Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Can we have the ability to embed tweets? Oh Orpheus ...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:06 PM

I think it's probably clear what I'm describing.  If not, I could find an example.  

Is this possible Orph? :angelnot:

SFG

PS. I would be content to just do this once, if you could embed it for me manually.  :)
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

I do use Twitter, but I'm afraid I'll need an example of exactly what you're seeking

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

Probably the reverse of being able to feed a post on EI to Twitter or Facebook.  Actually, wasn't there once talk of being able to embed blog posts and stuff (e.g. a hilariously funny web comic about tipsy elephants) in threads on EI? That's probably the sort of thing that Sci-Fi Girl means.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:03 AM

Maybe you're right, but I don't see the connection that you seem to see.

I can definitely export or import a hilariously mind-expanding comic on the profound insights of tipsy pachyderms from one website to another via RSS, but I wasn't even aware that The Lads were on Twitter. I can DEFINTELY import a specific Twitter channel or RSS feed into an EI thread or series if that's what SFG --or you-- want. Easy Peasy. It just wan't clear to me that that was what SFG was asking for. You know how "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"? Well, "when all you have is a 1001-pc Snap-on tool trolley; carpentry, welding, and metalworking shops; CNC and digital fabrication facilities... well, everything looks like a possibility"

Come visit my Makerspace, The Artisan's Asylum, and get a glimpse of what it's like to be lost in possibilities.

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

:D  I'll find an example, but after seeing it dozens of times while browsing, it's suddenly hard to find when I'm looking for one. ;)

All I want is for a single tweet to show up in my post, much like embedding a YouTube video.  There is even a button on every tweet for that purpose, but it gives HTML code.

Here is an example of an embedded tweet at another forum. See the first post on this page.  (And yes, that is Shatner talking about Once Upon a Time.  He's a big fan, and he likes to tease the fandom.  Like sarcastically mocking Captain Hook. ;) )

Embedded tweets can also carry pictures with them.  (Also first post.)

And here is a page from twitter explaning the process for developers.  

To see the embed code, go to a tweet and click on the three little dots for "more", and then on "embed tweet".  That gives you HTML code to paste at website or forum.  (the code tag here won't show it all)

And here is that tweet posted at a forum.

SFG :harper:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 05 April 2015 - 10:44 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

That would be cool to have, especially since Twitter is a good place to get information on upcoming books, movies, and television shows.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:03 PM

Please understand that I think I I can probably do what you want.if I understand what that is. I sincerely don't wish to be difficult, I'd get a certain satisfaction from doing anything that enriches the EI experience  (hence my many failed experiments)

It's just that the universe of possibilities (as I see it) is so large that it's hard to hit any specific target without a clear image of it.

:"Zathras is good at doings, not understandings. This... is wrong tool."

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:22 AM

I explained quite a lot in my previous post, I'm not sure what else to explain?  Maybe if you tell me what you got out of that post, then I could fill in the gaps?

Because so far I have described the result I want, linked to an example of that result at another forum, and linked to a technical looking page on how the process works.

At the moment I can't think how to be more specific than that.  Tell me what's missing!

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 08 April 2015 - 08:22 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:24 AM

*double post* ;)

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 08 April 2015 - 02:26 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:56 PM

I've waited a week and a half to post the thing I wanted to post.  I'm not waiting any longer.  I'm going to quote it.

I still think this would be a really useful feature to have, if we can figure it out.  I've been spending time at another forum, and I've seen just how useful it can be.  Everyone in the industry now seems to post announcements and tidbits on twitter.  If we could just pass along the tweet, that would be really great.

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

This is what the embed code looks like:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A special thanks to <a href="https://twitter.com/...anieldaekim</a> for lending his voice for a little cluckity cluck cluck vocal cameo on tonight&#39;s <a href="https://twitter.com/...ceUponATime</a> !</p>— Adam Horowitz (@AdamHorowitzLA) <a href="https://twitter.com/...21003776">March 2, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's all HTML.

I think we just need a UBB code that parse that into a post.  Sci-Fi Girl, can you quote a post from the other forum and copy that part to here so that Orph can see what it looks like?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

We do have a Twitter code, it seems, but all it does is link to an account-- at least that's all I can get it to do.

@RJDiogenes

Maybe this page will be helpful.

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:30 AM

Thanks RJ!  I think we're getting somewhere now!

View PostRJDiogenes, on 10 April 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

I think we just need a UBB code that parse that into a post.  Sci-Fi Girl, can you quote a post from the other forum and copy that part to here so that Orph can see what it looks like?

Ok, I've tried quoting a post from there.  But it may work differently there than here, as that forum uses a combination of BBCode and HTML in posting.  (Which can actually be really confusing. ;) )

I think I have copied the correct segment:

<iframe title="Embedded Tweet" style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); -moz-border-top-colors: none; -moz-border-right-colors: none; -moz-border-bottom-colors: none; -moz-border-left-colors: none; border-image: none; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; border-radius: 5px; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15); width: 500px;" allowfullscreen="" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" height="211"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Make of that what you will!  :)

SFG

edit, code got messed up at first.  this is the right one

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 11 April 2015 - 12:37 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

Okay, that's not quite what I was hoping for.  :lol:

It will probably be helpful to Orph, though. Over at ReNext, we've got the option of creating custom codes which are actually written in HTML and then compiled into a UBB shell, so to speak.  Maybe Orph can use that sample to do the same thing here.

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

This might be what we need.

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

^^  I just built a custom BBCode at ReNext using what I found on that page and it works!  :timewarp:

#17 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

Yay!  You figured it out RJ!!!  :woohoo:

Now we just need Orpheus.  Yoohoo!  :batting_eyelashes:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 12 April 2015 - 05:39 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#18 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:21 PM

:lol:

This board uses different software, but probably not that different. Orph should be able to do it in about ten seconds once he sees this.  :nod:

#19 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot that exisle is an IP board, I've posted at a number of PHPBB boards before.

But no matter, you still narrowed down exactly what we're looking for! :cool:  

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#20 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

Without going into all the details: you did provide me with everything I need, but the links weren't showing up as clickable on my end, hence my confusion about what you wanted

The link failure was due to problems on the machine I use to manage EI (it crashed a few days later from HDD partition corruption). Unfortunately, even after I installed a new HDD, the Linux dual-boot method I used (years ago) prevented a full system backup restore and (for unrelated reasons) the machine wasn't recognizing my Windows license key. Since you can only use a Win install for 30 days without an accepted license key, I didn't want to waste time reconfigging, only to have that work lost.

Yes, I could have worked around this several ways, but I really wanted to find a permanent solution. I ended up wasting my few free evenings in the next few weeks on hold with CSRs who couldn't help.

That system is finally restored and validated again, but I'm playing catch up on various other projects stored on that machine. I'll get on this when I have a chance. I have the info I need. Thanks.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users