Dark Matter, S1 E08 - Episode Eight

Dark Matter Dark Matter: Season 1

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for posting that information sierraleone. It really sheds some light on One's history. I too was shocked by the info about him firing the low performing workers. It just doesn't jive with how One acts, though we haven't seen him in a situation where he's in charge. Still, the way he seems to care about the entire crew (even Three) and wants to help them just seems at odds with firing that many people.

I'm on the fence about whether Three really killd One's wife or not. On one hand, as has been pointed out, most of the news about the crew turns out to be false. On the other hand, there might have been a legitimate reason to kill the wife. We know nothing about her. Maybe she was a horrible person in real life who didn't share One's altruism. Maybe she had knowledge that made her a target. Maybe her death was supposed to be a warning to One.

Here's one more funny thing that was pointed out on Joe Mallozzi's blog after the first ep.  He noted the similarities of these two pics:

Those are similar in looks but completely different situations. That was from the Stargate episode where they encountered versions of themselves from alternate realities, right? I miss that show. I recently saw that Hulu had all ten seasons so I might have to watch them all.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#22 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

^ Yup, that's the one!  ;)

View PostRJDiogenes, on 06 August 2015 - 05:47 PM, said:

That reminds me. There seems to be a recurrent thread of Five wanting to hang out with people and getting rebuffed. I wonder if it's just a character thing or if it's leading up to something.  It was kind of sad when she wanted to hang with Six and he wasn't up for it.

Yeah, I was thinking about that a few days ago.   You had suggested early on that maybe Five had wiped their memories, not for anything sinister, but because she wanted to acquire a family.   And once we saw her past I realized that, intentionally or no, that's exactly what she did get out of it!  

She was a homeless street kid, living with a group of pickpocket street kids, most likely an orphan.   And then all the other kids were killed.   But now, thanks to the memory wipe, she has basically been adopted by this crew of ... what do we call them, ex-mercenaries?   And she is part of the crew, they all care for each other, and need each other.  It is very much like she gained a family.  

And it's not like they're even treating her like some burden of a kid, she is fully part of their crew!   They even said in this episode, they can't spare her, they need her.  She is their tech monkey!  :cool:

I know they don't play games as often as she wants, but she has a place to be, a home and a family.   She didn't have that before.  :nod:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#23 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, I thought I might have said that before.  If it's true, it will be interesting to see how everyone reacts-- especially if it all leads to some kind of redemption for each of them.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#24 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

A few more funny moments that just have to be mentioned:

"But, it's Star Wars 36!  Remastered, in full VR ...  They say it's a classic!"   :lol:

Oh, and what Three thought "analgesic" sounded like!  :spew:  :howling:  And then gleefully eating everyone else's mealworms, after even Four lost his appetite!  :howling:

And also, the conversation where Three asks "What's Transfer Transit?"
So Five gives a big long technobabble explanation, because she "read the brochure".
And Three's response: "Ok hang on, just go back.  ... What the hell is Transfer Transit?"  :lol:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 08 August 2015 - 03:53 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#25 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

Also, some thoughts about Transfer Transit.

The cloning process is described as "flesh and blood 3D printing".  If they can do that, then it must be very simple to arrange for whatever clothing you choose to be waiting for you at the other end.

But I guess they couldn't send swords along, so Four had to use a gun!  :lol:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#26 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 08 August 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

Also, some thoughts about Transfer Transit.

The cloning process is described as "flesh and blood 3D printing".  If they can do that, then it must be very simple to arrange for whatever clothing you choose to be waiting for you at the other end.

But I guess they couldn't send swords along, so Four had to use a gun!  :lol:

SFG

Probably some legality issue on the weapons thing ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#27 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:44 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 08 August 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

"But, it's Star Wars 36!  Remastered, in full VR ...  They say it's a classic!"   :lol:
I was thinking about that. At one movie every three years, Star Wars 36-- or wouldn't that be Episode XXXVII?-- would come out in 78 years. Say they do the remastering thing on the 10th anniversary, that's 88 years.  That means this show takes place in less than a century.  Unless there's a few more huge gaps, like between the OT and the PT.  But, even so, it can't be that far ahead if relics of 20th century pop culture are still popular.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#28 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 09 August 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 08 August 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

I was thinking about that. At one movie every three years, Star Wars 36-- or wouldn't that be Episode XXXVII?-- would come out in 78 years. Say they do the remastering thing on the 10th anniversary, that's 88 years.  That means this show takes place in less than a century.  Unless there's a few more huge gaps, like between the OT and the PT.  But, even so, it can't be that far ahead if relics of 20th century pop culture are still popular.

Calling it a classic may mean it is 50 or 100 years old from when it original came out.  Gone with the Wind is about 75 years old. And the film industry isn't much older than that, maybe 30 years older than that. There is classic literature and music much older than that.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#29 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

For that matter, this may be from the second or third reboot cycle.

Let's face it, it's coming.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#30 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:10 PM

Hmm. They rebooted Star Trek into Star Wars, so maybe they'll reboot Star Wars into Star Trek.

