• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

No thread for this yet?

I've played about 15 hours so far.  Of that, more than 10 of it was in the Hinterlands with the original party members, until the "Yo! Don't stay in the Hinterlands forever" PSA started circulating.  :)  Since then, I've moved the plot forward a smidge and acquired four more companions... though my extended time in the Hinterlands has made it hard for me to bond with new people.   I do think Sera's wicked fun, though, so it'll be hard to choose between her and Varric.  (And technically, I don't need either of them, since I'm already a rogue, myself.)

- I love the mix of boots-on-the-ground adventuring with the "war table" where you can dispatch others to take care of situations (and how both pieces are sometimes necessary for a given quest... like, me going around and marking the locations for new watchtowers, and then going back to homebase and dispatching others to actually build the towers.)  It gives a sense of a larger machinery grinding into gear on a lot of different fronts.   Even many of the fetch quests have a sense that they're useful in that they're winning the hearts and minds of the populous in favor of the Inquisition.  (And the first time one of those quests lead to me having an opportunity to recruit the person as an agent of the Inquisition was a cool little extra bonus.)

- Part of how I knew it was time to move on from the Hinterlands was coming out of a cave into a new region and immediately faced with the sight of a dragon launching towards us in the distance.  She was gorgeous... and shortly strafed us with fire that had the whole party dead in two seconds flat.  Really effective moment of "Oh, crap" moment.  :)

- I haven't used the tactical mode for combat much yet, but it seems like a nice feature.  I can see it being particularly useful in boss or dragon fights.  The regular active fighting was surprisingly easy for me to get back into.  Kudos to the developers for keeping the interface so familiar.

- The Hinterlands is so great... something new to investigate around ever corner.  I've only dipped my toes into two other maps so far, and both of them seemed like they're going to be significantly smaller.  I hope it's not a case of them showcasing the big guns up front and then devolving back to smaller environments.  I'd especially like to have at least one more Hinterlands-sized map in Orlais... give us a chance to explore truly new territory.

- Kinda disappointed in the romance options this time around.  I think my rogue almost has more of a spark with *Varric* than any of the people who are actually available.  :p
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#2 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

I've been very suprised by this game. After DA2 and ME3 I really didn't have high hopes for this game. So I have been very pleasently surprised by how expansive and how *good* this game is. I'm about 30 hours in and think I'm only about half way. Overall I like all the companions although I do find Sera a bit too random for me. Certainly not like DA2 where I was beginning to hate half the party.

I can't really get into detail without spoilers but the sequence to the end of act 1 and all the main quests I've done have been of really high quality.

I really like the war room as well- it gives a good feel for having lots of things going on beyond the player and makes you feel like you're actually controlling a major force. Some of the time requirements for the missions are starting to get ridiculous frankly- I've got one now that will take 20 hours (!) to complete.

I was also very impressed with the Keep- being able to customize the previous games to that degree was ery well put together.

I had the exact same moment with what I imagine is the same dragon. Immeditally decided to come back the way I came...

My main complaint so far is some of the MMO style fetch quests- I have several treasure hunts in my journal that I'll probably never get around to doing. Overall, I've really enjoyed it so far. If the rest of the game is this good I'll go so far as to say this might be the best game Bioware has made yet.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

^ I agree about the Keep.  It was nice to have the refresher on the story after so many years.  I can't think of the exact example, but I've come across at least a couple small detail that were customized based on the Keep, and I probably would have never remembered the original events to know it had been customized if the Keep hadn't reminded me.  I can't say I remembered how every detail of my previous games played out, but there was enough info to give me a feel for the outcome I would have tried for.

I don't mind the one-and-done fetch quests, but yeah, the treasure hunts and "collections" are a bit much.  I'm already sick to death of the shards, but those seem like they're actually going to have some significance, so I'm assuming they're worth seeking out.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:14 AM

I'm waiting until I get a next gen console before I pick up this game. Which will probably be this summer if I'm lucky. The same for Far Cry 4. Though I'm tempted to rent the Xbox 360 version and play it anyways.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:54 AM

Got to Skyhold over the weekend, and...
Spoiler

My only gripe right now is a lot of the minutia of the collection quests and umpteen different crafting options are a little overwhelming.  I'm at a point where I'm actively avoiding even thinking about doing crafting because it seems so complicated.  (I also haven't gotten much use out of the mounts, either, but I'm not constantly accumulating materials for them, so they're easier to ignore.)

