Master's TARDIS. We also have the mystery of who was behind the experiment in The Mummy On The Orient Express.

Edited by DWF, 15 November 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#26 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:30 AM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 09 November 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Okay, wait, did I just watch the Mistress unleash Plan 9 From Outer Space?  Who else would dare such a thing?!  :lol:

:howling:  :howling:  :howling:  :howling:  :howling:

Why didn't I notice that!  :freakoutnonny:  :spew:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   dragon scholar - 3a49cd1bf6bfb7033fbc9b54d7fddf56.gif

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#27 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

Well Missy didn't really use zombies and since the Brigadier died about two years ago I have to wonder how much a body there was left to convert.

#28 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

^ Didn't some of the cybers rise from graves marked 100 or more years ago?  That implies that the nanotech (I assume that's what the cloud was spreading) could regenerate tissue.  Maybe they only needed a little bit of DNA to work with?

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#29 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

Also, they said all graves were active, *all* of them, but that cybermen had only emerged from a relatively small percent so far.  That implies a longer time to regenerate tissue depending on on length of time since death.  Which implies that all the dead would eventually rise.

Hence the comments about the dead outnumbering the living, and Missy collecting minds for as long as humans had a concept of an afterlife.

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 15 November 2014 - 12:09 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#30 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:00 PM

The cloud was burnt off though so no more nano created Cybermen, which of course makes them closer to the Borg than the Cybermen of old. Still it's hard to imagine how those Cybermen could be created by dust and let alone no metals to build their new bodies with. The more you think about the logistics the less sense the story makes. :shrug:

#31 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

Yes, they stopped the process, but that's what would have happened.

And why are you thinking about logistics?  :lol:  The comparison to Plan 9 From Outer Space still makes more sense!  :howling:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 15 November 2014 - 12:15 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#32 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 15 November 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Yes, they stopped the process, but that's what would have happened.

And why are you thinking about logistics?  :lol:  The comparison to Plan 9 From Outer Space still makes more sense!  :howling:

SFG

599804_436424153057160_1946054122_n.jpg

#33 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostDWF, on 15 November 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

Well Missy didn't really use zombies and since the Brigadier died about two years ago I have to wonder how much a body there was left to convert.

Also note that anyone who had been cremated would not be available for upgrade. It was only burials, which have been on the decrease since the late Victorians introduced crematoria because they were running out of land. And anyone in former churchyards now built over would have had a bit of a struggle to get out....
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#34 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,205 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 15 November 2014 - 01:30 AM, said:

View PostRJDiogenes, on 09 November 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Okay, wait, did I just watch the Mistress unleash Plan 9 From Outer Space?  Who else would dare such a thing?!  :lol:

:howling:  :howling:  :howling:  :howling:  :howling:

Why didn't I notice that!  :freakoutnonny:  :spew:

SFG  
I was kind of surprised that no one seemed to notice.  I expected everyone to be mentioning it.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#35 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostChakoteya, on 15 November 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

Also note that anyone who had been cremated would not be available for upgrade. It was only burials, which have been on the decrease since the late Victorians introduced crematoria because they were running out of land.

Yes, which was the whole reason for the "Don't cremate me!" scam in part 1 -- to convince people to keep the bodies intact so they'd be available for Cyber-conversion.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#36 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Bit late for that when you're dead though.

Okay, my last thought on the whole deal.

BLEAH!
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#37 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostChakoteya, on 16 November 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Bit late for that when you're dead though.

Remember Part 1. Missy's scam was that the dead in the afterlife could still feel what happened to their bodies. This was to dissuade people from cremating the bodies, so that the corpses would be available to turn into Cybermen.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users