Supergirl

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

https://tv.yahoo.com...-180100494.html

Last September, when news broke that CBS was developing a Supergirl TV show, I suggested a handful of attractive, capable ladies for the role—and now it appears that the network completely ignored every single one of them! Former Glee star Melissa Benoist has landed the highly sought-after job of playing Kara Zor-El in the upcoming Supergirl, which hails from Arrow's Greg Berlanti and already has a series commitment, TV.com has learned.

I watched Melissa in Glee and thought she did a good job in the role. I'm hoping she can pull off a great Supergirl. I really hope this makes it to a full series. It would be nice to have another Super-related show on the air.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

So this will be on CBS, but in the same universe as CW's Flash and Arrow?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:48 PM

They've flipped-flopped about whether it will be in the same universe or not, as well as whether they'll do a cross-over. It would be interesting to see a cross-over but that may be hard since they are on separate networks. Also, if they are set in the same universe than that means there is no Superman. Or maybe there is but Supergirl is going to become a hero before him.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:11 AM

Superman is mentioned by name in the casting sides (audition scripts) that have been leaked/released, but those are often placeholder scenes that aren't actually in the final show.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

Superman is mentioned by name in the casting sides (audition scripts) that have been leaked/released, but those are often placeholder scenes that aren't actually in the final show.

I wouldn't mind if Superman didn't exist in this show. Or if they decide to change things around and have Kara eventually stumble on a young Clark Kent and have to mentor him instead of the other way around.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

I'm kinda "meh" about the whole thing.

Firstly, Supergirl never really captured my imagination like it did with some other folks I know.

Secondly, while I applaud them casting a relative unknown, I just wish they had cast someone who had a less generic look about her.

Finally, the whole scenario they put forth of a 20-something woman who decided to embrace her powers and call herself "supergirl" (possibly inspired by accounts of Superman) seems kinda weak.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

Well, I was one of those big Supergirl fans back in the day-- and by the day, I mean the day.  :lol:  So I'll give the first episode a try at least.  But superhero concepts seldom make the transition to the screen very well, and the more I like the character, the more critical I am.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

BTW, "Supergirl" has a series commitment from CBS. So we will see a series - how ever long it will be, or last. ;)

Greets
Lambsilencer

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

It would have a better chance on CW, but we'll see....

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

http://www.newsarama...immy-olsen.html

Multiple Hollywood trades are reporting Wednesday evening that CBSPosted Image has cast Mehcad Brooks (Necessary Roughness, True Blood) as James “Jimmy” Olsen in their in-development drama Supergirl. In addition to being the TV version of the classic DC Comics character/best pal to Superman, Olsen will reportedly be the love interest of Melissa Benoist’s Kara/Supergirl.

So Jimmy Olsen has been cast. I don't think I've seen Mehcad Brooks in anything. He's definitely not your average dorky Jimmy Olsen. I'm sure the Internet has all ready exploded since he's not white. I remember how upset people were when it looked like Jenny in MoS was going to be a gender-swapped Jimmy Olsen.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

Is he a redhead?  :lol:

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:39 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 01 February 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

I'm sure the Internet has all ready exploded since he's not white.

Yeah, it's bizarre. That ship sailed when Eartha Kitt played Catwoman in 1967, and it happens routinely now (Nick Fury, Heimdall, Perry White, Iris West, Johnny Storm, etc.), yet there are always people who react with shock as though it's never happened before.

Besides, the comics' Jimmy Olsen is a redhead (though he was originally blond on radio, where he was created), but he's always been played by brown-haired actors in live action -- except for Tommy Bond in the Columbia serials, and those were in black and white.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#13 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

Mehcad Brooks is tall and athletic; he played an NFL football wide receiver on Necessary Roughness. He's got good comedy chops but is certainly not a boyish and dorky Jimmy Olsen. (I think he was on Dollhouse for a couple of episodes, a friend of the real Echo.)

CW and CBS are sister networks, so there would have been a chance to go with the CW if they thought that appropriate.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:46 PM

As originally conceived, Jimmy Olsen was boyish, but not dorky; he was created by the '40s radio series as an audience identification figure for young listeners, so while he was earnest, clean-cut, and kind of square by the standards of our more cynical age, he was meant to be appealing to the audience, to be the character they wanted to be. After all, nobody could be Superman, but being Superman's best pal? That was something young readers and listeners could aspire to. Jimmy was daring, resourceful, witty, and -- in the comics especially -- prone to get into all sorts of wild adventures and be endowed with various weird superpowers or transformations.

So the image of Jimmy as dorky comes mainly from the screen, I think, from actors like Jack Larson in the '50s show and Mark McClure in the Christopher Reeve movies. That's generally been the template ever since, but we've had cool, attractive versions of Jimmy before, like Michael Landes in the first season of Lois and Clark (until the second-season producers decided he was too cool and hip and replaced him with the achingly dull Justin Whalen) and Aaron Ashmore in Smallville (although his character was killed off and retconned into Henry James Olsen, the older cousin of the "real" James Bartholomew Olsen).

