Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:01 AM

Spoilers

Dark Matter 1-11, pic 3 smaller.jpg

Dark Matter 1-11, pic 11 smaller.jpg

The crew's youngest member and an unexpected surprise turn out to be their best chance in a race against time to retake the ship from a group of ruthless mercenaries hell-bent on delivering them to the Galactic Authority.

Promotional photo from www.farfarawaysite.com. :)
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

Wow, okay, a couple of interesting developments there, and some interesting character moments.  I will continue to bite my tongue.  :mellow:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

Good episode.

So Two is some kind of synthetically-created living organism, with repair nano-bots/nanites, to my understand. So, it appears that instead of being changed by the alien-tree-virus that her nanites just fought it off I gather.

I wonder what purpose two was made for?
- To simply advance synthetic organic tech.
- To be some sort of secret/advanced soldier/security personnel.
- To simply provide human-facsimile test subjects for some nano-bots tech?
(I doubt this one, but the fact that her healing seemed to be anomalous to her suggests that human compatible medical/etc nano-bots are not wide-spread/known legal tech. I would think the nano-tech in her shouldn't be that hard to make work for humans. Why not just do actually illegal human testing though, instead of doing the extra work, still illegal, in creating a synthetically organism for testing).

I wonder how she was came out initially, as in was she developed similar to normally organisms, going through life stages from embryo to baby to teenager to fully mature speciwomen. Or, from her personal perspective, did come into the universe as an adult.

The answer to that question could have other profound implications. If she was a child at some point, she may have, before the memory wipe, not even known what she was, depending on what plan her creators had, and/or whether she was hidden from them. Though, even if she managed to get through her childhood scrape-free, I doubt that she could have been a criminal or mercenary long without realizing her miraculous healing abilities. But even if so, that doesn't mean she had all the answers.

If she came into the universe as an adult, the only way she could not know is if when she first became conscious she assumed she had lost all of her life memories, and assumed that she had been a child before, but had forgotten.

Regardless of the exact history, she had to at least know of her healing ability. And that alone could give her motive to wipe everyone else's memories if the rest of the crew came to know and were weirded out with trust issues and/or maybe even willing to sell her out. She may or may not have been okay with her own memory being wiped. Maybe she thought they should all be tabula rasa ;)

HOWEVER, if Two has these nanites that can protect/heal her, could they not have help prevent the memory wipe and/or help restore her memory afterward?

If Two was an adult to begin with that may be used to explain away why Five hasn't come across many (any?) memories of note from Two. You have says 155 years of memories between the other five people, and maybe only 5 from Two (or less, or more). That is just over 3% of the memories in Five's head. Of course, maybe Two was created 100+ years ago and is essential immortal :D

Whether Two knew what she was or not, she must have know that hanging out with Mercs was a risky business, aside from the obviously reasons ;) but considering her healing ability would have gotten unwanted notice sooner or later. I read an interesting theory about that on-line. Remember the second episode when the miners said that they heard about a ship called the Raza crewed with dangerous lizard-like alien creatures? What if a/some corp(s) created a number of these synthetic human-like organisms, and were using them for illegal jobs require mercenaries? And the Raza's original synthetic crew had died (I expect they are killable, just takes extra work). So Two lost her 'family' (or killed her 'family'), and created a new one with the new crew, perhaps keeping up the work the corps demanded as risking failure was not a seemingly feasible option. Not everyone in every corp would have to know about the original Raza's crews original origins, so there could be some real plausible deniability with some matters of the corps' interactions with them. Might also explain random ships gunning for them, besides them being mercs.

Edited by sierraleone, 23 August 2015 - 09:25 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

This was a really strong episode. Lots of good action and character development. We also find out what Two is. I won't go over that again because sierraleone covered it in great detail all ready. Still, the implications of her being bio-engineered and able to heal from almost anything should make the rest of the show quite interesting as it raises a lot of questions.

