Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Atomic Sunrise 10: Exploration Eastward:Sand, Sea, & Stars-Rated R

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
285 replies to this topic

#201 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

A wanderer, and a picker-up of unregarded trifles.

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:38 PM

So, should we start getting in...boarding...or do we wait for Ish...Captain Vere? He left before I did this morning so I'm not sure where he is. Did he already go across?"

"Aye, ma'am," the sailor responded. "He and the pilot went aboard not quite an hour or so ago. And..." he peered thoughtfully at the water for a moment, "I reckon it's pretty close on slack tide, so probably be a good idea."

"Sorry, sorry, I was helping Claudia and Lucas prep," Enoch panted as he hurried up. "Ishmael told me to tell you he and Laurel were already aboard and to make sure everyone made it in plenty of time. Laurel's going to pilot, that is guide the ship back out to open water," he explained at Sophie's questioning look. "Claudia and Lucas will meet the ship then and bring Laurel back.

"Umm, I don't know how much Ishmael explained to you about how boats- how ships, work," Enoch continued, "but basically it's all about balancing the various forces in such a way that you can get where you want to go, and right now Eagle's not particularly well-balanced-"

"She's a fine ship, for all she's hurt, and Ward's a good captain," a fourth sailor, one who hadn't spoken before, broke in. "We'll make Bermuda, see if we don't. Sir." The other sailors muttered agreement, glaring at Enoch.

"No, no, no, absolutely, that's not what I'm saying," Enoch said hastily. "I was just trying to explain why Captain Ward asked for a pilot for what looks like a fairly simple way out of here."

"Aye, 'tis always good to have someone with local knowledge if ye can, even in the best of circumstances," the sailor conceded. "Anyway, the Captain wants to raise anchor as soon as the tide starts tae fall, so-" he hesitated. "Ye do know about tides, right?"

"We've all seen how the water here goes up and down on a regular basis, right?" Enoch said, looking back and forth between various members of their group. "Not the waves, but the actual level of the water. Those are tides. It all has to do with the Moon's gravitational pull, but the important thing is, it's much easier for a ship to leave when the tide is ebbing, or flowing out of a harbor and into the ocean, instead of the other way around, so that's why the ship is leaving now, or soon anyway, instead of earlier or later." Enoch looked around, frowning slightly. "Where's Somphit? Isn't she coming with- oh, here she comes."

#202 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:51 PM

Sophie squinted at the ship out in the harbor to see if she could find Ishmael on deck somewhere but there were too many people moving around. She hoped he'd be at the top of the rope ladder when they arrived. She listened with interest to Enoch's explanation of tides and why the ship wanted to leave when the water was flowing out into the ocean. That actually made a great deal of sense.

She turned to Isabella. "I hope everything about sailing makes reasonable sense," she whispered.

Once Somphit had joined them it was time to leave.

"Okay then, here we go," Sophie said taking the extended hand of one of the sailors in the launch.

She sat where he indicated as her pack was stored securely away, feeling the boat dip and sway slightly in the water. She smiled more encouragingly than she felt at the others. The idea crept up on her again that there was very little between her and the opaque water all around them. It had been better once on board the larger ship where the water was much further below her.

#203 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:56 AM

Isabella carefully stepped onto the launch, she wobbled as the small boat rocked…she grabbed hold of a sailors arm, steadied herself then sat down next to Sophie

“Reasonable sense? To be honest I’m having enough trouble translating sailor-speak! I’m sure I’ll get used to it..eventually. What Enoch said made sense, a lot of sense…Joseph used to tell me stories about the moon and the tides when I was young and he used to recite poetry” she chuckled “Pops reading poems, it was a strange sight…I remember one particular line “Life is an ebbing tide, pulled to and fro by some greater hand” it makes sense now…I guess I should have paid more attention when I was a child” She looked down into the water…as everyone boarded the launch it sank a little lower..she looked back at  her friend “ I’m not sure about this at all….this boat looks like it might sink!”

Rex leapt nimbly aboard the launch and handed the last of the bags to the sailors, he sat behind Sophie and Isabella. He leaned forward…”it won’t sink, it’s all to do with water displacement…have a little faith ladies…besides if anything does happen, we can swim”

Isabella shook her head…..”swimming in a calm shallow lake is one thing, swimming in the open sea, fully clothed….that’s something I’d like to avoid thank you Rex” she heard him laughing and she smiled….then she noticed Sophie looking at her, grinning…before she turned away Isabella was pretty certain she mouthed ‘just let it happen’..she sighed, it was going to be a long trip.

Nemo held onto Somphits satchel while she got on to the boat, handing it over to one of the crew before boarding himself ..the boat shifted under him and his stomach rolled…he quickly sat down and gripped the edge of the boat.