All the other choices flying around are great, though.  Romances or flirtatious maybe-romances are coming hot and heavy with my companions and various other characters (I love Harding, and was so excited when I got a 'flirt' option in conversation with her. :) )  Lots of possible fronts to explore on the war board.  I'm already looking forward to doing a new game with different Keep settings and having an Inquisitor who's super-religious and really feels like s/he's blessed by Andraste.  So many relationships that seem like they'd have a different tone if the Inquisitor embraced that role wholeheartedly instead of feeling kinda awkward and inadequate about it, the way my current one does. :)  (Or, vice versa, a mage inquisitor who has nothing but contempt for religion might be fun, too.)

I'm loving playing a rogue.  Attacks from the shadows are so effective, I can usually take out at least one bad guy before they even know a fight has started.  It's pretty sweet to eliminate a spellcaster before they even get a single spell off. :)

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

Have either of you finished the game yet? What did you think about it?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

I think I mentioned over in the miscellaneous "What's on your screen" thread that I hit a bit of a wall due to the big world-map getting same-y and not related to the main plot.  Still feel that way.  Too many token-quests that are just there to rack up another ticky on the ticky boxes of completed quests, not enough sense of correlation between main-quest and random wandering.  Good example:  I killed my first dragon the other day, and it popped up with a collection message or something like "Dragons killed:  1 of 8" that made it seem like the main "goal" related to dragons in this game is just to kill them all... not necessarily for any story reason but just for the Pokemon 'gotta catch 'em all' sort of goal.  It's hard to be happy with a game where half the content seems to be this sort of collecting random STUFF just so you can say you got the achievement for collecting the maximum amount of STUFF.

That said - I've only moved one more step forward in the main plot so far, so it could still have enough meat on its bones in other areas to wow me.  I still like the mission-table stuff, and the individual companion quests have forced me to make some challenging choices.  I do enjoy wandering around and listening to my team banter, so I haven't given up quite yet.  But I *do* keep getting pulled away to check out other games over on the PC, so it's not like it's holding my interest terribly well, either.

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

I think I mentioned over in the miscellaneous "What's on your screen" thread that I hit a bit of a wall due to the big world-map getting same-y and not related to the main plot.  Still feel that way.  Too many token-quests that are just there to rack up another ticky on the ticky boxes of completed quests, not enough sense of correlation between main-quest and random wandering.

Sad to hear that. I'm definitely in favor of long games with lots of quests, but there does come a point where it starts to feel as if the creators maybe should have left some of the quests out of the game.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

I finally bought this game and have been playing it for a few days. I'm enjoying it, but it's not without its problems.

Right now I'm at the point where I have to decide whether to go to the Templars for help or the mages, and I can't decide which path to take. The game really hasn't done a good job of giving me any kind of pros or cons about picking either side. I have no idea if I'll lose any characters depending on my choice, nor do I know if Dorian will join my party if I decide to go with the Templars. I'm leaning towards helping the mages at this point.

My thoughts pretty much echo what Niko and Talkie Toaster have written. I definitely feel that some of the quests are there just to be token quests and are too similar to each other. I'm already over having to close X amount of breaches in every location. I've started to skip them if I can.

The war table definitely adds a cool aspect to the game. It does make it feel like you're conducting an actual war campaign and getting to make the big decisions. Plus, it's nice that you can recruit people, get gold, accumulate influence, etc. without having to go on long quests to do it.

Now since I've started adding more characters to my party I'm happy. I'm not a big fan of Varrick of Solus. I like Cassandra, but that's it. The new characters are a lot more interesting. Sera is just crazy and I love it. Vivienne might be somewhat distant and mean, but she's cool and I love her attitude. Iron Bull is simply awesome. I just added Blackwall to my party so I don't know much about him yet.

I do wish that either the map was already revealed or there was some kind of indication of how to get to certain objectives. It is more than annoying when you're walking towards an objective only to find a giant mountain or something in your way and you have to backtrack and find a way around or up. That has happened one too many times.

