Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

Spoilers

Dark Matter 1-12, pic 5.jpg

Dark Matter 1-13, pic 6.jpg

The crew's handler sends them on a seemingly simple retrieval op that involves a scientist being held against his will on a remote world. This snatch and grab, however, quickly devolves into a horrifying ordeal, which reunites one member of the crew with a powerful individual from her past.

Personalities clash, long-held secrets are revealed and the crew members are rocked by a shocking betrayal in the Season 1 finale.

Look, it's Wil Wheaton and His Evil Beard of Evil!!!  :lol:   "Wil Wheaton and his diabolical beard make a guest appearance on Dark Matter’s season finale."  :hehe:

So, here is the two-parter to end season one of Dark Matter!  And by all accounts, it's going to be EPIC!!!  :woohoo: :bowdown: :fallover:

I will be watching this tomorrow, because tonight I have to catch up on the last two episodes!  :freakoutnonny:  :boogie:  And after I finish watching, I will be posting some fun behind the scenes tidbits from Joe Mallozzi's blog.  (Actually, I think I will start a thread just for the behind the scenes stuff, separate from our discussions.  :nod: )

SFG :harper:

Promotional photo from www.farfarawaysite.com. :)
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

*chants under breath*
It will be renewed ...  It will be renewed ...  It will be renewed ...  ;)

SFG  :hehe:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,407 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

Ooh, looks like she's added new sciencey bits to the goggles! Now they're even cooler!
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 28 August 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

*chants under breath*
It will be renewed ...  It will be renewed ...  It will be renewed ...  ;)
I hope it is.  I've become quite attached to it.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

In classic Agatha Christie country house murder mysteries, the guilty party often has seemed to be one of the killer's victims. I was so hoping it was 4, not 6.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,407 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostCardie, on 28 August 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

In classic Agatha Christie country house murder mysteries, the guilty party often has seemed to be one of the killer's victims. I was so hoping it was 4, not 6.

Six was a "victim" too, remember? Five found him unconscious in the corridor and screamed.

Episode 12 was decent, though it was very contrived that Two's creator waited to lure her into a trap until immediately after the crew learned her secret. What are the odds of that? Wil Wheaton was pretty good, though, playing a different character from the smug and obnoxious jerks that have become his specialty.

I didn't care for episode 13 much, though. Most of it was just tedious searching through the ship, a lot of padding and plot mechanics instead of the actual answers and resolution I was hoping for. I hate it when a season-long mystery or suspense arc ends with a cliffhanger that leaves things just as unresolved as they've been all season. It's redundant to end on a cliffhanger when the whole thing has essentially been a cliffhanger. And I think it's lazy writing when a show constantly uses teases and cliffhangers in place of actual endings. Stories like this are only satisfying if they have forward movement, if we actually get answers to reward our patience with the endless questions.

Basically, this was half a story dragged out to fill a whole hour, filled in with tons of searching and a lot of repetitive scenes of One mistrusting Three, Three mistrusting One, and Five mistrusting Two. It was just the same beats over and over again. And why did the One-Three rivalry suddenly reset itself to where it was before the past few episodes where they've bonded more? Why was Three suddenly so stupidly convinced about One being the traitor despite the total lack of evidence? I mean, seriously -- Three was keeping vigil on One's quarters when Six was (allegedly) attacked. He should've been the only one who could be certain that One wasn't the culprit. So having him continue his vendetta against One made no sense at all. It was really, really bad characterization.

And one more failure to advance the storyline -- they brought the One-Three conflict back to the fore but did not have One confront Three about the killing of Derrick's wife. This was the perfect time to bring that out into the open, to give us some real advancement of that story thread. There were so many conversations we could've been seeing instead of a bunch of searching corridors and crawling through vents and rehashing the same two damn conversations three or four times apiece.

We didn't even get a meaningful resolution for the season-long mystery of the memory wipe. We learn that Five did it, but we don't know how or why, and nobody but Six learns about it, so there's no resolution. Unless Six was lying and he was the one behind it, which I suppose is possible.

