Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:55 PM

Spoilers

~

~

The crew come to terms with revelations about their respective pasts; at the same time, they face the dilemma of helping the miners against insurmountable odds or abandoning them to certain death.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

I'll be there.  I'm going to give this a few weeks to shape up, even though the first episode didn't excite me.

Reading some of the comments about the first episodes, I suspect I fell asleep through part of it.  :unsure:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

I thought this was a great episode. The stuff from the first episode that annoyed me didn't bother me here. Three wasn't anywhere near as annoying as he was in the first episode. He actually made me chuckle with his lines about naming his guns. Even the android showed more personality here. I hope she gets a name soon.

The reveal that they used to be hardcore mercenaries didn't affect the team as much as I thought it would. One was the most upset it seemed and the most affected since he was gung-ho about helping the miners as a way to make up for what he's done. Four summed it up best when he said that they can't remember who they used to be and aren't those people anymore so why dwell on it?

The show wanted to have its cake and eat it too when it came to torture. Four and the solider acknowledged that torture didn't work and wouldn't ensure reliable information, but it was still the threat of torture that caused the soldier to reveal that the corporation was going to attack the reactor.

The "romance" between One and the miner woman was completely unnecessary. It really wasn't built up at all and just felt forced especially since these two episodes have started laying the groundwork for a One/Two romance.

So Five didn't erase everyone's memories but she knows it was someone on the crew and they did it because the mercs are dangerous. I wonder who it was and what caused them to do it. How long have this team been together?

The fight at the end was really well executed. One, Three, Four, and Six all got to show off their skills and Four got to show that apparently you can bring a gun to a knife fight.

Six offering to take down the company ship to save the others and the miners was a nice moment. All the goodbyes were nice too considering these people really don't know each other. The same with One, Three, and Four all deciding to go out in a blaze of glory at then.

Two was extremely smart to bring a rival corporation in to stop the Ferrous Corporation from killing the miners.

Why did Five crawl through the vents when the Ferrous Corp. rep came on board? It's a large ship and she didn't seem to be anywhere near the docking area. It just felt random.

I didn't expect to find myself liking this show as much as I have but it's turned out quite good.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:53 PM

I agree that this episode was far better than the pilot. The only thing bothering me is how, stripped of their memories, it doesn't take long for the Six Musketeers to start being willing to sacrifice themselves for each other, help out the miners, etc. I'm aware that the exigencies of their particular circumstances may have pushed them into becoming brutal mercenaries, but I believe there would be underlying personality traits of selfishness and violent impulses that a mere memory wipe wouldn't eliminate.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:07 PM

Unless their environment was at odds with their potential.  This could be interesting as a musing on nature versus nurture.  Who are we without our memories?  How much of our actions and social reflexes are based on family and culture?  Obviously, it's a mixture of both, but the degree of expression depends on both the person and the type of environment.  And what happens if their memories start to come back?

I haven't seen the second episode yet.  I wasn't able to work up the enthusiasm.  But these comments are encouraging.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:08 AM

View PostCardie, on 20 June 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

I agree that this episode was far better than the pilot. The only thing bothering me is how, stripped of their memories, it doesn't take long for the Six Musketeers to start being willing to sacrifice themselves for each other, help out the miners, etc. I'm aware that the exigencies of their particular circumstances may have pushed them into becoming brutal mercenaries, but I believe there would be underlying personality traits of selfishness and violent impulses that a mere memory wipe wouldn't eliminate.
That's assuming that the charges on their rap sheet are true and/or there were no extenuating circumstances. After all, one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

On the other hand, the fact that the mining corp's people seemed so familiar with the Raza crew (and some of the things they said to them) lends evidence to the theory that the rap sheets are true, unless it's all a big conspiracy.

Even though they really haven't had any interactions, does anyone else think that One and Five may have some common background? They're the two that really stick out as not fitting in with the rest of the crew. Five has no rapsheet unlike the others, and One is the only person that hasn't demonstrated any particular skills. The other four seem to all neatly fulfill the various roles required of a mercenary crew:
Two- leader, ship engineer/computer expert, hand-to-hand combat
Three-guns (ranged weapons)
Four-hand-to-hand combat
Six-ship pilot

It seems like One and Five are the outliers here.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

The only thing bothering me is how, stripped of their memories, it doesn't take long for the Six Musketeers to start being willing to sacrifice themselves for each other, help out the miners, etc.

To be fair, One was the only mercenary that truly wanted to help the miners. The rest were fine with dropping off the guns and leaving. It was only after One, Three, Four, and Six got stranded and after they had killed members of the Ferrous Corp. army that they decided to throw their lot in with the miners. I also don't think Four was too out of character. He just wanted a good death. I'm betting he's that way with or without memories. Still, it will be interesting to see how these six people are with their memories.

It seems like One and Five are the outliers here.

One seems to have decent hand to hand combat skills and is good with a gun, but yeah he doesn't really seem to specialize in anything. So far he seems to be the conscience of the group, and I doubt he was that way when they all had their memories.