- Part of how I knew it was time to move on from the Hinterlands was coming out of a cave into a new region and immediately faced with the sight of a dragon launching towards us in the distance.  She was gorgeous... and shortly strafed us with fire that had the whole party dead in two seconds flat.  Really effective moment of "Oh, crap" moment.  :)

That more or less happened to me too, though I was able to get my party away safely before we all died. I still have no idea how to beat that dragon. I went back later when my party was leveled up more and I have no idea how to kill the dragon. It just keeps flying and shooting fireballs. If it doesn't land I have no idea how to attack the stupid thing.

- Kinda disappointed in the romance options this time around.  I think my rogue almost has more of a spark with *Varric* than any of the people who are actually available.  :p

Yeah. I'm playing a human male and I want to romance another guy and I've learned my options are either Iron Bull or Dorian. I thought I could romance Cullen because it gave the option but he said he wasn't ready for romance and I found on-line that he can only be romanced by women. The game does seem to limit the romance options while seemingly giving more characters that can be romanced.

My only gripe right now is a lot of the minutia of the collection quests and umpteen different crafting options are a little overwhelming.  I'm at a point where I'm actively avoiding even thinking about doing crafting because it seems so complicated.  (I also haven't gotten much use out of the mounts, either, but I'm not constantly accumulating materials for them, so they're easier to ignore.)

I agree. It's a cool feature on the surface but there's just so much too it. Same with upgrading potions. I love that the game has all of this type of crafting and upgrading, but it's not something easy to do. Which sucks, because crafting new pieces for your armor is a good way to add extra protection for your characters or upgrading their weapons to have them be more effective.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#10 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

^ Ah, cool!  I never did go back and finish it, but it's on the list I recently made to keep track of all the games I want to finish/revisit/etc. someday.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 11 October 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

Right now I'm at the point where I have to decide whether to go to the Templars for help or the mages, and I can't decide which path to take. The game really hasn't done a good job of giving me any kind of pros or cons about picking either side. I have no idea if I'll lose any characters depending on my choice, nor do I know if Dorian will join my party if I decide to go with the Templars. I'm leaning towards helping the mages at this point.
I think the decision for me was driven almost as much by the history from the prior two games as anything Inquisition did.  DA2, in particular, was *so* much a "mages vs. templars" scenario that I came out of that with really strong pro-mage leanings.  So my choice was driven by my "politics" in the world, in general.   (You don't lose any character with the choice... you just lose out on a bit of the origin story for one or the other of them.)

Yeah. I'm playing a human male and I want to romance another guy and I've learned my options are either Iron Bull or Dorian.

Oh, no!  I hadn't realized that.  That sucks.  I so enjoyed all the flirting that happens between the two of them if you have them both in your party for a while.

#11 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

I've advanced quite a bit farther into the game. I decided to help the Mages, mainly because I wasn't sure if Dorian would join my team if I went to the Templars. That was a pretty good quest. The future was certainly bleak and showed what will happen if the Elder One isn't stopped. I am curious as to what would have happened has I gone with the Templars. Would I still have been shoved into the future? Would it be Red Mages making up the Elder One's army instead of Red Templars?

I was surprised when I closed the breach that easily. I figured that would be endgame stuff. Instead Corypheus shows up and destroys Haven. That was a shock.

It did lead me to Skyhold, which is fantastic. Like you Niko I spent several hours just exploring the place and talking to allies. It was a great way to shake the game up and Skyhold is a much better base of operations than Haven. It makes it feel like I really am leading a large organization intent on saving the world. I do wish the customization was a little better. There's little explanation as to where you get different beds, curtains, wall furnishings, etc. I found some at a vendor but not a ton. I'd also like to find better throne options. I did the courtyard customization and picked the one that was more about tending to the sick but I can't tell that anything has really changed. It all looks the same.

Still, it's a breathtaking area and the fact that you can travel around pretty much the entire castle without any loading screens is just amazing. There are times I go to my quarters and stand on the balcony and just look at the view of the giant snow covered mountains.

The war table is cool, but there are just so many missions and most of them take hours to complete. I do like that even when the Xbox is off the hours count down. It makes it a little more bearable when I have to wait six or so hours for one of my allies to report in.

There are some good companion quests. I haven't completed any of them yet so I haven't really come across any hard decisions. Right now I'm having to hunt down some people for Cassandra and Dorian, look for artifacts for Blackwall and Vivienne, send a legion of troops marching into an area for Sera and I think that's it at the moment.

Oh, no!  I hadn't realized that.  That sucks.  I so enjoyed all the flirting that happens between the two of them if you have them both in your party for a while.

