• This topic is locked This topic is locked
285 replies to this topic

#61 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:02 PM

“Yeah, you and me both," said Rex.  "…how about I get you out of the wind and then I’ll go get the cords from the sleeping truck, I think I’m less likely to get knocked off my feet” he was just steering Alexander towards the nearest truck when Cassie approached

"Pffft," replied Alexander, spitting out a mouthful of rain.  "Sounds good to me."

"Somphit…shhh, it’s alright, you’re safe, I’m here, Alexander is here, we’ll keep you safe from the storm"…. Isabella glanced up at Alexander….”Sit with her..talk to her, I am going to give her a mild sedative because this storm isn’t going to stop any time soon and…it’ll be safer for her, for everyone”

She took the sedative out of the med kit and as Alexander sat next to Somphit she administered it….”she’s going to need you Alexander, you have to stay with her, make her feel safe” she smiled..”I have an idea…when I got scared as a child and couldn’t sleep, Joseph used to make me a ‘safe place’ usually it was just blankets thrown over a table, but I could crawl in and it felt safe…you could make a safe place here, use whatever you want”

Somphit recognized the voice of the doctor who had come to the village and helped them. It was coming from far away and from underwater. The banging and howling and static was so loud that she couldn't make out the words. It sounded like gunfire and bombs and people screaming as they died.  Then she felt a hand on her arm and looked down.  There was a hand around her wrist and it had six fingers. That was Alexander!

She tried to force her eyes up to look at him when there was a sudden sharp jab in her other arm-- in moments, a warm wave flowed through her body, loosening her muscles and joints and washing away the tightness in her chest that constricted her breathing and made her heart pound.  She gasped, taking a deep breath and exhaling, and flowed to a sitting position on the floor.

"Whoa," she said. "Wow. That's better. What was happening to me?"

#62 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

A wanderer, and a picker-up of unregarded trifles.

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:57 PM

At Ishmael's signal Dmitri drove the supply truck forward, closing off the square formed by the four larger trucks and providing, if not an oasis of calm, at least some measure of protection from the wind for the livestock truck in the center, although the rain continued to pour down unabated. Up above, John and Wynn used the nylon cords Alexander had found to lash the top part of the supply truck to its neighbors while the rest of the group did the same lower down with cable and chain. Stakes were driven into the ground along this last outside edge to brace the crude wall formed by a combination of logs and sandbags which further helped block the wind, as well as providing an additional measure of bracing for the truck itself.

"We've done all we can for now," Ishmael yelled to Sophie. "Let's get everyone into the sleeping truck so we can answer all their questions at once."

"What we're looking at is the outer edge of a hurricane," Ishmael explained once everyone who could had gathered. "A massive storm with strong winds in excess of 74 miles per hour and sustained heavy rain, all of it rotating rapidly around an area of extreme low pressure, called the eye, and moving in a generally western or north-western direction."

Enoch raised a mud-covered arm. "I've read that hurricanes can be well over a thousand miles across. Or more."

"Yes, but that's pretty rare," Ishmael answered. "The vast majority are only a few hundred miles in diameter at most. At this point," he continued, "we have no idea how big this storm is or how fast it's moving. If we're lucky, it'll just graze us and this is the worst we'll see. If not-" Ishmael grimaced. "If not, we may be here for a few days." He looked around the sleeping truck. "Now, does anyone have any questions?"

#63 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

As Ishmael explained the situation to everyone at once and answered their questions, Sophie still couldn't picture a storm like he was describing out on the ocean. In fact after her brief, first time glimpse of the vast thing that was the ocean...something she'd only ever seen in pictures and old videos back at the settlement's underground facility...she was still having trouble visualizing that.

Then she watched John and Abel slip out of the overly crowded sleeping truck and into the still raging storm. They returned shortly with several cloths bags tied at the top...the ones the group used for general storage.

"We'd bagged these up before hand...while you two were gone," John explained after he'd struggled to close the door. "Some of the small boxes of water and portable food...just in case this storm turned in to something more serious. We've got a something else...we'll be back."

Sophie nodded in relief. Now that they'd missed dinner she, at least, was starving. "Smart thinking, thank you! But hurry...be careful out there. This hurricane could hit any moment now. If you don't have to go out..."

