Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostJohn R. Sellers, on 11 August 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on 11 August 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostJohn R. Sellers, on 10 August 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

Not one tiny little bit, as the article YOU linked clearly indicates.  :rolleyes:

Typical. :rolleyes:

Should I consider it typical that some guy thinks a woman should be happy to be afforded such attention by some random stranger? Quite frankly, I'd like to see more of these jerks get pounded into snot, and I don't particularly care who does it.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#42 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:39 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 10 August 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

^ LOL. That was intended for the post/poster above you, John R. Sellers. Cross-post :)    
So, ironically, I was posting gibberish.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#43 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

View Postcade, on 10 August 2015 - 04:41 AM, said:

View Postgsmonks, on 10 August 2015 - 03:39 AM, said:

Speaking for all Canadian men, if a pretty girl ran up to me while I was working and gave me a harmless peck on the cheek, it would probably make my day.

That's great, but you don't get to decide how others should react. It's completely unacceptable what that guy did. Men should absolutely not be able to walk up to women and kiss them against their will. Sad that this even has to be said in the 21st century.

That's nonsense. He didn't "kiss" her. He gave her a harmless peck on the cheek. That's not the same thing.

See? You're using the same inflammatory language the PC types are using.

What's next? Freaking out and calling the cops on anyone who kisses a baby? Public displays of affection because some idiot decides they want to find it offensive? Which is really what we're talking about here- people getting THEMSELVES worked up over nothing, and trying to hijack everyone else into behaving like a moron, as they are.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#44 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 11 August 2015 - 08:13 PM, said:

a harmless peck on the cheek. That's not the same thing.

Who gets to say it's harmless? Not the perp, and not the folks who think they'd like to do the same stupid thing.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#45 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:20 PM

That's nonsense. He didn't "kiss" her. He gave her a harmless peck on the cheek. That's not the same thing.

What's next? Freaking out and calling the cops on anyone who kisses a baby? Public displays of affection because some idiot decides they want to find it offensive? Which is really what we're talking about here- people getting THEMSELVES worked up over nothing, and trying to hijack everyone else into behaving like a moron, as they are.

He touched his lips to her body against her will. That's a kiss and obvious sexual harassment. As Nonny said, it's not for you or the perp to say whether it was harmless. It's up to the actual person it was done to. She's not pursuing any charges and even said, "I really don’t want to see this kid lose out on future opportunities because of this." She just wanted a sincere apology and recognition that his action was inappropriate. Not just for herself but to stop this pattern of her colleagues being sexually harassed.

Edited by cade, 11 August 2015 - 10:22 PM.

#46 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:12 AM

Nonsense? Is it nonsense to have a right to one's own body? I have a personal space, if someone that I don't know invades that space, I react by moving away. If someone were to rush up to me, in a way that I don't know if it's threatening, I am going to react in a far different manner. Fight or flight responses can cause anyone to feel a sudden jolt of heart pounding fear. This is not something that anyone should be subjected to, even for something as simple as a peck on the cheek.

What stranger kisses random babies? If a stranger came up to kiss my baby, I would be blocking them and telling them: No! If a person went around kissing babies, then yes, the police should be called, because that is just an odd thing to do.

Public displays of affection are entirely different from a stranger rushing up to plant a kiss on an unwilling victim. In this instance, Megan Batchelor has resolved this with the young man, and hopefully, he has learned a valuable lesson. One which will someday cause him to think before he leaps and keep himself from getting into serious trouble.

You may feel it's nothing, but you don't speak for everyone.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#47 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,736 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

FWIW, many a young man believe that pretty girls were put on this Earth purely for their pleasure, and ought to welcome any and all attentions they deign to bestow upon them and defer to all their wishes.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case :crybaby:

Women are people who have their own preferences as to whose attentions they desire, and when and where such things are appropriate, and to whom they will or will not defer.

Consequently, it is only when the girl protests that a young man MIGHT catch on to the fact that what he did was inappropriate and apologize.  The problem comes when other guys refuse to recognize that an act of theirs might be unwelcome and accuse the woman of being stuck-up if she takes offense; excusing their behavior under the "boys will be boys" rubric.

It is much the same argument bullies make when their victims get upset by being bullied (e.g. "Can't ya take a joke?"); and then are shocked, SHOCKED when their victim either commits suicide, or comes into school the next day and shoots them dead.

Thus, to the bully, any expectation of decency, respect, and civility is branded as political correctness, all so that they can continue to act like the jerks they are.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 12 August 2015 - 02:46 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#48 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

I saw an article about Trump's bleeding from wherever comment and his political correctness "defense" that described (quite accurately imo) political correctness as consevative for doing or saying stuff thay shouldn't have been done or said.  I'll look for the link.

Edited by Bad Wolf, 12 August 2015 - 02:59 PM.

