2 replies to this topic

#1 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

A call for help from IT folks:

I'm looking to set up my old colour laser printer (with a parallel port) as a network printer. I picked up a TP-Link TL-PS110P Ethernet print server, but I'm having trouble setting it up.

For reference, I'm doing this from a Windows 8 laptop.

I plugged it in & downloaded the setup utility, but it couldn't find the print server. I did a bit of poking around, and discovered that it comes with a default IP address of 192.168.0.10, but my home network (driven by my wireless router from my ISP) is 192.168.1.x

I dug out an old hub, and plugged the laptop into it, then manually set my IP address for the wired network to 192.168.0.1. The setup utility still didn't find it, and I can't pull it up on HTTP (I found some indications that it has a basic administration web page embedded). However, I was able to ping it.

Any suggestions for next steps?

Edited by Rhys, 24 January 2015 - 07:58 PM.

"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#2 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

Never mind - got some help from a friend on FB. I just had to turn off wireless once I was wired into it, and run the setup utility. That let me change the IP address, and plug it back into my regular network, and it's all good!
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#3 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:53 AM

That's great they were able to help you. :)  Because I was a bit of a loss, thinking that possibly the old printer possibly didn't have the drivers needed to properly run on Win8/.1.

I have an awesome Canon printer that, though it's worked flawlessly over the 8-10 years I've had it, there aren't any drivers that will update it's usage to all the new kinds of paper technologies they have.  That being, Canon has different levels of paper stock.  Some will use ink a bit differently and thus you get better/different results between them.  They do have free programs in the same place as the drivers specific to my printer which use it, but it simply won't show any of the other paper kinds. :(  Anyway, I'm sorry for drifting off on your thread.  This just happened in the last couple of days and was on my mind.  Sorry Rhys! :)
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users