I'm not happy with Six turning out to be the traitor, but I don't know how to react to it in the absence of context, because we were given so very little to go on. Does this tie into the memory wipe, or is his betrayal some unrelated thing pertaining to his search for the General? I'm hearing suggestions that he's an undercover agent for the Galactic Authority, that he was also undercover in the terrorist organization (which would explain why he shot his "allies" in that flashback). I hope that's the case. I feel Roger Cross too often gets typecast as heavies, and he's done so well playing Six as a nice guy (and he really is like that in person, as I learned at the Shore Leave convention three weeks ago) that I don't want that to change. And I guess it makes sense. I'd forgotten that the ship at the end was a Galactic Authority ship. Plus, the fact that the drug in the water was just to knock them out rather than kill them is telling.

Still, we have to wait until next season to find out, and that's unsatisfying. A seasonal arc should have some actual resolution in the finale, not just come to a sudden halt and make us wait nine months for more.

I mean, the Killjoys finale last week had its share of cliffhanger elements, but it also had a lot of major things happening, arcs reaching climaxes, old status quos ending. There was a real sense of closure alongside the dangling threads. And it packed at least two episodes' worth of stuff into one, rather than the kind of homeopathic storytelling we got here. That was a good season finale. This one pretty much sucked.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

Just when you thought you knew some characters :D Great episodes. Lots of padding in the finale, but I liked the character moments that came out here and there in them.

So, lets start with what the reveal was at the end. Reveals are not necessarily all that revealing, unfortunately ;)

So Six orchestrated this whole episode. I did wonder at one point whether there is another mole/rat in the group, and Six only contacted the Galactic (sp?) Authority (G.A.) after hearing the recording that Five procured, while she was sleeping (and this is after the Android and Four were downed). Besides being too many twists, the fact is he would have had to likely find the poison that someone else used on Six, so he could use it on himself. It would be very convoluted. I watched the episode again, and did hear a sound before Six left Five's quarters, however he wasn't in the frame, it could have just been him doing something. Also, his conversation as he left her quarters, saying that he, and she, will be fine, pretty much cements it. Add in the conversation when they were doing their search of the station together, him saying that they couldn't change. Yeah, he betrayed them.

I guess the thing that made me wonder that is what motivated Six to do this. Regardless of his past (which I will speculate on further later ;) ), he doesn't remember it. So, without knowing what might have motivated old him, what might have motivated amnesic him? The belief that they are all, except five, dangerous? (and one, if he had known). I assume he is including himself, I wonder if he expects a reward/freedom for his betrayal, and/or he wants to pay for his own documented crimes? And if he is good, is he hoping that Two only gets incarcerated and not become a lab rat? Will he try to withhold that information from the G.A.? Was it not even so much about getting wanted criminals put away as much as trying to protect Five from these criminals? After that recording reveal it would not be surprising, but he obviously had doubts that these amnesic criminals had potential to be better people from his earlier talks, across various episodes.

The only way it makes sense is he was way more protective of Five (as in willing to risk the G.A.'s attention), and/or selfish, thinking it was a way out, negotiating his own freedom/pardon by turning the rest in, if he feels he can trust the G.A. And/or an old associate of his got in contact with him and revealed parts of his history that made this not just something he could justify but feel safe doing so. (Assuming he didn't get his own memory back).

If it is the latter, that someone who know him got in touch with him and got him to orchestrate this episode, that screams is spy/undercover cop. Makes me wonder if he turned undercover cop under duress/in recompense for his terrorist activities. His terrorist activities is the only memories we have of him. He could have possibly been an undercover cop at that time. If he is/was an undercover cop that could have given Two/Four motive to decide to kill him. Before I thought this all thru I thought Two/Four intended to kill One for his deception, but it could have been Six if he was discovered to be a cop.