Rex moved to sit by him….”focus on a fixed point, something that isn’t moving….like the horizon, take some deep breaths and relax….you’ll be fine, as soon as we get on board Eagle you’ll feel the difference, trust me, on a larger vessel you won’t notice the movement quite so much”

#204 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:11 PM

OOC: Okay, moving us to the ship (where I will just make stuff up for now ;) ). Everyone can board in their posts using the ladder or the hoist ;)...and hang out on deck for a few minutes. I don't want to rush things but we won't play out every minute either...I'll try to balance :)....

IC:

After the launch was secured against the side of Eagle, Sophie stood up first, almost getting used to balancing herself. She eyed the rope ladder again as well as the hoist hanging far above them. There was some sort of harness attached to the hook. She didn't know if anyone would need it, but it was ready as promised.

"Just like our treehouse," she murmured to Isabella with a tentative smile. "Except no hard ground underneath if we fall...just that." She gave a quick glance at the gentle swells of water that lapped against the side of the ship...the water that she had no idea what was underneath. "I'll go first," she added to the others.

Sophie glanced up to see Mr. Peabody smiling down encouragingly. Ms. Fenwick's face peered over briefly then disappeared. At least Sophie recognized some of the crew she already knew. She tightened her ponytail that held her mass of curls back so no hair would get into her face. With a wave to those above, she began to climb...again not daring to look down.

Hands helped her off the rope ladder and onto the ship.

"Hello again, Ms. Drake," Mr. Peabody said while Ms. Fenwick smiled.

"Oh, you have to call me Sophie," Sophie insisted. When they both had looks of hesitation, she added, "I mean, if you're allowed to. I guess even if you're not I would prefer it. No one in my group is used to being called anything so formal."

"Ah...," Mr. Peabody began but Ms. Fenwick interrupted. "Here comes another one, Sir!"

She glanced around for Ishmael or Captain Ward as another of her group came aboard, then she moved away from the railing to stand further in on the deck while trying to stay out of people's way. Others of the crew were moving quickly around the deck, with some even up in the ropes above her head, in preparation for their leaving. It was all so confusing and complicated looking, but exciting in a way as well. Despite their reason for being here, this was a new adventure for her.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 22 November 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#205 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:35 PM

Freedom's Ghost

The pirate slaver ship had caught good fortune out on the seas and was running with the wind, making quick time over the whitecaps that dotted the ocean's surface. Heading southeast they would soon shift to a more easterly direction so as to avoid the island of Bermuda. The sun was rising with a brightness that made the water sparkle, but the air was cool as the wind swept over the deck.

Seth stood at the helm, his thoughts turned toward Varuna and offloading the newest slaves. The Captain glanced down at the giant still tied to the deck wondering if this one was really worth it. The mutant was almost too huge to be of any use to anyone unless he could be controlled. And at its size, Seth doubted anyone would be willing to try.

He wondered if it wouldn't be in his best interest to simply kill the giant and dump the body overboard.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 22 November 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#206 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

"Thank you, Nemo," said Somphit as he helped her onto the launch. She sat down on the bench seat and made a mental note of the sailor who was carrying her satchel for her-- she didn't want that herbel remedy to get too far away.  The rocking of the boat was soothing as they crossed to the Eagle and she didn't understand why so many of her colleagues seemed uncomfortable. When they got to the ship, she almost seemed to float up the ladder to the deck.  She crossed to the port side and leaned on the railing, looking out at the endless sea. She could feel it surging like a sleeping monster beneath the soles of her feet.

She hoped Alexander was still alive to appreciate this amazing experience.

#207 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

"Welcome aboard, everyone," Captain Ward greeted the group as she approached. Ishmael followed a step or so behind her, accompanied by a russet-haired neochimp. "Our purser, Mr. Mzambarau," Ward gestured to the neochimp, who bowed his head slightly in acknowledgement, "has your berthing assignments. Again, welcome aboard and I hope to get a chance to talk with you more once we're underway." With that, Ward nodded politely, turned on her heel and departed.

Mzambarau took a step forward. "Welcome," he said in a clear tenor voice. "Before we begin, I have been authorized to offer you the freedom of the wardroom."

Mr. Peabody shifted slightly. "Your pardon, Mr. Mzambarau. The gunroom has voted to offer our guests the freedom of the gunroom as well."

Mzambarau nodded. "Thank you, Mr. Peabody."

"Your pardons, gentlemen," Ishmael interrupted. "The wardroom is where the ship's officers, except for the captain, eat, as well as relax when not on duty," he explained. "There's a small library, cards, some board games and so on. The gun room is a similar facility for senior ratings such as Mr. Peabody and middies like Ms. Fenwick here." Ishmael paused, then added, "As guests, it is perfectly proper to accept either or both invitations, as you choose."

