#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

Spoilers

Dark Matter 1-6, pic 3 -smaller.jpeg

Chemical hypnosis and the ship's neural link are used to explore the memories secreted away in Five's subconscious, during which she uncovers the dark truth about Four and Six's violent pasts. She also learns about the circumstances that landed her on the ship and gains some insight into the idyllic childhood of a mysterious little boy.

screencap from www.farfarawaysite.com. :)
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

Okay, I'm sold.  :lol:

Despite the 20th century warehouse and the 19th century travel trunks (I half expected to see a Niagra Falls sticker on Five's hiding place), the characterization and storyline has really clicked for me with this episode, for several reasons.

For one thing, we learned some good stuff about Four and Six.  Four was the good son who was framed and Six was an honorable revolutionary-- sure, both turned killer, but, y'know, extenuating circumstances.  And now that they have learned more about themselves, both seem to be on a mission:  Four to bring justice to the Empress and Six to bring justice to the General.

And we may have the key to the vault.  "Miss Maplethorpe."  I guess we'll find out next week.

Three seems to have been a genuinely heartless rogue in his prior life.  It was a bit frustrating to not see what happened next in the flashback where he was about to space Five.  And now we know where the boy came from.  These are not happy memories for Five.  It's no wonder that she wanted to stay in whoever's memories (I'm guessing Three, and that something ultra-traumatic happened that will make him more sympathetic to us).  I wonder if they will establish any change to her character now that she's technically a year older and has lived part of the life of a young boy.

Anyway, I really like the character of Six now-- he was one of my favorites, anyway-- and Four has become much more interesting. I can't wait to find our more about the rest and how they ended up together.

Oh, and I loved the little scene between One and Two.  :D  "So with somebody else there might be... complications."  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:43 PM

I was pleased to have been proved right. Real stone cold killers without empathy or morals don't get all squishy just because they don't have their memories. Since One is not in fact Jace Corso and we know the origins of Four and Six, I'm willing to bet that Two may have mad fighting skills but is in fact an honorable leader, just as she is now. I thought the happy farm memories were One's but it would been a good twist if Three had a happy, bucolic childhood.

Did Five not hear the Maplethorpe comment? I suppose they want to string out the reveal of what's behind the vault door. I'm glad other stuff is coming to light fairly quickly. The key card is becoming much more fascinating. It's both a danger and a resource, it seems.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 18 July 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

Three seems to have been a genuinely heartless rogue in his prior life.  It was a bit frustrating to not see what happened next in the flashback where he was about to space Five.  And now we know where the boy came from.  These are not happy memories for Five.  It's no wonder that she wanted to stay in whoever's memories (I'm guessing Three, and that something ultra-traumatic happened that will make him more sympathetic to us).  I wonder if they will establish any change to her character now that she's technically a year older and has lived part of the life of a young boy.

By technically I assume you don't mean physically or in real time (though apparently she experienced it as such). Would it really count as such though? Isn't more like watching a really long movie? I was going to say like playing a game, but she doesn't even have a game-level of input into what happens in these memories, so watching a movie/series would be more accurate. I don't think it will have as much impact as having experienced (whether real or fake) an environment in which you make decisions. In fact that was basically part of the appeal she said, of staying in the memories. Especially since it was an idyllic environment. I think we need an episode where they are on some planet and are around horse so we can see who has a natural knack with them :D

And besides Four, I am not completely ruling out that idyllic 6 months of childhood could be someone besides One and Three. For all we know someone else has had cosmetic surgery and/or even gender reassignment :p Or perhaps someone had had some other memories (real ones from someone else, or fake) somehow downloaded into their head before all their assorted memories got downloaded into Five ;)

