Ireland gay rights gay marriage

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

http://www.nbcnews.c...turnout-n363666

DUBLIN — Ireland became the first country in the world to vote in favor of legalizing gay marriage Saturday after a resounding victory for "Yes" campaigners.

At final count, 62 percent voted in favor of legalizing gay marriage in the country, while 38 percent voted against it. Nearly 2 million people voted, with more than 1.2 million voting "yes" and 734,300 voting "no."

Surprised no one has posted about this yet. This is great news for the gay men and women in Ireland. It's awesome that so many people voted to legalize gay marriage and that the opposition to it were gracious in defeat. If only it could work like that here in the States.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 29 May 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

http://www.nbcnews.c...turnout-n363666

DUBLIN — Ireland became the first country in the world to vote in favor of legalizing gay marriage Saturday after a resounding victory for "Yes" campaigners.

At final count, 62 percent voted in favor of legalizing gay marriage in the country, while 38 percent voted against it. Nearly 2 million people voted, with more than 1.2 million voting "yes" and 734,300 voting "no."

Surprised no one has posted about this yet. This is great news for the gay men and women in Ireland. It's awesome that so many people voted to legalize gay marriage and that the opposition to it were gracious in defeat. If only it could work like that here in the States.

I read about this the other day, and felt very happy, and proud of Ireland.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 29 May 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

If only it could work like that here in the States.

I regret that I only have one kudo to give to this. "Gracious in defeat" wouldn't that be nice?
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#3 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,360 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:28 AM

Well, not everyone was gracious in defeat.  Typically, the Vatican had to cry about it.  Don't have any links, but do remember reading somewhere that they were calling it a 'defeat for humanity.'  I'd call it a victory instead.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

I'm thrilled that it's Ireland that legalized it first, considering how the Vatican has had Ireland in its grip for centuries. Any prince of the church who can dare say that humanity's progress is humanity's defeat needs to get over himself.

Here's one of the links:
Vatican says Ireland gay marriage vote is 'defeat for humanity'

http://www.theguardi...at-for-humanity

A senior Vatican official has attacked the legalisation of gay marriage in Ireland. The referendum that overwhelmingly backed marriage equality last weekend was a “defeat for humanity”, he claimed.
“I was deeply saddened by the result,” Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican’s secretary of state, said at a conference in Rome on Tuesday night. “The church must take account of this reality, but in the sense that it must strengthen its commitment to evangelisation. I think that you cannot just talk of a defeat for Christian principles, but of a defeat for humanity.”
The remarks by the Vatican’s top diplomat, who is seen as second only to the pope in the church’s hierarchy, represent the most damning assessment of the Irish vote by a senior church official to date.
It was a far more critical response than the circumspect reaction offered by archbishop Diarmuid Martin of Dublin, who said: “It is very clear that if this referendum is an affirmation of the views of young people … [then the church needs] a reality check.”
Ireland became the first country to legalise gay marriage by popular vote after a referendum found that 62% of voters were in favour of changing the constitution to allow gay and lesbian couples to marry.
While the results were celebrated by advocates of gay rights in Ireland and around the world, it was also seen as a stark symbol of how wide the chasm has grown between young people in what has traditionally been a staunchly Catholic country and the church itself, which says that homosexual acts are a sin and vehemently opposes gay marriage.
Parolin’s comments are sure to revive the debate about the church’s attitude to gay rights and equality under the papacy of Pope Francis, who once famously said “who am I to judge?” when asked about the existence of a “gay lobby” within the Vatican. That remark spurred hope among progressive Catholics that the church was entering a new era of tolerance and acceptance of homosexuality.

Advertisement
For some, that hope has been dashed by an ongoing controversy involving a French diplomat and practising Catholic named Laurent Stefanini, who is gay. The Vatican has refused to accept Stefanini’s nomination as France’s ambassador to the Holy See because of his sexual orientation, according to media reports in France and Italy....

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

So . . . Henry Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzhenry after all. :)
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#6 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:07 AM

Nonny, same sex marriage is legal in England and Wales, and Scotland but that was passed by the Westminster Parliament and the Scottish Assembly, not a plebicite. Ulster, naturally, is the holdout.
Eire is the first by referendum, so that underline need extending to make that point, otherwise it looks a tad misleading, as if no other country anywhere has same sex marriage on the statue books.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

View PostChakoteya, on 01 June 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

Nonny, same sex marriage is legal in England and Wales, and Scotland but that was passed by the Westminster Parliament and the Scottish Assembly, not a plebicite. Ulster, naturally, is the holdout.
Eire is the first by referendum, so that underline need extending to make that point, otherwise it looks a tad misleading, as if no other country anywhere has same sex marriage on the statue books.
Thanks! Good to know that just because my country's lagging doesn't mean other countries aren't getting this done.   :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

Céad míle fáilte.  :waves:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

There is growing concern in Government that same-sex marriages could be delayed until next year.

The outcome of the referendum on May 22nd is the subject of a legal challenge, and senior Government sources are admitting the legislation could be delayed for months.

One senior official said: “Our hands are tied. We are at the mercy of the courts.

Well that sucks. It's got to be devastating for all the men and women who want to get married and were expecting to after the vote but now can't while the referendum is stuck in legal hell. I hope it gets resolved soon.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

There are elements in the US that are trying to dodge the Supreme Court decision, too.  That also happened back in 67.  It won't work. Now that all 50 states have it, critical mass has been reached. The only thing that will happen now is that it will keep spreading in other countries.  Australia will be next.

Not the Middle East or third-world countries, of course. That will take a couple more decades, if not longer.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#11 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

Never count the Middle East out in terms of sudden progressive moves. If the Middle East has taught us anything over the centuries, it's to expect the unexpected, especially when you least expect it.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

Well, that's true. We've already seen some signs that a "60s" Generation is coming of age over there. But given the deepness of the fundamentalism and the level of violence, I can't help but be pessimistic. There was a brief fliration with liberation in China a few years ago and that was beaten down for the time being, and their culture is no less deeply entrenched. For that matter, look at all the backsliding in America in the last half century.  I know it will happen for everyone eventually, but I'm trying to learn to think in the longer term.  What Arthur C Clarke said about technology is just as true about social progress, I think:  Short-term predictions are usually overly optimistic and long-term predictions are usually overly pessimistic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ireland, gay rights, gay marriage

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users