It's okay. I like Dorian and have pursued a romantic relationship with him. I do like that he's actually gay. A lot of times in games that have romances a character is usually bisexual, being able to be romanced by both men and women. Then you have the straight only romance options. It's nice to have a gay only option. Not only that, but they've worked it into Dorian's story. He fled from his family because he refused to marry a woman and produce a child. His father tried to use blood magic to turn Dorian gay. Eventually the father contacts Dorian again. It was a bit awkward when his dad learned that not only was the Inquisitor gay as well, but was also in a relationship with his son. Later, Mother Giselle questions Dorian's intentions about dating the Inquisitor. Obviously I stuck up for him, which led to some sexy time. I was surprised when they showed Dorian naked. Dorian wanted to break it off because in Tevinter while two men can sleep together for pleasure, it can never be anything more. My Inquisitor made it known that he wanted to have a real relationship with Dorian.

I do wish they would give a hint as to which areas to tackle first. So many new ones opened up after the attack on Haven. I went to Emprise Du Lion, if I'm remembering the name correctly, and got slaughtered at my first fade rift. I was so outclassed. I've since then spent most of my time in the area that's mostly woods and has the haunted chateau. I can't remember what it's called. That was easier (save for the giants and the last fade rift). I got attacked by two giants at once and was killed. I've been avoiding them ever since. The last fade rift seemed to have spiked in difficulty because I haven't been able to close it yet. All of my characters are at a level 14. It sucks because I've finished up every other quest in that region. Still, I loved that region. It was suitable large and different than the other regions and there were no hard to reach areas for the most part. I also loved the haunted chateau. It was effectively creepy and, considering Halloween is approaching, timely.

I do wish more of what I was doing seemed to affect the overall plot. Sure, I've done a few things to hurt the Elder One and his war machine but not much. What I liked about the first game was that every major area you went to had a huge impact on the larger story. I don't mind side-quests and companion quests and the like but I do wish it had more of an impact. Then again, there is a main story mission waiting for me (to save the Empress from assassination) and I haven't done that yet because I want to level up more and explore the world more.

I can definitely see why you took a break, Niko. There is just so much to the game that it can get overwhelming. There are a ton of areas and quests within each area. There's a ton of customization options but they all require herbs, materials, and ores that have to be collected. There's shards to find and ocularums to unlock. There are tons of war map missions to engage.

DA2, in particular, was *so* much a "mages vs. templars" scenario that I came out of that with really strong pro-mage leanings.

I never played DA2, which I'm regretting. I'm also regretting letting my nephew use my Xbox 360 to play a new game he bought because he had to delete some of my content to make room for his game and my DA:O file was one of them. I had nothing to port over to Inquisition. My plan is (probably far in the future) to play DA:O again and then play DA2 for the first time. After that, play DA:I with my files from the two previous games just to see how things change.

Edited to add that I'm playing my character as someone who believes in Andraste but isn't sure if he's really her Herald. He'll use the title to his advantage if it means getting help to stop Corypheus, but to his friends he admits his doubts.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 17 October 2016 - 04:04 PM.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#12 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

Still playing but not at the same speed I was. I'm definitely hitting a brick wall which is sad because while it's a long game and I've invested a lot of hours into it already I've played other RPGs for longer before getting burnt out. The game has a lot in its favor but there's also a lot that's less than stellar.

I think the Exalted Plains is a great example of what I mean. It's a large area with a unique look (I love the trenches and war torn look of the area), a nice variety of enemies, and a good overall quest to engage in. I like the story that the two armies were fighting and then had to quit because the undead showed up. I also like the rebels who are sick of both sides in the civil war and want to be independent from everyone. There's some really good set-up here. It also uses the Inquisition in a good manner, with me having to start a project to repair the bridge to the island across the way where part of the army is under siege.

However, the story is never really utilized well. We're never given a real reason for why the undead appeared. Yes, we're told they showed up when the freemen did, but it's never stated that the two are linked. The undead are just enemies to fight with no true impact on the story. The same with the freemen. These are people who have a legitimate complaint and could have been interesting adversaries, but we never interact with them outside of just killing them. Compare that to DA:O, where areas like Redcliffe, the Circle, Orzammar, etc. had full stories and histories and characters. DA:I has way more areas and a much larger map but that means story has been sacrificed.