Since I'm a big fan of One I was really happy with this episode because he got a lot of strong material. He was prepared to tell the mercs the truth about himself even if it made him expendable just to save Five from any torture/rape. His speech about how he was going to stand with the others, even though since he's not the real Jace Corso, was pretty moving. He may know that he originally went on that ship to kill Three but he still views them all as a family and will fight and die for them. His moment with Three about wanting revenge was great as well. Finally, at the end where no one else seems to trust Two and he stands up for her was great.

Two kicked a ton of butt this episode. She took down all but one of the mercs and all of the security forces from the company ship.  I knew she was going to space that merc at the end, and I was glad. The gut totally deserved it.

Five took her first life, or at least her first one since she awoke with no memories. It's possible she killed someone during her life on the streets, or in the corridors as it were. That's a pretty big step for her. I hope the last two episodes deal with it and the consequences from her doing it.

Holy hell. Whatever that device was or was intended to do, I did not see it obliterating a planet. That could be turned into an extremely powerful weapon. No wonder so many people wanted it.

I wonder how she was came out initially, as in was she developed similar to normally organisms, going through life stages from embryo to baby to teenager to fully mature speciwomen. Or, from her personal perspective, did some into the universe as an adult.

Good question. Was she made as a baby, or just created as an adult? I can see it both ways. If she was created as a baby, it would allow whoever created her to see how her synthetic self matured and if there were any problems during the process. However, the creator(s) might have wanted a full grown adult ready to do whatever she was designed to do.

HOWEVER, if Two has these nanites that can protect/heal her, could they not have help prevent the memory wipe and/or help restore her memory afterward?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the nanites didn't see the program that took her memories as a threat and so therefore didn't activate?

If she came into the universe as an adult, the only way she could not know is if when she first became conscious she assumed she had lost all of her life memories, and assumed that she had been a child before, but had forgotten.

She could have been given false memories of a childhood. I really want to know whether she was aware of what she was before the memory wipe.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,866 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:49 PM

This was a mix of good character moments -- the guys locked in the vault, mainly -- and missed opportunities for character moments. The Two revelation was handled a bit too cursorily, with the Android just info-dumping the whole explanation that she'd already known, and with little reaction among the crew. Five losing her blood innocence should've had followup -- killing for the first time isn't something you can just casually shake off.

Also, I really did not need to see a teenage girl threatened with rape. That added nothing to the story and was just unpleasant.

Too much of what happens on this show just feels random. The Macguffin they stole blew up a planet? That came out of nowhere. The problem with these characters lacking memory is that too much happens with no context. Same with the revelation about Two. She's a replicant supersoldier! It's a forbidden technology! Another thing that just felt thrown in out of nowhere. Sure, it was set up beforehand (and I'm so glad she's finally ditched that stupid bandage), but it's just one more of the random concepts tossed into this series without any sense of cohesiveness. It's so frustrating to go from Killjoys, where every story brings more insight into the rich, coherent worldbuilding that was clearly worked out in detail ahead of time, to Dark Matter, whose worldbuilding seems to consist of tossing sci-fi tropes together at random. (Not to mention tropes from other genres, like the incongruous samurai-movie medievalism of the Ishidas.) There's just no sense of purpose to it all, no sense that it fits together into a larger whole.

View Postsierraleone, on 23 August 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

Regardless of the exact history, she had to at least know of her healing ability. And that alone could give her motive to wipe everyone else's memories if the rest of the crew came to know and were weirded out with trust issues and/or maybe even willing to sell her out. She may or may not have been okay with her own memory being wiped. Maybe she thought they should all be tabula rasa ;)

Or -- maybe the people who made her wiped the other crew's memories when they placed her aboard, so that her being a blank slate wouldn't stand out as evidence of her newly-manufactured nature -- the "leaf in the forest" approach to hide something incriminating by losing it in a crowd. Maybe she's a replacement for the real Portia Lin.

Although now that I suggest it, I'm inclined to doubt it; she wouldn't have all that muscle memory for fighting techniques without past experience.

Unless they're connected to the cause of the memory wipe in the first place. Although it could just be that they're designed for physical healing rather than mental.

