• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,712 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 28 March 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

Though I am not sure I get it. Hufflepuff in Harry Potter was the house of gregarious witches and wizards, correct? Was he making a joke about them pretending to be feel-good friendly good-guys? Wouldn't a more apt comparison be hypocritical critics of Dumbledore/Order of the Phoenix?

I think he was using Hufflepuff in the sense of the less cool second bananas. Coulson's team is Hogwarts, HYDRA is Slytherin, so these also-rans are Hufflepuff. (Or Ravensclaw or whatever the fourth one is called, but I guess Hufflepuff sounds more demeaning.)

View Postsierraleone, on 28 March 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

Though, to be fair, neither Elsa nor Skye were the first characters to use gloves to block/manage/control a super-human-ability. ;) First comes to mind for me is X-men's Rogue, but I am sure there are plenty of examples.

The one who should come to mind is the person that Skye is actually supposed to be -- Daisy "Quake" Johnson. She wears special control gloves to regulate her seismic powers, and that's what we're seeing re-enacted here... except that in the comics it was Nick Fury who trained and guided her.

As for Ward/Agent 33... I am wondering if he is grooming agent 33 for at least one of the same reasons Garret groomed Ward. Say, imagine a Garret actually cared about Ward, but still had a firm nefarious purpose for grooming Ward to follow blindly.

And this assume Ward actual cares about Agent 33, and could possibly be doing the actions he did this episode for completely non-selfish reasons....  And is not doing these actions to gain her trust, loyalty and admiration to use her to further some future plot he has planned.

No, I just don't believe that. Ward sees 33 as a kindred spirit, another victim. He's trying to help her through the same process of recovery and healing he believes himself to have gone through, although he still thinks that kidnapping, torturing, and killing people is a perfectly okay way to do that.

Agent 33 didn't want the guys who fixed her face to be killed.

I'm surprised Ward did that. What if the mask is damaged again? That guy was the only one who could repair it.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#22 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,153 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

View PostChristopher, on 28 March 2015 - 08:29 PM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 28 March 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

Though I am not sure I get it. Hufflepuff in Harry Potter was the house of gregarious witches and wizards, correct? Was he making a joke about them pretending to be feel-good friendly good-guys? Wouldn't a more apt comparison be hypocritical critics of Dumbledore/Order of the Phoenix?

I think he was using Hufflepuff in the sense of the less cool second bananas. Coulson's team is Hogwarts, HYDRA is Slytherin, so these also-rans are Hufflepuff. (Or Ravensclaw or whatever the fourth one is called, but I guess Hufflepuff sounds more demeaning.)

OK, that makes sense :D

And it is not just the word sounds demeaning, but many would consider Hufflepuffs lightweights, and some would put less value on Hufflepuffs values. Not to mention, IIRC, they were also near consistently last in the House Cup :)

If one had to describe each house's most prized trait, it would probably be bravery for Gryffindor, ambition for Slytherin, and intelligence for Ravenclaw. Hufflepuff is actually probably the most rounded house. I don't think I can actually pin it down to one trait. Sportspersonlike might be the closest. They are said to value hard work, patience, loyalty, and fair play.

Edited by sierraleone, 28 March 2015 - 09:35 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#23 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

I'd put Coulson's SHIELD as Ravenclaw, with the Avengers themselves as Gryffindor, and HYDRA as Slytherin. So yeah, these guys are Hufflepuff.

While everyone else is out saving/conquering the world, they're doing things involving paste, glitter, and safety-scissors.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#24 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

^ :lol: I think you nailed it!

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#25 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,490 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 28 March 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

View PostG-man, on 26 March 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Thanks, SFG,

I had also missed Fitz no longer wanting a monkey ... so, yeah, some big chunks were supplied in those clips, but there's still much that is missing :(

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Did you see the scene where Coulson talked to Skye in her cell?  (From memory).  He said they were going to go for a ride, and she asked "Why do I feel like Old Yeller?"

Coulson was surprised that she knew the reference, and she said "I've had a lot of time on my hands ... and also Fitz wants a dog. "

Coulson: "I though Fitz wanted a monkey?"

Skye: "He's being more realistic."

SFG

Nope.  Missed that as well.

As best as I can recall, when I joined in, Skye and Coulson were already at the cabin.

Oh, well, something else to look forward to on the DVD.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users