Of course, if Jimmy is meant as a romantic interest for Supergirl, it makes sense that they'd cast an attractive actor. He's not here to be Superman's sidekick, after all.

Facebook Author Page

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

Jimmy Olson was never a supporting character for Supergirl.  Why can't these people create an actual Black character?  Then maybe he could cross over to the comics like Olson did and become just as iconic.

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:21 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 03 February 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

Jimmy Olson was never a supporting character for Supergirl.

Yeah, and Felicity Smoak was never a supporting character for Green Arrow. Adaptation means change. It's supposed to be different, or there's no point.

Why can't these people create an actual Black character?  Then maybe he could cross over to the comics like Olson did and become just as iconic.

This is a ridiculous thing to say. DC has created many black characters over the decades, but there's no reason for casting to be segregated. Sensible casting directors cast the best actor for the role without being stupid enough to treat their race as their single defining attribute. Like I said, they keep casting brown-haired actors as Jimmy even though he's a redhead in the comics; why should skin color be any more of a deal-breaker than hair color?

The original creators of the great comics, like Siegel, Shuster, Lee, Simon, and Kirby, were the sons of Jewish immigrants. They experienced discrimination every day of their lives. They didn't make all their early characters white because they wanted to, but because society's racism forced them to. But they frequently coded their characters as outsiders anyway -- Superman was the ultimate immigrant, the X-Men were a different "race," the Hulk was a different skin color and was feared and ostracized, etc. So adding more diversity to the classic comic characters is not betraying their creators' intentions, it's fulfilling them.

Facebook Author Page

#17 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

By the same token, Pete Ross was originally a white kid in the comics, but come Smallville they chose a black actor.

Admittedly, there are many parts of America today where it is predominantly white still, and one can figure that back in the 1940's-1960's when the characters were being created, when society was mostly segregated, it wouldn't be uncommon to find entire communities that were white's only in America.  Even in the big cities, one could figure that there was a racial divide in the neighborhoods, with blacks who worked in white buildings being relegated to being "the help".

Of course, society changes over time, with racial diversity and integration ebbing and flowing with the population shifts, consequently, why shouldn't shows that are produced today reflect this change?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#18 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostG-man, on 04 February 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

By the same token, Pete Ross was originally a white kid in the comics, but come Smallville they chose a black actor.

As I said, it happens so routinely in comics adaptations these days that it's bizarre to see people still reacting to it with surprise. It's hard to find any such adaptations in the past decade that haven't cast nonwhite actors as originally white characters. Although I think that in many cases it's not really surprise, but just a cover for an unwillingness to accept that inclusion is normal now.

Admittedly, there are many parts of America today where it is predominantly white still, and one can figure that back in the 1940's-1960's when the characters were being created, when society was mostly segregated, it wouldn't be uncommon to find entire communities that were white's only in America.  Even in the big cities, one could figure that there was a racial divide in the neighborhoods, with blacks who worked in white buildings being relegated to being "the help".

Which was why the creators weren't allowed to include diversity, but they still wanted to, and started creating racially diverse characters as soon as they were in a position to do so. Given the chance, they would've most likely included more people of color in their original comics casts back in the Silver Age. So casting comic-book characters diversely today isn't getting it wrong, it's correcting a wrong.

Of course, society changes over time, with racial diversity and integration ebbing and flowing with the population shifts, consequently, why shouldn't shows that are produced today reflect this change?

Unfortunately, Hollywood is still slow to catch up with reality, even with the increased effort at inclusion. There are still plenty of shows and films set in New York City or San Francisco that feature majority-white casts even though both cities are majority-nonwhite. Even Big Hero 6, set in an alternate San Francisco/Tokyo hybrid, had a smaller percentage of Asians in its cast of characters than the real city has in its population. But at least they're trying.

Facebook Author Page

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Inclusion doesn't mean putting on a minstrel show.  If you're going to respond to me, be an adult and respond to what I actually said.  Don't waste my time with hipster posturing.  Being a prick is beneath you.  Or so I thought.

#20 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

^^^ OK, RJD, let's try to keep this discussion civil.  Thanks.

I'm guessing the above post is in response to Post #16, yes?

And I'm guessing that the nature of your complaint in Post #15 is more about them repurposing Jimmy Olsen to be Supergirl's romantic interest/supporting character, rather than creating an original character for that role, and not that they are making Jimmy Olsen black.

I believe Christopher still had Virgil Vox's complaint in mind when he was responding to your post, and consequently might've missed just what your complaint was.

Is my interpretation correct, or have I totally missed something?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users