"Now that that's out of the way," Mzambarau said, "Mr. Madsen, Mr. Nemo and Mr. Pearl-West, I've taken the liberty of placing you in middie berthing. Ms. Fenwick, if you would be so kind?"

Fenwick nodded. "Aye, sir. Gentlemen?"

As Fenwick began to lead the three men away, the bell Sophie had heard the night before rang twice, then once. The group turned toward the rear of the ship, where they saw a young man standing beside the brightly gleaming ship's bell. Below the bell, a sandglass had been installed in the bell's stand. As they watched, he inverted the glass, bringing the lower, sand-filled half to the top, and locked it in place.

"There, Nemo, see, that was three bells," Enoch said. "When the sand in the glass runs out in half an hour, then it will be four bells. Eight bells make one watch. or um, work shift. A four hour work shift." He frowned. "I'm a little unclear on how the dog watches work, though."

Fenwick's eyebrows rose. "Have you sailed before, Mr. Pearl-West?"

"Um, ah, nothing like this," Enoch stammered, "but I've read- studied- a lot- everything about- about- everything and- and- I've read a lot."

The corner of Fenwick's lip twitched with barely concealed amusement. "I see, sir." She glanced back to be sure Rex and Nemo were still following. then led the three men down a companionway. "Well I hope Eagle will be everything you expect, then."

Fenwick led them through the gun deck and onto the berth deck, where she stopped in front of an open hatch. "Your quarters, gentlemen."

Through the open hatch, they could see a narrow room, with space enough for one person, or possibly two if they were reasonably friendly, to stand. A pair of narrow bunks made up one wall, while a third bunk sat above a small desk and three-drawer dresser on the opposite wall. Several empty clothes hangars hung on a bar stretching between the two upper bunks, and they could see their bags had been set neatly below.

"I'll leave you to stow your gear," Fenwick said. "We should be getting underway in about 20 minutes, if you'd like to observe from the quarterdeck. Where you boarded," she explained.

Enoch frowned thoughtfully. This was middie berthing, and Ms. Fenwick had been introduced as a middie. "We're not umm, we're not putting you out, are we?"

"It's quite all right, sir," Fenwick answered. "If you will excuse me, I have other duties." With that, she bowed slightly and departed.

Enoch looked at Rex and Nemo. "I'll take the one over the desk, unless one of you wants it."

#208 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:05 PM

Amet had stopped struggling against the chains. They were well maintained and far too strong even for the giant to force his way out of. He had managed to squirm his way in to something that looked like a cross legged meditation pose to achieve some degree of comfort until the stillness itself became a problem and he had to move. He wanted to stretch but the chains barely allowed him to lift the meager rations from the floor to his mouth. He'd managed to stand up once, the chains kept him from standing up straight but he turned around and got a good view of the ship and the ocean. Vast emptiness dwarfing the biggest lakes he'd ever swam in. He wasn't even sure if he could know which way land was. He hoped when he escaped, if he escaped, that he'd be able to work it out from where the sun was but wasn't sure how far they'd sailed or even if they could be sailing around the continent. A few minutes after he'd stood up he found himself surrounded by several sailors pointing spears at him. They yelled at him to sit back down and he saw fear in their eyes. He was used to that look, most people were afraid of him but people who were scared did stupid things. Amet sat down before somebody decided to take the easy option and dispose of him. He wondered what the not so easy option was, where were they taking him and where was everyone else?

#209 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:05 AM

Isabella had followed Sophie up the rope ladder, she now stood next to her friend on the deck….”the climb may have been like our tree house, thank you for that, it made the climb so much easier, but this"…she turned and look around the ship…"this is nothing like it, it seems even bigger now we’re on board”  

She listened intently as Mr Mzambarau, Mr. Peabody and Ishmael told them about berths and freedom of rooms….she was once again grateful that Ishmael was there to explain everything to them….she nudged at Sophie “do we accept both offers, is that the correct, polite thing to do..I am so out of my depth here” she smile “no pun intended”

Nemo grinned…”he called me Mr. Nemo, no-one has ever called me that before….hey Rex do you think I should get myself another name, a last name…perhaps one like Enoch’s, two names”

Rex shook his head and put his hand on Nemo’s shoulder “Mr. Nemo sounds good to me, but if you want another name we’ll think of one for you, just not right now, maybe when this is over, when all our friends are safely back with us”

At the thought of Myka and the others Nemo stopped grinning…”Sorry Rex….I…you’re right…” he heard the bell and turned towards the rear of the ship.

