Details in this thread

Transfer files from old laptop to new

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

I'm getting a new laptop from my parents as an early birthday present and I was wondering what would be the best way to move files, pictures, videos, etc. from my old laptop to my new one. I was thinking about using a thumb drive but that seems like it would take a while. Any suggestions?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

Either a thumb drive or an external HD is a good approach. It may take a little while, but it's a one-time thing. Also, you'll then have an external backup of your files.
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

I recommend an external hard drive for transfer and backup.  They're easy, fast, and cheap these days.  I got a terabyte drive for about 75 bucks.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:56 AM

^Thanks for the suggestions. Even a $75 external hard drive is a little out of my range at the moment since every penny is going to college. I'll definitely have to get one.

I am loving this new laptop, though everything is smaller here on Ex Isle than on my old laptop and I'm not sure how to change that. Spell check isn't working either and I'm not sure how to fix that either and I need it as the keys are different than my old laptop and I keep hitting the wrong ones.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:41 AM

^ What is your browser? Because on Firefox you can push 'control + / -' to make the text bigger / smaller, and 'control 0' to reset to default.  

For spellchecker, I can't look just now (I'm on mobile), but it should be something like: right click, point to something about spellcheck, and click "check spelling as I type".  Or whatever options you find there.   :)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:04 AM

^Thanks. I am on Firefox and the + button worked. As for spelling I do have a "Check Spelling" option but it doesn't matter how many times I click it the thing won't work. Oh well. I'm sure I'll figure it out.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:14 PM

^ Strange.  :think:

Ok, I looked around a bit.

I assume that you tried the right-click box that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 5.05.43 PM.png

So I decided to see if there was any other way to change that setting, and I found one.  If you go to preferences, and click on the advanced tab, you should see this (note the bottom entry) :

Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 5.06.14 PM.png

Oh, and I am on the most current version of Firefox, 39.0

If that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.  ;)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

My spellcheck hasn't worked on EI for a while, either, and it works fine everywhere else (both of those options are checked).  No idea why.  :unsure:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

Strange, it works for me.  But maybe it's a more widespread problem?  :think:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

Beats me.  We're both using the same version of Firefox.  We even both have DownloadHelper. :lol:

I can't imagine what's different, especially since EI seems to be the only site effected.

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

^ :lol:

Maybe it's related to cookies, or the cache?  Or something installed on the site that interacts funny with certain operating systems?  (I'm on Mac OS X 10.10.)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 02 August 2015 - 05:29 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

Ah, that could be it.  I'm on Windows 7.

Still strange that it's only EI, but that's a clue.

#13 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:14 AM

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and even doing what you suggested Sci-Fi Girl the spell check still won't work with Firefox. It does however work with the Microsoft Edge browser so there ya go. I guess if I really want to make sure that I'm not misspelling tons of things here on Ex Isle I'll use Edge.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:16 AM

Now, randomly, with absolutely no help from me, the spell check is working on Firefox.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

Not for me.  I still have to spel corretcly on my owm.

#16 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

^And you're doing such a good job. :)
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

:thumbs-up:

#18 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

With the external hard drive, wouldn't the "File Transfer Wizard" that's built in work for you?

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#19 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

Well, what Firefox giveth Firefox taketh away. My spell check that randomly started working has now randomly stopped working. I'm not too worried though. I guess it will pop back on when it wants to.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#20 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

I've done a laptop hard drive upgrade recently using a USB thumb drive that I've set up with Acronis True Image 2018

What I did was purchase the cheapest price of Acronis as if you buy the single user version direct from Acronis, it's around 50.00 or so.  I went through an authorized retailer like Amazon or NewEgg or in my case in Canada, itfactory.ca where I purchased a downloadable version instead of a retail boxed version.

Once I received my license and download link, I didn't actually download the software and instead, created an account with Acronis and registered the license key there.  From there, I downloaded a Bootable Rescue Media ISO file (around 650 MB download) then using a program like RUFUS USB, I took a spare USB 2 GB thumb drive that I didn't need and used that to create a bootable USB version of Acronis with the rescue image I downloaded.  So now, I can use this on any system as many times as I want without restrictions.

From there, I connected my new drive to an external USB dock and booted the laptop to Acronis with the thumb drive.
On Acronis's main page, I selected "Clone Disk" from the Tools and Utilities menu and used the easy wizard mode and selected my source drive, then the target drive in the dock and it's smart enough to properly resize the partition(s) if any in proportion to the new drive going in.  And it's a matter of waiting as it will depend on the speed of your system, USB port speed, how much info is on the drive, etc.

By the way, external hard drive docks that look like little toasters are pretty cheap to purchase these days such as from manufacturers like Vantec for example.  The one I have will take both 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch SATA hard drives or solid state drives.  They'll work with SATA 1, 2, and 3 speed drives and the USB 3.0 connection is also backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.0 systems.

Once done, power down the laptop, remove the battery (if it's not a sealed unit) and open the case where the hard drive is kept and remove and replace the drive.

A good resource for this is to check out Carey Holzman on his YouTube channel and search for Laptop Hard Drive Upgrade

He does a lot of how to computer videos and gives some interesting candid insights as he builds and services computers for a living from his home and his videos are in real time.  If there is a delay with waiting for a function to complete (i.e. drive cloning), he will cut-away and come back and explain how much time has elapsed when he continues his narration.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users