So, to Five, it appears that she was 'saved' from being spaced when Six intervened. I could be wrong, but I don't see her deciding to do the memory wipe herself, at least if she thought about what the heck she would do with five amnesic wanted criminals after :D So I theorize she went to someone she trusted. Not Four, as despite him being the deciding vote to keep her, his voice was on the threatening recording. So Six, who made the first good impression on her on that ship, was a natural choice. If she went to him with that recording he may have come up with the plan and convince her to implement it. I expect they hoped that both of them would keep their memories. Heck, maybe they only meant to wipe One and Four's. Six probably thought they were discussing killing him, but it could have been One. In either case, a protective instinct and/or cop training, it had to be dealt with while keeping the civilian kid safe.

I wonder why the android was dragged off? Witness/evidence? Also, will the G.A. be interested in her supposed flaw in her emotion matrix?

Going backwards, episode 12. Lots of reveal about Two. Sounds as if she was created as an adult (most infants are incapable of killing people and managing any sort of escape ;) ). And will age normally going forward (though that seems to be an artificial limitation put in the nanite program). They seemed to imply she wouldn't exist without the nanites. They also implied she was superior, with superior organs. Not saying they necessarily contradict, but I am still wondering about her physical nature. Does she have organic tissues that can function without the nanites? I had initially figured they had tweaked DNA and did an entire human genome with the traits they wanted, most found in human DNA, but at the high end of the bell curve for specific functions, with maybe some artificial sequences. And the nanites were auxiliary, like insurance, as opposed to essential to her functioning. Did they get cadaver(s) and make her frankenstein-like? Or, besides the nanites, are there other (some, many?) in-organic technical components in her tissue?

I very much doubt she cares for her given name Rebecca anymore than her first assumed name Portia ;) Thought I figured out, after episode 11, that Portia was very likely an assumed name.

I wonder if Alex(?) knew about the treatment the scientist gave her before she tried to escape... Was that part of the test, or not? Would he have reacted poorly to hearing about that? We still don't know the reason she was created, but considering he doesn't like her being dangerous (or at least dangerous and not under his control), it seems warrior skills is not the goal. With the guy we saw talking to Alex at the end it seems to be an attempt at delaying death (or even coming back from the dead if they use cadavers for their research). I wonder if the same people were behind the immortality Tree-virus research ;)

We still don't know if Two is the one who procured the Raza and assembled the crew (and how, on both counts), even though I imagine that will be the default theory unless proven otherwise.

Edited by sierraleone, 29 August 2015 - 02:08 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

I missed the first ten minutes of the second episode because Space's broadcast frelled up the audio (there was music, but no dialogue or sounds).

Unless this is some subconscious programming or a memory that got triggered by something, this really doesn't jive with what we know of Six --unless he's turning on the crew as a way to get closer to the General or to keep them out of danger while he does it. Maybe he needs the GA's resources and had to sell out the crew to earn a favour.

It's possible that Alex has been looking for "Rebecca," and only just found out where the Raza is; the group has been trying to keep a low profile.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#9 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

View PostChristopher, on 29 August 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

I'm not happy with Six turning out to be the traitor, but I don't know how to react to it in the absence of context, because we were given so very little to go on. Does this tie into the memory wipe, or is his betrayal some unrelated thing pertaining to his search for the General? I'm hearing suggestions that he's an undercover agent for the Galactic Authority, that he was also undercover in the terrorist organization (which would explain why he shot his "allies" in that flashback). I hope that's the case. I feel Roger Cross too often gets typecast as heavies, and he's done so well playing Six as a nice guy (and he really is like that in person, as I learned at the Shore Leave convention three weeks ago) that I don't want that to change. And I guess it makes sense. I'd forgotten that the ship at the end was a Galactic Authority ship. Plus, the fact that the drug in the water was just to knock them out rather than kill them is telling.

Still, we have to wait until next season to find out, and that's unsatisfying. A seasonal arc should have some actual resolution in the finale, not just come to a sudden halt and make us wait nine months for more.

