Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvels Agents of SHIELD Marvel TV

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

So ... we get our first real introduction to the community of the Inhumans.  Apparently, the Inhumans first scan themselves, study and prep, for the big moment when they go into the mists, then have a "transitioner" who helps them adjust to the new sensations and powers coursing through their bodies, as well as define just what changes were wrought.  Then, they're paired up with a mentor who helps them master their abilities, both for their own good, but also for the good of the community.

Gordon (the teleporter) is the gatekeeper for the community, transporting everyone to a remote mountain location that most (if not all) the inhabitants remain in total ignorance of where it is.  Probably just as well, knowing how squirrelly people can be.

A depressed Rayna is seemingly keeping to herself, still unreconciled to the nature of her transformation.  Meanwhile, it is very evident that Calvin (Skye's dad) is being kept isolated by the Inhumans.  Then we have the elder, Jaiying (Jai-Ying?), who proves to be Mrs. Calvin (and Skye's mom) ... which, given what we know of her past, and from the evidence of her scars, apparently cannot die so long as she retains her structural integrity.  The speculation I've seen suggests that Cal put her back together, before they broke up over the loss of their only daughter.

Finally, there is lightning-boy, Lincoln, who is being rather "Hit and Miss" when dealing with Skye.  That Skye and Rayna got transformed "old-school" by way of diviner and Kree Temple is causing some waves within the community.

I get the sense that the Inhumans are generally benevolent towards their own, content to remain anonymous and living out their lives in general obscurity.  Unfortunately, the world is closing in on them, what with HYDRA's and SHIELD's new priority regarding the powered.

And speaking of SHIELD ... the Gonzales Gang is still trying to recruit Coulson's Crew, unfortunately, their aggressive play vis-a-vis Fury's Toolbox and Skye, pretty much scuppered their chances as Gonzales fails to admit that simply claiming to be the "Real SHIELD" isn't enough to establish bona-fides when he's out gunning for their old boss.  His insistence that he's the good guy, and therefore those who oppose him are bad guys, blinds him from recognizing how his own actions might be perceived by others.  Case in point: the whole "Coulson's acting like a fugitive" argument, is negated by the fact that Guys with Guns are actively pursuing him.  Then, with Gonzales seeking some other lever to coerce Coulson into coming in ... namely, Agent May and the Bus, that doesn't help matters.

If anything, it is Gonzales' willingness to let Fitz go scott free that will play to his favor far more than any strategems he may devise.  His offering May a seat on the council might be legitimate, but unfortunately, until he is ready to have a sit down talk with her and actually consider what she has to say, I'm thinking he is still a long way from establishing his credit with Coulson's Crew, his background notwithstanding.

I do like that Bobbi is reaching out to Simmons; and that Mack is trying for a rapproachment with Fitz.  I get the sense that these two do like the two techies (and heck, the rest of Coulson's Crew), and are bothered by the rift that Gonzales actions have caused.  So, I do believe that they're holding out hope for an eventual rapproachment ... which will probably occur, but I'm thinking it'll be later rather than sooner.

Coulson, is proving remarkably resourceful ... I simply loved him and Hunter arguing in front of the used car salesman over Hunter's appropriation of the salesman's 4x4.  And then, summoning the SHIELD folk to seize a Quin-Jet ... leading to the surprising return of Mike Peterson, and them considering that other "bad option" while they figure out how to recover Skye and get the crew back together.

Finally, Fitz-Simmons.  These two are actually becoming rather adept at misdirection what with their "breach" and managing to snake the Toolbox out right from under Bobbi and Mack's noses -- and I loved that Simmons had packed Fitz his favorite sandwich (sniff).  I love it when a plan comes together.

Now, what I'm wondering is just how Coulson is going to reconstitute his crew, what with Fitz in the wind, Skye isolated in the mountains, and May and Simmons still in Gonzales' custody.  Will Gonzales be able to win them over, or will his insistence on first ferreting out everyone's secrets and putting down the powereds forever keep him from managing to successful consolidate SHIELD?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:07 PM

I loved the ending, when Fitz pulled out the sandwich.  Gemma hasn't made him a sandwich since the first part of season one.  :lol:  And that was a nifty trick to get the toolbox.  Sometimes the simplest tricks are the best.

I was a little surprised that Gonzalez really let him go, but he's probably got a tail on him, hoping he'll lead RealSHIELD to Coulson.  I hope Fitz has a plan to shake them.

Gonzalez is really off his rocker, despite what he may have done in the past.  He keeps referring to powered people as "things."  Even if he feels that he has legitimate concerns about the threat they may pose, that's just inexcusable bigotry.  I'm convinced it has something to do with his hiatus from SHIELD.

It was great to see Skye's mother alive in the present. I was hoping that would happen, but didn't really think it would.  The scars were a nice touch, with creepy implications.  Cal was not surprised to see her, so he already knew she was alive.  I wonder what reasons she will give for never reuniting with Skye, or at least not introducing herself when they met.

I was also happy to see Deathlok return, and I hope he stays around.  I was less happy to hear Coulson's plan to seek out Ward.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

I think Skye's mom didn't reveal that fact simply because she likely wanted to see if a connection is there by just instinct, like sometimrs you can just sense your folks are nearby without any tangeable evidence that they are.

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

Well, if we think about it:  Skye's "awakening" power is a big shock to Skye, and given that she has difficulty controlling it while her emotions are in turmoil, who knows how she'd react to discovering that this was her mom, much less what devastation such a reaction might wreak?

Also, I think Mom (aka Jaiying) would rather not apply any additional pressure on Skye to stay, rather hoping Skye will choose to stay with the rest of them of her own free will before she comes out to Skye.   Unlike Cal, Jaiying is not going to rush things with their daughter, choosing a more patient and prudent course, and possibly hoping that by setting the bird free, she will willingly come back to her (or something along that line).

Thus far, it does seem that the Inhumans (or whatever they're calling themselves) would rather not coerce one of their own into staying/allying with them.

I'm thinking that those who do choose to remain are those who either have always felt themselves alienated from normal folk, or feel that their change can only result in alienation, so they seek sanctuary in Afterlife.  While, from the dialog, there are those others who apparently are capable of operating just fine, and having solid relationships, in the outside world -- with Skye probably falling into the latter group, once she gets a handle on her powers.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

I think Skye's going to feel a little manipulated, either way.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

Well, yeah.  There really isn't a best way to go about it.  IMO, though, I think the "slow and steady" approach might be the more successful of the two that we've seen from Cal and Jaiying.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:28 PM

That's true.  Cal is very useful as the worst possible example.  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users