I wonder if Five will have similar recollection when the memories surface in her dreams going forward? (and you'd think they'd want her medically monitored while sleeping too, just in case of further medical complications). If so, she may be able to sort out that One is an imposter, if there is any reflections in his memories, even if she never witnesses the surgery One presumably had. While presumable most of One's adult memories are of another face, and she wouldn't know who that person "became" out of One and Three (if she rules out cosmetic surgery for ethnicity), as the preponderance of adult memories of One and Three surface if will become apparent it is most likely one of two options: Three had cosmetic surgery a long time ago, or One has had cosmetic surgery relatively recently. (unless One has been impersonating Jace Corso a long time for other reasons... ). But I suppose that could take a while to sort out ;)

This episode gives a little more to theorize on who had motive to wipe their memories and why. Most motives presumably would not align with wiping their own memories ;) Excluding backstabbing ship-swindling, likelihood of motive, and reasons, for memory wiping? Though really the only new deep info is with Six I think.

One - We still don't know if he was impersonating Jace Corso (if that is what he was doing) under cover as an agent of the law or as a criminal duping criminals. If the former (a law officer), I see little motive for him to wipe people's memories, presumable he would want to bring them to justice with their memories intact. Unless it was supposed to be temporary so they were easier to bring in? And/or he was really desperately trying to stop their job on the mining planet in the second episode from going forward (he had someone associated with the miners in his room IIRC, that he was trying to piece together himself). I suppose that would make him possibly a vigilante, desperado, or a sort of security-for-hire, which would be neither law officer nor hardened criminal. I couldn't even speculate on what motive he may have had if he were a regular old criminal, besides ship-swindling, since we have still too little to go on.

Two - Nada still.

Three - All we know is that he was presumably ready to space Five out of an airlock, so impossible to speculate beside ship-swindling.

Four - He has already indicated to Three that he would swindle the ship from under his shipmates to take the ship for himself ;) He could have wanted to do it just to eek out his own life and/or trying to prove his innocent/take his throne/take revenge on his step-mother.

Five - Obviously someone saved her from being turfed out an airlock and made sure she ended up in stasis safety  But her wanting to take everyone's memories seem a little sophisticated for a street kid (what the heck do they call the space version?) just trying to survive. Unless it was to try to assert power in a crappy situation and/or working, perhaps under duress, with whoever really wanted their memories wiped. Considering her inclination towards escapism in this episode I guess we can't rule out more naive reasons for her to wipe the other's memories, or even her own for that matter.

Six - Like four he could want to take the ship and use it to redeem himself and/or right injustices against himself and others. Also he is the only other one who I actually could see wanting to wipe his own memories, considering he would have committed suicide if it weren't for lack of ammo.

Android - while I don't see her having her own motives and intents in this (though you never know ;) ) she could be the puppet of someone else. Heck, even the guy that gave them the job in the last episode that we saw at the beginning of this episode. Like Two said, sounds like he was willing to double-cross them because he would likely profit either way. So we can't rule out someone not on board, either working against all the crew, and/or working with one of them.

Edited by sierraleone, 18 July 2015 - 10:47 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#5 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:13 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 18 July 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

And besides Four, I am not completely ruling out that idyllic 6 months of childhood could be someone besides One and Three. For all we know someone else has had cosmetic surgery and/or even gender reassignment :p Or perhaps someone had had some other memories (real ones from someone else, or fake) somehow downloaded into their head before all their assorted memories got downloaded into Five ;)
Nah that seems way too complicated for a show like this which, while quite interesting and with an ongoing mystery, doesn't seem quite complex and dark enough to have a mystery-in-a-mystery. I think the twist will be that, while viewers will assume that it was One who had the idyllic childhood (since he's the idealist), it will actually turn out to be Three (the cynic).

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 18 July 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

By technically I assume you don't mean physically or in real time (though apparently she experienced it as such). Would it really count as such though? Isn't more like watching a really long movie? I was going to say like playing a game, but she doesn't even have a game-level of input into what happens in these memories, so watching a movie/series would be more accurate. I don't think it will have as much impact as having experienced (whether real or fake) an environment in which you make decisions. In fact that was basically part of the appeal she said, of staying in the memories.  
Unless the memories fade quickly like a real dream, I would expect them to have some effect. She did experience them in real time and it wasn't just watching-- it was a memory, so she should have been experiencing the full sensory input and feelings of another person.  Imagine going away for six months to a year and then coming back to your regular life-- it would take some time to adjust.  Then imagine that you were living as a completely different person with a completely different background (gender as well, for that matter).  Tthat's got to effect someone.

