Atomic Sunrise 10: Exploration Eastward:Sand, Sea, & Stars-Rated R

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
285 replies to this topic

#21 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

”Hey Cass, you having fun without me? Just to let you know we have three more incoming so we'd better figure out a way to kill them, not just piss them off.”

Cassie glanced over with relief as Rex appeared out of the trees. Amet was now busy with his spear as the pig Cassie had shot multiple times had turned its attention toward the giant.

That was probably because Cassie had swung herself up onto a large overhanging tree branch just as Rex had arrived. She'd been planning on taking more shots from a higher vantage point without getting crushed against the tree itself.

"Yes, well...I thought you were the only one with a thick skull...not the wild pigs!" Cassie retorted to her partner with evident relief in her voice. "Who knew a few bullets would just piss them off."

Suddenly the bad-ass pig with the massive tusks blew up into scraps of bone, skin, muscle, and lots of blood. The pig that Amet was battling halted for a moment as the gore sprayed everywhere.

"Whoooooo!" Cassie shouted, pumping a fist in the air after she'd flung a piece of meat off her shirt. "Did you see that?" Her question was rhetorical because Rex would have had to have been blind and deaf to not have seen the destruction. Even then he would have felt the impact. "Damn! Those people have some serious weaponry on board!"

Suddenly Cassie swung down from the branch and landed easily on her feet. She swept her short hair, now sweaty, off her forehead. She and Rex quickly joined together, back to back. "At least now there's only two left...so long as Amet kills that one," she commented, sounding somewhat concerned in general. "But we've had worse odds, right? So which one do we go after first?"

Both pigs were angrily snorting and charging toward them.

"CASSIE!" a voice called out from the distance.

John was running toward them but was still too far away to help yet.

#22 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

Varg whined softly and glanced back the direction they'd come, his ears twitching. Myka and Nemo had ducked around a large rock formation and thus didn't hear the faint sounds of gunfire at the camp that the dog did. It didn't help that Myka was whooping in excitement at having gotten to run off some energy. But Varg knew he had to stay with his young friends. If he ran back toward camp the two would follow, and the dog wasn't sure what they would find. Perhaps it was best to wait.

They covered a mile fairly quickly, running, jogging, and generally goofing off as they played and looked around. Finally Myka slowed down, taking a drink of water and the second snack that Nemo offered her. They walked hand in hand for awhile looking around at the barrenness of the cliff top that was also beautiful in a way with all the rock formations, spindly sparse trees, and mountains in the far distance. Even with the cloudy sky the air was still warm and humid.

Suddenly Myka sniffed. She glanced at Nemo. "Do you smell that? It's like you said...different but not bad. Kinda...I don't know, salty like...Oh it can't be!" she exclaimed.

Without warning there was an upturned part of the rock, like a slightly curved slide coming toward them. Myka scrambled up with Nemo behind her and they peered over the top ridge. All they could do was stare at the sight below them.

"Wow!" Myka breathed. "I was born on the east coast, you know...further north. I only ever saw the ocean one time...but it was from a city. It wasn't nearly as...as beautiful as this!" Then she pointed downward. "And look! Nemo! Is that...is that a...? People, animals, even boats coming in from the ocean to docks...even a little beach. Oh! A real village, do you think they're friendly?"

Even Varg stared down, wagging his tail and growling softly but neutrally. Faint voices throughout the village floated up toward them, even of kids playing as they worked. Strange sounds of the docks caught their interest as they watched. The smell of the ocean and freshly caught fish were in the air.

#23 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

Isabella didn’t have time to tell her friend what she thought of her plan before Sophie was off and running…she saw the pig turn away from Alexander and Somphit and charge towards Sophie, she positioned the rifle against her shoulder and tracked the pig through the scope…..she heard the shot, glanced up and saw Sophie backed up against a tree with the pig heading straight for her

