Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvels Agents of SHIELD Marvel TV

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,525 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

Well, OK, Skye's secret is out in the open and is causing fractures among the gang.

On one side there's Fitz (Yay, Fitz!!!), May and Coulson;
On the other side there's Bobbi, and Mack;
And somewhere in between are the betrayed Hunter and Simmons.

It was nice to see the Kree actually being depicted as a responsible power that is cleaning up after themselves, for all that the Kree soldier (what was his name?) ran afoul Sif: Warrior Princess.  And this was a handy way to dump a bunch of exposition into the origins of the Inhumans, without actually bogging down the narrative with the mystery.  It helped to confirm much that was previously suggested, and pretty much lays the groundwork at the scope of the menace that the gang must face if they're to deal with it.

A nice touch was the Kree's dependence on Nitrogen ... I believe this trait was established in Marvel's original Captain Marvel, and it is nice to see a callback to it. Also that the Kree seemingly employ a variety of equipment that resembles hammers, from his truncheon to Ronan's big honkin' Hammer of Judgement.

Sif proved engaging to watch as she works to recover her sense of self after being mind-wiped by the Kree.  That she was a warrior, that she was a capable warrior, and that she had a purpose definitely served as confidence builders for her, as she and the gang went after the Kree.

I also liked that the Kree undid the damage once he realized that his and their goals were the same, and he sought to prove himself worthy.  That there was tensions between the Aesir/Asgardians and the Kree was interesting, along with the Asgardian attitude that you couldn't trust the Kree ... either this is a reference to their duplicitous practices, or an indication of just how faceted that Empire was, leaving one forever uncertain about just whom they were dealing with.  In fact, in the revelation by the Kree, it was mentioned that it was a particular discredited faction that was behind the Terragenesis Project; and given the Kree disavowing and disclaiming any responsibility for Ronan's actions, in Guardians of the Galaxy, I think the latter view might be the most accurate.

Then there's the forced revelation concerning Skye, when both the Kree and Sif are starting to question just what happened in that chamber where Skye witnessed Rayna's transformation.  This raised a point that if Skye was there when Rayna's transformation took place, and Tripp died, just how was it that she emerged unchanged.  Woops.  She didn't, and now we have the Kree and Sif vying to either destroy or take custody of her while Coulson and May move to save her, with the gang stepping in to stop the Kree.  Good touch that it was Bobbi's martial prowess and turning the Kree's own truncheon against him that finally brought him down.

Also, I rather liked that Sif, after so avidly pursuing Skye, stood down once she saw that Skye was willing to harm herself in order to limit the damage/save the others.  Proof positive that at least there is some kind of safety within an Inhuman ... which means that, as we know, they are more than simply weapons to be destroyed or otherwise contained.  They do possess a conscience and a sense of right from wrong, and if trained can positively control their abilities ... which reinforces the point they were making in last week's episode.

As for our gang, hopefully they'll reveal the whole Bobbi-Mack agenda soon, as we can figure that Hunter's going to harbor some hard feelings.  Then also, we have some lovely Fitz-Simmons angst to enjoy as she has to cope with the fact that he lied to her to protect Skye.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 13 March 2015 - 12:35 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

Pretty good, except for the end. How come Skye showed no aftereffects from shooting herself in the arm? Not even a bandage, and her mobility was totally unimpaired. Is that another of her superpowers they forgot to mention?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,525 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

^^^ My impression was that it was an ICER Round which somehow magically doesn't cause a visible wound while incapacitating the target.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, I figured that out in the interim.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

She also just helpfully confirmed that they don't need to upgrade the Icers, since standard rounds were enough to take her out.

And I'm referring to that Kree as Alien-Pete. He was totally here to recover artifacts. And he ended up getting whammied.

There's probably a Kree Artie out there yelling at him even now.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 11 March 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

And I'm referring to that Kree as Alien-Pete. He was totally here to recover artifacts. And he ended up getting whammied.

Holy cow, you're right! And W13 veteran Drew Z. Greenberg wrote the episode, so this may not have been accidental.

