Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:12 AM

Spoilers

Killjoys 1-10, pic 4 smaller.jpeg

Killjoys 1-10, pic 6.jpg

A friend who is close to the Killjoys is arrested by the Company in the Season 1 finale, which also finds Dutch and John compelled to choose a side as tensions boil over.

End of the season already!  :o

SFG

Promotional photo from www.farfarawaysite.com. :)
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,490 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

Too short a season.  To coin a phrase.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

They kept everything well paced enough this episode that I hardly noticed, but I definitely think this could have done with some breathing room and been a two parter. Sure they crammed everything in, but this could have been enough material for almost three episodes - helping Alvin, dealing the with nines, Westerly (?) getting bombed..... They touched on many each individual character points, of even supporting characters, but just touched on.

Feel so sorry for Da'vin, he just can't catch a break can he.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,096 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:53 PM

This was a really impressive finale -- really epic stuff. Everything came to a head at once, and it was a bit rushed, but it held together pretty well, and I really cared about what was going on with the larger political situation. Although it surprised me that the political business coming to a head kind of sidelined the whole Khlyen thing that seemed to be what we were building toward. As I feared, Khlyen wasn't dealt with for good and is going to continue to be a big bad.

So Level 6 and/or Red 17 is some kind of engineered supersoldier program. Is D'Avin going to be turned into one of them now?

I liked the bit where John recited the scarbacks' litany. Interesting detail -- it said the roots spread across space from "the world we've forgotten." That suggests this is a far-future setting where humans have been in space so long that they no longer remember where the race originated, like in Asimov's Empire/Foundation universe. Which is neat, but it would be easier to buy if there weren't so much 2010s pop music and slang in the show.

By the way, Michelle Lovretta has said that she's open to the possibility of a Dark Matter crossover. That would be tricky, I think, given that Killjoys does seem to be much more distant in time and space. Although it wouldn't be anywhere near as poor a fit as the enforced Eureka/Warehouse 13/Alphas crossovers from a few years ago.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#5 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

I hope there's more to what's going to happen to D'Avin than another round of super-soldier-ness (though yeah, it certainly seems like that).  I'd been looking forward to seeing more facets of him than just the "good soldier", once his original super-soldier arc had wrapped up.

I was hoping for another season already, but I do really NEED one, now.  They can't spend a whole season establishing a nicely detailed political status quo, wipe it all out in the finale, and not show us what's going to take its place.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#6 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:33 AM

View PostChristopher, on 23 August 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

By the way, Michelle Lovretta has said that she's open to the possibility of a Dark Matter crossover. That would be tricky, I think, given that Killjoys does seem to be much more distant in time and space. Although it wouldn't be anywhere near as poor a fit as the enforced Eureka/Warehouse 13/Alphas crossovers from a few years ago.
I think that, from what's been shown in both shows, Killjoys and Dark Matter could easily take place in the same universe. In both shows, big corporations rule everything (i.e. The Nine/The Company in the Killjoys universe, and the Ferrous Corporation, Mikkei Combine, et. al in the Dark Matter universe). Any differences in technological advancement could be explained away based on the fact that the various corporations don't share technology with each other.

Also, Killjoys has taken place entirely in one star system whereas Dark Matter has taken place entirely on space stations (and one planet which only had an R&D station on it), which makes it entirely plausible that they're in the same universe, and the space stations that the Raza crew have been to are just so far away from The Quad that they've never encountered each other (and never encountered the same big corporations) and technology levels are vastly different. I figure it's kind of like how, in our modern world, people in developed countries have near universal access to electricity and potable water, whereas people in the least developed countries don't have reliable access to either. Plus the big corporations are different even between developed countries, let alone between developed and least developed countries.

Edited by Raina, 02 September 2015 - 05:36 AM.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,096 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

View PostRaina, on 02 September 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

Also, Killjoys has taken place entirely in one star system whereas Dark Matter has taken place entirely on space stations (and one planet which only had an R&D station on it), which makes it entirely plausible that they're in the same universe, and the space stations that the Raza crew have been to are just so far away from The Quad that they've never encountered each other (and never encountered the same big corporations) and technology levels are vastly different.

I agree that they could easily be in the same universe. I've argued that myself. I just don't think they're in the same century, or even the same millennium. Dark Matter is in our galaxy, since it's used the names of real stars like Procyon and Vega, and it's near enough in the future that its characters are aware of 20th-century pop culture like Charlotte's Web and Star Wars. But Killjoys was established in the very first shot of the pilot as being in another galaxy, a bright orange spiral galaxy called the J Star Cluster. And the scarback monks' blessing says that they came to Qresh "from a home we've forgotten," implying that they're so far in the future that they no longer remember Earth as the origin world of humanity. Even if they are in the same universe, KJ seems likely to be thousands of years after DM.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Killjoys

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users