"There, Nemo, see, that was three bells,"

He nodded…as Enoch explained about watches and shifts he nodded some more…”Thanks Enoch, I think I get it now”

"I'm a little unclear on how the dog watches work, though."

He frowned “Dog watches?” he sighed “Nope, you’ve lost me again”

Rex chuckled…”I’m sure everything will be made clear as time goes on, just think of all the new things we are going to learn”

When they reached their quarters he stared into the small room.”it’s going to be a tight squeeze!”

After Ms. Fenwick left Nemo sat on one of the narrow bunks.

“I'll take the one over the desk, unless one of you wants it."

“It’s fine with me, I’m happy here….it actually feels quite comfortable” the ship rolled gently and he gripped the side of the bunk….”Do people fall out of the bunks, you know when the ship goes up and down, what if there’s a storm..what if”

Rex glanced over at Enoch, then sat down next to Nemo “don’t think about the what ifs…they might never happen, if they happen then Enoch and I will help you…..if you feel unwell at any time get yourself up on deck, out into the fresh air…..remember what I told you on the launch”

Nemo stood up and started pacing, he discovered that their quarters were even smaller than they looked….”focus on a fixed point…take deep breaths” he squeezed past Enoch again “are sailors small people? They didn’t look particularly small, but how can they live like this, it’s so cramped!”

#210 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

Before Ms. Fenwick led Nemo, Enoch, and Rex away, another sailor politely approached John and Abel. They glanced at Sophie and she nodded. They were led away to see their quarters, she assumed.

Do we accept both offers, is that the correct, polite thing to do..I am so out of my depth here...no pun intended.”

Sophie smirked slightly at Isabella as she whispered to her, then she turned to Mr. Peabody and Mr. Mzam...well, damn, she couldn't remember the rest of the Evolved chimp's name. She'd have to work on remembering last names. Apparently, this was going to be an extremely polite trip.

“Thank you,...gentlemen,” she said, copying Ishmael. “We'd be pleased to accept both of your offers.” Well, Ishmael had said they could, and Sophie didn't want to be rude nor have everyone confined to one area. “There's so many of us descending on you and your ship that we appreciate you including us like this.”

The ship rocked slightly in the harbor causing Sophie to readjust her stance so as to keep her balance. She'd have to get used to that! The wind gusted slightly blowing the escaped tendrils of hair from her ponytail into her face for a moment.

The two men nodded, seemingly pleased.

After the others had departed, leaving just Ishmael, Isabella, Somphit, and herself with the officers, Sophie glanced at Ishmael. She assumed someone would assign the rest of the sleeping quarters as well, unless Ishmael already had one...to himself or for the both of them.

“Once we get settled,” Sophie said to Mr. Peabody and Mr. Mzam...crap!..., “perhaps Isa...uh, Dr. Blackwell could meet the ship's doctor? And I've heard about your...cook, Ma Killick,” she said with a grin. “With all of us now needing to eat we brought some extra food supplies for you, and I was hoping Somphit could be of some help?”

#211 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:08 AM

"The ship does have an actual chronometer, that is, a clock, but the glass is traditional," Ishmael explained. "Plus it makes a good double-check."

“Once we get settled, perhaps Isa...uh, Dr. Blackwell could meet the ship's doctor? And I've heard about your...cook, Ma Killick. With all of us now needing to eat we brought some extra food supplies for you, and I was hoping Somphit could be of some help?”

Mzambarau and Peabody both glanced over at Somphit, who was still gazing out to sea in apparent obliviousness to her surroundings.

"I can talk to Ms. Killick, let her know she has a new helper," Peabody offered.

"Thank you, Mr. Peabody, that would be appreciated," Mzambarau said. Peabody nodded and departed. "Now, if everyone would follow me, please? And yes, thank you for the additional supplies, Ms. Drake, they will be most helpful," he continued as he led the group down a companionway ladder, through the gun deck and onto the berth deck. "Dr. Blackwell, Ms. Somphit your-"

The door to the cabin flew open, revealing a round-faced young man with an armful of clothing. "Oops. Sorry, sorry," he said as he hastily exited the cabin. "Just clearing out a few last things."

"Our fourth mate, Mr. Groen," Mzambarau explained.

Groen nodded. "A pleasure, everyone. Welcome aboard." He started to reach out a hand and almost dropped the pile of clothing, barely catching it in time. "Um, ah, welcome aboard," he repeated. "I just need to-" he nodded to the pile, then turned and walked down the corridor to another cabin. "It was nice to meet you," he called over his shoulder as he disappeared inside.

Mzambarau shook his head. "As I was saying, Dr. Blackwell, Ms. Somphit, here is your cabin." Through the open hatch they could see a pair of narrow bunks making up one wall. The opposite wall held a small, built-in desk beside a low chest-of-drawers, also built into the wall. A bar above provided a place to hang clothing. "I believe Dr. Tavus is in the wardroom at the moment, Doctor," he added.

