Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:38 AM

Spoilers

Dark Matter 1-7, pic 7.jpg

Dark Matter 1-7, pic 11.jpg

The crew finally gain access to the secret room in the ship's underbelly and among the items they find inside are a sunny android and a desperately ill woman who reveals a connection to Three.

screencap from www.farfarawaysite.com. :)
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

So the huge, mysterious vault is actually . . . more or less a safe for securing the crew's own valuables. That's a bit of a letdown. At least the constant scarcity problem may finally be solved.

Whoever the guy they wronged by incinerating his men planned a fiendish revenge. Like Real Jace Corso, he'll probably come gunning for them again.

Should have known that even Three would have a tear-jerker episode in his past. Now it's only Two who is a complete mystery.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

I was a bit let down by the vault, too, but this was still a great episode.  I was wondering if they would leave Three unrehabilited, but he has now been humanized as well.  Now I'm worried that Two will turn out to be the one that's truly evil, especially given the happy ending in this episode (no pun intended).

It was interesting how just the knowledge of his former life changed Three's behavior, as evident not only in his interactions with the woman, but in the scene with Five just before he went off to fight the bad android.

I cringed a bit at how the bad android turned into a Right-Wing caricature of a Feminist in the fight with Three-- although they did subsequently behead her, so maybe it was a statement.  At least Two retained her mature characterization despite that, and she had a couple of great interactions with one; not to mention the scene where the bad android noted her physical reaction to being in his presence.  I really hope she doesn't turn out to be the real bad guy.

Our good android's jealousy over the bad android, and her insecure attempts to one up the newcomer with bragging and showing off kind of pushed the limits, but her naivete were touching.  Apparently she can repair herself from the attack, but I have a feeling that her being out of commission for a while will be a major problem soon.

And I'm sure we haven't heard the last of the guy who sent the android.  I'm equally sure that the incineration incident is either a lie or there were extenuating circumstances.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot Three's conversation with One after the women died.  That was really nice, too.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

The vault being, well, a vault to hide valuables in was a bit of a let-down but makes sense story wise. At least it added to the show and characters by showing a softer side of Three (maybe, more on that in a sec) and introducing a new villain for the team in the form of Cyrus King. There could still be some secrets in there that the crew hasn't found yet. I doubt we've seen the last of the Vault, or its impact on the crew.

Okay, was I the only one thinking that there was more to Three's back story with the sick woman (can't remember her name for the life of me) than what we were shown? Sure it's entirely possible that Three was just a guy who fell in love with this woman and took care of her, and was transporting her somewhere he thought she could get help. On the other hand, the back stories of the other characters had some twists in them. Four looked like someone who murdered his father and fled but it turns out he was framed by his step-mother. Six looked like a terrorist but he was part of a freedom movement and didn't know about the bomb. One isn't really Jace Corso. Part of me thinks there's more to Three and the woman than what we were told.

Wendy the pleasure bot was fun. It was easy to see that she was going to turn bad but that didn't hurt my enjoyment. She easily won over the crew and then turned on them at the drop of a hat.

The android's reaction to Wendy was hilarious. The bit where she was trying out different actions had me cracking up. Pure comedy gold.

I wonder who exactly Cyrus King is and what went down between him and the crew? Were the crew hired to kill him? Was he a rival?

One and Two finally hook up. It's about time. I do wish One had told Two about the fact that he's not Jace because you know that's going to bite him in the butt big time once she finally finds out. Still, as long as their relationship leads to more scenes of One with his clothes off I won't complain.

Whoever the guy they wronged by incinerating his men planned a fiendish revenge. Like Real Jace Corso, he'll probably come gunning for them again.

At the start of the show I was curious as to how they could stretch the premise over several seasons but so far this show has introduced a ton of plotlines to follow. Four now knows about his past, or part of it, and he's not going to take his step-mother's betrayal lying down. Same with Six. It looks like he's going to go after the group that got him labeled as a terrorist. Five has that stolen device that someone obviously wants back. One's true identity is a mystery. Ferrous Corp, Jace Corso, and now King all want the Raza crew dead. Plus we're still not sure who shot at the ship in the pilot.