"No worries, Sophie...it's not as bad out there with the trucks breaking the wind," John replied, although his dripping wet clothes said the opposite about the rain.

When they opened the door again the barking of a dog could be heard over the storm.

"VARG!" Myka exclaimed, pushing away from the wall she was leaning against. "Nemo! He's gotten out somehow...he'll get blown away by the storm! We have to get him back in with the animals...the back doors might be open!" With that Myka pushed past the guards and dashed out into the storm-darkened night.

"MYKA!" Sophie yelled, but it was too late. "Nemo...," she began to say but the young man had already taken off after her.

"We'll help them," Abel called out as he and John, too, headed off.

A noise banging on the side of the sleeping truck startled those left. Dmitri and Wynn signaled that they would check it out. The fierce wind blew in almost preventing them from leaving but they disappeared into the dark.

Sophie turned back to Ishmael and Isabella. "If this is going to last a while, Isabella might need her portable med kit." She turned to her friend. "You think you and Rex can make it to the med truck?" she asked. "I'm going back to the command truck...I want to see if there's anything showing on the computers."

After returning from the cliffs, Sophie had decided to see if the computer system could help them. The former military truck had its own sensors and radar capabilities...most of which Sophie didn't understand...but she'd figured out months ago that there were limited systems available for monitoring the surrounding weather and environment...although probably nothing to really help them "see" this hurricane.**

"I'll be back," she promised Ishmael. On her way out, Sophie grabbed one of the bags of food and water...just in case...and held it close as she stepped out, fighting the wind and rain.

Once Sophie and the others had left, Cassie frowned. "Holy crap, Enoch! Are you serious? A thousand miles across?" She shook her head and blew out a breath as she stood in the small entry way to her quarters. "I think I like Ishmael's version better, but still a hundred miles is going to cause a hell of a lot of damage. Sounds like we'd better strap in and hang on."

OOC: Okay...everyone put yourselves in a place to get where you want to ride out the storm ;).

**I have no idea what I'm talking about but we'll just go with it and figure it out if need be :o!!

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 11 June 2015 - 02:45 PM.

#64 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

OH NO! I made a huge mistake and edited your post instead of quoting it! I didn't even realize it and couldn't get it back! I"M SORRY!!!! I tried to go back but it wouldn't let me. Isabella and Rex left to run to the med truck.

--Nikki

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 14 June 2015 - 09:27 PM.

#65 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

Amet held the door for Dimitri and Wynn as they investigated the banging on the sleeping truck using a giant hand to brace it against the wind. The world outside looked furious and he wondered what could cause such a thing as a hurricane. What Ishmael had described seemed impossible but here the fury of nature was coming upon them. He closed his eyes and tried not to feel helpless as they truly were.

#66 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

As the winds grew wilder and the truck began to rock more extremely from side to side, Alexander began to worry that they might tip over, despite being tied down and lashed to the other trucks.  What would happen if all the trucks tipped over?  Would they be able to set them right, or would they have to walk back to the Department 7 headquarters? Alexander had read a lot of books about meteorology and plenty of novels in which the drama arose from the characters being imperiled by a hurricane, but he was unprepared for the brutal onslaught of nature unleashed.  The valley in Northampton had always protected them from the worst of the storms.

Luckily, Somphit had relaxed a lot since Isabella had given her a sedative, but with the storm getting worse Alexander hoped she didn't have another breakdown.

"Don't worry," he told her.  "I'm sure we're going to be just fine."

"I'm not worried a bit," she replied.  "This is amazing.  Listen to that wind!  We never had storms at all back in the village.  When I was a kid up north we had some severe blizzards in the wintertime, but nothing like this.  What was it like out there?  I bet the clouds are gigantic.  Did the wind knock you down?  Was there stuff flying through the air?  I wonder if any trees will get knocked over.  I'd love to go out there and experience this for real.  Do you think they'd let me go outside?  I wonder what the lake looks like in weather like this.  The water is probably jumping all over the place.  Imagine going skinny dipping today!  That would be fantastic.  The waves would probably throw you right up into the air.  Or imagine the ocean!  I wish we could have gone with them down to the beach to see what the ocean looks like. And you can see more sky from there, too.  I've never been swimming in the ocean.  I've never even seen the ocean before. I'd love to go swimming in the ocean, especially in a hurricane.  Do you think they'd let us go down there?  After all, they got to go down there and see it.  Why shouldn't we?  How bad can it be?  This is the experience of a lifetime.  Imagine swimming naked in the ocean in the middle of a hurricane!  That's what I call being at one with nature.  My grandmother used to talk about being at one with nature all the time.  She used to meditate to be at one with nature.  But she never saw nature like this.  I want to be naked in the ocean with the wind howling and lightning and thunder all around me.  That would be an adventure.  We should all appreciate all this raw, primal nature while we have the chance. I know you want to come, Alexander, because you like adventure.  You told me about all those amazing books.  I wish I had that many books.  Someday we can go back and rescue your library from the mutant plants and you can live there again and I can read all those books.  We only had a few books when I was a kid and they were all about medicine and meditation.  I want to read all the books there are and experience nature and travel all around.  Hey, Isabella, let's all go down to the beach and swim naked in the ocean!"