"And we're over here," Ishmael said to Sophie, opening the door of another cabin. Inside, Sophie could see a single narrow bunk. Ishmael reached up into the overhead and unhooked a pair of lines, allowing a narrow cot to be lowered, which took up the remaining space. "There are 235 officers and crew aboard, not counting us," he explained as he returned the cot to its stowed position, "so there's not a lot of extra space. This is normally the Lieutenant of Marines cabin, she's bunking with Mr. Mzambarau. Isabella and Somphit are in the third and fourth mates' cabin, they'll be hot-bunking with the first and second mates.

"If Eagle were a standard merchant ship, the crew would be much smaller," Ishmael continued as he and Sophie unpacked, "and there wouldn't be any marines aboard. But she's one of a handful of League ships whose primary mission is to hunt pirates, and slavers, and generally to keep the sea-lanes safe for everyone, which is why she's as heavily-armed as she is, and why she needs such a large crew."

Ishmael looked around their cabin to make sure everything had been put away properly. "Let's get Isabella and Somphit, and stop by the wardroom," he suggested. "Then whoever would like can go back up top to watch our departure."

#212 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:30 AM

Mzambarau had stepped into his day cabin while Ishmael, Sophie, Isabella and Somphit unpacked, and came out when he heard them leave their cabins. "Wardroom, sir?" Ishmael nodded, and Mzambarau led them to the wardroom. Halting just outside the open door, he called, "Dr. Tavus" then stepped inside, allowing the others to enter behind him.

A hand emerged from behind a large book and imperiously pointed to a small box on the wall.

"I was outside, Baraz," Mzambarau said mildly.

The book lowered, revealing an older, grey-haired man with a magnificent handlebar mustache, who glared suspiciously at Mzambarau.

"He was," the other occupant of the wardroom confirmed. "Although that wasn't exactly nice, Mosi," she chided. The brown-haired woman set aside the banjo she'd been quietly practicing on and stood. "Lieutenant Devon Mustard, League Marines," she introduced herself, pronouncing her rank as if it were spelled 'left-tenant'. "This grumpy old bear is Baraz Tavus, our ship's surgeon, and you've already met Mosi."

Ishmael introduced their group, then added, "Since it's meant to be a place to relax, wardroom etiquette is usually less formal than in the working areas of the ship, although this is the first time I've seen it enforced with actual penalties."

"Quite necessary with this lot, I assure you," Baraz responded. "If certain people had their way, everyone here would use nothing but surnames all the time."

"To be fair, none of our parents saddled us with a name like Magnificent either," Devon pointed out.

"I suggested Maggie, but he didn't like that," Mosi put in.

Baraz rolled his eyes. "Ignore him. We do. Isabella, always a pleasure to meet a fellow physician. And Somphit, I understand you're in the medical field as well?"

"I'm heading up on deck," Ishmael said. "It's almost time to weigh anchor."

#213 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

"I can talk to Ms. Killick, let her know she has a new helper."

Sophie watched as Mr. Peabody headed off to one of the still-unknown places on the ship, then she glanced again at the large hour glass that was keeping the time. It was interesting they still had a clock, as Ishmael had informed them. Keeping and telling time in this world was strange...many people didn't even understand time as it was once known; whereas others, like Department 7 and even back at the underground facility in their settlement, had experienced computer clocks that had kept the time since the great war. How totally accurate they were, Sophie didn't know but the keeping of time had always interested her.

Suddenly she realized they were moving, led by Mr. Mzambar...dang, she almost remembered it! The group filed down into the ship via a ladder where the spaces grew smaller and tighter. At one cabin door someone, who was hastily moving out, nearly knocked them over...Mr. Groen, according to their guide.

"This looks...interesting," Sophie whispered to Isabella. "I guess we don't have to do much more than sleep here, really. Somphit, are you okay with small spaces?" she asked the healer. "It's only for a few days from what I was told."

Leaving Somphit and Isabella to their small quarters for the moment, Sophie followed Ishmael down the narrow corridor to another cabin after he gestured for her to follow. As they squeezed into the room, she laughed. "Wow, cozy," she said, not normally one to use such a word. But it fit. "You can have that one," she pointed as Ishmael pulled down the top bunk. The ship shifted slightly under her feet. "I have less distance to fall if I roll out of the bottom one."

She tried to picture them both in one of the beds...now that would be 'cozy'...but they were just too small for two people. She wondered if Ishmael would even fit seeing as how tall he was.

