Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:00 AM

Spoilers

~

~

Sabotage is suspected and the onboard paranoia surges when the ship mysteriously veers off course. To bring the systems back online, a perilous spacewalk is required; at the same time, Five makes a shocking discovery.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

That was a random twist there at the end. So either One and Jace are twins, or One was surgically altered to look like Jace. Either way, that does make it seem like One infiltrated the ship pretending to be Jace and is probably the person who sabotaged everyone's memories. Maybe he works for Hrothgar. One is definitely the most goody goody person on the ship and if he's really not Jace now we know why.

So Five isn't psychic. Somehow all of their memories were dumped into her head. I wonder if that was intentional or not. Maybe One and Five are working together, and One put the memories in Five because there's a secret they need to know.

We have another mystery now concerning the dead teenager and who shot him. Was he a prisoner on the ship?

Three and Four make an odd pair. Three is loud, rude, and not shy about making his opinions known. Four is quiet, reserved, and very deadly. yet somehow their little bromance works. I did like that in this episode, even though they did engage in mutiny, it was for a good reason. They saw no benefit in rescuing the android and wanted to jump to FTL to save their lives and the lives of everyone on board.

I'm pretty sure the crew would be screwed without the android. She does a ton of stuff on the ship and for the crew. I'm not sure they could do everything the android does if she were gone.

Five really loves crawling through the vents doesn't she?

Three does have a point. None of them can remember each other or even themselves. Now since the business with the miners is over there's not a lot keeping them together. Though the other side of that argument is stronger. They have no idea who they've angered and who might be coming after them. There's still the question of who shot that missile at them in the pilot. Sticking together and repairing their ship is probably their best bet.

I loved Five removing the bullets from Three's gun. It made for a pretty hilarious moment.

One made his move on Two. I thought there for a second Two was going to reciprocate but she didn't.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

There's also the possibility that the man who claimed to be Jace had been surgically altered to look like One/Jace.

A bottle show already. But it worked to show the evolving alliances within the passengers. One and Two are potential romantic partner; Three and Four are the partnership of convenience between the two badass, self-interested guys (although Three is mostly faux badass); and Six has taken on a parental role vis a vis Five.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 June 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

That was a random twist there at the end. So either One and Jace are twins, or One was surgically altered to look like Jace. Either way, that does make it seem like One infiltrated the ship pretending to be Jace and is probably the person who sabotaged everyone's memories. Maybe he works for Hrothgar. One is definitely the most goody goody person on the ship and if he's really not Jace now we know why.

Or another show about/with clone(s) ;) Though I really hope not.

I hope the doppelgänger plot only involves One and Jace. We don't know which one is the real Jace, or what the motives of the pretender are/were, regardless of whether One was behind the memory wipe or not. Also, if One is pretending to be Jace, how long has One been with the crew? Just prior to the mind wipe? Or were their originally memories all with One as Jace (whether original or not)? Was the bar Jace's original plan just to use the identity confusion to take the ship from under them and/or to try to convince the Raza crew that they were/are working with a fraud? In current circumstances he can even pretend to know them (and may have researched them well enough to pull it off convincently, especially with the mind wipes). It will be interesting to see how the crew react to bar Jace and how they grabbed with their sense of identity and alliances in the face of that. And if bar Jace actually *did* know them (though I don't know how long until it will be made absolutely clear to the audience) whether they will reject or accept one. I can't see them both being part of the crew as fun as that could made to be ;) I don't think the crew would go for that, except as a convenience to gain more information about their lives, their enemies, etc.

Edited by sierraleone, 28 June 2015 - 11:46 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,407 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 June 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

That was a random twist there at the end. So either One and Jace are twins, or One was surgically altered to look like Jace. Either way, that does make it seem like One infiltrated the ship pretending to be Jace and is probably the person who sabotaged everyone's memories.

That's what they probably want us to think, so I'm sure it won't actually be the case. That is, yes, One isn't who he appears to be (that's from the comic, I'm told), and that will make him a suspect in the erasure, but he'll turn out not to be the one. It's too early to reveal the big mystery -- that'll probably be held for the season finale.

Three does have a point. None of them can remember each other or even themselves. Now since the business with the miners is over there's not a lot keeping them together. Though the other side of that argument is stronger. They have no idea who they've angered and who might be coming after them. There's still the question of who shot that missile at them in the pilot. Sticking together and repairing their ship is probably their best bet.

Plus, if they don't remember how the larger universe works, it's a bad idea to just wander out into it and try to get by. Not to mention hat they're all wanted criminals.

View PostCardie, on 27 June 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

A bottle show already. But it worked to show the evolving alliances within the passengers.