Then there's the fact that it feels like some quests were added just to pad game length. After saving the fort under siege a quest pops up to locate ten supply caches. There's also the quest to find all the notes left behind by hidden soldiers or the one to locate elven text around the area. They just feel tedious.

Still, DA:I is doing more right than wrong. It just feels a little overwhelming at times because of how many areas there are and just how many quests are out there to do.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#13 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

I spent quite a bit of time on my days off playing. I've advanced quite a bit in the game. In fact, the next major mission is the final one to stop Corypheus. So there will be spoilers in the rest of this review, but I'll put up a warning before I get into heavy spoiler territory.

Well, I finally killed a dragon. Two, actually. The first one was tough. My team used up all their potions and the only thing keeping us going was every time someone died I immediately rushed over and brought them back. It was a slog and took forever, but finally the dragon was defeated. It was a great feeling. It also left a lot of good loot. The second dragon was a little easier, probably because it was at lvl. 15 or so and my team were all around lvl. 18 or 19. I don't believe anyone died in that battle at all. Apparently there are still 8 dragons out there to kill. I'm not sure if I'll hunt every single one of them down but I might go after a few more.

The war table missions are killing me. There are just so many of them and most of them require hours to complete so it's tedious to try and get them all done. I do want to get them all done before I go on the final mission so that will probably take me a while.

After I finished the main mission to stop Celene's assassination I was pleasantly surprised to see that Skyhold had changed. Before there was a lot of scaffolding and work being done but now that's all gone and it looks better. There are a lot more people in the main hall and I have a few more customization options.

There is a lot of good character work going on. One talk with Sera resulted in my character Maxwell helping her pull pranks on the top advisors. Another time I sat down with the Iron Bull and we drank and talked about bringing down our first dragon. I've talked Cullen through his lyrium withdrawals. I was there with Vivienne at the end of her lover's life. The game has done a good job of really fleshing out these characters and making me care for them.

I do wish the different areas came with a recommended order, or at least a hint of what level one should be at when tackling them. I did Crestwood when my characters were around lvl. 17 or so and all the enemies there were about lvl. 11 which meant I gained no XP from defeating the enemies. Sure, it made it a much easier area to get through but it also felt like wasted effort.

Okay, major spoilers from here on.

The mission to stop Celene's assassination was a fun one. I took Cassandra, Dorian, and Sera with me. I figured they would be a fun bunch to have at a party like that and I wasn't wrong. What I liked about the mission was that it wasn't just about combat. There was combat, of course, but it was mainly about learning secrets and trying to figure out who was behind the assassination, and even if it was a good idea to stop it.

That was a moral dilemma that I liked. Celene's a good ruler, but Gaspard had just as much claim to the throne as she did and has a keen military mind. Putting him on the throne would give us a good ally against the Elder One and his armies, but it would put someone on the throne who could be a major threat to the Inquisition down the road.

In the end I saved Celene. It seemed the best option because it required no major shake-up of Orlesian government and society. Still, I did agonize over the decision. Most of my advisors seemed to be for putting Gaspard on the throne. I did get Gaspard banished as well, though I admit the evidence against him was flaky at best. It did seem like he might have been attempting a coup, but he easily could have just been taking precautions. Either way, he was removed from power. I then sentenced Florianne, the traitor who tried to kill Celene, to manual labor on a farm. It seemed a fitting end for her.

In a sweet moment Dorian asked Maxwell to dance and they did. I was hoping that would happen and it's one of the reasons I brought Dorian with me to the party.

The save Celene mission was just a lot of fun. It was different to other missions and presented its own unique challenges. Roaming the party and looking for secrets and eavesdropping and then turning those secrets over to Leiliana for intel was fun. It was also good to stop a major component of Corypheus's plan. In the future he started with Celene's murder and now she's alive and allied with the Inquisition.

Oh, random insertion but there was a mission for Sera where we go to meet one of her contacts and it's actually a set-up by some snot nosed lord. I was talking to him but had no intention of allowing him to join the Inquisition. Sera, however, got tired of me talking to him and just straight up murdered him. It was crazy, but I can't say I blame her.