"There are 235 officers and crew aboard, not counting us, so there's not a lot of extra space. This is normally the Lieutenant of Marines cabin, she's bunking with Mr. Mzambarau. Isabella and Somphit are in the third and fourth mates' cabin, they'll be hot-bunking with the first and second mates."

Sophie nodded. "I feel bad putting all those people out of their rooms," she said. "It's generous of them to help us like this. I'd like to know more about the League sometime...I know you've talked about it, but not all that often."

She started to help Ishmael unpack what they could and stow it in the small chest-of-drawers and on the bar with the hangers. Then she leaned against the desk built into the wall to let her mass of hair out its confinement. The strands were all loose anyway and coming out on their own. She found a scarf in one of the drawers and simply used it as a headband to keep the hair out of her face.

"If Eagle were a standard merchant ship, the crew would be much smaller, and there wouldn't be any marines aboard. But she's one of a handful of League ships whose primary mission is to hunt pirates, and slavers, and generally to keep the sea-lanes safe for everyone, which is why she's as heavily-armed as she is, and why she needs such a large crew."

Sophie understood that marines were the fighters, who manned the weapons. She wondered if the ship waiting for them in Bermuda had weapons...if it were a former pirate ship then she assumed it would have some defenses. Weapons, she could understand...how they were going to sail the thing, that she didn't have a clue yet. They were in for some serious training.

"Let's get Isabella and Somphit, and stop by the wardroom, Then whoever would like can go back up top to watch our departure."

Sophie agreed and walked out in front of Ishmael. She wondered how it felt for him to be back on a ship after all these years. Maybe they'd have some down time later to spend together...things had been so hectic lately. The idea of being out on the open waters seemed somewhat romantic...Sophie smiled to herself...had she really just thought that word?

Mr. Mzam...barau...yes! she'd remembered!...led them all back up to the wardroom. Sophie looked at everything along the way, memorizing their path through the ship and trying to keep it all straight. The room was small but relaxing looking with chairs, and tables that seemed to be attached the the floor, and a wall of books and games safely secured.

They met Dr. Tavus and Lieutenant Devon-Mustard. Sophie was sure that Isabella would get a kick out of that massive mustache the doctor sported. Despite his crusty exterior, she bet the older grey-haired man had some soft spots. Isabella would get to him...people couldn't help but like their doctor.

Ishmael introduced all of them...and Sophie was relieved to hear that at least first names would be used in here. She wandered over to peer out the windows to see the villagers still watching the ship from the docks as the officers bantered back and forth. The casualness made her smile. The crew had so far been very welcoming. She decided she liked this wardroom.

"I'm heading up on deck. It's almost time to weigh anchor."

"I'm coming," Sophie replied turning around, putting a hand on Ishmael's shoulder for a moment. He put a hand briefly over hers and squeezed gently. "I don't want to miss leaving the harbor. We have to start learning how this all works." Then the two of them headed out the open door first.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 27 November 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#214 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:04 AM

The Captain watched with narrowed eyes from behind his beat up sunglasses as the giant moved around as best he could on the deck of Ghost's Freedom...despite the chains. So far the metal chains had held the mutant. Seth ran a dirty, calloused hand over his nearly bald head, smoothing down the patch of hair at the top that continued down into a long, thick dark braid. It was secured at the end with a leather tie that ended in gold teeth he'd extracted from some prisoner along the way. He scratched at his unkempt beard that reached to his chest.

His well-worn brocaded, long jacket blew behind him in the wind as the Captain turned to yell at his crew.

"Bring 'em up to the deck!"

Myka, Alexander, Cassie, and a silent, cowering Ryland were hand-and-ankle cuffed with chains and allowed up onto the main deck squinting in the bright sun after the darkness of the hold. Cassie breathed in the fresh sea air while Myka wanted to bask in the morning sun. They were chained to large rings bolted to the wooden deck. Suddenly water was thrown on all of them—several buckets worth of sea water--before they could defend themselves against the onslaught.

“Don't let the stink take a hold a'them,” the Captain called from the wheel deck. He stood at the railing with a sneer of disgust as he watched the mutants. “You'll speak when spoken to...do nothing we don't tell you,” he ordered.

He didn't miss the way Hawk stared at the woman with the strange, metal-looking arm.

"AMET!" Myka suddenly yelled upon seeing her friend chained down across the way to the deck. "Oh, you're here...!" she began, before the big, black pirate who'd grabbed her on the beach slammed his hand into her back.

Myka collapsed to the deck, gasping for air, her hands trapped in the cuffs and her dripping wet with cold sea water. Cassie yelled angrily then shut up when the dark haired slaver who'd fought with her took a step in her direction, snarling. She glanced over to make sure Alexander was still alright.

The Captain laughed. "Good remembering to not injure the face, Demon. I'd hate to whip you again for damaging the goods."