I heard someone referenced the conversation that Four and Six had on the shuttle in episode 12. Four referring to Six as passive-aggressive and not being happy with what happened with the White Hole incident and that if Six had wanted to stop them he could have done more, but he didn't.

It could be that Six decided Four was right, and the White Hole incident reminded him too much of the station bomb incident that he was involved in also. Even without himself having more context of his personal history to go on, he may have decision to turn them in, thinking they were getting as bad as the terrorist. Maybe because, regardless of what they wanted to do to become better, they were in a corner having to still merc to survive and were going to fall into old patterns.

That could also fall inline with him being a cop, whether he did remember/was reminded, or did/was not. But it doesn't have to.

Thinking on it more, I could see how the White Hole situation would be fairly upsetting for him, being partly responsible for an incident with a large body count of presumably largely innocent bystanders. And then continuing to hang out with these people, when last time that happened he killed his purported comrades for the blood on their hands?

- Masha Gessen

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,407 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 29 August 2015 - 02:07 PM, said:

It's possible that Alex has been looking for "Rebecca," and only just found out where the Raza is; the group has been trying to keep a low profile.

Yeah, but that happens immediately after the crew finds out Two is a replicant? That's an absurd coincidence. There's no causal connection between the event that led the crew to find out (Two being spaced) and the deal Rook made with Calchek (Hewlett's character) to send them his way. It's pure happenstance that Rook did that immediately after the crew found out rather than weeks sooner or months later.

And it's not only highly contrived, it's kind of a copout. No sooner do they give Two this existential mystery to ponder -- who created her and why -- that the answers are just handed to her without any effort on her part. That takes all the suspense right out of it. It's like having the murderer spontaneously confess one page after the detective arrives on the scene. It's like Indiana Jones being asked to search for the Ark of the Covenant and then finding it waiting on his porch when he goes home to pack.

Facebook Author Page

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

Six was a "victim" too, remember? Five found him unconscious in the corridor and screamed.

Yes, that was my point. There were two victims, Four and Six, and I had hoped the guilty party was Four, not Six.

I do think Six will turn out to have a noble motivation for this betrayal and will spring his colleagues in the end. There are lots of explanations for characters' actions but I do think what happened is clear. Five heard the threatening conversation and, in context, knew that Six was the target. Among other explanations for his actions, he could have wished to prevent the massacre of the miners. Five's dream images were all of Six being her champion, so it's not surprising that she would do something to try to save him. I think he knew what she had done before the memory wipe--a universal memory wipe not being her desired result.

Six as undercover for the GA makes the most sense. The question is how long he's been under.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,407 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

And did he really lose his memories with the rest, or did he have some means to spoof the Android's lie-detector abilities? (I wish they'd name the Android. I hate having to talk about her as a generic object rather than an individual. Even the others' numbers work better as names because they don't have articles before them. Besides, she's actually a gynoid.)

Facebook Author Page

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

View PostChristopher, on 29 August 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

And did he really lose his memories with the rest, or did he have some means to spoof the Android's lie-detector abilities?

I have seen some theorize that Six actually did the programming for the memory wipe himself, and had set up Five to be the fall person if people went looking for evidence. He might have figured or hoped no one would hurt the kid, and if someone seemed so inclined he would be there. Though I doubt he intended her to get their memories, or loose his own (if he infact did).

He did quickly think to ask her about her electronic files, and suggesting they look for a date-stamped one ;) And setting himself up to not be one of the first to wake to avoid suspicion.

If he knows enough about programming he might be the reason behind Android's fault in her personality/emotion matrix. I haven't even thought about the fact that Android woke up without her memory intact either, perhaps unintentional consequence of messing with her systems? Unless Two wasn't using Android pre-amnesia, since she had a pretty good handle on the ship systems.

(I wish they'd name the Android. I hate having to talk about her as a generic object rather than an individual. Even the others' numbers work better as names because they don't have articles before them. Besides, she's actually a gynoid.)

Do they use the article "the" before Android in the show? I certainly don't think they are doing it when talking directly to her, but I can't recall how they refer to her when talking about her.

