Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvels Agents of SHIELD Marvel TV

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,525 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:05 AM

Season 3 of Agents of SHIELD begins tonight on ABC, 9pm EDT.

I'm certainly looking forward to it.

When a new inhuman is discovered, Coulson and the team have an encounter with another organization seeking powered people; Fitz goes to extreme measures to determine how to get Simmons back.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 29 September 2015 - 07:20 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

Sweet! :thumbs-up:  I hope they get Gemma out of the goop pronto.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:47 PM

Simmons!   Where is that?!? :eek:

Oh goodness, Fitz!  :oh:

And where has May got to?

Any guesses on fringed lizard guy?  Is he an actual alien?

Hunter and Bobby angst.  Ouch.  

I keep forgetting about Coulson's hand.   And we have to call Skye Daisy now.  

And back around to Fitz.  From badass, all the way to emotional wreck.  It's cool that he reads Hebrew, but damn!  :(  (And were those guys supposed to be ISIS or something?)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,601 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:57 PM

Not ISIS. She's not on Earth. The planet had two moons. She apparently got sucked through a wormhole.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:25 AM

Oh, yeah, that's not what I meant.  :)  

I meant the museum robbers that Fitz got the scroll from.   Though thinking back, that was Morocco wasn't it?  Does that mean it was someone else?

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,525 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

What was stated was that the scroll was looted from an Iraqi Museum, and ended up in their hands.  My impression was that they were black-marketeers.

Still, it looks like Fitz, in his obsessive search for answers for Simmons disappearance has successfully overcome his aphasia.  Is aphasia a condition that can be cured?

Anyhow, we had some interesting developments in this episode.

The Terragen crystals are now present in the ecosystem result in t spontaneous creation of more Inhumans.  Thus far, SHIELD had been aware of six instances, the five that the Advance Threat Containment Unit (ATCU) had "neutralized" and the one they had extracted.

Skye Daisy and Mack are now acting as e "Welcome Wagon" for SHIELD, flying around in a quin-jet and Bus 2.0.  While SHIELD is taking a more "wait and see" approach, versus the ATCU's shoot on sight mandate, they still come across a bit like a "kinder and gentler" ATCU.  At least with Daisy, they're also trying to get the newly transformed some help,even going s far as attempting to recruit Lincoln (who is still dealing with the feelings of betrayal by an Inhuman Elder) to assist.

The ATCU, under the control of Ms. Rosalind Price, was apparently created in response to, or in the wake of, the collapse of SHIELD and has been charged to contain the rise of the Inhumans.  It apparently has more resources to draw upon, and is superior in subterfuge to our SHIELD folks, who still hold the advantage in weapons, and gadgets, and things -- despite Rosalind's access to DARPA's inventory and research -- as well as experience in dealing with the extraordinary.  Of course, Rosalind's contention that SHIELD is officially defunct and disbanded does raise the issue of just how did SHIELD manage to acquire its Bus 2.0, and new facilities, when the last we saw of SHIELD, it was still scavenging its stockpile of equipment that had not been seized by the Defense Department. Then, given that the [white] POTUS utilized the same phrasing in describing ATCU's mission that Rosalind used, the implication is that here's yet another shadowy organization that does not have to report to anyone, leaving it free to pursue its own agenda.

Still, I liked the whole "are we through with the playful banter, and are now being honest with each other" bit that revealed that there was a third-party (personified by Lash) at work targeting Inhumans.

Finally, it looks like Bobbi and Hunter are definitely seeking Ward and the whereabouts of HYDRA, even as they argue about tactics, timing, and misconceptions.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostG-man, on 30 September 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

What was stated was that the scroll was looted from an Iraqi Museum, and ended up in their hands.  My impression was that they were black-marketeers.

Ah, it must have been the "looted from an Iraqi Museum" part that made me think that.

Anyhow, we had some interesting developments in this episode.

The Terragen crystals are now present in the ecosystem result in t spontaneous creation of more Inhumans.  

Yeah.  And fish oil is just the first way people have begun to come into contact with it.  I imagine next we'll have people transform when eating fish at restaurants, or a shrimp platter at a party, or lobster etc.  And in remote fishing villages, and on and on.

Thus far, SHIELD had been aware of six instances, the five that the Advance Threat Containment Unit (ATCU) had "neutralized" and the one they had extracted.

Though it turned out that the ATCU had gotten there late too.  They didn't neutralize anyone, they just found the bodies after the fact.

The ATCU, under the control of Ms. Rosalind Price, was apparently created in response to, or in the wake of, the collapse of SHIELD and has been charged to contain the rise of the Inhumans.  It apparently has more resources to draw upon, and is superior in subterfuge to our SHIELD folks, who still hold the advantage in weapons, and gadgets, and things -- despite Rosalind's access to DARPA's inventory and research -- as well as experience in dealing with the extraordinary.  Of course, Rosalind's contention that SHIELD is officially defunct and disbanded does raise the issue of just how did SHIELD manage to acquire its Bus 2.0, and new facilities, when the last we saw of SHIELD, it was still scavenging its stockpile of equipment that had not been seized by the Defense Department. Then, given that the [white] POTUS utilized the same phrasing in describing ATCU's mission that Rosalind used, the implication is that here's yet another shadowy organization that does not have to report to anyone, leaving it free to pursue its own agenda.

I noticed that Rosalind said that she answers to no-one, that people answer to her.  And I think Coulson noticed too, because when the President used the same phrase she had, Coulson's reaction made me think that she had taken the lead, and the President was just following her suggestions.  She has a lot of influence, and she's using it.