Demon growled at no one in particular but dared Myka to make another sound.

Myka simply lay on the deck attempting to breathe again.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 27 November 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#215 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

”Do people fall out of the bunks, you know when the ship goes up and down, what if there’s a storm..."

Enoch examined the pair of heavy canvas curtains that could be drawn across the bunk for privacy, then the bunk itself. "Nemo, Rex." He held out one of the curtains, showing them the line of grommets along the lower edge. "There's a line of hooks, in between the mattress and the lip of the bunk," he said. "These curtains are heavy enough they probably cut off quite a bit of sound when they're closed, as well as light," he added thoughtfully.

“Are sailors small people? They didn’t look particularly small, but how can they live like this, it’s so cramped!”

"I think this is just a place to sleep, really," Enoch answered. "There's the wardroom, and the gunroom, and probably at least a mess for the regular sailors." He stepped past Nemo and added, "I wanted to watch our departure so I'm going to head back up on deck."

#216 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:08 AM

"I don't want to miss leaving the harbor. We have to start learning how all this works."

Ishmael squeezed Sophie's hand. "You, all of you, will need to take in a lot of information in a very short time," he said as they walked. "I'll try to keep it simple, but let me know if I'm overloading-"

"All hands," they heard a voice on deck call as they reached the companionway, "set special movement conditions throughout the ship. Conditions are: starboard up and forward, port aft and down." They could hear a faint echo as the order was repeated by someone farther away.

Ishmael immediately changed course and led Sophie to another companionway on the opposite side of the ship. "All right, so that's one of the first things I need to teach everyone," he said as he led Sophie up the companionway and out on deck to a spot where Sophie could see what was happening, but they would be out of the way.

"Now," Ishmael continued, "the front of the ship is the bow and the rear is the stern. Looking forward, toward the bow, the starboard side of the ship is on your right, and the port side is to your left. For directions aboard ship, the important thing to remember is that they are in relation to the ship, not to you personally. So forward is always toward the front of the ship, toward the bow, no matter which way you're facing. If you're looking back toward the stern, forward is behind you, and you are looking aft or astern." He shrugged. "The terms are interchangeable, so it doesn't matter which one you use. And starboard is in the direction of the starboard side of the ship, port is in the direction of the port side."

The cry "Anchor is aweigh!" came from the foredeck, followed by a flurry of other commands from around the ship, including: "On the main! Let fall royal! Let fall t'gallant!" and "On the mizzen! Hoist the lower spanker!", among others that Sophie couldn't quite make out.

"'Anchor is aweigh' means the ship's anchor has been lifted free of the bottom, and Eagle is now a ship under sail, instead of a ship at anchor," Ishmael explained. "It marks the official start of our voyage."

#217 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

"This looks...interesting," Sophie whispered to Isabella. "I guess we don't have to do much more than sleep here, really. Somphit, are you okay with small spaces?" she asked the healer. "It's only for a few days from what I was told."

Holding her satchel to her chest, Somphit leaned around the corner of the hatchway and looked around the room.  "Yes, I like this room," she said. "It feels safe and secure. We'll all be close together."

Later, in the wardroom, they met several new crewmembers, including Dr. Baraz, who unexpectedly said to her, "And Somphit, I understand you're in the medical field as well?"

She blushed and cleared her throat, "Well, sir, I've been a healer for most of my life. I've never had any formal training, so I don't know if I can say that I'm in the field.  My grandmother had medical school training before the war and she had a degree in herbal medicine.  She taught me everything she could before she died."

#218 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:44 AM

Nemo watched Enoch leave then turned to Rex “the gunroom sounds interesting, assuming it has actual guns and isn’t just called that, you never know with this nautical speak”

Rex laughed “Come on then Nemo let’s go up on deck and watch the land disappear as we sail away”

Nemo paled “umm, about that, perhaps I could stay down here? I know leaving land means we’re heading out to rescue the others, but the whole leaving the land thing? I’ve learned to admit that I am not good with not being on land, there was the whole terrifying rope bridge scenario back when we were searching for the mystical healing flower and now this…”

Rex gave the young man a gentle shove out of the door…”you’ll be fine once you get your sea legs, trust me, and you’ll be better on the deck, in the fresh air than stuck down here, plus Enoch was right, we have to learn how to sail and now seems like a very good time to start”

"Isabella, always a pleasure to meet a fellow physician."

Isabella smiled at Dr Tavus “indeed it is Dr…I mean…Baraz..perhaps when we’re sailing, sorry I don’t know the correct terminology yet…perhaps you could show me around the medical area?”

"I'm heading up on deck. It's almost time to weigh anchor."

