#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

Spoilers

Posted Image

Mounting a salvage operation on an apparently deserted space freighter, the crew discover a deadly cargo.

screencap from www.farfarawaysite.com. :)
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

Aahahahhahaaa!!!!  That David Hewlett scene was the funniest thing ever!!!!  :howling: :howling: :howling: :howling: :howling:

Was that a pimp shirt?!?  And what's with the urn?  And who was the voice asking for the inhaler?

"A man of little patience ... or tact."  Yep!  :lol:  He even managed to offend Three (or maybe disgust), which seems like an accomplishment to me, LOL! :D

So, the bit of tech that Five found is part of a machine to access "Pockets of extra-dimensional space."  OK then!!!!!  :D  

I would bet anything that the card activates whatever is behind the door!  :D

So what is it?  A Tardis?  A whole other reality?  A pocket universe ala Men in Black???

I don't think we have even considered the possibility that any duplicates could be from an alternate universe!  With guy-liner instead of beards for the evil version!  :howling:  (Side note, I don't think Marc Bendavid really rocks the guyliner look that well.  At least not the way *ahem* some guys do.  :whistle: ;) )

And I haven't even mentioned the Space Zombies plot yet.  Zombies generally don't interest me (though I do like the Resident Evil movies), but I liked this one plenty, partly because the zombies were very understated.  There were very few scenes actually showing or fighting the zombies, leaving the focus squarely on character interaction and problem solving methods.  

Very interesting that Two fought off the virus.  And what's more, either she has some rapid healing quality, or the contagion actually worked on her the way it was originally intended, to make people immortal.  Maybe it combined with something that already makes her (and maybe the others) unique?

So, if they are from an alternate universe, the contagion affects them differently.  Or, if they are clones, maybe there was already tree DNA used to make them live longer than three days!  :howling:  Or something totally else!!!  (I'm just cracking up here!  :lol: )

And, then we have the romantic triangle of One Two and Three.  (Which sounds really weird to say. ;) )  Obviously, One is very attached to Two, and attachments would make things complicated, so she has chosen Three to um, recreate with, for now.  Although, now Three is weirded out by the whole zombie virus transmitted by fluids thing, so I guess that's off the table for now.  ;)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 13 July 2015 - 10:07 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

Oh, and it is important to note that the key to another dimension was found near the dead teenager.  I have no idea what that means, but it has to be important.  :think:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

I wonder if David Hewlett's character knew there was something about Two that would enable her, at the least, to withstand the virus. So that's why he sent the Raza despite the crew's failing to complete the previous mission.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

I think at this point anything is possible, including Hewlett manipulating them into doing things, knowing they have been mind-wiped (but pretending not to know).

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

I love your story ideas, SFG.  You should be a writer on this show. :D

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:39 PM

^ LOL, thanks! :D  Obviously I'm having fun with this show!  :hehe:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 12 July 2015 - 01:39 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,018 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:26 PM

Hmm. Alternate dimensions. This does sound like it's getting more interesting.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

^ Have you seen this episode yet? :)

---

Just a moment one more time, to appreciate David Hewlett, and his shirt!  :p

Hewlett twitter - shirt - CJpFmCOWIAAhdGC.jpg

SFG  :howling:

(And this is one more moment when I would have embedded a tweet if I could. *cough* Orpheus? *cough*) ;)

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 12 July 2015 - 06:06 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,018 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

I haven't seen episode 4 yet.  :blush:

I was on a writing binge over the weekend.  I'll try to get caught up this week.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,207 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 12 July 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

Very interesting that Two fought off the virus.  And what's more, either she has some rapid healing quality, or the contagion actually worked on her the way it was originally intended, to make people immortal.  Maybe it combined with something that already makes her (and maybe the others) unique?

So, if they are from an alternate universe, the contagion affects them differently.  Or, if they are clones, maybe there was already tree DNA used to make them live longer than three days!  :howling:  Or something totally else!!!  (I'm just cracking up here!  :lol: )

:D

They can't all be clones with speedy-healing from tree DNA.... As Six did not heal between episode 3 (when he was hurt trying to save Android on the ship's haul) and episode 4 (when he got a skin graft at the space station's medical clinic).... So either Two was special before, in a way the others are not, and/or she was made special by the contagion.

Edited by sierraleone, 13 July 2015 - 08:23 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#12 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:56 PM

A lot happened this episode. When I saw the previews I figured it would be a fun zombies vs. crew episode but it ended up advancing the plot quite a bit and focusing on the characters.

There for a second I thought One was going to reveal his secret but instead he convinces them to blow up the infected ship. He did manage to negate Three's blackmail though which is nice. People would have started getting suspicious if One continued to agree with all of Three's ideas.

The relationship between One and Three is being handled better than I thought. They don't like each other, but they do more or less have each others back. They simply have different philosophies. One seems more like an idealist who probably does think he's better than some of the crew, especially since he now knows he's not the real Jace. Three, for as crude and blunt as he is, is right that they need to earn money and that that might mean they do some bad things. He's looking out for himself and the crew even if the others don't agree with his methods.

Did not see Two and Three having a sexual relationship. Even if Two doesn't ant to get involved with One I didn't expect her to bed Three. I'm also curious as to why she seems to be the only immune person in the galaxy to the virus and whether her healing was something special about her before they woke up, or if it has something to do with their lost memories or the virus itself.