Nah, it makes too much money.

#31 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,866 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 01 August 2015 - 01:18 AM, said:

One's paranoia about the cloning process was funny as well, especially since the tech just shut the lid on him mid-question. Can I say that I love that the cloning process requires the user to be in his underwear?

But if the clones are created naked and put on clothes that are already waiting for them, then why do their clothes disintegrate along with their bodies?

So androids in this universe don't usually have emotions? Or maybe some do but other's dont? Wendy had a personality and seemed to have emotions. Maybe the android just didn't expect to have them herself though she's been displaying them since episode one.

Operative word, "seemed." A pleasure droid would naturally be programmed to emulate emotions so as to be likeable and appealing. There wouldn't be much point in building a sex droid that didn't have the ability to pretend you were the most satisfying lover in the universe.

Still, I'm so sick of the "emotionless AI" cliche. There's no reason to think AIs couldn't have emotions. After all, emotions are the closest thing we have to programming -- they're automatic, hardwired responses to stimuli, rather than something we have to learn or that we can choose to experience. Instead of building AIs with no emotions at all, it'd make far more sense to instill them with emotions that guide their behavior the way we want -- e.g. experiencing great satisfaction at serving humans or revulsion toward the idea of harming humans.

Anyway, I recently binge-watched Red Dwarf, and I'm struck by how much the Android reminds me of Kryten. Like him, she's prim, friendly, and obedient; she has internal nanobots that repair her damage (see "Nanarchy"); she's jealous when a new female boards the ship and competes for her crew's affections (see series 7); and she's developing emotions and sees it as a corruption of her programming (see "Back in the Red"). And she's getting "weird" and quirky, not unlike the generally neurotic Kryten (though more early Kryten than the over-the-top version of series 7 onward). I'm curious to see what happens if she tries to lie. "It's a small, off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic warden!"

View PostCardie, on 02 August 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

It was a hoot that One angsted about all sorts of unlikely dangers of travel-cloning but never stopped to think that replication based on his DNA would reveal his real face.

Well, he's not very bright. :D Though in his defense, he didn't know enough about the method of impersonation to know whether that was even an issue. For all he knew, he was a natural doppelganger for Corso, or maybe the guy claiming to be the real Corso was lying.

View PostCybersnark, on 06 August 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

That artwork is beautiful. So I guess now the question is, do these panels represent actual settings/events in the Dark Matter universe? That second one (with the giant cherry trees) looks like property the Ishidas would own.

I wondered the same thing. If they are, though, I doubt the show will have the budget to actually go to those places.

View PostRJDiogenes, on 09 August 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

I was thinking about that. At one movie every three years, Star Wars 36-- or wouldn't that be Episode XXXVII?-- would come out in 78 years.

Except that Disney's current plan is to release a new movie every year, either in the main series or part of their "Anthology" line. We don't know whether the "36" includes just the core films or all the films. Also, of course, there was a gap of 16 years between the first two trilogies and a gap of a decade between the second and third trilogies. Film series wax and wane in popularity. It's probable that the future pattern will be the same as the past pattern -- periods of new content alternating with periods of dormancy. There's no way to estimate how long it'd take to get to the 36th film.

Although if we count all the announced upcoming films, that would mean there would be 12 films in all between 1977 and roughly 2020, a span of 43 years. That's an average of roughly one film every four years (43/11, if we start the count with the first film's release). If we project that average forward, then the estimated release date for the 36th film would be 137 years after the original film, or 2114. Depending on how long the downtimes in the series' future are, it could be decades before or after that. And of course, if it's a "classic," then it's probably decades old at the time of the episode.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#32 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostChristopher, on 12 August 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

Although if we count all the announced upcoming films, that would mean there would be 12 films in all between 1977 and roughly 2020, a span of 43 years. That's an average of roughly one film every four years (43/11, if we start the count with the first film's release). If we project that average forward, then the estimated release date for the 36th film would be 137 years after the original film, or 2114. Depending on how long the downtimes in the series' future are, it could be decades before or after that. And of course, if it's a "classic," then it's probably decades old at the time of the episode.
It could even be centuries or millennia old. For modern day humans, our concept of classic film is basically limited to the start of film as a medium (i.e. within the last 100 years or so). However, there are longer frames of reference for creative works. For example, to modern day humans, the Iliad and Odyssey are considered classics, even though they were written in the 700's BC (i.e. ~2700 years ago), and existed in oral form for another few hundred years before that (i.e. ~3000 years ago). The form we enjoy those works in isn't the original form in the sense that it's not oral, it's a book rather than a scroll, and the majority of modern people have probably read those works in translation, rather than in the original Greek.

So maybe in the far future, some of the most popular films from our near future will have a similar longevity as classic literature does to us: they will continuously be copied, translated, and converted to the latest format, and survive for hundreds or thousands of years after they were originally developed.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#33 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,866 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:38 AM

I don't get the sense that DM is thousands of years in the future. Although it's frustrating how little information there is about just when it does take place.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Dark Matter: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users