I read an interesting theory about that on-line. Remember the second episode when the miners said that they heard about a ship called the Raza crewed with dangerous lizard-like alien creatures? What if a/some corp(s) created a number of these synthetic human-like organisms, and were using them for illegal jobs require mercenaries?

I think that's taking the "lizard" rumor too literally. As soon as it was first voiced in episode 2, it was reacted to by the other miners with embarrassment and skepticism. It was just a rumor, the equivalent of present-day conspiracy theories like the Jade Helm craziness or UFO beliefs. Indeed, some present-day fringe conspiracy theories already involve lizard people.

Granted, though, the nanite coating that formed over Two's skin and eyes while she was in vacuum did give her a somewhat "alien" appearance.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 23 August 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

Still, the implications of her being bio-engineered and able to heal from almost anything should make the rest of the show quite interesting as it raises a lot of questions.

It can be tricky to write stories about an unkillable character, since it's hard to put them into peril. Although it is possible to make a character's indestructibility a source of trouble and angst in itself, as Torchwood showed (along with other series with immortal leads, I guess).

I knew she was going to space that merc at the end, and I was glad. The gut totally deserved it.

The writers went out of their way to make him as unsympathetic as possible so we'd react that way, but I disliked it because it compromised Two. If the good guys are no better than the bad guys, what's the point? I also disliked it because it was predictable and obvious. Too many writers still believe that going dark is worth it for the shock value, but TV writers have gone dark so often over the past decade or two that the shock is totally gone -- it's become the predictable, obvious move. It's no longer clever, if it ever was.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 23 August 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

Wow, okay, a couple of interesting developments there, and some interesting character moments.  I will continue to bite my tongue.  :mellow:

I finally saw this!  I await your thoughts!  :D

---

Wow.  I have a lot more thoughts about this ep than part one, but I haven't had time to process much.  I'll try to touch on a few things though.

I loved the guys woozily proclaiming it was up to them to save the day, while they were locked up.  Meanwhile, the women were outside, saving themselves and the guys too!  :D

Some really good emotional reactions when they thought Two was dead.  I really liked that Three was the first one to give up the code to save Two, and was the angriest at her apparent death.  (Even denying that he cared ... in between throwing things. :hehe: )

And yeah, creepy guy is creepy, that's for sure.

The other major aspects of this episode have already been covered, like Two's "biosynth" reveal, so I guess I don't have much to add.  But I also liked Three's line about One having not experienced a reason to want revenge, and One's response of "you'd be surprised".  :humble:

And it jumped a little abruptly to the shocking ending.  Did they even say who they finally decided to give the device to?

On to the final eps!  :D

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Okay, now we know that two is a manufactured person-- more like Heinlein's Friday than Trek's Data.  And she has not only quite an impressive healing ability, but those healing nanites can go on the defensive.  She didn't need to heal from her exposure to space because she never suffered any (or many) of the injuries a normal human would suffer. And how long can she go without oxygen?

One definitely got his heroic moment in this one when he was ready to give up his secret to save Five.

The other team of mercs, though, seemed too corrupt to be believable.  If they were that unreliable, they wouldn't get any contracts.  And if they have always been reliable, why choose now to go rogue.  A little too convenient, plot-wise.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 29 August 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

I loved the guys woozily proclaiming it was up to them to save the day, while they were locked up.  Meanwhile, the women were outside, saving themselves and the guys too!  :D  
I'm glad they didn't play up the 'boys vs. girls' thing too much. That would have been too condescending, and we get too much of that in the 21st century.

Some really good emotional reactions when they thought Two was dead.  I really liked that Three was the first one to give up the code to save Two, and was the angriest at her apparent death.  (Even denying that he cared ... in between throwing things. :hehe: )  
I really liked how One was able to inspire everyone.  It seemed like a little bit of his leadership abilities from being a CEO were coming through.  Most of the time he comes across as someone who is immature for his age, and not leadership material.

And it jumped a little abruptly to the shocking ending.  Did they even say who they finally decided to give the device to?  
I think they just went through with their original instructions to deliver it to a Combine lab.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Dark Matter: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users