• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

Posted Image

http://www.hollywood...ed-first-779803

The drama centers on Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman's cousin, who was born on the planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago. After arriving on Earth, Kara was taken in by a foster family, the Danvers, who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers (which she shares with her famous cousin).

Brothers & Sisters and Ally McBeal alum Calista Flockhart co-stars as DC Comics character Cat Grant, True Blood's Mehcad Brooks is set as Jimmy Olsen; Homeland's David Harewood is DC Comics character Hank Henshaw; and Grey's Anatomy's Chyler Leigh plays Alexandra "Alex" Danvers, the confident foster sister of Kara. Laura Benanti will recur, while former Supergirl Helen Slater and former Superman Dean Cain will guest-star in the pilot.

I like the costume. I knew it would have the skirt because the skirt is iconic but I'm glad they added the leggings. My only complaint is that I wish it was a little brighter. The colors are all muted. Heck, they could have just had the yellow belt and yellow around the shield a little brighter and it would be fine.

That's a good cast that is being built up. I'm excited to see Dean Cain and Helen Slater guest star. Jeremy Jordan has also been added to the cast as Winslow Schott, the future Toyman.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,908 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

As recent Internet memes should remind us, it isn't always easy to judge color from a single photo. It might look brighter in sunlight. Still, while the colors and textures are in the modern style, it's a surprisingly classic design by Colleen Atwood, much less of a departure from the source than her Arrow and Flash costume designs. (By the way, I'm now hearing that CBS is suggesting this show won't be in the Arrow/Flash universe. Which makes sense, since a world where Superman is already a well-known hero is kind of hard to reconcile with the CW-verse.)

Oh, and so far they're describing "Winn" Schott as a friend of Kara's rather than a prospective villain. So it could be a reimagining like Caitlin Snow on The Flash.

And it's going to be confusing if they call her Kara Danvers, with Marvel planning to do a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel movie in a few years. In the comics, Kara went by Linda Lee Danvers in her civilian identity.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

(By the way, I'm now hearing that CBS is suggesting this show won't be in the Arrow/Flash universe. Which makes sense, since a world where Superman is already a well-known hero is kind of hard to reconcile with the CW-verse.)

I actually think that's best. It lets Supergirl do her own thing without having to worry what those other two shows are doing. Plus, there could still be a slim chance of the shows crossing over if they introduce the concept of the Multiverse, which the Flash can access.

Oh, and so far they're describing "Winn" Schott as a friend of Kara's rather than a prospective villain. So it could be a reimagining like Caitlin Snow on The Flash.

True, but one description does say their friendship might be awkward if he ever becomes Toyman so there is always that possibility. Maybe it will be like Lex in Smallville. They start friends but end up as enemies.

I do wonder what villains they will use. Supergirl doesn't have a big rogues gallery. Silver Banshee was a foe during the Gates/Igle run. They could bring in the Worldkillers and Simon Tycho from the New 52. Reactron was a major foe during the New Krypton arc. She had some good foes during Peter David's run, but those were linked to the Earthborn angel plot so not sure if they will be brought in.

Still, I'm just excited as can be to see a Supergirl show on TV.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,908 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 07 March 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Plus, there could still be a slim chance of the shows crossing over if they introduce the concept of the Multiverse, which the Flash can access.

I've heard some people express the hope for a "Flash of Two Worlds" crossover with the 1990 TV series. I'd love to see that (as long as it doesn't scuttle my belief that the '90 series took place in the DC Animated Universe), although it seems hard to reconcile with John Wesley Shipp playing Henry Allen here.

But yeah, it might be fun to see the Flash used as a way to cross over the various DC TV universes. Maybe he could  drop in on Gotham along with Oliver, and they could give young Bruce some guidance. Or maybe they could have a Flash episode visiting John Constantine's world as a way of wrapping up loose threads if that show gets cancelled. I very much doubt it, though.

Still, I'm just excited as can be to see a Supergirl show on TV.

I think they should bring in Batgirl as a recurring partner. And do episodes adapting Mike Maihack's cartoons. :D
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:03 AM

I've heard some people express the hope for a "Flash of Two Worlds" crossover with the 1990 TV series. I'd love to see that (as long as it doesn't scuttle my belief that the '90 series took place in the DC Animated Universe), although it seems hard to reconcile with John Wesley Shipp playing Henry Allen here.

That would be a cool idea but it does seem unlikely since they do have Shipp all ready playing Barry's dad and in an upcoming episode

Spoiler

I think they should bring in Batgirl as a recurring partner. And do episodes adapting Mike Maihack's cartoons. :D

That would be amazing. Honestly, I wish there was a monthly comic series featuring those two. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I would like to see the show introduce Maxima and Comet from the current Supergirl run. I like how they've changed Maxima from her angry, must find a mate now, destructive character to a more nuanced person with her own desires. At the moment there's not much to Comet other than good looks and the fact that he's a himbo, but he still works well with Supergirl.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,908 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

^Plus they've already had Amanda Pays reprise Tina McGee, and there's another '90 series veteran (Vito D'Ambrosio, I think) reprising his character as well in an upcoming episode.

But they aren't the problem. You'd expect an alternate timeline to have the same people with different life experiences, like in the Mirror Universe in Star Trek or the Other Side in Fringe. The problem is having John Wesley Shipp be the odd one out -- all these other actors being the same character in both realities, but Shipp being Barry Allen, son of Henry in one universe and Henry Allen, father of Barry in the other.

Facebook Author Page

#7 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 March 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

In the words of Beck Oliver, "Beautiful is all I see."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, Superman