“ Baraz…you’ll excuse me, but I’ve never been on a ship before and I would like to watch us leave”

She hurried up to the deck leaving Somphit chatting to the ships Doctor….the Doctor with the most incredible facial hair, she chuckled to herself as she emerged on to the deck…seeing Nemo and Rex she went over to them

“Hi guys, are your quarters as cosy as mine and Somphits?”

Rex nodded…”cosy is one word, cramped and maybe claustrophobic are two others”

"Conditions are: starboard up and forward, port aft and down."

Nemo shook his head “here we go again…where’s Ishmael…or Enoch…I need a translator”

"Anchor is aweigh"

Rex smiled “I know this one, it means they’ve pulled the anchor up…..we are now sailing”

Nemo shuffled towards the side of the ship and clung on, he could feel himself moving up and down with the swell of the sea…..he heard the water as it lapped against the boat, the noise of the sails as they fluttered in the wind, the smell of the salt as they moved away from the harbour…he kept his eyes firmly fixed on the horizon “Rex? Agent Madsen…..how long until I get sea legs?”

Rex and Isabella looked at one another and laughed “Poor Nemo” they went over to him and Isabella laid her hand over one of Nemos while Rex explained “you have to let your brain readjust, soon it will register this motion…movement as normal, as the ship pitches and rolls..”

Nemo turned even paler and Isabella shook her head at Rex

“sorry, as the ship ..no, ok, um…about a day, maybe 2…yeah, 2 at most…unless you’re one of the unfortunate ones”

Isabella sighed “Rex..please!…Nemo you will be ok, you will adjust…I know you will…now let’s go and find Ishmael and find out the basics”

Nemo’s knuckles turned white as he tightened his grip “I’ll stay here, you go find him and then you can just tell me what I need to know…please, just let me stay here for a little while”

#219 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

Day 2,
Out at sea, heading toward Bermuda:

"'Anchor is aweigh' means the ship's anchor has been lifted free of the bottom, and Eagle is now a ship under sail, instead of a ship at anchor. It marks the official start of our voyage."

As Sophie stood on the deck with the ship surrounded by nothing but the ocean, she remembered what Ishmael had said when they'd begun to sail out of the harbor yesterday. Being up this high from the water, the fear of what was underneath didn't maker her as nervous. And Sophie didn't like to feel nervous about things. She had to be more in control than that. Nonetheless she gripped the railing and tried to look toward the horizon of sea and sky, not downward into the frothing water made by the ships bow. She glanced at the sun, partially risen in the sky, just as the ship's bell rang eight times.

“Eight o'clock,” she murmured to herself. She had begun to grow accustomed to the sound of the bells every half hour, although all through the night was a bit much. Still she'd stopped hearing them after awhile and had fallen into a deep sleep, especially with the rhythmic movement of the ship.

And she actually had not fallen out of bed, much to her relief.

Turning around she saw there was the usual bustle of activity on the deck but at least she was recognizing various crew members now. She even spotted John and Abel busy following a couple of them around, starting to learn to sail already. She gave a tentative wave to Mr. Peabody as he supervised the deck crew on duty.

Yesterday and last night had been mostly getting under way, the crew compensating for the broken mast and getting them out to sea. Her people had spent the evening adjusting to being on a ship as well as meeting the crew and relaxing somewhat in the wardroom. Except Sophie hadn't seen Nemo too much, she hoped he was feeling better this morning. Tonight there would be more of a gathering of some of the officers and her group in the wardroom for dinner.

Then her stomach rumbled. Sophie frowned. She wasn't actually sure when breakfast was...or if she'd missed it. Or where everyone else was, for that matter. It was strange how she lost track of everyone when they were contained in such a small area...at least with the trucks and just their small group it had been easier. Well, at least she knew they were here somewhere. Sophie began to scan the deck first to see if she could spot anyone.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 11 December 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#220 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

Freedom's Ghost:

The Evolved dolphin's had continued overnight to follow the pirate ship where the humans had been taken aboard. The ones that Amet had rescued on the beach were especially active at leaping out of the water in an attempt to see the giant chained onto the deck of the ship. They would communicate telepathically with each other about possible rescue attempts, but nothing seemed to be within their actual abilities. Frustrated they reverted to clicking and whistling to each other.

Finally one took a chance and swam closer to the pirate ship, aware that if one of the two-legged ones saw him and used the harpoon gun, that he might become dinner. Swimming under the water and close to the side of the sailing ship, he attempted to send the giant mental images that they were following. The ship was close to changing course for heading out into the wide expanse of the ocean, past the inhabited islands where the League ships used the ports. Some of the dolphins could communicate with a few of the humans in the League who knew their language.

But soon it would be to great of a distance to follow and help.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 05 December 2015 - 01:30 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users