• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 02:49 PM

What does not get mentioned in all this is Davis' effort to hire up all the companies who collect signatures in the state to thwart the efforts in the first place. You don't think that didn't have an effect on the recall effort "bussing in" signature gatherers? But I digress.

First I have heard of it.  Could you link to a source for that story, please?

As I said above, if you don't see a difference nothing I say will convince you of it, so you're arguing with no opposition there.  

None of my statements here should be taken as an endorsement of Davis, btw, or any other candidate for that matter.

Issa reversing himself adds a whole new layer of bitter funny to the mess. I think McClintock should stay in.  He's really the only major candidate I think really shows the strength of his convictions.

Ro

#22 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 02:57 PM

HubcapDave, on Sep 24 2003, 12:39 PM, said:

Rhea, on Sep 24 2003, 10:01 AM, said:

What Ro said. If the majority of the people soliciting signatures for the recall had been folks like Kimmer, then I would have believed it was genuine grassroots effort rather than a bankrolled power play. Instead, they were non-residents bussed in from out of state.

Generally speaking, most of the folks out soliciting signatures for petitions in MY area, at least, are not generally paid to do it - they volunteer their time, and I often actually know them. THAT is a genuine effort.
Again, however the signatures were collected doesn't really matter. It mattrers that the signatures were collected!

What does not get mentioned in all this is Davis' effort to hire up all the companies who collect signatures in the state to thwart the efforts in the first place. You don't think that didn't have an effect on the recall effort "bussing in" signature gatherers? But I digress.

The simple fact of that matter is that in excess of 1.5 million votes were collected to initiate the recall, twice what was needed to initiate the recall.
It may not matter to you, but it matters to me. To me, this whole recall this is a good example of how you can buy absolutely anything if you throw enough $$ at it.

I guess Darryl Issa has learned that while big bucks can buy you a recall, they can't necessarily buy you a governership. :p :p

This is no way impugns the motives of the people like Mac and Kimmer who signed out of conviction. What it does impugn is the motive of a man who would give close to 2 million bucks in the hope of being governor himself in the end.

Plus, this election is a joke anyway. IIRC we could end up with a new governor who only got 15% of the vote.  :eek2:  :eek2:

That to me is sheer lunacy. I'd prefer an honest election and a governor elected by a majority of the people in this state (oh, wait, we had that this past year! :p) I am not by any means a fan of Gray Davis, but a majority of the people in this state voted him back into office, and as far as I'm concerned, like it or not, that should have been the end of it.

And just to give you an idea of exactly what Darryl Issa and the recall hath wrought, three Sonoma county council members got handed recall petitions this week because Indian gaming is being considered in that county, and two of them didn't support the stupid Indian gaming in the first place! Recall mania, indeed! I suspect that a potential recall will be a bludgeon poised over the head of every governor from here on out, regardless of party.

Edited by Rhea, 24 September 2003 - 03:20 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#23 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 03:00 PM

I'll have to dig for a link to the strories on it. Basically, when Davis realized he was up against an actual effort here, and not some minor BS, one of the things he did was organize his "Taxpayers Against The Recall" group and hiring up as many  pollsters as he could find to push his bogus anti-recall "petition".

#24 Yama

Yama
  • Islander
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 04:02 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Sep 23 2003, 10:35 PM, said:

So, let's see... the main options in California are: Incompetence, Sleaziness, and Vapidity.

Yeah, but from California, could we expect anything less.
Straight, conservative, capitalist and pro-life African-American Christian.  Any Questions?

#25 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 04:32 PM

I'm sorry, but the look of the people who comes and gets my signatures makes zero difference to me.  Why should it?  They're just messengers.  The point of what I was saying is that you can have nice, well-intentioned individuals who are completely wrong and have someone from a company who comes to your house be supporting a program that is 100% right.  Earnest looking people may be true believers, but plenty of people out there are quite capable of believing things that are wrong.  

And don't be intentionally obtuse, you know full well the point I made is that you don't support a program just by the "look" of the people who gather the signatures, not that all "grassroots" people are crackpots.  If you're signing nor not signing a petition based on that, instead of informing yourself on the issue, then you need to re-think signing a petition handed by you by anyone.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#26 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 04:46 PM

I wasn't talking about the look either.  

I was talking about the comparison of "true believers" to suicide bombers and alien suicide cults.

Not obtuse, just objecting to the comparison since I was the one who you made the statement you were taking exception to.

Ro

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Recall Election, Issa, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users