Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

A Google App to instantly translate signs!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

I must be behind on Apps, is this thing for real?  Because WOW!  :eek:

Is the TARDIS involved?!?  :D

SFG  :tardis:

edit: I wasn't sure if this should go here or consumer products.  So feel free to woosh if needed, but I'm more curious about what this app says about our level of "technological advancement".  ;)

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 03 August 2015 - 10:29 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

Apparently it's real, the description under the first video has links to the app stores!  :cool:

The Google Translate team tests their new app in 27 languages — you can download it on the Google Play Store (https://goo.gl/translateappandroid) and App Store (https://goo.gl/translateappios). To find out how instant camera magic works, watch this video: https://g.co/go/NLtranslate

(No engineers were harmed in the making of this video).

And, the last link goes to the second video.  ;)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

That's pretty wild. Is it only available for the Android or can we get it on the iPhone, too?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

The second link in the quote I posted goes to the apple app store!  Here's a link directly to that page!

We really are living in the future, aren't we!  :D

SFG :tardis:

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

Ohh, cool.  I already have that app.  I never even noticed the little camera icon.  I just tested it and it works.  :D
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Since I don't have a smart phone to carry around to translate signs, I'll stick with the old fashioned method of getting a phrasebook for the language of the country I'm traveling to and actually learning what the important signs say.  Hasn't failed me yet!
Cats will never be extinct!

#7 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

I think this is one of the coolest things ever.  This shows me that having a Universal Translator, like STAT TREK, may actually happen in my lifetime.

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

I thought I had it.  Tried to get it, got the Open think instead of Get. So I tried to open it, can't find it among my apps. My iPhone remains a mystery to me.  :rolleyes:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

Do you know how to search your phone?  Go to the home screen, and swipe down with one finger (from the middle of the screen).  :)

Does that work? :harper:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 15 August 2015 - 09:34 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

On mine it's just called "Translate."

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users