So Five has part of a key that can access pocket universes. Wowza. With this, the two Jaces, and the cloning tech introduced last episode I really have no idea where this show is going or what the real explanation will be for why the crew has no memory. What happened to them while they headed to the mining planet?

Seriously, give the android a name.

Always nice to see David Hewlett. His slimeball middle man character was great. It also helps to give the show some direction as I'm sure he's going to be sending the Raza more jobs as the season progresses.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#13 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,612 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

The Raza has failed to accomplish two missions Hewlett brokered in a row. If I were he, I wouldn't be finding them any more assignments.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

^Well, they seem to have had a pretty good success rate before this. He may be willing to give them a few more chances before cutting ties with them. He might even agree with their decision to blow the ship since the virus was loose.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#15 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:42 PM

"Pockets of extra-dimensional space" doesn't make me think alternate universes, it makes me think FTL/teleportation. Pop briefly into "hyperspace," then pop back out somewhere else.

Or possibly subspace storage, like Transformers have, but that seems like it would be a bit too advanced for this setting.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#16 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

^ But they have FTL, they use it all the time.   I forget if they call it hyperspace, but that wouldn't be something surprising.

Much more likely to be the largest loot vault in history!   (Bigger on the inside).  ;)

Heh, or they've got the Room of Requirement in their basement.  :hehe:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,018 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:23 PM

Okay, I'm all caught up. It's pretty funny that they did a Sci-Fi Zombie episode. Way to be trendy.  :lol:  But they came up with a good, in-universe justification for it, that may even tie in to the overall plot.

There's a lot of interesting character stuff going.on.  The relationship between One and Three is pretty funny, and I liked how One actually got Three to say thank you (which he did not reciprocate later, I noticed).  For a minute it seemed like they were going to humanize Three a bit, but then they put him back in slimeball territory when he gave Two the brush off.

I love how Two is a sexually liberated woman who is able to indulge in recreational sex whenever she wants (especially funny given the 50s attitude toward sex that last week's episode had).  I wonder how much panic that will cause in Sciffy fandom.

Clearly, Five is still bonded with Two, despite last week's Kill-Bill moment.  And both Four and Six are also looking out for her in their own way, although Four's Noble-Warrior-Ninja-Klingon-Death-Before-Dementia way would have gotten her killed before we found out she's immune.

So let's see if I've fot everybody's quirk straight:

One:  Has an eviler clone.
Two:  Has a Wolverine healing factor.
Three:  Nothing yet-- or did I miss it?
Four:  Runaway nobility who killed his father.
Five: Has everybody's memories archived in her brain.
Six:  Nothing yet-- unless I missed it.
Android:  Nothing yet-- unless... you know.
The ship:  A mysterious vault, other-dimensional tech, and at least one dead body.

#18 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,207 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 16 July 2015 - 06:23 PM, said:

Okay, I'm all caught up. It's pretty funny that they did a Sci-Fi Zombie episode. Way to be trendy.  :lol:  But they came up with a good, in-universe justification for it, that may even tie in to the overall plot.

There's a lot of interesting character stuff going.on.  The relationship between One and Three is pretty funny, and I liked how One actually got Three to say thank you (which he did not reciprocate later, I noticed).  For a minute it seemed like they were going to humanize Three a bit, but then they put him back in slimeball territory when he gave Two the brush off.

I love how Two is a sexually liberated woman who is able to indulge in recreational sex whenever she wants (especially funny given the 50s attitude toward sex that last week's episode had).  I wonder how much panic that will cause in Sciffy fandom.

Huh? The only reference to sex in last week's episode I remember is three wanting to find a red-head. Am I getting episodes mixed up? Or are you referring to one's and five's reaction to three red-head-wanting? Which seems in-characters. One's reaction could just be because he opposes three on everything ;) Was their someone else's reaction that I am missing?

So let's see if I've fot everybody's quirk straight:

One:  Has an eviler clone.
Two:  Has a Wolverine healing factor.
Three:  Nothing yet-- or did I miss it?
Four:  Runaway nobility who killed his father.
Five: Has everybody's memories archived in her brain.
Six:  Nothing yet-- unless I missed it.
Android:  Nothing yet-- unless... you know.
The ship:  A mysterious vault, other-dimensional tech, and at least one dead body.

Nope on One. At least the way they present it.
One: The nice clone/copy.
or:
One: Has an eviler, presumably older, 'brother' Jace, from whom One was presumably cloned. Presumably :D

Edited by sierraleone, 16 July 2015 - 07:47 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,018 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 16 July 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

Huh? The only reference to sex in last week's episode I remember is three wanting to find a red-head. Am I getting episodes mixed up? Or are you referring to one's and five's reaction to three red-head-wanting? Which seems in-characters. One's reaction could just be because he opposes three on everything ;) Was their someone else's reaction that I am missing?  
No, you got it.  All the eye rolling.  I thought it was more than One and Five, though.

Nope on One. At least the way they present it.
One: The nice clone/copy.
or:
One: Has an eviler, presumably older, 'brother' Jace, from whom One was presumably cloned. Presumably :D  
Okay, right. Some kind of evil twin then. Or, who knows, maybe it's even himself from an earlier time preiod.  Or One is from the future.  There are all kinds of possibilities when you have a Sci Fi twin.  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Dark Matter: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users