I wonder if they sort of treat it like the Doctor from Doctor Who. Anyone talking to the Doctor just says "Doctor" but when talking about him with other people they say "The Doctor". Though, with a name like Doctor, already being a title and profession, it can be seem a little odd to drop the article. But with or without the article I could see confusion :) "So, I just came back from a visit with Doctor." "The doctor? Is everything all right?" "No. I mean yes. I mean I visited THE Doctor." "Thats what I said, are you sure you're alrigh...?" "THE DOCTOR *imitates TARDIS noise*" "Ohhhh. How that go? Any souvenirs?" :D

Edited by sierraleone, 29 August 2015 - 06:05 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#14 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

It was pointed out elsewhere the the man striding beside Six at the end was in the episode that Six try to get revenge against his Terrorist leader. Among the terrorist, IIRC.

It doesn't actually eliminate any theory. The man could have been undercover GA and try to recruit Six, a known criminal who is obviously feeling remorse for his time in terrorism. Or ask Six why he hadn't completed his deep undercover op with Raza yet, and/or just ask for a updated report.

For that episode alone I don't think Six had his memories... if he was deep undercover, with his memories, why would he go on this side vendetta, unless he had been planning it for a long time and he simply had an opportunity to do so now, in that episode? Maybe he was undercover and developed some sympathy for the terrorists, and starting to identify with them and their cause, until that bomb? Not that he couldn't feel bad for what happened even if he didn't sympathize/identify with his cover's fellow terrorists. I guess I am just use to undercover agents managing to stay more detached, as a stereotype in entertainment. At least the ones that are leads/protagonists.

Edited by sierraleone, 29 August 2015 - 06:20 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

Okay, so we are left with most of the old mysteries, and several new ones.  They better renew this puppy.

I'm not too upset at Six looking like a traitor, because I don't believe it. Given what we know of him-- unless his memories somehow got restored very near the end-- the cliffhanger is hard to parse.  He can't possibly have called 911 and turned them all into the Galactic Authority-- he would not have been strolling along with them as if he belonged, because they would have arrested him, too.  Unless he had been working for them all along, but, again, he wouldn't know that unless his memory were somehow restored. As far as we know, those memories are backed up in Five's head.  Since they allegedly found the program that she used, it's possible that he restored his own memories as she slept. That seems unlikely, though, and inconsistent with other events, since the Android and Four had already been immobilized. It seems more likely that the people he contacted were rebels masquerading as Galactic Authority.  That still leaves the question of motivation.

There is also some mystery surrounding Wil Wheaton's character.  Throughout most of the proceedings, he seemed the typical cavalierly amoral maddish scientist-- and, indeed, was willing to dismember Two when she "disappointed" him-- but that changed in the scene with the old man.  He just wanted to let her and the rest go, and seemed genuinely upset when he was told that they must die.  At this point, I'm assuming that the old man is his father and the purpose of the artificial person research is immortality.  Don't they have 3D organ printers in the future?

Oh, and the Android got her own moment of heroism when she dragged herself inch by inch through the dampening field to destroy the device-- which was really nice, but couldn't she have shot it or thrown something at it?  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,407 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:19 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 29 August 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

If he knows enough about programming he might be the reason behind Android's fault in her personality/emotion matrix. I haven't even thought about the fact that Android woke up without her memory intact either, perhaps unintentional consequence of messing with her systems? Unless Two wasn't using Android pre-amnesia, since she had a pretty good handle on the ship systems.

I don't believe there is a "fault." She's just growing beyond her expected parameters, and her diagnostic system interprets that as a fault because it doesn't know any better. (The corporation that programmed her software probably objects to it being modified in any way.) I'm reminded of the scene in Red Dwarf's "Back to the Dwarf" where Kryten was diagnosed as malfunctioning because he'd grown so far beyond his original parameters and learned to embrace emotion, neuroses, dishonesty, rudeness, and other human behaviors he was quite proud of. He, too, was offered a reset to his factory settings, and he refused.