#67 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:29 PM

Cassie's mouth nearly fell open at the stream of consciousness coming from Somphit...the agent was half tempted to follow Rex and Isabella out of the truck and run after them. But, on the other hand, the endless chatter was much better than the screaming, Cassie had to admit. Chatter she could tune out...or let it fade to a murmur while her mind wandered.

"Uh, Somphit?" Cassie said, "Isabella and Rex already left, but I'm sure the doctor would suggest we wait until the storm passes before doing any more swimming...especially, uh, naked." Cassie couldn't help but smirk at the memory of earlier in the day. Luckily Alexander hadn't been at all disturbed at the ruckus he'd caused...it really had all been just an accident.

Then she turned back to Enoch and Ishmael as the truck gave another jolt, and she had to steady herself. Amet had managed to get the door closed after Wynn and Dmitri had left. She could hear the rain pounding down on the outside. "I don't think anyone is going to make it back here," she said. "That sounds like it's hitting us hard now."

Sophie had barely made it to the command truck and slipped inside the side door. She stood dripping for a moment as the fusion powered lights flickered on. She hung the bag of supplies on a hook before stripping off her jacket. The thump of the truck rocking made her realize she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, so it was imperative that she access the cab and the comm system. Her messing around with the computers and the radar would have to wait. It was rather obvious that the storm was upon them.

But her wet clothes were making Sophie feel cold and clammy. She shrugged, then completely stripped and left everything on the metal floor. Shivering she padded quickly to the small door that led to the cab connected to the truck and climbed the short ladder, then slipped through landing on the bed. In the small space that she and Ishmael shared, along with a cabin in the sleeping truck, Sophie wrapped her hair in towel. She found some dry clothes and started to hurriedly dress.

Once they'd released the scrap of metal that had lodged itself to the outside of the sleeping truck, Wynn and Dmitri barely had time to scramble into the cab of the truck as the sky itself opened up and dumped heavier rain and ferocious winds down on them. They decided to remain there for the time being, as Wynn handed the other guard a towel from his small quarters inside.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 14 June 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#68 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

John and Abel barely made it to the supply truck before the storm hit full force, and they were almost blown away. They at least managed to see Nemo and Myka reach the livestock truck safely.

"In here!" John yelled as he yanked open the side door to the truck. Abel had a death grip on one of the chains holding the trucks together.

He and Abel stumbled inside and over several crates. But at least they were out of the storm. The lights flickered on low illuminating their way.

"Holy crap!" Myka exclaimed, collapsing against a hand-tied hay bale.

She wiped the dripping water from her face and watched as pools of water formed around her. The chickens squawked at her when she accidentally flicked water on them making sure they were all in their hutch. Nemo let her know the larger animals were also still safe.

"No way we're getting back now, Nemo," she said, listening to the rain on the protective covering surrounding the truck. "I think we're stuck here now. I mean," she added hastily, "not that that's a bad thing...being stuck with you...I mean not that I'm stuck with you, I'd rather be here with you than...well, than not," she finished lamely.

Varg woofed softly as if laughing at her, and she stuck her tongue out at the dog. "You, on the other hand," she glared, "I'm stuck with. So hush." The big dog let his tongue hang out as he settled down into a pile of hay.

"So...uh...I don't suppose you'd let me borrow a shirt or something?" she asked Nemo. "I can't spend the rest of the night drippy wet."