Posted Image

#49 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

Damn tablet.  I meant bleeding, not bleexing.  I guess there's no editing in OT?
Posted Image

#50 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostNonny, on 11 August 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

Not one tiny little bit, as the article YOU linked clearly indicates.  :rolleyes:

Should I consider it typical that some guy thinks a woman should be happy to be afforded such attention by some random stranger?

No, you should consider the FACT that this incident was no big deal, as others, including women, have pointed out on twitter.

And at least one woman agrees with me.
'
Attached File  Capture.PNG   36.78K   1 downloads

#51 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Here is the link:

http://www.politicus...r-wherever.html

And here is the quote:

Blood coming out of her wherever” was the coup de grâce of Trump’s 24 hour post-debate pity fest. Trump also called Megyn Kelly “angry”, which most women recognize as being misogynist for “strong”, and a “bimbo”.
Saturday morning Trump tried to explain away the blood comment, tweeting, “Re Megyn Kelly quote: “you could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever” (NOSE). Just got on w/thought” This was accompanied by much whinging about political correctness, which is conservative for being held accountable for things they shouldn’t have said or done.

Posted Image

#52 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

View PostJohn R. Sellers, on 12 August 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

And at least one woman agrees with me.
'

To you, and maybe to others, and that is fine for you and others, if that is what you want. But again, not everyone agrees. That is the part that is important.
Or do you suggest that a person, of either sex, is expected to just submit to any advance?
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#53 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 12 August 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

Damn tablet.  I meant bleeding, not bleexing.  I guess there's no editing in OT?

Yes, editing is allowed.

View PostBad Wolf, on 12 August 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

Here is the link:

http://www.politicus...r-wherever.html

And here is the quote:

Blood coming out of her wherever” was the coup de grâce of Trump’s 24 hour post-debate pity fest. Trump also called Megyn Kelly “angry”, which most women recognize as being misogynist for “strong”, and a “bimbo”.
Saturday morning Trump tried to explain away the blood comment, tweeting, “Re Megyn Kelly quote: “you could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever” (NOSE). Just got on w/thought” This was accompanied by much whinging about political correctness, which is conservative for being held accountable for things they shouldn’t have said or done.

Thanks for the link. I read that, too. I'm not buying what trump is selling.
El

#54 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,736 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

Just because some bystander might consider it an overreaction, doesn't mean that the person overreacted.

An overreaction would be her pulling out some mace, or pepper-gas, or even a gun and letting him have it.  Filing a complaint after having been molested on-air by a stranger who immediately fled ... not so much.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#55 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

If it was the work place and some guy, known or unknown, got in my personal space and kissed me, even a peck on the cheek, it would be sexual harassment.  It'snot about what kind of kiss.  It matters that some guy felt entitled to invade my personal space without invitation.  It is the same mindset that motivates all too many sexual assaults and it is not okay.
Posted Image

#56 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostElara, on 12 August 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

Or do you suggest that a person, of either sex, is expected to just submit to any advance?

If that's how you think of me, so be it.

#57 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

View PostG-man, on 12 August 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

Filing a complaint after having been molested on-air by a stranger who immediately fled ... not so much.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Really?  So if a strange woman came up to you, and gave you a harmless little kiss on the cheek, you would get the police involved?

Edited by John R. Sellers, 12 August 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#58 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:08 PM

View PostJohn R. Sellers, on 12 August 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

View PostElara, on 12 August 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

If that's how you think of me, so be it.

And if that is all you got from my post, then I suppose that is what you expect me to think of you.
El

#59 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:14 PM

View PostJohn R. Sellers, on 12 August 2015 - 07:45 PM, said:

View PostG-man, on 12 August 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

Filing a complaint after having been molested on-air by a stranger who immediately fled ... not so much.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Really?  So if a strange woman came up to you, and gave you a harmless little kiss on the cheek, you would get the police involved?

I'll try and explain and it's just my view. If we lived in a world/society that placed women and men on the same level, a society not permeated by paradigms that value women less than men, that still blame women when men attack them, that still encourge men not to respect a woman's personal space because women are viewed as sex objects or beings that should be subordinate to men, I think the "what if a woman did it to a man" question would be more apt. But we don't so it isn't.

Which does not mean there are not cases of women sexually harassing or assaulting men.  It's just that it' comparatively rare and not fueled by pervasive sexist paradigms.  

All that said, I'd be offended either way and it's my practice to ask before hugging people.
Posted Image

#60 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:53 AM

View PostNonny, on 11 August 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

Should I consider it typical that some guy thinks a woman should be happy to be afforded such attention by some random stranger? Quite frankly, I'd like to see more of these jerks get pounded into snot, and I don't particularly care who does it.

Do you ever listen to yourself? It was a harmless, innocuous, non-event. Your reaction is . . . well . . . insane.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sexual Harassment, Political Correctness, 2015

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users