“Roll left Sophie...your left!” as soon as Sophie moved, she started firing, she had 10 shots, she had to make each one count, the rifle kicked back against her shoulder with each shot she took, after the third bullet stuck home the pig turned away from Sophie and started running towards her, blood spraying from the wounds, as it lowered its head she saw her chance “aim between the eyes”…she pulled the trigger again and again until she had no more bullets to fire..the pig kept racing towards her, it’s head a bloody mess…she reached for her handgun, the pig was almost on top of her, then it stumbled and collapsed on the ground twitching and snorting…she had to end its life, much as the pig had been charging them, threatening them, she couldn’t let it suffer like this. Her ears were ringing from the gun fire as she walked slowly towards the pig, it grunted and lifted its head…she took careful aim and pulled the trigger, 2 more shots to the head and the pig was finally still. Isabella walked over to Sophie…”more than a dozen bullets to put one pig down and, last count, we had 5 of these things heading into camp, that’s a lot of ammunition to use, there has to be an easier way to kill them…I’m assuming from the silence, we can’t continue using the auto-cannon?”

Rex flicked pieces of pig off of his clothes “Yes Cass, I saw it, I felt it, I lived it and now I am covered in it….that was a little over the top I think, it totally destroyed the pig, we can’t eat that” he kicked a large globule of pig fat away…."as for their weaponry, it is impressive, I’m going to hazard a guess that Ishmael fired up the trucks defence systems, which was a great idea, but..” he tilted his head to one side ..”yeah, not so great at short range, it sounds like we’re back to regular bullets”

They slowly circled around trying to keep both pigs in their line of sight

"At least now there's only two left...so long as Amet kills that one…..but we've had worse odds, right? So which one do we go after first?"

Rex glanced over at Amet…”He’ll kill it, he has to..as for which one, I say let’s take ‘em both out” he grinned “remember partner, no pissing the piggies off” just as he was about to start firing he heard John calling Cassie’s name, his eyebrow raised slightly and he smirked…”your knight in shining armour? Let’s hope he gets here soon to save the day”

Nemo couldn’t believe his eyes “wow indeed..that’s just amazing” he took a deep breath “so that’s what the ocean smells like…I wish we could go down there, I want to go to the beach and I want to stand in the sea…when we go back and tell the others what we found, they have to let us come back, they will won’t they? They’ll be curious too right?” he smiled “it looks so nice, peaceful, old fashioned, like something out of the books Joseph let me look at when I first arrived…as to whether they’re friendly, I don’t know, I guess it would depend on how used to strangers they were, or if they’ve have bad experiences, or who’s in charge” he shrugged “we’ll let Sophie and Ishamel worry about that, I think we should watch for a little while longer, see what else we can see” he scanned the area taking in the mix of buildings, the areas of pasture, the working docks…he nudged Myka “hey look down there, is that a road? If it is, it could be the way down as I don’t see any other way to get down there, unless we abseil down the cliffs, which might be fun, but I don’t think Varg would like it”

Varg’s tail stopped wagging as he stared at Nemo…

“Only joking Varg, I wouldn’t do that to you, plus you’re super smart, you’d find your way down”

#24 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:38 AM

As the pig paused in shock as the other exploded in to a mass of filth and core. Amet was momentarily stunned as well but responded more rapidly than the pig. He quickly jabbed his long spear towards the face and scored up its snout goughing out one of the beasts eyes. It squealed in pain and fury lowering its head and firmly fixing its one good eye on Amet. It charged reaching an impressive speed. Amet lowered his spear setting it slightly to the blind side of the wounded animal. In it's fury it charged straight in to the tip which wedged deep in its shoulder. Amet still held on and the pig carried both of them backwards crashing Amet in to the tree Cassie had been in moments ago. Both the pig and Amet paused to catch their breath. Amet took hold of his spear once more and wrenched and twisted causing the animal to collapse in pain. He wrenched the spear out. The pig was loosing blood fast. It staggered a few times swinging its large tusks drunkenly trying to exact its revenge before it collapsed to the floor.

#25 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

Sophie thought she glimpsed Ishmael and Wynn...Ishmael even armed with a crossbow...making a dash from the trucks toward where the massive pig had been literally blown up. When she ducked to her left as instructed by Isabella and rolled away from the tree...and the attacking wild pig...she definitely caught sight of the two men.

As Isabella fired repeatedly at the beast, Sophie firmly waved Ishmael and the guard on from where she lay on the ground...unharmed. Both men had paused slightly, but Sophie knew Cassie, Rex, and Amet needed the two men more than she and Isabella did. The others had three pigs to their one.