#69 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:23 AM

Ishmael had had his hand on the door, ready to follow Sophie when Somphit began her stream of consciousness. He shook his head. "Swimming through even a small storm isn't nearly as much fun as you might think," he said, once Somphit had wound down, or at least stopped to breathe. "Trust me on this." He turned to Amet, Cassie and Enoch. "Comm checks once an hour," he ordered. "Work out a watch schedule among yourselves. With any luck we'll get through this just fine, and the biggest danger will be boredom, but if anyone does have to leave, always keep one hand on the trucks as you go. It's real easy to get disoriented, even in as small and enclosed a space as we've made out there."

"Ishmael," Enoch spoke up. "Sophie said she was going to use the computers to try to um, to try and figure this storm out?"

Ishmael's eyebrow rose. "She did."

Enoch gestured around them. "I mean, the trucks are grounded and everything, and the computers are hardened and surge protected and everything else, but there's only so much that can be done. Even a close lightning strike could do some serious damage."

"Even with the computers powered down?"

Enoch shrugged. "The odds are better than if they're up and running, but there's always a chance."

Ishmael nodded. "We'll be quick, and we'll shut them down as soon as we're done. Remember, comm checks once an hour," he added, and stepped out into the storm.

"Don't worry, Cass," Enoch said after the door had closed behind Ishmael. "You should be fine as long as you don't plug into anything." He gave her a wry smile. "Or you do get hit by lightning, although in that case you'll probably have more to worry about. Now, who wants first watch?"

#70 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:49 AM

Ishmael moved as quickly as he could through the storm, one hand holding on to the truck beside him as he went. He quickly discarded the idea of stopping to make sure Nemo and Myka had made it to the livestock truck safely. The livestock truck had its own radio, he'd comm them as soon as he made it to the Command truck and let them know about the comm checks. He'd need to comm Isabella and Rex in the medical truck, and whoever was in the supply truck- John and Abel, he thought- as well.

Ishmael wrenched open the side door of the command truck and slipped inside. He saw Sophie's jacket and the bag of supplies hanging on a hook near the door, and the pile of wet clothes lying in the middle of the floor, but no sign of the woman herself. "Sophie?" he called.

#71 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

Nemo secured the doors of the livestock truck and leaned against them….he wiped the rain from his face with his hands, kicked of his sodden boots then shook his head, spraying water everywhere….the truck rocked and tilted as a strong gust hit it side on

“You’re right, we’re not going anywhere…we’ll be safe here….we have food and water, we can stay back here with the animals to keep them calm, we have plenty of hay to keep us warm…and blankets from the cab”…he smiled at Myka….”I think being stuck here with you is going to be great, you’re the only person I’d want to be stuck with” he looked at Varg…”Being stuck with you is going to be less fun, I will never get used to the smell of wet dog”

"So...uh...I don't suppose you'd let me borrow a shirt or something

He looked at Myka, her wet shirt was sticking to her like a second skin…

“Sure….somewhere, in the sleeping area maybe…or”…he was trying hard not to stare..”take that one off, I’ll um..go get you a dry one…you should probably take everything off….everything that’s wet I mean…you’ll get a chill..I should too…not at the same time…you stay there, I’ll throw some dry clothes out and you can get changed, I’ll get changed up there…that’ll work…won’t be a moment”

He hurried past her, he’d made some minor modifications to the truck and could now access his sleeping area through the back of the truck, unlike the other trucks where that was standard, his truck had been different…he patted Mac who had his nose buried in his food bag…”nothing gets between you and food does it” Mac flicked his tail and continued eating as Nemo clambered  up into the sleeping area and rummaged through his bag of clothes….he threw a black t-shirt and a long sleeved cotton over-shirt out into the truck…”Sorry Myka, I don’t have any spare pants, but the shirt is pretty long, it should reach your knees at least and I have a blanket you can wrap round you”

He changed into dry clothes and roughly towel dried his hair…

“Are you dressed? Can I come back there?”

Isabella looked out of the side window of the med truck…”Rex, I don’t think we’re going to make it back to the sleeping truck….the wind is getting stronger by the minute, it was hard enough getting here, I think we should wait it out, we have everything we need….I left one portable med kit in the sleeping truck with Alexander and Somphit, it’s a basic kit but hopefully everyone is safe and inside the trucks…we need to get dry, stay warm”

Rex nodded “if the comm system is still working we should be able to reach the command truck at least…that’s where Sophie said she was heading, we’ll get dry and then we’ll see if we can reach Sophie or Ishmael” he peeled his jacket off and dropped it on the floor “hey Doc, do you think you have anything to fit me?”