As for Five, I'm not sure. Just because her data wasn't recovered doesn't mean it's not there. It's also possible that she's a new hire or maybe she was part of the group that was going to help the miners and was taken prisoner/stowed away for some reason.

On the other hand, the fact that the mining corp's people seemed so familiar with the Raza crew (and some of the things they said to them) lends evidence to the theory that the rap sheets are true, unless it's all a big conspiracy.

I don't think it would be a conspiracy, at least not by the Ferrous Corp. They gain nothing by wiping the minds of their hired mercenaries. In fact, they lost the planet thanks to that. Maybe it's a conspiracy engineered by this Hrothgar. It's possible one the six is undercover with the mercenaries and did the mind wipe to save the planet.

I wonder if One and Two had a relationship pre-mind wipe. They certainly seem to be heading in that direction now so is it something new or just a continuation of old habits?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:02 AM

I agree that Hrothgar must have had something to do with the mindwipes and have an agent aboard. Five is either that agent playing dumb or was the mercs' prisoner because her freaky psychic abilities are prized by Ferrous Corp. I also wonder whether Hrothgar is a person or the name of the resistance movement.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,406 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

I see no reason to interpret Five's experience of others' memories as anything "psychic." If there is technology in existence that can erase people's memories, it stands to reason there is technology that can implant one person's memories in another person. Given that the person who's experiencing others' memories is part of the same group of people who've lost their own memories, it's reasonable to expect that both phenomena have related causes.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:57 PM

Well, I said it had a slow start in the first episode, but everything picked up this week.  Eps one and two together really function as a two part pilot, it just wasn't labeled as such.  Now, with the initial conflict resolved, they have determined who they are as a team and how they resolve a crisis.  And they are also beginning to determine their place in the universe, and how they relate to the big players.

The second episode was definitely better than the first.  :)

That was a brilliant play, calling in the mining corp's rival to help level the playing field!  :cool:

Three is just too funny, he cracks me up! :lol:  Out of all of them, he has the most "bad" tendencies left over, and he loves it!  He just seems to have fun being "bad".  (And the actor is clearly having a blast as well. :hehe:) He had some great lines, like "Slashy McStabberson", and naming his guns, etc.  ;) And toting a massive BFG, LOL!

And Six seems to have the most variety of skills: pilot, fighting skills, and apparently medic as well.

Agreed that the climactic fight was very well played.  I normally don't watch things for the violence, and fighting is not usually the highlight for me.   But this was very well played, and strategically interesting, with a variety of action.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 20 June 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