After a great deal of shooting it seemed like, the echoing of gun fire went quiet. Suddenly Isabella was holding out her hand to Sophie, who grabbed it and hauled herself up from the ground. Brushing the dirt off her clothes, Sophie stared at the bloody mess. So that was two pigs that wouldn't become dinner.

”More than a dozen bullets to put one pig down and, last count, we had 5 of these things heading into camp, that’s a lot of ammunition to use, there has to be an easier way to kill them…I’m assuming from the silence, we can’t continue using the auto-cannon?”

Shaking her head, Sophie sighed. "Nope."

She and Isabella began hurrying back toward the trucks to check on Alexander and Somphit, to make certain the two had made it safely.

"We were as much of a target as the pigs were with it on auto...plus, they're meant for incoming missiles." She paused. "Although, I doubt we'll encounter any of those...well, I guess you never know really. Anyway," she said, getting back on the topic, "the guns didn't lower enough for close range. Ishmael was able to blow the really massive pig to bits, so that leaves the other with just three at least."

Sophie's attempt at positivity elicited an eyebrow raise from Isabella. "Well, that's better than five anyway. But Abel is at least manning the command truck manually. I'm guessing Ishmael left Enoch in the sleeping truck...he was carrying the Librarian's crossbow."

Suddenly Sophie glanced around, frowning. "Have you seen Myka and Nemo?" she asked worriedly.

#26 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

It was no use trying to even move her legs, so Somphit didn't even try. Somebody was dragging her over the grass.  She was too frozen with fear to put up a fight. She wasn't even sure if she should fight.  Was it the nice man with the big head dragging her away from danger or the man with the tattoos dragging her into the shack?  Then there was an explosion and something hit her in the side and the arm and the face.  It was meat.  Pieces of meat. "No!" she yelled, shaking her head.  "Don't make me eat it again!"

"What are you talking about?" asked Alexander, gasping for breath as he dragged Somphit closer to the truck. "We're not going to eat these bad pigs.  They're going to eat us."  He could hardly think with all the fuzziness in his brain.  He just knew he had to get himself and the girl inside the trucks before somebody got hurt.  He just wondered if he'd have time to go pick more mushrooms after the grown ups chased the bad pigs away.

#27 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

"Have you seen Myka and Nemo?"

Isabella cursed...”wait until I get my hands on those two, you'd think that after all this time, all the trouble they've gotten themselves into....” she looked at her friend....” they were supposed to come and ask your permission, apparently they were going 'scouting' which I understood to mean exploring...Nemo told Rex that he was going to speak with you, he distracted me with eggs” she saw the confused look on Sophies face “ never mind, I knew I should have insisted, or marched him over to see you myself....on the bright side, them not being in camp means two less people for those darn pigs to chase...but still, when they get back I will be having words, they can't keep doing this, it's irresponsible, they need to grow up a little!”

#28 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

”He’ll kill it, he has to..as for which one, I say let’s take ‘em both out...remember partner, no pissing the piggies off."

Cassie risked a glance toward Amet, heartened to see him finishing off the wild pig with some well-placed stabs and wrenching of his spear. The random thought that perhaps that one would be salvageable for dinner passed through Cassie's mind. She couldn't help it...she was getting rather starved with all this activity.

In the distance John called out her name as the two remaining pigs closed in on her and Rex, still back to back. Cassie raised a knife in one hand and her gun in the other.

”...your knight in shining armour? Let’s hope he gets here soon to save the day.”

"WHAT?" Cassie shouted, startled at the comment that came from behind her.

Oh for crying out loud...had Rex actually noticed that she...but she hadn't really done or said anything to indicate her feelings...not that she had any feelings for John. That would be ridiculous. Had John said something to Rex? Cassie felt herself blush and get annoyed at the same time. If those two had been talking about her...she'd kill them both! Or at the very least punch them in the faces.

With her cybernetic hand at that!

"Don't be an ass, Mads!" she finally grumbled as the pigs charged closer then slowed and began to snort and paw the ground. "You're talking crazy...the man's just coming 'cause we're in trouble. That's all! And I will hit you if you say anything else," Cassie threatened.

Suddenly both wild beasts charged from different directions. A shot rang out and slammed into the hindquarters of one heading toward Cassie as John let a bullet fly. It was enough to turn the pig in his direction with a squeal of anger.