Yup. It was a good idea to follow up the premiere with a story that focused solidly on the characters and their relationships, without a lot of bigger plot/worldbuilding stuff to distract from them. Before this, they were pretty much ciphers, but this episode really did a lot to make them interesting and create bonds among them. The fact that it's a money-saving bottle show was useful, but secondary.

(ST:TNG tried something similar, doing "The Naked Now" as its second episode and using the inhibition-releasing virus as an opportunity to reveal the characters. It wasn't as successful, though. Closer to home, Stargate SG-1 followed up its pilot with a Stargate Command-based bottle show that was effective at fleshing out the characters and the nature of the enemy.)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

"Chocolate protein pudding day!"  :lol:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

^^  Yeah, that was funny.

Okay, the characterization has definitely been improving with each episode.  It's interesting that the group has a couple of real Dr Smiths to deal with-- or maybe a Dr Smith and a Mark Wilson.  But all the characters are turning out to be fairly interesting in their own way.  The way Five was asking everyone if they wanted to play a game made me wonder if she's the one who did the mind wipe, but perhaps motivated by a desire to create a family rather than anything nefarious.  That would be a twist.

I never mind bottle shows, but the problem with a bottle show on this show is that the bottle is so unpleasant. Why is everything so gray?  Why don't the lights work?  Why does every room look like a basement?  Although I do like the big-ass fish tank. That would be a great addition to a starship that doesn't look like it was built in 1942 and abandoned in 1943.  And another little pet peeve:  Why do these little character building moments have to take place with people training for combat?  Characters twiddling pain sticks and punching on punching bags is really boring.

On the plus side:  We had most of the characters in agreement to stick together for mutual support, and most of the characters agreeing to save the android (which, technically, is a gynecoid, but they're not likely to use that).  I like it when characters act heroically, and that's not something to be taken for granted these days.  And One and Five were genuinely upset when Six appeared to be dead.  I got a kick out of the android's reply to One's statement that she would have done the same for them:  "In fact, I did."

Now this duplicate of One at the end is interesting.  Is Jace the name that the computer gave for One?  I don't remember the names.  I'm wondering if possibly all the people on the ship are duplicates and so are not really the killers that they appear to be.  Why this would be, I have no idea.  The dead kid is obviously going to be a major plot point, as well, but I'm wondering why they didn't immediately search the entire ship for more bodies. They kind of blew that little revelation off a little too easily.  How big is that ship, anyway?

I just wish somebody would ask the android why the lighting levels are kept low enough to be harmful to human eyes.  "Oh, the ship is in mourning mode.  Shall I turn up the lights?"  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 01 July 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

I'm wondering if possibly all the people on the ship are duplicates and so are not really the killers that they appear to be.
That would explain the amnesia; they weren't memory-wiped, they just weren't programmed with their full personality implants.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

Good point.  Although they seem to have the muscle memory of the originals, at least.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 28 June 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

"Chocolate protein pudding day!"  :lol:

SFG

View PostRJDiogenes, on 01 July 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

^^  Yeah, that was funny.

Apparently, she was more right than she knew!  :oh:

Because it turns out that "Chocolate Pudding Day" is an actual thing!  And it's on June 26th, which is the day this episode aired!  :howling:

So she knew the date after all!  :howling: :howling: :howling:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 09 July 2015 - 11:39 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

Now that took foresight and planning. :mellow:

#12 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:39 PM

Oh, I just remembered something else about this episode.  The guest credits at the end listed someone named TJ, and the only other guest listed was "bartender".  Since this was a bottle episode, except for the bar scene at the end with the second Jace, "TJ" can only be the dead teenager.  We have no idea who he is, so the fact that he has been given a name is a guarantee that we will be seeing more about him!  :cool:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#13 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:22 AM

The crew does seem awfully blasé about the ship having a big, impenetrable door and the body of a dead teen-ager as features.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:18 AM

Well, to be fair, only half of them know about the door.   Three tried his best to get in, before telling Four about it (and Four doesn't concern himself much with things he can't do anything about).  

And Five only saw it in a dream, but she knows that one of the crew keeps their "secrets" locked behind it.  

I'm going to say it belongs to someone who hasn't tried to open it yet.   Because I think whoever locked it would instinctively know how to open it if they looked at it.  At least I think they would ... :unsure:

But yeah, they ought to have done a much more thorough search of the ship by now, but they haven't.  

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 10 July 2015 - 08:20 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Yes, that's what I was thinking.  If I found a dead body hidden away on the ship, I would want to make sure there weren't any others before I put in to any port.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Dark Matter: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users