Interesting ideas. For whatever reason, she didn't recognize who she was.  Maybe it was just the age difference, or maybe it was the alleged cosmetic surgery, but it could all be a red herring.

Android - while I don't see her having her own motives and intents in this (though you never know ;) )
Actually, Android was the only one never tested for lying-- and how could she be?  Maybe she did it to unburden everyone of their pasts.  It could be a Zeroth Law-type situation.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 18 July 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

Okay, I'm sold.  :lol:

Welcome to the club at last!  :D  :cool:

Three seems to have been a genuinely heartless rogue in his prior life.  It was a bit frustrating to not see what happened next in the flashback where he was about to space Five.  

The obvious guess is that one of the others came along and saved her.  But maybe at the last minute his greed got the better of him?  She was telling him about the extremely valuable key hidden somewhere on the ship.  Maybe he decided to look for it after all?  What if he tried to transfer just her memories to him, without telling the others, and it went horribly wrong?  (He's not the most tech minded one, after all. )  Or else Five managed to change the program he wrote at the last minute?  Either way, remember that the android said that the memory program was hastily written.  :think:

Oh, and I loved the little scene between One and Two.  :D  "So with somebody else there might be... complications."  :lol:

I like that she was completely honest, and that he understood and accepted her reasons.  Though's it's rather funny that her explanation was almost word for word how I had analyzed her actions just a week before!  :lol:  For reference, here is what I said in the previous week's thread:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 12 July 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

And, then we have the romantic triangle of One Two and Three.  (Which sounds really weird to say. ;) )  Obviously, One is very attached to Two, and attachments would make things complicated, so she has chosen Three to um, recreate with, for now.  Although, now Three is weirded out by the whole zombie virus transmitted by fluids thing, so I guess that's off the table for now.  ;)

SFG

Yep, complications!  ;)

View PostCardie, on 18 July 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

Did Five not hear the Maplethorpe comment? I suppose they want to string out the reveal of what's behind the vault door. I'm glad other stuff is coming to light fairly quickly. The key card is becoming much more fascinating. It's both a danger and a resource, it seems.

It's also interesting that the key card is completely unrelated to what is behind the door.  Five really stole from the wrong guy, didn't she!  :o  Though I wonder if the ship that attacked them in the first episode was the one looking to get the key back?

And it's reassuring to know that TJ was not killed by anyone on board.  Still very sad though.  :(

And I agree about the mystery of the childhood farm memories.  One is the most obvious guess, but that seems a little too obvious.  It's much more likely a red herring.  And yeah, anyone who went from that happy childhood to a member of this crew, must have had something horrible happen to their family, or they would still be on that farm.  :(

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 24 July 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Welcome to the club at last!  :D  :cool:
Thank you.  :lol:

The obvious guess is that one of the others came along and saved her.  But maybe at the last minute his greed got the better of him?  
Given the events of the most recent episode, I'm inclined to think they didn't show us what happened because he refrained from spacing her in a moment of compassion.

I like that she was completely honest, and that he understood and accepted her reasons.  Though's it's rather funny that her explanation was almost word for word how I had analyzed her actions just a week before!  :lol:  For reference, here is what I said in the previous week's thread:  
You called it.  :nod:

And it's reassuring to know that TJ was not killed by anyone on board.  Still very sad though.  :(  
Yeah, that's really bad.  :(

And I agree about the mystery of the childhood farm memories.  One is the most obvious guess, but that seems a little too obvious.  It's much more likely a red herring.  And yeah, anyone who went from that happy childhood to a member of this crew, must have had something horrible happen to their family, or they would still be on that farm.
At this point, I'm more inclined than ever to think it's Three.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Dark Matter: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users