Cassie automatically whipped around to stand next to Rex. Between her enhanced strength in her arm and her partner's leaping ability, Cassie had a plan. Well, not so much a plan as just a thought. Between their skills the two Department 7 agents were quite skilled in close combat. She quickly holstered her gun.

Cassie assumed their tactics would be as effective on a wild pig...whose damn head came up to her hips...as it did on people. Taking a deep breath Cassie stepped forward and to the side, holding out her cybernetic arm. The pig's head came into contact with her fist. At the same time the blade embedded in her arm ejected into her fist and stabbed the pig, the creature gave a violent shake of its head. But the well-aimed stab to the brain was deflected somewhat when the pig had reared up. The blade went into the its neck instead, the blood gushing out. The beast nearly sliced into Cassie with his tusks as she was tossed up into the air. She flipped over the pig and landed on her butt with a grunt.

"I think I pissed this one off, too!" she shouted to Rex. "Sorry!"

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 23 May 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#29 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

Sophie and Isabella were nearly upon the stumbling Alexander and Somphit. The two looked unharmed at least.

"Well, if I had my guess," Sophie frowned, "I bet it was Myka who talked Nemo into just leaving. Not that he's innocent...that boy is devoted to her." Then Sophie sighed. "Although I suppose growing up we might have gone off on our own now and then when we thought we knew best."

Sophie and Isabella had grown up together in the settlement that Joseph and Conner had founded after the near destruction of the war. But they'd known the territory, the land around them, and the dangers of the Marauders. Out here, everything...the terrain, the people, the dangers...was all new and unknown.

"Still that doesn't excuse what they did," Sophie added.

They reached Alexander and Somphit and each grabbed onto the side of one of them helping them to reach the truck. Somphit struggled somewhat and Alexander was babbling but the two women managed to get them under the trucks and safely back into camp.

#30 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

A wanderer, and a picker-up of unregarded trifles.

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

Ishmael almost changed his course when he saw Sophie have to roll away from one of the charging pigs at the very last second, but she waved him on even as Isabella repeatedly fired at the pig, sending it crashing to the ground.

He and Wynn charged up the path, halting beside John. Ishmael fired his crossbow, the bolt hitting the pig in the the shoulder, as the two guards fired shot after shot, causing it to stumble and fall to the ground.

"Reload and go," Ishmael ordered.

John and Wynn both nodded, ejecting the empty magazines from their rifles and pulling their spares from their pockets. "This is my last clip," Wynn warned.

"Mine too," John added, loading the magazine into his rifle.

"Then let's hope it's enough," Ishmael answered. "Go."

The two men nodded again and dashed off, Wynn heading to help Amet who had been slammed into a tree by a charging pig, while John headed for Rex and Cassie, who was punching another pig?!? Ishmael shook his head, then walked over to the fallen pig, who stared up at him with bewildered eyes. Ishmael pulled his pistol from its holster, placed it against the pig's head and fired.

#31 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Before Rex had a chance to either reply to his partner or decide the best way to dispatch the bleeding pig, Ishmael and Wynn appeared to help Amet. Ishmael fired a bullet into the pigs head, he didn't wait to find out if it was a kill shot, he had his own pig to deal with.

"I think I pissed this one off, too!

“Thanks Cass, you think?....you know what I think? I think you did that on purpose” he leaped over the pig and put himself between it and his partner, he had 2 bullets left, it wouldn't be enough, he crouched and picked up the spear...”come to papa little piggy” the pig lowered its head and charged forward....Rex jumped up into the air, if his timing was even a little off this was going to be messy....the pig continued to charge, it was directly underneath him....”Bullseye” Rex drove the spear down through the spinal column and out the other side....he smiled “pork kebab”. The pig screamed and squealed as it fell paralysed....Rex landed, drew his knife and cut it's throat.

He looked over at Cass and raised an eyebrow....”nice move partner, shame about the landing” he held out his hand and pulled her up....”you know I was fishing right? I didn't know you had a thing for..uh...” he nodded over at John....”not for sure, but now....” seeing the look in her eyes he raised his hands in mock surrender...”ok, ok, I'll say nothing more about it” he mimed zipping his lips shut and winked at her.

He looked around....”is that all of them? Is everyone ok? Amet, you alright over there?”

