Supergirl Superman DC

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bishop37

bishop37
  • Islander
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

"In a distant galaxy, twelve planets bearing tribes of the race known as Man have been at war with an alien cyborg race, the Cylon Empire, for a millennium. In the measurements used by the Twelve Colonies it is the Yahren 7341, and a treaty of peace is to be signed - a treaty that proves to be a ruse for the largest assault in the history of galactic warfare. With their defending warships destroyed and their homeworld annihilated, the Twelve Tribes gather to their one remaining warship, a battlestar named the Galactica, boarding every assorted star vehicle that will carry them, as their leader, Commander Adama, seeks out the one planet that will protect Man from the predation of the Cylon Empire - a planet called Earth. As their journey proceeds this fugitive fleet is closely pursued by forces of the Cylon Empire under the command of human traitor Baltar."

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

I am so freaking out right now. I loved that trailer. So much Super goodness. The plane rescue was amazing. It gave me chills. I also liked how she went through various looks before settling on her current one. Surprised that she told Winslow her secret but it works. I was a little upset that Jimmy wasn't going to be his usual nerdy self but it seems like Winslow feels that spot so I'm happy. I don't know if I can wait until fall to see this.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

Hmm. Maybe.

It's not too self-conscious.  I like the conversation about "Supergirl" versus "Superwoman."  Still feels like a TV version of a superhero, though.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

It's a tie!  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

I hate the pop song at the end- I like the trailer otherwise.  Too bad CBS has scheduled it against Gotham

#6 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

So it will be DC vs. DC.

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 May 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

I am so freaking out right now. I loved that trailer. So much Super goodness. The plane rescue was amazing. It gave me chills.

I can't believe they basically spoiled the entire pilot -- and showed us maybe about 1/7 of the whole thing -- in the preview. But I'm sold. It looks like fun.

I also liked how she went through various looks before settling on her current one.

A nice wink at all the looks Supergirl has gone through in the comics over the years (it's kind of her thing). That first one was a lot like the really skimpy one she had when Michael Turner was the artist (and I hated his art style, since he gave her such creepy eyes).

Surprised that she told Winslow her secret but it works.

Berlanti and Guggenheim don't seem to have much use for secret identities.

I was a little upset that Jimmy wasn't going to be his usual nerdy self but it seems like Winslow feels that spot so I'm happy.

It's mainly onscreen that Jimmy's been nerdy. The original character created on radio was a typical, if excessively clean-cut, teenager by the standards of the day, the kind of kid that young viewers would theoretically identify with and aspire to be. He comes off as corny to modern listeners, but that's because cultural attitudes have changed. And Jimmy in the comics was much the same, a figure of audience identification who had lots of wild adventures.

Even so, I was surprised at how tall and deep-voiced and hunky this version of Jimmy is.

View Postultraviolet, on 13 May 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

I hate the pop song at the end- I like the trailer otherwise.

I heard that song somewhere else just recently, and I've been trying to figure out where. It doesn't seem to have been used in any movie I've seen lately. It may have been playing at the shop where I got my hair cut last month.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#8 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

The song is called "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#9 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

Merged topics, and took a look at the trailer.

Ummm, well ... yeah.  I don't know.

Some of it I like, but a lot of it left me cold.

The idea that she felt it necessary to ask permission to do stuff ... really?  I'm not loving the DEO angle.

Then, also the obligatory, almost compulsive, must share the secret with someone (who is not your sister) trope, on top of the debates about costumes, name choices (I disagree with "girl" argument), relationships, etc.  She comes across as an ingenue, well meaning but indecisive -- which, for me, detracts from her character (but then I never did respond well to ingenues).  Admittedly, I recognize this is how TV writes its women, but still ... I had hoped for better.

