• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,490 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:10 AM

:eek3:

Yeah, this one had a lot to absorb, so my apologies if this review is a bit more incoherent than usual.

Jiaying ... yeah, she was one severly damaged individual, and it can be left at the door of Reinhardt/Whitehall.  That she proved to be a vampire (of sorts) was startling; I had figured that she was more akin to Wolverine.  That said, her powers did give her an insite as to how they could be both a blessing and curse ... something that is very Marvel in outlook.  While I appreciated their detailing how her experience shaped her, I can't help but wonder at the timing of her capture viz the kidnapping of her daughter; and I noticed that the writers (through Coulson) were blaming that on "the other guys" as opposed to admitted that maybe, perhaps, SHIELD might've misread the situation.  Yeah, a SHIELD team was dispatched and, IIRC, they discovered Skye in a village that had been wiped out, and they took her and fled, thinking to protect her from the horror that followed.  Was this SHIELD or HYDRA (which were one and the same)?  However, I did like that they redeemed Cal ... for all that they TAHITI'd him :sad: He finally earned his daughter's affection, and she found her father who loved and admired her, and then she had to give him up.

Ward ... I anticipated the end of Kara the moment that the two of them decided to go out to take on the SHIELD team.  I did not see how she would die, but I figured in close quarters combat with them separated, they'd lose track of where each other was and something bad would happen.  That May essentially tricked Kara into her doom will come back to haunt her, as it seems Ward is stepping up to the plate to revive HYDRA.

Bobbi ... I'm not too surprised that she had her justifications, and refused to regret the affects her actions had on Kara.  She had her reasons, and Kara was simply collateral damage.  Of course, it might well be that it was this lack of empathy that continually sabotages her relationship with Hunter, as she doesn't (or refuses to) consider the affect her actions would have on others.

Now, is it me, or does it seem that the villains are rather disposable?  Aside from Ward, that is.  What with Centipede, Garrett, Whitehall, HYDRA, List, Strucker, Gonzales, Jiaying, etc. they seem to drop like flies.  Rayna, OTOH, I felt it was overdue to get rid of her ... and it seemed appropriate, given the unfolding events and Jiaying's agenda.

I am glad that Coulson refused to sign off on an aggressive riposte in light of Jiaying's actions.  Whether it was because he was thinking about Skye, or is generally just that kind of person, it was nice to see someone in a position of authority choosing to show restraint in the face of provocation.  That he and Mack somewhat reconciled was heartening, and I believe that it was because he was down their with Fitz and Mack fighting along side them, and didn't resent Mack's cutting off his hand that Mack finally decided that he could trust him.  

I am also glad that Fitz and Simmons did reconcile, and Fitz had the nerve to ask her out on a date ... and Simmons FINALLY recognized just what Fitz was doing and was receptive to it.  Pity the Kree Monolith decided to act up just then to scupper their plans.

All in all, though, WOW.  What a way to wrap up a season.

And that finish with the dissolving terragen crystals getting into the fish-oil (and I'd argue the fish themselves) you know that's not going to end well.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,712 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:26 AM

Cut to shot of Stan Lee taking a fish oil supplement and going "Oh!"

Really, you'd think SHIELD would've been aware of the risk of those crystals being at the ocean floor and would've interdicted the area until they could dredge the bottom, or something. That was sloppy. Also, it's hard to believe the super-secure, do-not-open-at-any-cost container for the Kree monolith could be accidentally opened just by flipping a single handle.

So the end moments were a bit weak, but everything before was really impressive. There's just too much good stuff to list. But I love it how the "monster" Cal ended up being one of the good guys, just because Coulson's the kind of guy who'd sit down and have a talk with him rather than responding with violence. It's sad, though, that after doing all that for his daughter, he forgot she even existed.

And yay, Coulson's gonna get a cool bionic hand! Just like Luke Skywalker!

As for Jiaying, she came back from a far more conclusive death than this one, so we could maybe see her again someday. Honestly, though, somehow I didn't find Dichen Lachman's acting here anywhere near as impressive as I did in Dollhouse. I wonder why. Maybe this just wasn't the best character for her.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,490 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

My thinking is, our gang is grossly understaffed -- given that a carrier that size normally carries a crew of thousands, and they only mentioned one to two hundred on board -- so they'd have to prioritize where to concentrate their limited resources. This is why Jiaying's gambit was potentially so devasting, it could've crippled SHIELD for the longest time if she could've gotten all of their strike teams on board and exposed to the Terragen Gas.

Then also, does the average crystal naturally dissolve in salt-water?  I'm thinking that given all the other distractions our gang was faced with, they hadn't considered that a possibility, and therefore probably felt they had time to return at their leisure to recover them.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,712 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

View PostG-man, on 13 May 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Then also, does the average crystal naturally dissolve in salt-water?