#32 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

Somebody grabbed his arm and Alexander looked to see that it was Sophie.  "Hi!" he said, and then noticed Isabella grabbing Somphit's arm.  "Hi!" he said.  Sophie and Isabella helped them toward the big truck for hurt people and Alexander noticed that Somphit was crying.  "Oh, I get it!  You're scared!" he said.  "Stupid scary pigs!" he yelled over his shoulder.  "Don't be scared, we'll save you," he said to Somphit.  And there was something else he was supposed to do, too, but there was too much excitement to remember.

#33 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

Myka dragged her eyes away from the tempting ocean water and craned her neck to find the road Nemo was pointing at. She studied it with interest...mostly dirt now it seemed to once have been a regular road leading into the village. She wondered what the place below them had been before the war...it seemed to have the look of having once been a real town at one point.

"Hey, that looks like it heads in the direction of the trucks," Myka commented. "I bet we could get down there using that way in! But you're right...that'll be up to the others...not us," she sighed. Then she turned to Nemo.. "But...abseil?" she asked, then her eyes followed his as he stared straight down the cliffs. Her green eyes widened then she grinned.

"Hey! That could be interesting to try," Myka said holding up her hands that could produce a sticky substance. "I bet I could do it!"

Varg’s tail stopped wagging as he stared at Nemo…

“Only joking Varg, I wouldn’t do that to you, plus you’re super smart, you’d find your way down.”

Myka laughed and ruffled the dog's head. "Oh, Varg...Nemo's right, we wouldn't leave you here. But you'd be safe enough strapped to Nemo," she teased the big dog. All she got in return was a yelp of disapproval.

She and Nemo laughed and went back to studying the village below for a bit longer. Then Myka blew a piece of hair out of her face.

"I guess we'd better head back. They're probably wondering where we are," she said, feeling guilty now. She'd done it again probably...made a mistake and didn't think things through before acting. It really was a wonder that she survived so long on her own before this.

·

#34 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

OOC: Nice work with the wild pigs! I think Alexander's comment to the pigs is a fitting ending ;). I'm going to move us to the next morning now...but feel free to still flashback on if there was anything your character did the night before that you want to show :).

IC: With the wild pigs killed and everyone unharmed, the dead creatures were dragged some distance from the camp...save one that was still intact enough to be edible. Amet had found a small lake in his foray to dispose of one of the pigs.

After quick exams at the med-truck...especially for Alexander and Somphit..., the camp was set up--along with the supply truck being brought into the circle--the pig prepared for eating and storage in the supply truck, and Nemo and Myka had returned safely. The two stories were told...the wild pig battle and the finding of the seaside village...over a dinner of freshly cooked meat. Isabella and Sophie hadn't yet gotten a chance to have a talk with the two youngest members, but it was only a matter of time. There had been much excitement about the village and a possible visit to see if they were friendly.

Just after sunrise the next day:

As she climbed out of the passenger side of the command truck's cab, Sophie turned her face east to the sun rising through the trees. The clouds were still evident from the day before but high in the sky leaving room for the low-rising sun to be seen for now. The air was warm already, and almost still. Everything was quiet and peaceful for a moment until the slight activity of morning in their camp filtered through Sophie's thoughts.

Thoughts about the seaside village they now knew existed around the cliffs next to them...perhaps only a couple of miles down the curving road they were next to. She and Ishmael had further discussed the idea of scouting out the village with a small group, perhaps later on this afternoon or tomorrow. Despite the excitement the idea had generated last night, they all knew they had to proceed with caution.

Sniffing the air suddenly Sophie smiled. Bacon? If the smell from last night and this morning didn't tip off anyone around that they were there, then nothing would, she thought. Probably it wasn't the smartest idea in the world to cook fresh meat out in the open, but they needed to eat. Glancing up she saw Wynn and Abel already on guard duty, patrolling from the tops of the the trucks. She waved to the two guards as she walked toward the supply truck.

John was inside, cooking on the fusion and solar powered stove with the back of the truck open. There was a basket of eggs waiting as well. Those must be the eggs that had featured in Isabella's odd story yesterday about Nemo.

"Mornin', Sophie."

"John," Sophie greeted in return with a smile. "Putting that wild pig to good use, I see."