The next major mission concerned the Grey Wardens. It turns out that Corypheus was having them all hear the Calling, which is when a Warden knows to go to the Deep Roads and die fighting Darkspawn. However, the head Warden (I've forgotten her name) teamed up with a Tevinter mage (who was secretly working for Corypheus) to use blood magic to call up demons and bind them to Wardens, thus enslaving both demon and Warden to the Elder One. To do this meant sacrificing innocent people. Hawke and his friend Warden friend Stroud figured this out. In the end the Inquisition had to march on Adamant, the stronghold of the Wardens. It was the only way to deny Corypheus an army of demons and Wardens. It was a great battle and there was just a ton going on.

I had a choice to spare some Wardens, and I did. I was glad of that, because it allowed me to convince some others to join my cause later. What was sad though was that in Crestwood I encouraged a woman to join the Wardens after several of them saved her life. She was at Adamant, and was sacrificed to help open a portal to the Fade. It was a gut wrenching scene.

I have to admit, fighting against the Wardens was terrible. Heck, I was a Warden in the first game. I feel like one of them, and to see them brought low by Corypheus and turned into abominations like that was hard to watch. It's like Cullen told my character later: Corypheus is taking the institutions that should be protecting people and corrupting them to his will. The Templars have become his Red Templars and the backbone of his army. He almost turned the Wardens to his side and even though I stopped him it's left the Wardens a much diminished force.

After the battle at Adamant, my team along with Hawke and Stroud, ended up in the Fade. It was a crazy experience that freaked Sera out the most, it seems. Maxwell did recover his memories and there wasn't any big twist. The mark, or Anchor, was a result of grabbing Corypheus's sphere and it was the Divine who shoved Maxwell through the Fade portal, not Andraste.

I had to choose who to leave behind in the Fade so that everyone else could get out. I chose Stroud to stay behind because even though I never played DA:2, I couldn't kill the Hero of Kirkwall.

I also made the decision to let the Wardens help the Inquisition instead of banishing them. I'm hoping that doesn't come back to bite me on the butt.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#14 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

I think you're at the point that I stopped (plot-wise, anyway).  Argh, this is making me want to play, but I have sooo much backlog.  (Heh... cry moar.  Too many games to play is such a tragedy.)

I took people with me to the party-thing who I felt like were good diplomatic choices, iirc, but they didn't really impact things too much.  It sounds like yours were more interesting.

I had to choose who to leave behind in the Fade so that everyone else could get out. I chose Stroud to stay behind because even though I never played DA:2, I couldn't kill the Hero of Kirkwall.

Oh, man, that would have been a much easier decision than I had, I'm jealous!  In my playthrough, Alistair from DA:O was the warden with us in the Fade, so it was a choice between the Hero of Kirkwall and the dude I romanced and married in the first game.  :)   It really is one of the best games out there for having lots of different ways for everyone's playthrough to feel unique.

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:26 PM

I think you're at the point that I stopped (plot-wise, anyway).  Argh, this is making me want to play, but I have sooo much backlog.  (Heh... cry moar.  Too many games to play is such a tragedy.)

Hey, tragedy is in the eye of the beholder. I think most gamers have been in your position. So many good games and too little time.

I took people with me to the party-thing who I felt like were good diplomatic choices, iirc, but they didn't really impact things too much.  It sounds like yours were more interesting.

The diplomatic angle was a smart choice. I took Dorian because I'm dating him and he's a Tevinter mage so I figured that would cause a stir. Cassandra just tells it like it is, and I figured that could be beneficial in a land where the Game rules all. Sera's the ultimate hater of the elite so having her at a party surrounded by them just seemed like a good time. Plus I was given three Red Jenny stashes, though I didn't find them all.

Oh, man, that would have been a much easier decision than I had, I'm jealous!  In my playthrough, Alistair from DA:O was the warden with us in the Fade, so it was a choice between the Hero of Kirkwall and the dude I romanced and married in the first game.  :)   It really is one of the best games out there for having lots of different ways for everyone's playthrough to feel unique.

I don't know who I would have picked to stay behind. That would be agonizing. Who did you eventually choose to stay behind?

Apparently, I got all the Wardens killed. There were war table missions to send them on, and after the first one it told me to be careful in how I deploy them because they took heavy losses. On the next two missions I picked options that seemed likely to keep the Wardens alive but I was told they all died anyway. It angered me, I won't lie. It seemed like a stupid choice to kill the Wardens off that way, and I don't know what I could have done differently to save them aside from just not doing those war table missions.