Err... salt crystals do.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,490 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

So, recognizing that Teragen crystals are make believe, given what we've seen of them, how much alike are Teragen crystals to salt crystals?

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 13 May 2015 - 05:20 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,409 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

Holy Toledo, that was quite a finale indeed.  :o

We certainly did get, pardon the expression, closure on a number of characters, most of whom I'm sorry to see go.  Especially Raina.  She was a good character, played by a very interesting actress, so I'm surprised they killed her off.  It was a shame to see Skye's mom die, too. I won't miss 33 or Gordon much, though.  I was hoping Ward would finally die, but he takes a licking and keeps on ticking. And now he's the boss of HYDRA. Sigh.

Speaking of taking a licking and continuing to tick, I've completely changed my mind about Bobbie's ability to carry her own show.  That was quite a performance, in more ways than one.  Taking the bullet for Hunter like that reminded me of that old poem, "The Highwayman."  I'm sure she and Hunter will both decide to stay with SHIELD.  Mack already has, thank goodness.

We pretty much got closure on Cal, too.  I'll miss him.  He turned out to be quite an amazing character.  And I loved the showdown between him and Coulson.  All Coulson wanted to do was to get him to talk it through, and it worked.  This is what makes Coulson different from Gonzalez and the other so-called leaders.  He'll find a peaceful solution if there's one to be found-- and if there isn't, then your ass is as good as kicked.

And I guess we know now that the GH serum would not have protected him if he had gone to see Jiaying instead of Gonzalez.  That was a quick response on Mack's part, but wow-- what will he do now?  Get a cybernetic hand, like Deathlok?  Or will there be some Inhuman treatment that will give him his hand back?  Or will he just go through the rest of the series one-handed?  Maybe this is meant to symbolically confirm that he is now Fury-- he has been irrevocably scarred.

I knew letting that plane go over the side was not a good idea.  Looks like there will be an explosion of super-powered individuals in the near future.  Unfortunately, a bigger explosion of gray, crumbly dead people.  They've definitely ventured into Wild Cards territory.

Overall, it was a nice climax to everything that's been going on, with a generally hopeful epilogue.  Coulson is back in charge, he and Skye are planning to recruit and train Inhumans, Mack is still on board, and it looks like Fitz and Gemma will finally be getting together.

Except that she got eaten by the Blob.  :unsure:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,712 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostG-man, on 13 May 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

So, recognizing that Teragen crystals are make believe, given what we've seen of them, how much alike are Teragen crystals to salt crystals?

List of water-soluble minerals

The ocean is full of dissolved minerals. So is a lot of fresh water, for that matter -- surely you've heard of mineral springs. So I can't understand why you find this implausible. Water dissolves rock. That's how we get canyons.

Edited by Christopher, 13 May 2015 - 08:13 PM.

Facebook Author Page

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,153 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:14 PM

I could have watch this story-line fold over 1/2 dozen episodes instead of 2. And it seems too neatly resolved, and they had to kill some characters to do so. But what hasn't been resolved, even though Skye is still in SHIELDs corner.... Are they going to still index Inhumans? And/or keep them anonymous? Though obviously Skye will be a special liason to the Inhumans, and will be an advisor to SHIELD, that doesn't mean either side is going to actually act on and integrate her advise.

As bad as Jiaying's actions were her motivations made sense, and her actions in that light flow logically from her experiences. I could have done less with them making her having no problem killing people, including her daughter, seemingly to try to make the audience accept that she must die.... *shrugs* Such moves made it seem like they made/used such character traits to wrap up their story sooner and neater than accept what a messy mess this was and should have laster longer. I still enjoyed the finale, no doubt, but such maneuvering to avoid dealing with some of the messy implications of their story takes away a bit of the enjoyment. There of course will still be Skye, and the Inhumans, but sometimes you need an outside voice opposing you instead of someone who is working for you. The tension/dynamic isn't quite the same.

View PostRJDiogenes, on 13 May 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

We certainly did get, pardon the expression, closure on a number of characters, most of whom I'm sorry to see go.  Especially Raina.  She was a good character, played by a very interesting actress, so I'm surprised they killed her off.  It was a shame to see Skye's mom die, too. I won't miss 33 or Gordon much, though.  I was hoping Ward would finally die, but he takes a licking and keeps on ticking. And now he's the boss of HYDRA. Sigh.