John smiled. Sophie had noticed he was smiling more these days...and talking. Before...after the destruction of the settlement and the tragic loss of his entire family, the man had been nearly silent except when it was absolutely necessary to talk. That went on for many months, at least until they'd been at the mountain vault that housed Department 7.

Nodding, John flipped the slices of bacon and began cracking eggs. If nothing else that would bring people over for breakfast. Sophie wondered if Isabella and the other women would want to trek to the lake for a morning swim.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 25 May 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#35 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:27 AM

Isabella yawned and stretched her arms over her head; she’d slept soundly in the med truck, tired from the fighting, her appetite sated…she had dreamed of the village by the sea that Myka and Nemo had seen..she smiled, perhaps today they could investigate further. She jumped out of bed, washed her face, ran her fingers through her hair, pulled on a pair of khaki shorts and matching tank, slipped her feet into a pair of boots and jumped down out of the truck.

She sniffed….her stomach growled….

Varg emerged from under the med truck, he licked Isabella’s hand in greeting then headed off towards the supply truck.

Isabella followed “hey Varg, you leave some of that for me, you hear?” she saw the dogs tail wagging and she grinned.

As she approached the supply truck she saw Sophie and John “Good morning Sophie, John, that sure smells good”…she went into the truck and snagged a couple of rashers of bacon for Varg….as she turned she saw the eggs…”that reminds me, Sophie we still need to talk to Nemo and Myka, I know nothing bad happened…this time…in fact, they did good, they found the village, but that’s not the point, they can’t keep running off like that…”

Rex stuck his head around the door of the supply truck “morning all…any of that bacon going spare?”

Isabella smiled…”get in line Rex, you’ll have to wait your turn”

Rex looked over at Varg who was licking his lips “seriously? He gets to eat before me, before us?”

Nemo woke up just before sunrise, he crept around the camp collecting fresh grass and vegetation for the animals, on his way back he decided to go via the supply truck, he wanted to get some breakfast for him and Myka…as he approached the truck he heard Isabella talking about them….he tiptoed away from the truck and went to find Myka.

#36 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

A wanderer, and a picker-up of unregarded trifles.

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

“seriously? He gets to eat before me, before us?”

"Varg is a gentleman, ah, dog, Rex," Ishmael answered as he walked toward them, limping noticeably more than he usually did. "I'm sure he will not take more than his share." He looked over at Varg. "Right? Smells delicious, by the way," he added, turning to John. He looked over at Sophie and Isabella, both of who were eyeing him with looks of concern, and sighed. "I'm fine. A little stiff right now- I think I slept on it wrong- but once I've been up and moving for a while it'll be fine." A flash of movement caught his eye and he turned to see Nemo disappearing behind the sleeping truck. "After breakfast, we need to have a serious talk with the kids."

#37 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

Sophie laughed as Varg was fed by Isabella before the rest of them...and that Rex was somewhat irritated. But Isabella was right...as was Ishmael when he joined them...they did need to talk to Nemo and Myka about their actions.

"Yes, we do," she said. "None of us can simply go running off like that without the others knowing each others whereabouts...so it's not just them. They have to understand that applies to all of us out here, especially Myka."

As food was passed out to the humans, Sophie turned back to Ishmael, not convinced he was being quite as honest about his leg as he claimed. Perhaps the fight yesterday had taken more out of him and maybe he had slept on it wrong...although she'd been there all night and he'd seemed to sleep soundly enough...but the stiffness appeared more than the usual pain he sometimes experienced.

But she'd see how he fared the rest of the day before getting too worried. She changed her look of concern to a smile. "Well, I was going to see if Isabella and Cassie ...and Somphit if she's up to it, wanted to go to the lake for a swim...girls only this time," she added to the men with a mock warning look. "I could use a good soak and hair wash. Amet said the water was clean enough for fish so I'm assuming it's not polluted."

Sophie wanted to try out the natural hair wash that Isabella had made for them...processed hygiene products were long gone by now except a small supply at Department 7. Besides they preferred not to pollute the world any more than it already was.

Cassie came around to the back of the supply truck, swinging her rifle as she walked briskly. She saw Rex eying Varg as he ate. She laughed.

"Did the dog get fed before you again, partner?" she asked.