Isabella frowned “umm… I think there’s a lab coat and a set of scrubs in the back, second level, in the storage area…you go check while I get changed down here”

Rex pulled his t-shirt over his head and dropped it next to his jacket, he started to unbutton his pants then glanced at Isabella…”I should leave these on until I have something to change into shouldn’t I?” Isabella nodded “that would be a good idea…I don’t really need to be seeing that much of you…even if I have seen it all before” she laughed at the expression on his face “when you were dying and I did the whole saving your life thing”

While Rex went to find some dry clothes Isabella changed and hung her wet clothes up in the cab..she glanced at Rexs clothes on the floor and shook her head…”I’m not picking up after you”

Rex found a set of scrubs, the top was too small, but the pants fit, just, he held up the lab coat and chuckled…

“Hey Doc….I didn’t realise how small you are…I think I’m going to need those blankets”

Isabela climbed up the ladder, she looked at Rex and burst out laughing….”yeah…that’s an interesting look…how about I find you the other lab coat, the one that Nemo wears occasionally” she took the coat from him, folded it neatly and put it back in the storage box, she handed him the other one” and I’m not small at all, just smaller than you” she went down the ladder…”Rex, don’t leave your wet pants up there, you need to hang them up so that they can dry”

She heard him mutter “yes Mom” and smiled.

#72 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:12 PM

"Uh, Somphit?" Cassie said, "Isabella and Rex already left, but I'm sure the doctor would suggest we wait until the storm passes before doing any more swimming...especially, uh, naked." Cassie couldn't help but smirk at the memory of earlier in the day. Luckily Alexander hadn't been at all disturbed at the ruckus he'd caused...it really had all been just an accident.

Ishmael had had his hand on the door, ready to follow Sophie when Somphit began her stream of consciousness. He shook his head. "Swimming through even a small storm isn't nearly as much fun as you might think," he said, once Somphit had wound down, or at least stopped to breathe. "Trust me on this."

"I suppose you're both right," Somphit said. She turned to Alexander. "I suppose they're right. We could be swept miles out to sea and not be able to make our way back to land.  Ironically, we'd die of thirst because you can't drink salt water.  That wouldn't happen in a lake.  Also, we'd eventually get eaten by sharks or we'd get too tired to swim and drown. But we might get rescued by dolphins. My grandmother used to tell stories of swimmers in Thailand who swam too far out into the ocean and were saved by dolphins. Some people think dolphins are just as intelligent as people. More intelligent than a lot of people.  I'll bet you have a lot of books about dolphins back in your library.  I wish I could read them. It's probably just as well that we don't go swimming today. I'm exhausted. I've been under a lot of stress lately.  I don't know what's been wrong with me since I left the village.  Everything presses down on me and loud noises scare me.  I'll bet there's a name for that. Maybe you already know what it is because you've probably already read about it.  I'll figure it out later.  I'm really tired all of a sudden.  I'm just going to close my eyes."  Somphit closed her eyes and toppled over onto Alexander's lap, fast asleep.

Alexander took her by the arms and lifted her to a sitting position, propped up in the corner.  "If that's what Isabella calls a mild sedative," he said, "I hope I never need general anesthesia."

#73 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

"Sophie?"

Hearing her name from inside the truck, Sophie crawled barefoot--dressed in clean but simple clothes--over the small bed in the back of the cab. She opened the hatch and stuck her head through, her wet, curly hair hanging limp. The sound of the rain and storm rattled the metal of the truck all around them.

"In here," she said, looking slightly down at Ishmael, who was soaked just as she had been. "But you're not coming in here dripping wet, plus you need to change anyway. We've been drenched for too long now."

Tossing some clothes through the opening between the trailer and cab, Sophie said, "Is everyone okay? I haven't powered up the computers yet to check the storm, although really I have no idea how it would help. I guess I just needed to do something useful...but then I thought about checking with everyone on the comm system first. I'm worried about Myka and Nemo."