*double sigh* What is it that he wants? He said "closure". Does that mean he blames SHIELD for 33's death and is going to take revenge on them (while doing side-mission-stuff to build up his own personal HYDRAW?)? And he just showed me this episode that he was willing to kill May. Granted, if he knew May was there, he knew he would have to get the drop on her, there isn't a scenario where the two of them meet anytime in the near future where she isn't a threat to him. But the drop doesn't have to be lethal, depending on the tools at hand. I was almost wondering, if may have tried to prevent May reaching the booby-trapped drop first, if built towards that. But no, he is still an unredeemed *a$$h*le not even started on the path to redemption ;) Infact, if he had made any progress at all (which is hardly debatable: no), he seems to be backsliding. Though they obviously are trying to play up the "he misses his team" since he is trying to build a new team and referenced wanted to be part of a team again. Blah blah blah.

And I guess we know now that the GH serum would not have protected him if he had gone to see Jiaying instead of Gonzalez.  That was a quick response on Mack's part, but wow-- what will he do now?  Get a cybernetic hand, like Deathlok?  Or will there be some Inhuman treatment that will give him his hand back?  Or will he just go through the rest of the series one-handed?  Maybe this is meant to symbolically confirm that he is now Fury-- he has been irrevocably scarred.

Is that for sure? Skye and Raina both ended up grey statues at first and came through ok, albeit Inhuman.

I knew letting that plane go over the side was not a good idea.  Looks like there will be an explosion of super-powered individuals in the near future.  Unfortunately, a bigger explosion of gray, crumbly dead people.  They've definitely ventured into Wild Cards territory.

I am hoping that somehow the process of weathering in salt-water will make it harmless to regular humans, if not through some neutralizing process, then through dilution at least (1 part per million safe or something? ;) ).... Because once that is out in the world how do you actually combat it? Once it is in the water cycle besides ending up in seafood (and seafood derived supplements), it will likely end up in the atmosphere and end up rained on land, there is no telling where it will pop up.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#9 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

View PostChristopher, on 13 May 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

The ocean is full of dissolved minerals. So is a lot of fresh water, for that matter -- surely you've heard of mineral springs. So I can't understand why you find this implausible. Water dissolves rock. That's how we get canyons.

I have more substantitive points to comment on, but I think we can say that Marvel can safely claim whatever water solubility they wish for reprocessed vs original Terragen crystals. Silicon monoxide (the most common silicon compound in space) and silicon dioxide (the most common silicon compound in the [micro]biologically generated oxygen-rich Earth surface environment*) form crystals that are insoluble to water, but the next most common form (silicates or -SO4) can be quite soluble OR insoluble in water.

In ordinary human experience: silicon dioxide is quartz or glass, while sodium silicate was "waterglass", a kitchen staple in the early/mid 20th century: e.g. eggs stored in a solution of waterglass could remain edible for weeks at room temperature before refrigeration became almost universally available. The solubility of silicates really depends on what (cat)ions are around. The Earth fresh/salt water can only hold trace amounts of silicate, but Terragen may form soluble salts with ions in fresh/salt water. NOTE: Some ions common in Earth surface water form soluble salts with carbonate but not silicate. so canyons are formed by dissolving carbonates while eroding (but NOT dissolving) silicates.

* Aliens with 20th century technology would be able to tell our planet was clearly aberrant from hundreds of light years away:  we have MUCH more oxygen in our atmosphere than would be stable for our crust for even a few million years (i.e. if a gamma burster wiped out on all life on Earth, our atmospheric oxygen level would plummet in a few million years, and planetary chemistry should be stable for hundreds of millions, if not billions of year) Whether they would recognize this as a sign of life would depend on what kinds of biochemistry they've seen: free oxygen is corrosive/toxic to much Earth life today, and almost all Earth organisms before the runaway pollution of the Earth ancient biologically-created runaway "oxygen crisis". Some life (esp. larger forms) learned to use and ultimately rely on this poison, but to this day, our medical industries and human immune systems use forms of pure oxygen (e.g. peroxides) as a primary defense again micro-organisms. Aliens might reasonably consider it almost as corrosive as pure fluorine

#10 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,490 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostChristopher, on 13 May 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

So, recognizing that Terrigen crystals are make believe, given what we've seen of them, how much alike are Terrigen crystals to salt crystals?

Who said I found it implausible?  In my mind, the word crystal normally associates with gems, consequently to see crystals dissolve saltwater starts me asking questions.  And since water soluble crystals (outside of salt) falls outside my experience, I was asking just how consistent the depicted properties of Terrigen Crystals were to those of water soluble crystals.

Is it so wrong to ask such questions when one recognizes that they are ignorant of such matters?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 14 May 2015 - 08:48 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,712 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:28 AM

The whole point of Terrigen crystals, though, is that they dissolve into inhalable Terrigen mists. We saw what happened when Jiaying tossed one to the floor -- it broke and dissolved into mist. That's what they were specifically made to do -- dissolve.

Facebook Author Page

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,490 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

Right.  However, they hadn't gone into detail on how the crystals turned into Terrigen mists, and I assumed that it might've involved acid or some chemical other than water to act as a catalyzer.

