Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Dark Matter trailer, coming to SYFY on June 12!

Dark Matter

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:09 AM

So I found this on Wil Wheaton's blog.  Intriguing!  :D

The basic premise of the show is: some people wake up from stasis on a space ship, and they have no memories of who they are or why they are there. As they uncover the truth about themselves … it gets complicated (and they have lots of secrets). It’s based on a comic book that I absolutely loved, and though I can’t get into specifics about the character I’m playing (SPOILERS!) … but the creator can!

Here's the trailer:

Looks like a cool cast, as well!  :cool:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:31 AM

I like that SyFy is getting back to its roots.

I miss having a space based series on the air...

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:32 AM

^ Totally!  :D

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 29 May 2015 - 02:32 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:23 AM

Oh, and Jodelle Ferland is all grown up!  :cool:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

Well, it looks better than Killjoys.  And it's from the producers of Stargate. But I'm really tired of starships that look like the basement of a factory that was abandoned in the 1940s.  Why would anyone build a ship like that?  And how come a society that can build an interstellar spacecraft can't manage a 75-watt light bulb?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

Well, it's on a spaceship and it looks like fun.  I'm not going to be picky beyond that.  ;)

And after the brightly lit disaster that was Ascension, I'll take it.  :oh:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

Ascension looked great, though.  It was the story that was a disaster.  I'm happy to see space-based shows again, but I'd rather see them designed by somebody with a sense of aesthetics.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

^ Actually, that was exactly my point about Ascension.  If I have to choose between good visuals and a good story, I would choose a good story every time.  Of course we want it all, but with so few space shows, I'll take anything good.

Also, I'm personally fine with space-grunge.  :lol:  At least it's interesting looking.  ;)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 30 May 2015 - 11:26 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

Ugh, I hate space grunge. I was sick of the 80s by about 1982.  After 35 years, it's really getting on my last nerve.  :lol:

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

^ Ah, I think you just narrowed down why I like it and you don't.  :hehe:  The 80s was my very first decade, so many of the first things I ever saw were made then.  :)   So I get nostalgic when things have that kind of feel.  ;)

But I can certainly understand how the persistence of something that you never liked to begin with would be ... trying.  :oh:

SFG  :harper:

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:08 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 30 May 2015 - 05:47 PM, said:

^ Ah, I think you just narrowed down why I like it and you don't.  :hehe:  The 80s was my very first decade, so many of the first things I ever saw were made then.  :)   So I get nostalgic when things have that kind of feel.  ;)  
Ouch.  :cry:  :lol:

But I can certainly understand how the persistence of something that you never liked to begin with would be ... trying.  :oh:  
Indeed. After growing up in the 60s and 70s, the dark-and-gritty 80s were something of an Apocalypse.  And then it just kept going and getting worse.  Sigh. Someday.

Well, if you like the 80s, you might get a kick out of this (and speaking of kicks, it was a successful Kickstarter):

:lol:

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:46 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 29 May 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

Well, it looks better than Killjoys.  And it's from the producers of Stargate. But I'm really tired of starships that look like the basement of a factory that was abandoned in the 1940s.  Why would anyone build a ship like that?  And how come a society that can build an interstellar spacecraft can't manage a 75-watt light bulb?

If the ship was for a nocturnal or subterranean alien species maybe? ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

Well, yeah, that would make sense.  :lol:  But the thing is, it's been mostly the norm for all ships, including Human ships, for the past 35 years.

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:26 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 03 June 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

View PostRJDiogenes, on 29 May 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

If the ship was for a nocturnal or subterranean alien species maybe? ;)
LOL Sierra! :lol: ;)

View PostRJDiogenes, on 31 May 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 30 May 2015 - 05:47 PM, said:

Indeed. After growing up in the 60s and 70s, the dark-and-gritty 80s were something of an Apocalypse.  And then it just kept going and getting worse.  Sigh. Someday.

Well, if you like the 80s, you might get a kick out of this (and speaking of kicks, it was a successful Kickstarter):

:lol:

^ OK, that is hilarious!  :laughtears:  :spew:  I only watched the first 6 minutes so far, I'll watch the rest when I have a little bit more time.  ;)

But I laughed so hard at the "tracking" bits!  (And to think, no one currently under 20 can really understand why that's funny.  :oh: :hehe: )

Ouch.  :cry:  :lol:

I am very aware however, that an awful lot of crap came out of the 80s.  ;)  Nostalgia, especially from childhood, inherently implies forgetting a lot of bad stuff and just remembering what I liked.  And I'm sure also being way more forgiving as a kid of things that would probably annoy the heck out of me now.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

But a lot of great stuff did come out of the 80s, and it wasn't all grunge.   Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, the original Star Wars trilogy.  Short Circuit was a particular childhood favorite of mine.  The 80s even gave us TNG, which is probably still my all time favorite Star Trek. :cool:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 03 June 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

Well, yeah, that would make sense.  :lol:  But the thing is, it's been mostly the norm for all ships, including Human ships, for the past 35 years.