#74 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

"Comm checks once an hour. Work out a watch schedule among yourselves. With any luck we'll get through this just fine, and the biggest danger will be boredom, but if anyone does have to leave, always keep one hand on the trucks as you go. It's real easy to get disoriented, even in as small and enclosed a space as we've made out there."

Cassie began rummaging around her quarters for dry clothes, listening absently as Ishmael and Enoch had a quick discussion about damage to the computers from the storm if they were powered up...and even with them powered down....before Ishmael headed off into the storm. Then Enoch appeared in the small entry way behind her.

"Don't worry, Cass, You should be fine as long as you don't plug into anything. Or you do get hit by lightning, although in that case you'll probably have more to worry about. Now, who wants first watch?"

"WHAT?!" she burst out in shock, turning around. The image of the nanocomputer in her brain suddenly being fried...and her head along with it...flashed through her mind. The image was not comforting. "Oh for crying out loud, Enoch," Cassie huffed. "You totally could have kept that second bit of information to yourself, you know." Then she sighed. "But I will definitely remember not to jack into anything in here."

Somphit suddenly seemed to pass out right into Alexander's lap much to Cassie's relief.

"If that's what Isabella calls a mild sedative. I hope I never need general anesthesia."

Cassie laughed. Alexander was a hoot sometimes, she'd give him that.

Focusing back on Enoch and Amet, Cassie said. "I guess I could take first watch, if you want...just let me change clothes first," she said. "Although what exactly I'm supposed to be watching, I don't know. If we blow away with the damn truck my warning won't help us," she commented. "But I'll answer the comm. How many hours should the three of us take?"

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 17 June 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#75 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

After catching the t-shirt and long sleeved shirt that Nemo tossed to her, Myka had slipped into the stall that housed one of the female horses...she didn't trust the animals to not be smarter than they appeared, even their settlement horses, these days. It took awhile to peel her wet clothes off, and she accidentally caught her top on her horns. She battled the attacking garment for a moment before freeing herself from it. After hanging her wet clothes on the side of the stall, she picked up the black t-shirt.

“Are you dressed? Can I come back there?”

"WHAT?! NO! I mean, not yet...give me a minute more!" Myka called back in a panic, holding the t-shirt tightly in front of her.

Then she snickered to herself as Nemo's button down shirt did indeed reach her knees as if it were a dress. Snatching up a piece of broken bridle, she wrapped it around her waist sliding the broken part through the ring and fashioning a belt of sorts. The sleeve cuffs hung way past her hands.

"Okay, Nemo, now you can come back," Myka said, padding out in bare feet across the hay covered floor. "Can you grab some socks before you do, though," she asked wiggling her lavender colored toes. "My feet are cold. Preferably clean ones, please."

Now that she was warm and dry, safe with Nemo and Varg and the animals, and...thanks to Nemo...having snacks to tide them over, the hurricane didn't seem so bad. That was until the trailer shook and rocked for a moment knocking Myka almost off her feet.

#76 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

Sitting cross-legged on the floor, Alexander held up a six-fingered hand in Somphit's general direction. She was propped up in the corner, snoring peacefully, but she had a habit of tumbling forward face first into his lap whenever his attention wandered.

Focusing back on Enoch and Amet, Cassie said. "I guess I could take first watch, if you want...just let me change clothes first," she said. "Although what exactly I'm supposed to be watching, I don't know. If we blow away with the damn truck my warning won't help us," she commented. "But I'll answer the comm. How many hours should the three of us take?"

Alexander raised his hand.  "If somebody will help me get Somphit onto a cot, I'll volunteer for watch," he said.  "I'm wide awake and fully charged.  I seldom need more than a couple of hours sleep, except when I've been attacked by wild animals."

#77 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

"What! Oh for crying out loud, Enoch. You totally could have kept that second bit of information to yourself you know."

Enoch blinked in surprise. "I was- That was- It was just a joke, Cassie," he stammered. "I mean, not the part about not jacking in to anything during a lightning storm, but you knew about that already, I mean I know they told you all of that when you first got it- your computer, I mean- and about the safeties and the cut-out and all of that that's supposed to come on if something turns out to be booby-trapped or something, but the whole actually getting hit by lightning thing was just a joke," he finished miserably.

"If we blow away with the damn truck my warning won't help us... How many hours should the three of us take?"

"If somebody will help me get Somphit onto a cot, I'll volunteer for watch."

