• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

Every now and then I find something truly amazing on YouTube, and I feel the need to share.  :)  These are things that are truly creative works of art.  :cool:

I'll post the first one shortly.  :D

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

:attention: Warning:  this one will break your heart.  :(

This is the music video for "The Curse", by folk singer Josh Ritter.  The drummer is also a puppeteer, and so he made this touching video with puppets to illustrate the song.  An inspired video, for an inspired song, of a heartfelt and moving story.

This is a love story between an archeologist and her mummy.  It may sound silly, but it is actually both moving and heartbreaking.  And by the end, you will understand what the mummy's curse truly is.  :humble:

And here is an article on the making of the puppet video.

SFG :cry:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 06 April 2015 - 01:50 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

Wow, that is beautiful and sad.  :cry:  I love it.  It certainly proves that music video can be just as much of an art form as anything else.

I'll see if I can think of anything to post here, but it will be hard to top that.  :mellow:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Okay, here's one of my all-time favorite YouTube videos.  I watch this whenever I need a reminder of why I love this planet and the people on it.  You can watch it a thousand times and always see something new.

:happy:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

Excellent new thread! Good idea, SFG.  :happy:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 06 April 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

This is a love story between an archeologist and her mummy.  It may sound silly, but it is actually both moving and heartbreaking.  And by the end, you will understand what the mummy's curse truly is.  :humble:
Beautifully done, and, yes, that's what the curse really is.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 07 April 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

Okay, here's one of my all-time favorite YouTube videos.  I watch this whenever I need a reminder of why I love this planet and the people on it.  You can watch it a thousand times and always see something new.
This is brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! I am putting the link in my file for the scifi I'm writing, which is next up when I finish what I'm working on now, and will use it for inspiration.  :happy:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:32 PM

This is pretty amazing:

I need to track down more stuff by Leslie Fish.  :happy:

#8 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:18 AM

Too windy to take my walk this morning, so I cheered myself up by watching the Matt dancing again. Then I watched the first one, then the third, then the outtakes. So I went to YouTube to see what else was out there, and got the hilarious HOAX video, followed by the HOAX is a HOAX.  It's all good.   :happy:
Just found the original video from 2005, and it's on deck.  :D

"I've got my Paul Is Dead, and I did it to myself."   :howling:

And here is the original, shot in 2003 and 2004:
Where the Hell is Matt? 2005

Edited by Nonny, 06 June 2015 - 09:36 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 05 June 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

This is pretty amazing:

Wow!!
Posted Image

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostNonny, on 06 June 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

And here is the original, shot in 2003 and 2004:
Where the Hell is Matt? 2005  
I love the part in Thailand.  :lol:

View PostNonny, on 06 June 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

Wow!!  
Isn't that wonderful?  Turns out Leslie Fish is a famous Filker.  The things I don't know, even after all these years.

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:09 PM

Here's another one, but it's a bit longer than the others, so make sure you have about twenty minutes to relax and enjoy it.  It's absolutely lovely.

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:00 PM

So sweet.  :hearts:
Posted Image

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

Isn't it nice?  I actually came across it on TCM On Demand.

#14 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:06 PM

Does parody count? I'm a big fan of parody, and have I mentioned lately that Bobby's mom was my voice teacher?  :D

Posted Image

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

Feh!  :lol:

Now to find those filthy videos....

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Here's a goodie:

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:29 PM

:)

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

This thread needs reviving. :cool:

~~~

I can't even begin to imagine how much time and planning went into this one!  :eek3:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Marbles, Magnets, and Music (Synchronized)
By DoodleChaos

SFG :D

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 01 August 2018 - 09:40 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,537 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:03 AM

pretty cool.  Good Ideas owith the magnets.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

^ Yep, so many neat ideas in there!  :)

Here are two more from the same person, with more marble run trick shots (but not synchronized to music).  They get increasingly complex!

Marble Run Magnet Tricks

Dude Perfect on a Budget | 2-D Trick Shots
(Marble Run Basketball! :D)

SFG :cool:

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users