Do they use the article "the" before Android in the show? I certainly don't think they are doing it when talking directly to her, but I can't recall how they refer to her when talking about her.

I wonder if they sort of treat it like the Doctor from Doctor Who. Anyone talking to the Doctor just says "Doctor" but when talking about him with other people they say "The Doctor".

Well, yes, that's how titles with articles are always handled in English. Jimmy Olsen calls Perry White "Chief" when addressing him and "the chief" when talking about him. Spock calls Kirk "Captain" when addressing him and "the captain" when speaking about him. Nobody would use the definite article in direct address, only when speaking about the title-holder. That's just basic English grammar. (This was actually a gag with the character of The Duke in Avatar: The Last Airbender. People kept addressing him as "Duke," but he insisted that they address him as "The Duke," which left them nonplussed because it's not supposed to work that way.)

And yes, the same pattern holds here: they talk about her as "the Android" but address her as "Android." The difference between that and something like "Doctor" or "Chief," though, is that "android" isn't an earned title, it's just a generic description of her category. It would be as if Spock were only called "the Vulcan," or "Vulcan" to his face. It's depersonalizing. The other characters' numbers are not dehumanizing in the same way, because they're essentially used like names. Calling the android just "the Android" would be like calling Three "the mercenary" or Five "the kid," and never calling them anything else. Even calling the Android "Seven" would be an improvement -- although I'm sure they won't, since that would seem too reminiscent of Seven of Nine from Voyager. Hmm... maybe they could call her "Zero." Although that could be interpreted as quite devaluing in itself.

Edited by Christopher, 31 August 2015 - 08:21 AM.

Facebook Author Page

#17 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

It was pointed out elsewhere the the man striding beside Six at the end was in the episode that Six try to get revenge against his Terrorist leader. Among the terrorist, IIRC.

It doesn't actually eliminate any theory. The man could have been undercover GA and try to recruit Six, a known criminal who is obviously feeling remorse for his time in terrorism. Or ask Six why he hadn't completed his deep undercover op with Raza yet, and/or just ask for a updated report.

For that episode alone I don't think Six had his memories... if he was deep undercover, with his memories, why would he go on this side vendetta, unless he had been planning it for a long time and he simply had an opportunity to do so now, in that episode? Maybe he was undercover and developed some sympathy for the terrorists, and starting to identify with them and their cause, until that bomb? Not that he couldn't feel bad for what happened even if he didn't sympathize/identify with his cover's fellow terrorists. I guess I am just use to undercover agents managing to stay more detached, as a stereotype in entertainment. At least the ones that are leads/protagonists.

Ive been thinking that we don't know for sure that it was the Galactic Authority that captured them as the goons in black don't exactly look like official police types even if they are some kind of special tac unit, also as was mentioned in six's flashback the terrorist group managed to steal a GA cruiser. This could well be part of Six trying to buy his way back into the terrorists good books as part of a bigger plan.
"We are mighty because we are right, Garviel. We are not right because we are mighty. Vile the hour when that reversal becomes our credo."  - Horus Rising

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:14 AM

Hello Doppleganger, welcome to Exisle!  :D

Sorry I haven't posted my review yet, but it's going to be long.  :) Right after watching I typed some notes, just the highlights of all the thoughts I had.  And it was a long list!  :oh:  I just haven't had a chance to write it all out yet.  :p

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

^^  Well, we're pretty anxious, you know.  :D

View PostDoppleganger, on 06 September 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

also as was mentioned in six's flashback the terrorist group managed to steal a GA cruiser.
Good point. I had forgotten that.  Now I'm completely convinced that those weren't Galactic Authority at all.

#20 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 09 September 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

Hello Doppleganger, welcome to Exisle!  :D

Thanks for the welcome been a longtime lurker and finally got round to making a profile :)
"We are mighty because we are right, Garviel. We are not right because we are mighty. Vile the hour when that reversal becomes our credo."  - Horus Rising

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Dark Matter: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users