Still, I liked the whole "are we through with the playful banter, and are now being honest with each other" bit that revealed that there was a third-party (personified by Lash) at work targeting Inhumans.

I liked that bit too. "Wait, when did we start being honest?" LOL!  :lol:

And once again, I know nothing of the comics.  Care to fill me in on Lash?  :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,525 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

From my research (I spotted an article (which I now cannot find) that summarized his history in the comics):

Spoiler

And that's it in a nutshell.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

Then, given that the [white] POTUS utilized the same phrasing in describing ATCU's mission that Rosalind used...

That was President Ellis (William Sadler), who was first seen in Iron Man 3 and briefly glimpsed as a target of Project Insight in The Winter Soldier.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#10 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:38 PM

Looks to me like Simmons is on one of the moons of the bigger planet.

Great way to start the season.

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

I enjoyed the episode. That said, it was a bit uncomfortable to watch the show pivot to an X-Men-style narrative architecture focused around the emergence of new Inhumans. I mean, that's what was on deck at the end of last season for sure, and I think they're doing it pretty well, but it's hard to overlook that the most basic-level driver here is a pretty cold-blooded business decision made by Disney to degrade the value of Fox's X-Men license - and therefore, of Disney's own X-Men comics - and that leaves a sour aftertaste in my mouth.

In 10-20 years, will the X-Men even exist as popular content in any form? I mean, I get it but - oh well. Good premiere, anyway. Loved Constance Zimmer.

Edited by BklnScott, 01 October 2015 - 09:35 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,525 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:58 PM

Well, another way to look at it is that they consider the X-men narrative to actually be vital to the Marvel Brand, but must adapt it due to business decisions made years ago which resulted in them selling the film/TV rights to the X-men (before Disney acquired Marvel).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:58 PM

^Except that even in the comics, Marvel is currently building up the Inhumans more and marginalizing the X-Men. They've literally just begun a storyline in which it's revealed that Terrigen is toxic to mutants, and new Inhumans are springing up all over while mutants are dying off. Of course, there have been two or three existential threats to mutant survival in the past couple of decades of the comics already, but this time it's a little on the nose. And there's no reason to marginalize the X-Men (or the Fantastic Four, who are currently disbanded) as far as the comics themselves are concerned, since the comics' publisher naturally retains the publication rights to the characters in comic-book form. The way a lot of people are reading Marvel's recent creative decisions is that they're deliberately refusing to do anything to promote properties whose movie rights are in other hands. Which makes little sense to me, since the comics' sales are an inconsequential fraction of movie profits, but allegedly the word from on high is that Marvel Comics is only supposed to play up the characters that Marvel Entertainment has the movie/TV rights to.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostG-man, on 30 September 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

From my research (I spotted an article (which I now cannot find) that summarized his history in the comics):

Spoiler

And that's it in a nutshell.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Thanks!  :D

View PostChristopher, on 30 September 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

Then, given that the [white] POTUS utilized the same phrasing in describing ATCU's mission that Rosalind used...

That was President Ellis (William Sadler), who was first seen in Iron Man 3 and briefly glimpsed as a target of Project Insight in The Winter Soldier.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that!  :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

Hey, there was a line when they were investigating Rosalind.  Someone called her the "Mystery girl", and Coulson said "I'm sure she would prefer 'mystery woman'".

Did anyone else think that was a joke on the Supergirl ads they've been showing?  :lol:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

^No, it's a pretty commonplace thing, "girl" vs. "woman."

I think the problem is that the language has so many phrases that are "(something) man," and we're used to hearing them with a one-syllable word there, so "girl" fits the rhythm better than "woman." Plus it's shorter and easier to say. But that clashes with the often undesired connotations of using "girl" instead of "woman."

Facebook Author Page

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Well, I thought that was a very good premiere. It was nice to see the gang again, except for May. I hope she has something big coming up to compensate for being left out. I was surprised to see Coulson walking around armless so much-- although having a prosthetic didn't slow him down on the train.

Daisy and Mack make a good team. And Daisy seems to be looking hotter than usual this year. That was quite a nice little superhero battle they had at the hospital with the funny-looking man.

Poor Fitz is not dealing well. That was a cute little James Bond adventure he had in the Middle East, but I could really feel his frustration at the end. I hope he and Gemma finally get together after all this.

And it looks like we have an interplanetary adventure in store for us. Woohoo. :thumbs-up: I wonder what, or who, Gemma is running from....

Edited by RJDiogenes, 02 October 2015 - 05:44 PM.

Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#18 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostChristopher, on 01 October 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

The way a lot of people are reading Marvel's recent creative decisions is that they're deliberately refusing to do anything to promote properties whose movie rights are in other hands. Which makes little sense to me, since the comics' sales are an inconsequential fraction of movie profits,

It makes sense to me from a business perspective. Disney would have to be run by fools to let its wholly-owned comics division keep stocking a major competitor's pipeline. Disney and Fox are fighting a not-so-secret secret war over their Marvel properties, and Disney is winning - perhaps as much through unforced errors on Fox's part. If FF had done well, I think there would have been a major escalation. Instead, Disney is pressing its advantage: rumor has it they are currently stymieing Fox's plans to launch a high-school show set at Xavier's (aka The New Mutants).  

Imagine what inter-studio relations would look like if Sony's last Spidey film hadn't sent them running into Kevin Feige's waiting arms…

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users