"Umm, if you want, Alexander, I can take her feet while you take her shoulders and we can lift her up that way," Enoch suggested. He looked over at Cassie and Amet. "And um, why don't the four of us start off doing two hour long watches each- I mean one watch that's two hours long, not two that are an hour each- and rotating as long as we need to, at least for right now? We can always change something if ah, if one of us starts having trouble, or something. And I think it's more about making sure everyone's still okay and doesn't need to be rescued or anything like that," he added.

#78 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

Amet looked up at Enoch, "I'll watch whenever I'm needed, did Ishmael say how long this could last or did you read something? How long are we going to be stuck in here?"

#79 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

Cassie took a deep breath to calm down. There were too many people around her, but she couldn't let it get to her. She actually liked Amet and Alexander but the close quarters were...well, Cassie was almost tempted to brave the storm outside just go hide under one of the trucks. That visual made her laugh to herself because that would be rather unwise. And of course Enoch was right...she knew she couldn't really blow up her brain with the safety measures put in place...but the lightning idea sort of freaked her out for a minute.

"Argh...you're right, Enoch...sorry about that," Cassie said, putting a hand on the arm of the Librarian she'd known her whole life. "This whole situation...well...," she paused. "I'm not sure why or how I let Vivianne talk me into this whole "go with a large group for weeks on end" expedition," Cassie added, referring to her grandmother and the Director of Department 7 by her first name. "Except that it was strongly suggested that Rex and I come a long to keep an eye on anything that was "discovered"..make sure it made it back to the mountain. Anyway, I really didn't mean to snap at you. So, what's say we get this watch business all settled..."

"I'll watch whenever I'm needed, did Ishmael say how long this could last or did you read something? How long are we going to be stuck in here?"

Cassie told Amet she didn't remember if anything was said but figured it would last the night. She, too, glanced at Enoch to see if he knew any more.

Enoch helped Alexander tuck Somphit into her small cot in her quarters, and everyone stepped back so the sliding door could be halfway closed. A guard rotation of two hour watches between the four of them...with Alexander going first...was set up. Amet would be second, then Enoch, then Cassie last...for which she was grateful because she was in need of some serious "me" time in her small quarters. Each one would be notified or woken up every two hours until the hurricane's danger had passed.

OOC: Okay...a little bit longer with the storm then we'll move on. There's no rush but also there's no reason to drag it on. I'm good either way...we'll see what gets posted and just go from there :).

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 19 June 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#80 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:51 PM

"But you're not coming in here dripping wet, plus you need to change anyway. We've been drenched for too long now."

"Good point," Ishmael answered, catching the clothes Sophie had tossed down to him. "You wouldn't have a dry towel up there, would you?"

"Is everyone okay...I'm worried about Myka and Nemo."

"I wasn't able to stop by the livestock truck and check on them," Ishmael answered as he caught the towel Sophie tossed to him, "so yes, we need to comm them first and make sure they're both all right. Then we need to get in touch with Isabella and Rex over in the medical truck," he continued, quickly stripping out of his wet clothes as he spoke. He explained about the hourly comm checks as he donned a pair of loose pants and a shirt. "John and Abel were headed for the supply truck, I'm not sure if Wynn and Dmitri were as well or if they were going to stay with the others in the sleeping truck."

"With any luck the wind's so fierce because this is a fast-moving storm and we'll be out of it by the morning," Ishmael told Sophie once they'd managed to contact the other trucks and explain the comm checks to everyone else. He looked up as a particularly fierce gust rocked the truck. "Back when I was growing up, back on Jamaica we'd get at least one, and usually two or three, big storms like this a year. The adults would take us all up into the mountains, into the caves, and there we'd sing and play games and whatever else they could think up to keep a bunch of kids occupied while we were cooped up like that."

Ishmael went over to one of the supply cabinets and rummaged around until he found a length of cotton rope. It was too small in diameter to have been useful in lashing the trucks together, but it would work as a clothesline. "I think at this point, we're not going to be able to see anything on the computer but storm," he said as he rigged the clothesline and hung up their wet clothes. "We're too close. Or rather it's too close. And if I understood Enoch correctly, with this much lightning it's better not to have the computers up at all if we can avoid it.

"Unless you want to take the first watch, why don't you try to get some sleep and I'll wake you at eight bells- sorry, in four hours."

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users