I played cards with all the characters and it was just a great game. All the characters got time in the spotlight and it was just nice seeing all of them interacting and having fun. I laughed when I saw that Cullen had lost all of his clothes to Josephine. He then waited until everyone left the table to make a mad, naked dash back to his quarters. Later, he even mentioned it when I went to talk to him.

At the moment I feel stuck. I've done basically all the main missions in all the different areas. I still have tears to close and a few random side missions (like find all the letters from dead soldiers) but nothing major to do. Basically every morning before work I go to the war table, pick three missions, and turn off the game. When I come home I turn the game on, pick three more missions, and turn of the game. Then I do it again the next day. I want to have all the war missions done before I go on the final mission. I just wish they didn't take so long. I can understand an hour, maybe two but three to six hours? It's just ridiculous.

I'm also missing a mission. I'm supposed to have a war table mission to find Maddox, the man helping Samson. However, it's not on the map. I have checked every mission. It just doesn't exist. It sucks, because I want to finish it because it's part of Cullen's story line. I'm hoping it magically appears one day.

Aside from war table missions, I'm also trying to do as many character missions as I can. I'm talking to them all so I can make sure I've done everything with them that I can. I think for the most I've done all of their missions.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#16 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:29 PM

I beat Dragon Age: Inquisition. Well, I did most of the things you can do in the game. There are a few Fade Rifts open and about five or so dragons to kill. I’ll talk about my general impressions first and save the spoiler-y stuff for later and put them in a spoiler box.

Having now started playing Dragon Age 2, I can see influences of the game play from that game here. The action in DA:I is more fast paced like in DA:2, but it also feels more strategic like the first game. It’s not just waves of enemies surrounding you (though that does happen). Strategy is needed here, whereas you don’t need a ton of strategy to get through most of DA:2.

Companion armor feels like a mix of the first and second games. You can actually give your companions upgraded armor which is great and a welcome return. However, the armor molds itself to each companion, looking like something that character would actually wear. It makes each character look unique, which is what DA:2 was striving for, while allowing for more customization. You can even change the tint of the armor, though that wastes a lot of resources as I found out. I like being able to change the armor and look of my companions.

I also liked the judgment scenes, where I could put whatever punishment on people that I saw fit. I stayed away from execution and tried to pick punishments that seemed to fit the crime and would truly just irk the condemned.

The game itself was large, much larger than the previous two games. That makes sense, considering it is on the next gen consoles and the developers can do so much more. The areas are gorgeous and varied. I never felt that I was seeing the same basic environments over and over again (something that is happening with DA:2). That said, I do wish the individual stories for each area were more complex and better thought out. The areas in DA:O had fantastic stories and quests to go through. Heck, Orzammar alone could take hours upon hours to complete depending on how much exploration in the Deep Roads you pursued.

The story is much more epic than DA:2 with the fate of the world once more at stake. I’d wager that the threat is even bigger than the Blight from DA:O because it truly threatens all of Thedas, whereas the Blight was more of a threat to just Ferelden at the time. Corypheus was a pretty major threat and I loved how he twisted people and institutions that were meant to be protectors of the realm and turned them into his evil underlings. The Templars and the Grey Wardens fell prey to his machinations and were almost wiped out. The Grey Wardens falling under his spell was a definite gut punch.

There was a good mix of companions in the game, and I like that non-companion characters like Cullen, Leliana, Josephine, etc. were also fleshed out. Having fallen in love with some of the DA:2 companions I do wish we had seen more of them. Varric is cool, and I’m a big fan of Cassandra, but I’d have like to have seen Fenris or Sebastian or even Isabela.

I probably used Dorian, Sera, Varric, and Cassandra the most, though I always brought the Iron Bull with me whenever I had to face a dragon. He seemed to get a big kick out of dragon slaying and he was good at it as well.

Okay, onto the spoilers.

Spoiler

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#17 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

I started another play through. I went to the Dragon Keep and used that to input the choices I made in DA:O and DA2 so I can see the effect on my new game.

I'm using the same basic character I did the first time (gay male warrior who falls in love with Dorian) because I want to make this my "official" play through. The next time I will probably be a Qunari female.

I am taking my time. I have reached Skyhold and unlocked a few new regions but I am in no rush to see how the story unfolds since I already know. I want to really explore the regions and find everything I can as well as play around with some of the mechanics I ignored last time (like making and customizing weapons and armor).
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dragon Age

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users