• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

It's just backstory - no larger plotty significance, IMO. They did it because it establishes Gonzales as a Coulson figure - someone who lost his faith but had to continue to soldier on.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#22 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:13 PM

^^  Why did he lose his faith?  Why did he regain it?  What brought on this inspiration to rise through the ranks?  It's too specific to be just random backstory.

View PostOrpheus, on 04 April 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

Gonzales didn't know if Colson knew who he was, so I doubt he was evading Colson's search for him.  
But he knew that Coulson was out there recruiting former SHIELD agents.

Gonzales returned "with a vengeance" some time after his wife died, and rose to command "three years later". While this doesn't technically PROVE very much about the timing, I think it suggests that Robert Gonzales' wife died 4, maybe 5, years before the Hydra uprising. I turn to those of you more familiar with the timeline: does this suggest any specific alien-related event that may have caused Mrs Gonzales demise? I don't have a good sense of the exact timeline from Thor to The Avengers (culminating in Colson's demise/'rescue') and the Hydra uprising.  
I know almost nothing about the movies, but, according to Wiki, the first movies came out in 2008, which was six years before the uprising.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#23 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 05 April 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

^^  Why did he lose his faith?  

Because his wife died.

Why did he regain it?

Through hard work, obviously.

What brought on this inspiration to rise through the ranks?

Many people throw themselves into work after the death of a spouse, which is what the dialogue tells us. This doesn't have to be pedantic.

It's too specific to be just random backstory.

Again, not random. It was done to give the new antagonist a backstory and driving force that vibrates on the same frequency as that of the protagonist - which makes for a more interesting, more nuanced conflict than if EJO was just twirling his (fabulous) mustache the whole time.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#24 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

That would be all well and good for the Lifetime Channel, but this is SHIELD.  The protagonist was brought was brought back from the dead to lead us into a new Golden Age.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users