Oh, and I almost forgot Three's conversation with One after the women died.  That was really nice, too.

It was. The relationship between One and Three has become a pretty complex, fascinating one. Sure they're rivals and don't like it each other but they respect each other's viewpoints for the most part.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

^^  Exactly.  It's very well handled.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 July 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Okay, was I the only one thinking that there was more to Three's back story with the sick woman (can't remember her name for the life of me) than what we were shown?
It did occur to me that she might have been lying about at least some of it, taking advantage of his amnesia.  But now that she's dead, I don't know what the point would be.  And we have yet to see exactly what he was doing that brought him to that planet and how he joined the crew.

#7 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 346 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

I am enjoying Roger Cross's performance.  Is there a series shot in Canada that he isn't in?  Besides Dark Matter he is in Continuum, Motive, The Strain.   A busy guy juggling a lot of series.

#8 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

Roger Cross is a good actor.  I first saw him as Joshua on FIRST WAVE.

#9 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:09 PM

This is the first time I've seen him play a nice guy. It's unsettling.

And I'm thinking the twist with Three's backstory is exactly what he was doing on that planet before getting left behind. Wounded mercenaries don't usually appear in the middle of nowhere.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

Ok, One and Two are hilarious!  :lol:  Now she's just making him uncomfortable on purpose!  :hehe:  "If I was flirting with you, I would be taking my clothes off, not putting them on."  :lol:

Also, did you notice that Two still keeps a bandage on her neck so the others don't find out about her rapid healing?  She even wore it when she was alone in her room after showering!  :lol:  Now that's thorough.  :nod:

Wendy was funny. ;)  And our poor android was jealous, which was adorable and I felt bad for her.   Hope she can repair herself quickly.

Ok, now to the heart of the episode, Three.  One thing that was fascinating, is that he was instinctively protective of Sarah before she even woke up, without remembering her.   As soon as he heard she was sick, he wanted to put her back in stasis, without finding out what she knew.   That was selfless of him, and noticeably out of character.  We have never seen him put another's needs above his own, whether it is someone he knows or not.  So that was particularly meaningful.  

Interesting that this weeks glimpse into Three's past was a full opposite to last weeks glimpse.  Though as RJ said, it does suggest that he decided all on his own not to space five after all.

I can't decide whether this makes Three more or less likely to have been the boy on the farm.  On the one hand, we were expecting that to be his sympathetic backstory, but now he already has one.  But on the other hand, if his family and farm were destroyed by the greed of a mining corp, that could explain why he was so quick to sympathize with someone else who that happened to.   After all, he did mean to leave, but when she got sick he was suddenly more than determined to stay and protect her, whatever it took.  

I wonder if that's the twist you guys are looking for: that maybe his efforts to save Sarah were more about trying to make up for failing to save his family, than about his actual feelings for Sarah.  

And yeah, that exchange between One and Three was really good.  "Then what are we even still talking about?"  :humble:

Also, I love that the crew already know each other well enough to completely understand each other while talking in code.  :nod:  That plan to trick Wendy used each of their talents in the most appropriate way!  :D

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 30 July 2015 - 09:17 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 30 July 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

Ok, now to the heart of the episode, Three.  One thing that was fascinating, is that he was instinctively protective of Sarah before she even woke up, without remembering her.   As soon as he heard she was sick, he wanted to put her back in stasis, without finding out what she knew.  
That's true.  When it was happening, I assumed that she knew something incriminating about him and he was afraid of what she'd tell them-- then I remembered that he has no memories. But he did seem to be having a primal protective reaction to her.

I can't decide whether this makes Three more or less likely to have been the boy on the farm.  
I'm not sure if I said this before, but I wonder if Five has more people's memories in her head than the ones we've met.  Maybe she's a mutant memory eater.

#12 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

LOL, a mutant memory muncher?  :lol:   Well I guess it's less crazy than contagious tree zombies!  :hehe:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

Heh.  :lol:  Well, it's similar to Rogue in X-Men.  She absorbs people's memories along with their powers. At least that's how it used to be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Dark Matter: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users