Then we see that the shattering of one caused Gonzales to petrify.  Jiaying had stated that the Terrigen mists alone had been harmless to humans while they transformed Inhumans, but when the crystals were created from the Diviners, the Diviner impurities were retained so as to eliminate any human witnesses to an Inhuman's transformation.  Thus the implication being that it was diviner particles that had been released that had caused Gonzales to petrify, with the mist simply dissapating around him.

Then we see Coulson's hand petrifying when he grasped an unbroken Terrigen Crystal.  So, really, I wasn't really seeing anything consistently presented about the particular properties of Terrigen crystals to suggest that they would readily dissolve in water.

Which, then leads to my next question, if the Diviner particles causes flesh to petrify on contact, why were the fish left unaffected, with the particles simply absorbed into their oils?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 14 May 2015 - 08:59 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,712 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

The crystal part was meant to dissolve into mist, but the metal impurities were part of it as well, and that's what killed Gonzales. It was Coulson's direct contact with the metal, even in the unbroken crystal, that endangered him. My impression is that in this case, the water is dissolving the crystals but leaving the metal behind. So the fish oil will probably induce powers in some people but not be widely toxic.

Facebook Author Page

#14 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,490 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

Ahhh ... OK, that makes sense.

So, what do y'all think has happened to Simmons?  Is she Trapped, Transported, or Transmogrified by the Kree Stone?

And speaking of the Kree Stone, was its transformation simply periodical or did it require the presence of an Inhuman (actual, or potential)?  It looked to me that it shifted only when true humans were nowhere around.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#15 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,677 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

I really enjoyed the finale, and the whole season.

It looks like next season will deal with finding and dealing with people randomly getting abilities from those dissolved crystals.

I wonder who else will end up Skye's team...

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,409 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 13 May 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

View PostRJDiogenes, on 13 May 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

*double sigh* What is it that he wants? He said "closure". Does that mean he blames SHIELD for 33's death and is going to take revenge on them (while doing side-mission-stuff to build up his own personal HYDRAW?)?
The problem with Ward is that he was created solely to be a gimmick-- the guy who we are shocked to find out was always an evil mole. After that, they had no idea what to do with him.  He's like Sylar on Heroes-- once he served his purpose, it's just awkward to keep him alive.

Is that for sure? Skye and Raina both ended up grey statues at first and came through ok, albeit Inhuman.  
Well, that's a good point.  We think Mack saved him, but maybe he just terminated the transformation.

View PostG-man, on 14 May 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

So, what do y'all think has happened to Simmons?  Is she Trapped, Transported, or Transmogrified by the Kree Stone?  
My first thought was that it's a piece of the Supreme Intelligence and she's been absorbed into the collective mind.  Have any of the movies, like GOTG, mentioned anything about the Supreme Intelligence yet?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#17 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

When Skye and Raina transformed, the stone shell formed over their clothes. We pretty clearly saw Coulson's skin turning to stone under his watch, confirming that he's still human.

And I got the impression that the monolith's liquifaction was a regular thing, regardless of who was around it. We saw it go sploosh at one point while surrounded by SHIELD guards, and none of them seemed to react as a warning that hostiles were around. We've also seen it remain solid in the presence of confirmed Inhumans.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#18 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,490 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

^^^ OK.  With regards to the petrification versus being cocooned in a monolith, that was my impression as well.  What happened to Skye and Rayna did not appear to be the same as what happened with Izzy, Trip, Gonzales, and Coulson.  Therefore, yeah, Coulson is human, for all that had been done to him.

As for the Kree Monolith ... I confess, I wasn't certain.  So, if it was a regular tranformation that the monolith periodically goes through, what's the point?  Is it solely to snatch beautiful and brilliant young scientists who are on the verge of romance; or is it something more sinister?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#19 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,712 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

View PostG-man, on 15 May 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Therefore, yeah, Coulson is human, for all that had been done to him.

Yup. Inhumans aren't Kree, they're humans who were genetically engineered by the Kree. They were a product of the Kree's science, not their body chemistry. So injecting someone with Kree blood wouldn't turn them into an Inhuman any more than injecting someone with Abraham Erskine's blood would turn them into Captain America.

Facebook Author Page

#20 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,409 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 15 May 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

When Skye and Raina transformed, the stone shell formed over their clothes. We pretty clearly saw Coulson's skin turning to stone under his watch, confirming that he's still human.  
Well, my original thought was that it may have protected him from the crystal, since the Kree are likely to be immune, but I'm open to the idea that it may have made him "eligible" for transformation of some kind. Despite what Gonzales and some of the others may think, Inhumans are still humans.

View PostG-man, on 15 May 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Is it solely to snatch beautiful and brilliant young scientists who are on the verge of romance; or is it something more sinister?  
What could be more sinister than that?  :unsure:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users