Facebook Author Page

#7 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:08 PM

The last two eps seemed slow to me. I'm so glad I have this motley crew to flesh it out for me!

And Lady Sif is always a pleasure (Damn, I'm starting to sound like Christopher)

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

Eh, that "noble warrior" thing always bored me and it's a cliche that has long since worn out its welcome in TV Sci Fi.  I sometimes wish there had never been a Worf.

But I thought this was a really good episode.  We got to meet Kree Captain Lat-Timmer, who was an interesting character.  He was here to save the Earth as far as he was concerned, but his cure was a little harsh on the victims.  And he distanced himself from the faction that was responsible from the genetic engineering, but admitted that it would likely be restarted if the Kree found out how successful it was.  I'm not sure if he was acting on behalf of a more friendly faction or acting on his own.

And Bobbie and Mack may not be HYDRA, but they're up to something-- and now they've got to deal with Hunter.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Youkai

Youkai
  • Islander
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Bobbie and Mack were acting on behalf of the US gov't trying to figure out all of Fury's secrets and to keep an eye on SHIELD. But they probably aren't HYDRA.

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

Mack and Bobbie were pretty clearly talking about HYDRA as the enemy -- "Remember how it felt to learn that so many of our colleagues were HYDRA?" or words to that effect. They're on the side of somebody who considers themselves the good guys, and they seem to be trying to determine whether or not Coulson's team are also good guys. Or something like that.

Facebook Author Page

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

^ Yeah, and the other's response to that line was specifically "But we're NOT Hydra!"  To which the first basically responded that they had been lying, which would still be seen as a betrayal.  

So yeah, not Hydra.  NO idea what they are though.  (And I saw something extremely odd in a blurb for a future episode, that confuses things even more.  I'll just wait till it happens though to discuss it, because it makes no sense.  :crazy: )

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 17 March 2015 - 01:10 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostChristopher, on 11 March 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostCybersnark, on 11 March 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

Holy cow, you're right! And W13 veteran Drew Z. Greenberg wrote the episode, so this may not have been accidental.

Alternately, you could say he was "Magical Me"ed!  :hehe:  (Made even funnier by the fact that Thor was directed by Kenneth Brannagh!  :lol: )

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 17 March 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

(And I saw something extremely odd in a blurb for a future episode, that confuses things even more.  I'll just wait till it happens though to discuss it, because it makes no sense.  :crazy: )  
You have piqued my curiosity.  :mellow:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:57 PM

^ Ok, I'll share it, but it was one of those brief blurbs that are often misleading, and sometimes just plain wrong.  And I sure this will mean something very different when it happens.  But right now it's just bizarre.  :crazy:

It's not for the next episode, (airing in about 10 minutes), but for next week's, the March 24 episode.  (Two episodes after the one this thread is for.)

I have bolded the strange part:

Spoiler

That line, after we just saw Hunter confront Mack ... yeah.  I have no idea.  

At the very least it sounds like things might be wildly different from what they seem.  And I don't even know what it seems like now! :freakoutnonny:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 17 March 2015 - 08:18 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

Even stranger after the ending of last night's episode.  :mellow:

#16 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:25 PM

I think the blurb might be poorly worded and it means that Bobbi and Mack tell Hunter where their loyalty lies, i.e. with "real SHIELD."
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

I see what you're saying.  They declare where their loyalties lie.  You're probably right.

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

Yeah.  After the last one aired, I decided that's what it must mean.  It's just really badly worded.  :headshake:

I did say those blurbs were often misleading, LOL!

Also, that ep title ... :oh:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, interesting.  Who's gonna be in love?  Fitz and Simmons?  Coulson and May?  Bobbie and Hunter?  Skye and... um... Teleporter Guy?

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

"Teleporter guy" is named Gordon.  :) (Who I'm really starting to like, BTW. :hehe: )

And it looks like Ward and Agent 33 are coming back, so I suppose it could be them.  (Also, I have chosen "Ward 33" as their ship name.  I just think it's hilarious, because it sounds like a mental hospital, and they are both insane, LOL!  :lol: )

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 24 March 2015 - 05:55 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users