Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:08 AM

Spoilers

~

~

A hostage exchange with a vengeful warlord turns deadly when the Killjoys are stranded in a restricted, bombed-out city overrun with dangerous gangs and scavengers.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:20 PM

I did like this episode better than the last one for sure. I wonder if Dutch went ahead and killed her redbox's named target. She seems to at least be on an intel gathering mission, so she might be trying to gather Intel which may be useful if she goes up against her mentor later, but I don't doubt she killed that guy after she was done getting the info she wanted. I doubt she sees much alternative at this point. And it may also make her feel better if she can justify it to herself that the targets are not innocent people. Unless he just wants to lord his control over her I assume their is a point to the targets he chooses. Though I don't doubt he would target good people if he had a motive to.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,490 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

Oh, my goodness.  :laughtears:

Did I mention that I find it laughable that all these modern "sci fi" shows look like the inside of a deserted factory?  Well, they actually filmed this one at an old deserted factory complex. Pure 20th century, the cement parking spot bumpers, the yellow posts, the doors and windows and brick walls, the smokestacks-- they made absolutely no effort at all to disguise that they were in just some trashy empty industrial park in Vancouver.  :lol:  Add that, of course, to the bad fight scene music and the tragically hip Generation Hipster bar and I don't think I can take any more.  Sorry, Steve, I don't know if I can take any more.   :cry:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

The story wasn't bad, but the overall style is starting to annoy me.  Lots of violence, crude language, and angry music that just sounds like noise to me.  (Sorry to anyone that offends, I genuinely can't tell what music other people consider good. :lol:  My tastes run in a more ... acoustic direction.  ;) )

And they shouldn't have tried to drag out the What is Davin going to do ... Will he get a job ... Oh, he's going to join them as a killjoy!  Surprise! for so long.  :rolleyes:  It was so painfully obvious that he would join their crew, so that whole "suspense" thing just wound up boring.  

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 30 June 2015 - 11:42 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 27 June 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

I did like this episode better than the last one for sure. I wonder if Dutch went ahead and killed her redbox's named target. She seems to at least be on an intel gathering mission, so she might be trying to gather Intel which may be useful if she goes up against her mentor later, but I don't doubt she killed that guy after she was done getting the info she wanted. I doubt she sees much alternative at this point. And it may also make her feel better if she can justify it to herself that the targets are not innocent people. Unless he just wants to lord his control over her I assume their is a point to the targets he chooses. Though I don't doubt he would target good people if he had a motive to.

"Why?  Is a question my little bird must never ask."

And so, of course she asks "why"!  :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,096 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 30 June 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

And they shouldn't have tried to drag out the What is Davin going to do ... Will he get a job ... Oh, he's going to join them as a killjoy!  Surprise! for so long.  :rolleyes:  It was so painfully obvious that he would join their crew, so that whole "suspense" thing just wound up boring.

Not everything in fiction is about suspense or surprising the audience. The primary goal should be serving the characters and developing them plausibly. D'avin is not supposed to be a character who would quickly and easily fall into being a reclamation agent, let alone working alongside the brother he hasn't spoken to in years. He has other goals and priorities of his own. And John isn't particularly eager to work with D'avin either, and Dutch had no reason to trust him before getting to know him. So it would've been out of character for all three leads if he'd just instantly become a Killjoy. It had to be earned in-story, and that took time.

In that other show about space bounty hunters, Cowboy Bebop, it took nine episodes -- fullly a third of the series -- before its entire core cast was assembled. And when Faye was first introduced, I think it wasn't until the end of her second episode that she joined the crew.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,490 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

It was so painfully obvious that he would join their crew, so that whole "suspense" thing just wound up boring.  
Far too often I have to say to my TV, "The suspense is boring me!"  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

^ Lol, good one!  :lol:

View PostChristopher, on 30 June 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Not everything in fiction is about suspense or surprising the audience. The primary goal should be serving the characters and developing them plausibly. D'avin is not supposed to be a character who would quickly and easily fall into being a reclamation agent, let alone working alongside the brother he hasn't spoken to in years. He has other goals and priorities of his own. And John isn't particularly eager to work with D'avin either, and Dutch had no reason to trust him before getting to know him. So it would've been out of character for all three leads if he'd just instantly become a Killjoy. It had to be earned in-story, and that took time.

In that other show about space bounty hunters, Cowboy Bebop, it took nine episodes -- fullly a third of the series -- before its entire core cast was assembled. And when Faye was first introduced, I think it wasn't until the end of her second episode that she joined the crew.

Except they took the time, and didn't even address Johhny's issues with it yet.

Maybe it was just jarring that they treated it as some big mystery, when the promotional blurb for the show announced "a fun-loving, hard-living trio of interplanetary bounty hunters". :rolleyes:  But I guess the promotion is not the show's fault.

And, taking time to build a team is fine, I just don't think they pulled it off very well.  Character building seems to be the weakest point on this show.  It's all action, one job to the next, with just little tiny breadcrumbs of character development.  

So far they have explored Dutch the most, because they have given her this mysterious past.  But they've hardly given Aaron Ashmore much to do, in fact he's hardly even interacted with people much!  :oh:   This week, they left him behind on the ship, and he had to carry all his scenes by himself. Which he did well, he found a way to make all his scenes interesting, and his banter with the ship's computer is rather fun.  But there was still not a lot to the scenes.  In other words, he is valiantly working to make something interesting out of what he has been given, but they have really given him very little to work with.  :(

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,687 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

View PostChristopher, on 30 June 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

That is true.  However, gauging from SFG's reaction, it sounds like they did it in a very ho-hum fashion ... which suggests that, for whatever reason, they had failed to engage her interest in D'avin.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,490 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 01 July 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

^ Lol, good one!  :lol:  
Back in the early 80s, I was at the movies with a friend watching some terrible horror flick with Jamie Lee Curtis-- it was called Fear Train or something-- and at one point I blurted out, "The suspense is boring me!"  Apparently, I said it louder than I thought, because the whole theater cracked up.  After that, it became sort of a catchphrase.  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Killjoys

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users