Cassie let her amusement cover up the slight awkwardness she felt as John handed down a plate of food. But she glanced up at him and nodded her thanks. He hadn't said much to her yesterday after having distracted one of the wild pigs from her and Rex, but she'd noticed him staring at her afterward...almost checking her out, but not in that way, more to make sure she was uninjured. His concern had embarrassed her and made her feel, well, good.

She turned to the others. "Back before Varg left with Markos he used to hold items hostage so that we'd feed him whatever we were eating in the dining hall. We got used to just feeding him first thing to avoid the hijacking...except Rex tried his hardest not to give in to the blackmail."

Cassie laughed and hip bumped her partner lightly. "And did I hear someone say swimming in the lake?" she asked. "I actually did get to test the water, and it's safe enough for swimming...just don't swallow too much. Then I think I'll clean some weapons...we might need them if we're going to make a social call on the 'neighbors' today?"

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 30 May 2015 - 07:42 PM.

#38 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

"Ahhhhh!" Myka exclaimed but kept her voice down. "We're NOT children, Nemo. Why can't they understand that? I'm...well, even if I'm only seventeen, it's not like I'm helpless or naive. I've survived this long, haven't I? And you...you're big and strong, you can take care of yourself, too."

Nemo had found her hanging up some wet clothes on a rope she'd strung from the sleeping truck to the livestock truck to let them dry. She'd been eying Mac with a warning look to leave everything alone...no stealing or pulling things down! Nemo had told her what he'd heard Isabella say, that they still needed talking to...they couldn't keep running off, even if they had found the village.

"I don't know...we can't avoid them, I guess, but geez it's like having multiple parents or something...it's annoying," she grumbled. "Maybe...maybe we should just march over there and let them say what they have to say. Get it over with and all that." Myka made another aggravated sound and even stomped her foot.

#39 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:09 AM

"Ohhh," groaned Alexander, stretched out on his bunk with his knees in the air-- he was too tall to lay straight out.  Every muscle in his body ached and he was covered with scratches from running through the forest and bruises from falling down multiple times in his mad dash across the field to escape the giant pigs.  And he had a headache, which was quite debilitating given the size of his head.  He had always lived a sedentary life before Northampton had fallen to the mutant plant swarm, and now he was getting up in years and he was not suited to this new, action-oriented lifestyle.  At least he was charged up again and thinking straight.  Just to be sure, he reached over the side of the cot, flipped on his portable charger, and felt the comforting tingle of high voltage coursing through him.

He wondered how Somphit was doing this morning.  His memory of last evening was fuzzy, but she had seemed pretty dazed when they were running from the killer pigs, and she had turned in early; even when Alexander had brought a plate of grilled pork and fried mushrooms to her in her cot she hadn't said much.  Hopefully Isabella had checked her out for head injuries.

"Oohhh," he groaned again as he sat up and swung his legs out of the cot.  He had a long day ahead, cataloging all the species of mushrooms and truffles that he had found, so he had to wake himself up.  Maybe a nice, refreshing dip in the nearby lake would do the trick.

Curled up underneath her blanket, Somphit lay awake and depressed.  She had slept badly, having nightmares about giant killer pigs and being lost in the woods.  And she was dwelling on how she had reacted to the crisis, and how she had been reacting to stress in general lately.  It was like somebody put a bag over her head and she couldn't see, or hear, or think.  Or move.  She didn't used to be like this.  Only since the village-- the violence and the illness.  She had to get over it.

Dragging herself out from under the blanket, she got up from the cot.  Her one set of clothes was piled on the floor and filthy from yesterday's adventure. She reached into her the duffel bag where she kept her meager belongings and pulled out the short, silky Thai robe that had been handed down from her grandmother.  Putting it on, she stepped out of the truck and approached the smell of food and the sound of voices.

"Well, I was going to see if Isabella and Cassie ...and Somphit if she's up to it, wanted to go to the lake for a swim...girls only this time," she heard Sophie say. "I could use a good soak and hair wash. Amet said the water was clean enough for fish so I'm assuming it's not polluted."

"Good morning," she called out to the group, forcing herself to sound cheerful. "Yes, thank you, I would like to join you for a swim.  Providing that there are no giant killer goldfish in the water."