So Five didn't erase everyone's memories but she knows it was someone on the crew and they did it because the mercs are dangerous. I wonder who it was and what caused them to do it. How long have this team been together?

~~~

Why did Five crawl through the vents when the Ferrous Corp. rep came on board? It's a large ship and she didn't seem to be anywhere near the docking area. It just felt random.

For me that was an "aha" moment, because my theory is that she stowed away on the ship at the last place they raided.  That she hid, and then set the technology to wipe their memories.  She has the technical skills to do so, knows about what's behind the door etc.   She may have even set up a way to get her memories back, if that is what she is remembering.

So when she climbed through the ventilation shaft, I thought "Oh, that's how she did it!".  Maybe it was one of those things where they instinctively do things they have done before, like fly a ship or fight?

And I know she said she is getting someone else's memories, but I think they could be hers.  She could be being vague on purpose, until she knows more about who to trust.  Or she could mean "someone else" in the same sense as "we are not those people anymore".

View PostVirgil Vox, on 23 June 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

I wonder if One and Two had a relationship pre-mind wipe. They certainly seem to be heading in that direction now so is it something new or just a continuation of old habits?

LOL, that makes me wonder if it's like the TNG ep with the same plot (Conundrum?).   Without their memories, Riker and Ro forgot how much they hated each other!  :lol:

One more thing that I think really works in the show's favor, is that the cast has great chemistry with each other.   The characters are quirky and diverse enough, that it is fun just watching their personalities bounce off of each other.  :D

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 25 June 2015 - 02:55 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

I've got to find time to watch this episode before episode 3 comes on.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 24 June 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

LOL, that makes me wonder if it's like the TNG ep with the same plot (Conundrum?).   Without their memories, Riker and Ro forgot how much they hated each other!  :lol:
I loved that.  :lol:

#12 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:34 PM

I see no reason to interpret Five's experience of others' memories as anything "psychic." If there is technology in existence that can erase people's memories, it stands to reason there is technology that can implant one person's memories in another person. Given that the person who's experiencing others' memories is part of the same group of people who've lost their own memories, it's reasonable to expect that both phenomena have related causes.

It's not unreasonable to assume that Five has psychic powers. It's a well that a lot of sci-fi shows seem to go to.

Well, I said it had a slow start in the first episode, but everything picked up this week.  Eps one and two together really function as a two part pilot, it just wasn't labeled as such.  Now, with the initial conflict resolved, they have determined who they are as a team and how they resolve a crisis.  And they are also beginning to determine their place in the universe, and how they relate to the big players.

The episode really should have been aired as a two hour pilot. The episodes flow right into each other anyways.

Agreed that the climactic fight was very well played.  I normally don't watch things for the violence, and fighting is not usually the highlight for me.   But this was very well played, and strategically interesting, with a variety of action.

I love me some action scenes but even I get bored with them after a while. This one held my attention for all the reasons you stated.

I had forgotten about that episode. Maybe it is the same here. One and Two hate each other with memories, but without they're into each other. I do wonder how long the crew will be without their memories. Will they ever recover them?

One more thing that I think really works in the show's favor, is that the cast has great chemistry with each other.   The characters are quirky and diverse enough, that it is fun just watching their personalities bounce off of each other.  :D

Agreed. I wasn't big on Three or the android but they both became more likeable in episode 2. I think One and Two are my favorite characters at the moment.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,406 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 26 June 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

It's not unreasonable to assume that Five has psychic powers. It's a well that a lot of sci-fi shows seem to go to.

But this isn't another show, it's this show. It should be judged based on its own content. And where technological memory erasure is involved, that's the obvious answer for how memories could be implanted as well. There's simply no need to speculate beyond that. (And of course episode three answers the question.)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#14 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

Well, I do agree that this was better than the first episode-- or the first episode was just incomplete without this one.  The characters were more distinct and there was more meat to the story.  I liked how things developed and how everything turned out, and I admit that it's interesting that these allegedly murderous characters become mostly decent people when given a new start.  I feel little compulsion to keep watching, though.

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:16 AM

But this isn't another show, it's this show. It should be judged based on its own content. And where technological memory erasure is involved, that's the obvious answer for how memories could be implanted as well. There's simply no need to speculate beyond that. (And of course episode three answers the question.)

It's a message board, Christopher. Speculating on things is part of the fun.

Well, I do agree that this was better than the first episode-- or the first episode was just incomplete without this one.  The characters were more distinct and there was more meat to the story.  I liked how things developed and how everything turned out, and I admit that it's interesting that these allegedly murderous characters become mostly decent people when given a new start.  I feel little compulsion to keep watching, though.

It has me hooked, or at least interested. Plus there has been a dearth of good sci-fi shows set in space on a ship lately so I'm happy for anything that feeds that addiction and is well written and acted.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

I can dig it.  I am very hungry for good Space Opera, but this and Killjoys are not doing it for me.  I'm not sure if I'll try another episode of each or not.  We still have The Expanse to look forward to.

#17 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

^ In contrast, I'm having opposite reactions to the two shows.  Killjoys is starting to annoy me, but Dark Matter might just be my new favorite show! :D

I would recommend watching episode 3 of Dark Matter.   It focuses entirely on developing the characters, and how they interact.  Clearly the people are the heart of the show, and all the best shows know it!  :cool:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#18 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

Okay, you sold me.  I'll give it more time.

I've been more inclined to stick with Killjoys, because I feel guilty abandoning Steve.  :mellow:

#19 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:14 PM

^ In contrast, I'm having opposite reactions to the two shows.  Killjoys is starting to annoy me, but Dark Matter might just be my new favorite show! :D

Same here. Like RJ, I'm giving Killjoys a chance mainly because of Aaron Ashmore and I think the potential is there for a good show. I think Dark Matter has all ready fulfilled that potential and has me for at least the first season.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 30 June 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Okay, you sold me.  I'll give it more time.

:D

View PostRJDiogenes, on 30 June 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

I've been more inclined to stick with Killjoys, because I feel guilty abandoning Steve.  :mellow:

View PostVirgil Vox, on 30 June 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

Same here. Like RJ, I'm giving Killjoys a chance mainly because of Aaron Ashmore and I think the potential is there for a good show. I think Dark Matter has all ready fulfilled that potential and has me for at least the first season.

I'm all for following favorite actors to new shows, many times it is my only reason for trying a show.  But the show still has to be good.  Maybe what is annoying me about Killjoys is that it could be so much better than it is.  

On the other hand, on Dark Matter I was familiar with four of the seven main actors going in:  Roger Cross from Continuum (and probably a bunch of other things), Zoie Palmer from Lost Girl and The Guard (one of the shows I watched just because of who was in it, and it wound up making me a fan of some new actors! :cool: )  Then there is Anthony Lemke, who was fun on Lost Girl for a while.   But most interesting of all is Jodelle Ferland, who I have been watching since Kingdom Hospital!  :D (How old was she there?  8 or 9? :oh: ) And her two appearances on Stargate.

Not to mention the promise of future appearances by Wil Wheaton and David Hewlett! :D (Hey, David Hewlett has already worked with Jodelle Ferland! :hehe: )

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 02 July 2015 - 09:29 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Dark Matter: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users