23 replies to this topic

#21 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,931 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

^^  Sorry for the language.  :(

But you're right, of course; we should be creating new Black and other minority and female characters that can stand alongside the classics, not just putting white characters in blackface.  It's irritating to see accusations of "segregation" or "unwillingness to accept inclusion" when the opposite is so obviously true. Some of us have been fighting this battle since the Civil Rights Era and we don't appreciate the self-righteousness.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#22 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

But you're right, of course; we should be creating new Black and other minority and female characters that can stand alongside the classics, not just putting white characters in blackface.  It's irritating to see accusations of "segregation" or "unwillingness to accept inclusion" when the opposite is so obviously true. Some of us have been fighting this battle since the Civil Rights Era and we don't appreciate the self-righteousness.

I agree that new non-white characters should be created. The problem is that when they are created they have a hard time catching on and becoming popular unless they're associated with a big name. Like the new Ms. Marvel or the new Aqualad that was introduced before the New 52 and then retconned into oblivion. So casting a non-white actor in a role that has historically been white is a way to add diversity and ensures the character has some popularity. The comics have done this too. The New 52 version of Wally West is black.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#23 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

It's not about "putting white characters in blackface," because it's not about characters who don't exist, it's about actors who do exist. It's about giving real live human beings the chance to compete fairly for roles, giving the job to the best actor regardless of their resemblance to the source character. It's a double standard to be okay with casting a brown-haired actor like Jack Larson or Marc McClure as the redheaded Jimmy Olsen, yet be opposed to casting a brown-skinned actor in the same role. They both diverge from the source in essentially the same way (more melanin, less carotene). What matters is the talent of the actor, regardless of what that actor looks like.

And it is frankly hypocritical when people are fine with the 6'3", smooth-chested Hugh Jackman playing the 5'3", incredibly hairy Wolverine, or with an Englishman and a Scotsman playing the New York native Charles Xavier, but raise holy hell when the actor is a different race from the character. That just proves they consider race more important than other differences, and that says all that needs to be said about the legitimacy of their objections.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#24 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,931 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

^^  Complaining about casting an Englishman to play Charles Xavier would be as stupid as complaining about casting a Korean to play Hoshi Sato-- which some people did.  We're not talking about "giving actors a fair chance," we're talking about cynically casting minorities as White characters for the sake of marketing.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 February 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

I agree that new non-white characters should be created. The problem is that when they are created they have a hard time catching on and becoming popular unless they're associated with a big name. Like the new Ms. Marvel or the new Aqualad that was introduced before the New 52 and then retconned into oblivion. So casting a non-white actor in a role that has historically been white is a way to add diversity and ensures the character has some popularity. The comics have done this too. The New 52 version of Wally West is black.  
A Black Flash and a Black Wally West are two different things.  The Flash is anybody who is the Flash-- but Wally West is a specific character.  John Stewart took over as Green Lantern, but didn't take over as Hal Jordan.  Jim Rhodes took over as Iron Man, but didn't pretend to be Tony Stark.  The question is, why do minority and female characters have a hard time catching on?  There are plenty of shows on the air today, such as Sleepy Hollow and some other mainstream shows, that star original Black characters.  Turning a White character into a minority or female doppelganger is, at best, patronizing and condescending.  Such a character can only be a novelty-- a token.  If these studios and networks and comic book publishers were serious about diversity, rather than pandering, they would put the power of their marketing behind new minority and female characters that have the status and staying power of the White characters.  Think about it:  If you were a minority, would you rather be a remake or your own man?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users