#40 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:27 AM

Rex finished his breakfast and returned his plate to the supply truck…..he scratched the top of Vargs head as he passed “you a gentleman? He doesn’t know you like I do, he’ll learn..and one of these days I will eat before you, I am higher up the food chain than you”

Varg tilted his head to look at Rex….he opened his jaw slightly and let his tongue loll out over his front teeth, his eyes widened and he panted in short breaths

“you’re laughing at me?” he looked back at Cassie “Cass, he’s laughing at me..AGAIN”

Mac heard the dog laughing and wandered over to investigate, the washing would be there when he got back….he stuck his head around the side of the supply truck, stretched his neck forward and brayed in Rex’s ear then wandered off.

Rex cursed “that mule is menace, if anyone round here had a weak heart or something, he should be tied up and….”

Isabella couldn’t keep a straight face any longer, she glanced over at Cassie, then back at Rex and started laughing…soon she was doubled over with tears streaming down her face…”Sorry, so sorry, but you have to admit that was funny” she wiped her face and tried to compose herself…”a word of advice Agent Madsen, the animals are often smarter than us humans, it pays to keep them on your side…especially Mac, we’ve discovered that he’s a whole lot smarter than you think.”  She smiled at a memory…”Joseph even made up a rhyme about him, let me see if I can remember how it went…

I’m Mac the ornery old mule
I still got many years left in me
I can out work you younger guys
I stop, rest, do as I please,
Take my own sweet time, you’ll see”

Rex shook his head “ Seriously, your grandfather  wrote that about that mule?” he shook his head and walked away, muttering “now I remember why I am not a people person” He couldn’t return to his sleeping quarters as they were in the supply truck….he looked around the camp, he just wanted somewhere quiet, secluded, away from everyone…..he looked at the dying embers of the fire in the camp, they needed more wood, he could do that, some time alone in the woods, that hopefully were now pig free…he grabbed an axe, then remembered that he’d best inform someone where he was going…he smiled and headed over to the livestock truck….

“Maybe...maybe we should just march over there and let them say what they have to say”.

Rex nodded…”sounds like something you should probably do Myka…then you can tell them what you want to tell them and we can all be one big happy…” he waggled his fingers....”family again”

Nemo raised an eyebrow…”Rex you ok?”

Rex sighed “sure kid, just having a bad morning…get yourself over there, grab some breakfast before the darn animals eat it all, they’re not mad at you, not really, they just worry about you, they’re over protective perhaps, but you’re the youngest..” he sighed again “what do I know anyway…..look, can you tell them I’ve gone to get some more wood for the fire, I just need some time alone right now, I don’t think I have ever spent this long in other peoples company and I am finding it a little jarring today”

Nemo looked over at Myka and shrugged “sure thing Rex, we’ll tell them” When Rex had disappeared into the woods Nemo took Mykas hand…”that was a little odd…but what he said, we should go and speak to them, we aren’t apologising though..well maybe a little for not telling Sophie, but Isabella and Rex knew what we were doing, we didn’t just run off” his stomach growled…”C’mon beautiful lavender girl, let’s go eat and see what our many parents have to say”

Isabella held her hands up “I didn’t mean to upset him, I just couldn’t help myself, that was too funny, I should go apologise” she looked over at Cassie who just shook her head…”ok, I’ll apologise later… swimming first…ladies, I have some new all natural products for us to try out…fern root and soapwort, delicately fragranced with citrus oil”

She looked over at Somphit and smiled….”what a beautiful robe….that gives me an idea….when we’ve bathed we should bring some water back here, I am sure we could all do with washing some clothes” she saw Sophie looking puzzled…she move closer to her and whispered “Somphit didn’t bring much with her, I’m guessing that other than the robes she’s wearing, she doesn’t have any clean clothes”

She looked back at Somphit…”I am pretty sure there are no giant killer fish, both Amet and Cassie have checked out the lake and they would have noticed, it’s going to be fine, just us women swimming, bathing.” She didn’t think it worth mentioning that Amet had actually said that the lake was clean enough for fish….She glanced at Ishmael…”and when we get back I’ll give you ointment that should help ease the stiffness in that leg”

Nemo nudged Myka towards the back of the supply truck..”you go and get us some breakfast, I’ll go and make peace with the elders” he winked, then joined the others …”Mornin’..Rex says to tell you he’s gone for fire wood”

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users