I'll give it a try, but I suspect that like Arrow and The Flash I won't be sticking with it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#10 bishop37

bishop37
  • Islander
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

"In a distant galaxy, twelve planets bearing tribes of the race known as Man have been at war with an alien cyborg race, the Cylon Empire, for a millennium. In the measurements used by the Twelve Colonies it is the Yahren 7341, and a treaty of peace is to be signed - a treaty that proves to be a ruse for the largest assault in the history of galactic warfare. With their defending warships destroyed and their homeworld annihilated, the Twelve Tribes gather to their one remaining warship, a battlestar named the Galactica, boarding every assorted star vehicle that will carry them, as their leader, Commander Adama, seeks out the one planet that will protect Man from the predation of the Cylon Empire - a planet called Earth. As their journey proceeds this fugitive fleet is closely pursued by forces of the Cylon Empire under the command of human traitor Baltar."

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

^^  Too late, it's been blocked.  :(

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:24 AM

I liked the trailer. Not sure about the actor playing Jimmy Olsen though. He seems a little old for that part, but that's just my opinion.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#13 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:52 PM

Then, also the obligatory, almost compulsive, must share the secret with someone (who is not your sister) trope, on top of the debates about costumes, name choices (I disagree with "girl" argument), relationships, etc.  She comes across as an ingenue, well meaning but indecisive -- which, for me, detracts from her character (but then I never did respond well to ingenues).  Admittedly, I recognize this is how TV writes its women, but still ... I had hoped for better.

I don't mind that she lets Winslow in on the secret. I think these shows are usually better when at least some of the main cast are in on the secret. While I like the early years of Smallville, the show really kicked it up a notch once Chloe became privy to Clark's secret and could help him. Plus it looks like Jimmy all ready knew the secret about Kara so she really only told one person.

I guess I just don't see Kara the same way you did. Yes, she's indecisive but I think that's more because she's been hiding who she is the entire time on Earth while her cousin Clark puts all his powers on display and is a beloved hero. Once she puts on the costume and becomes Supergirl she seems much more decisive and in control. I think that will be her arc. Embracing her powers and her ability to help people will make her a better person all around.

So it will be DC vs. DC.

I've given up on Gotham so that's an easy decision for me.

I think what I really like about this trailer, and hopefully the tone of the series, is that it's bright and happy and hopeful. I have nothing against dark shows or movies or heroes, but there's nothing wrong with variety. Not every hero is supposed to be dark and serious so I love that Supergirl seems to be going for a lighter tone like The Flash.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 15 May 2015 - 11:52 PM, said:

I don't mind that she lets Winslow in on the secret. I think these shows are usually better when at least some of the main cast are in on the secret. While I like the early years of Smallville, the show really kicked it up a notch once Chloe became privy to Clark's secret and could help him. Plus it looks like Jimmy all ready knew the secret about Kara so she really only told one person.

She told a lot more than one person. When Supergirl and her sister (who works at the top-secret DEO) were offering her assistance to the DEO head played by David Harewood, he told her to go back to getting coffee, so he presumably knows her civilian identity/job. And in the second trailer, there's a bit where the sister (Alex?) calls Supergirl "Kara" over the comms from the DEO HQ, with like a dozen other people in the room. So it may be that Winslow Schott and James Olsen are the only civilians who know her identity (I hope), but there are a lot of federal personnel who evidently do.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#15 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

Just watched the trailer and it was awesome!  I also liked the lighter tone, but that's me.  Arrow has been too much on the dark side for me this season.  

I haven't read any of the comics for decades but you guys seem to know the name Winslow Schott.  Is he someone in the comics?  And where have I seen the actor before?
Cats will never be extinct!

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostThemis, on 22 May 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

I haven't read any of the comics for decades but you guys seem to know the name Winslow Schott.  Is he someone in the comics?  And where have I seen the actor before?

Winslow Schott is the Superman villain the Toyman, basically an inventor who commits toy-themed crimes. Clearly he's been reinterpreted for the show. (He appeared as a recurring foe in Smallville played by Christopher Gauthier, and in a rather creepy doll-faced version in Superman: The Animated Series, played by Bud Cort. Oddly, there were two different versions of him in Lois and Clark, the first played by Sherman Hemsley, the second by Grant Shaud.)

As for where you might have seen Jeremy Jordan before, here's his filmography. The only other series he's been in as a regular is something called Smash.

Edited by Christopher, 22 May 2015 - 01:21 PM.

Facebook Author Page

#17 bishop37

bishop37
  • Islander
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, Superman, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users