I think it is suppose to reflect the mood or atmosphere they desire for the type of the story they are going for. Which, sadly for you as you pointed out, has meant this grungy trend, since there has been a number of less hopeful shows for a while.

It has been a while since there have been shows of note that were set largely on space ships...

Take Ascension for example, there was a lot of hope and future aspirations built into that project. Reality a bit different ;) But you can see why it would be mostly open and airy and well lit, unless there was some reason for it not to be, functionally speaking.

But more hopeful stories are coming out in genre I think. Say the shows Arrow and Flash were set on different space ships/space stations. Arrow would be all grungy, like the ship on this Dark Matter trailer, whereas Flash would be more like Ascension in appearance.

It sounds like the ship on this Dark Matter may be a bit of a prison of sorts. Though I don't know what practical reasons could one would want a prison that has hidden nooks, heavily textured walls, or bad lighting... :D
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,408 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:54 AM

Even spaceships can be built by the lowest bidder. And a ship on a long journey might need to conserve its power. Maybe the occupants are supposed to be in cryosleep anyway.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#17 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,261 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

Well, lowest bid that is technically acceptable ;)  The question is, even if a ship is mostly on standby to conserve power when occupants are in cryo-sleep (Alien anyone?), why aren't the lights coming on when the people wake up and are being active in sections of the ship?  

Generally, the "grunge" look started in the 1970's with Star Wars, and Alien -- which inspired many imitators -- in presenting the "blue-collar" side of space travel with the attendant wear and tear on the ships and the image of a large, mostly vacant ship with lots and lots of dimly lit corridors.  It lent itself to being atmospheric and creepy ... in marked contrast to the impersonal, clean, streamlined looks postulated in other productions (including but not limited to Star Trek,  2001, Space Academy/Jason of Star Command, UFO, Space: 1999, Buck Rogers); but what they tend to forget is that even the Nostromo had sections that were not dark and grimy, but rather were clean and well-lit when people were awake.  Not everything was industrial and clunky.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:30 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 03 June 2015 - 09:48 PM, said:

It sounds like the ship on this Dark Matter may be a bit of a prison of sorts. Though I don't know what practical reasons could one would want a prison that has hidden nooks, heavily textured walls, or bad lighting... :D

And sparks randomly flying around.  :lol:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:41 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 03 June 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

^ OK, that is hilarious!  :laughtears:  :spew:  I only watched the first 6 minutes so far, I'll watch the rest when I have a little bit more time.  ;)

But I laughed so hard at the "tracking" bits!  (And to think, no one currently under 20 can really understand why that's funny.  :oh: :hehe: )  
Isn't that great?  Definitely a keeper.  :D

I am very aware however, that an awful lot of crap came out of the 80s.  ;)  Nostalgia, especially from childhood, inherently implies forgetting a lot of bad stuff and just remembering what I liked.  And I'm sure also being way more forgiving as a kid of things that would probably annoy the heck out of me now.  :rolleyes:  :lol:  
Oh, yeah, nostalgia is a powerful tool.  There's plenty of crap from when I was a kid that I love just because it was there when I was a kid. It was great being a kid. Well, it was actually terrible-- we were dirt poor and lived in a bad neighborhood, and my family gave me nothing but grief-- but somehow I managed to be happy.  :lol:

But a lot of great stuff did come out of the 80s, and it wasn't all grunge.   Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, the original Star Wars trilogy.  Short Circuit was a particular childhood favorite of mine.  The 80s even gave us TNG, which is probably still my all time favorite Star Trek. :cool:  
Very true. I have fond memories of the early 80s. I was fresh out of school and getting around in the world for the first time.  Indiana Jones is one of my all-time favorite characters, and I love the Back to the Future trilogy.. And there was the New Wave music. And, of course, the Star Trek movies and the unbelievable return of Trek to TV.  :nod:

View Postsierraleone, on 03 June 2015 - 09:48 PM, said:

Take Ascension for example, there was a lot of hope and future aspirations built into that project. Reality a bit different ;) But you can see why it would be mostly open and airy and well lit, unless there was some reason for it not to be, functionally speaking.  
That was so disappointing. Visually, the show was great.  They really blew it with that one.

But more hopeful stories are coming out in genre I think. Say the shows Arrow and Flash were set on different space ships/space stations. Arrow would be all grungy, like the ship on this Dark Matter trailer, whereas Flash would be more like Ascension in appearance.  
I've some good things about Flash.  I should probably give it a try.

View PostG-man, on 04 June 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

Generally, the "grunge" look started in the 1970's with Star Wars,  
Star Wars has a lot to answer for.  :lol:

#20 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:44 PM

I watched the pilot of Dark Matter last week.  It is very interesting with a couple of great scenes I love and a cliffhanger twist that I hope they resolve (to my satisfaction) what our characters will do in episode 2.  Two of my three favorite characters of the show are in the first scene and they refer each other by numbers (in the order they woke from cyrosleep) since they don't remember their names or memories (but their skills are still intact)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users