• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AngelHeart

AngelHeart
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:14 AM

Hello all,

I was recently convinced to set up a web site and try selling some of my prints online. Seemed like an easy enough task. I designed a couple of web sites years ago from the ground up using nopCommerce. On top of that, about a year ago some friends of mine paid me to create a website for their coffee shop (it started out as just a paid photoshoot of the shop). I told them I wasn't a web designer but they wanted something simple that they could take control over anyway. After searching around for the easiest solution, they decided they liked Wix.

Now, I'm thinking to host my ecoomerce site online, as I said above I have quite good experience in using nopcommerce. I'm searching which is the best option to host my nopcommerce site. Below are the requirements that I've been researching:

1. Want to host multiple sites
2. I want a web hosting provider which located their data center in europe
3. Latest nopCommerce version
4. 24/7 online support
5. My budget is about €5.00

I found via google and I see that hostforlife.eu support nopCommerce hosting and they have multiple datacenters in Europe. Anyone have experience with this hosting provider? Or other great recommendation maybe?

#2 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

Hi and welcome AngelHeart to ExIsle.

I'm afraid I can't help you much, but hopefully someone will be able too.  I'm a bit of a noob, but I talked often with many of the web designers who have roamed the halls here.  One (who's moved on) had told me that when accepting payments and financial transactions, the amount for the web services grows dramatically as they have to keep up on security patches and so on.  Simply setting up a website (I've done that myself) is relatively easy, but the security bit encryptions are vastly different.  I might be talking out the other end here, but that's what I was told (and it made sense to me).

Are you looking at 5 Euros a month or in total?
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#3 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

I don't know that hosting company personally, but your budget is way too small.
You may get single site hosting for that much per month, but then there's the domain name purchase and annual renewal, and all the other stuff to keep your site backed up and secure. They could treble that or more depending on the letters after the dot.

I see that company you mention offers a basic personal package for €3 per month, but that's on a 3 year contract. Do you want to be tied into one package (which might not be suitable for a small business) for that long? Read the tiny, tiny print before you go click anything important.

Good luck with your enterprise!
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#4 AngelHeart

AngelHeart
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:37 AM

Hi FnlPrblm and Chakoteya,

Thank you for your response. I'm really appreciate it. Yes, I'm looking around EUR 5.00-10.00/month to host my ecommerce site. I have contacted their team and they suggest me to use their economy plan to run ecommerce site. Does ecommerce site really require high resource to run? Which is best option if I need nopCommerce to run? I found their site via google and saw many good reviews about them. The interesting point that this provider really focusing on asp.net so that makes me convince to choose them.

If you have other suggesstion, please let me know. Thank you

#5 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:00 AM

You're welcome AngelHeart.  Good luck with your endeavor.

When you're asking about high resources, are you talking bandwidth or security?  Security I would say most definitely.  Bandwidth on the other hand would depend on what you're selling, how you setup your site (the content you provide such as videos and any pictures will drastically jump every potential customer who crosses your site).  Also, it depends on the amount of people who do swing by.  For that, it takes all kinds of linkages and connections into other groups who are in your same realm.

I tend to babble, so I fore-apologize for it.  Just some ideas here:

Say for example, your images your selling are of The Eiffel Tower.  You've covered the magnificent structure from head-to-toe and have 100 plus images of it.  Problem is, if you post all 100 images across the site as graphics, it's easy for someone to just simply save them and print them off themselves.  That would suck and ruin your business.  It also would kill your data after enough people would come by and open them all up.  You should consider finding a code for making a virtual photobook.  One that when a customer clicks on it, it opens the book and browses through (some even have a index that shows you thumbnails and the person then can click on individual photos [hopefully with a watermark you have on it]).  This will be a larger bulk of data than someone just swinging by and opening one picture, but it will be a lot lot less harsh on those who browse through the many.  So this helps in both security and data usage.  :)

Again, I've never done a site that sells anything.  So I'm not in the knowing of how the transaction stuff takes place.  Would you be able to setup a site that accepts credit cards (securely on top of it) or do the hosts help set that up for you and provide a way of you accepting payment?

Just a thought, which you might have already have had.  You may also want to consider branching out to not simply selling prints, but other lines of printed materials with said images. :)  For example, design simple postcards with your images.  Or maybe wedding invitations with part of your images on the card.  If you have a compatible printer and access to printable magnets, attempt those. :)

Also, see if there is a local shop of any sort that might be willing to sell your stuff, provided you bought some space on a rack or wall.  Shouldn't cost much (or if you had to, offer a split of profits instead of an upfront fee.  However, this is a lower than ideal agreement for both of you.  They possibly won't sell, so the shop owner won't bite...too much of a risk.  But if they're a hit and you sell a lot, you lose out.)  The benefit would be that they are more exposed to buyers than a site on the internet.  This idea is simply an addition to the online idea.

Going back to what Chakoteya was saying/asking, their site was looking at a three year contract.  So that will be at minimum 288 Euros for that Economy plan (at 8 Euros a month) [or 132 Euros for their year long 11 Euros per month plan].    That is in addition to buying the actual domain name for that time period.  (Which is the cheaper part, but still a cost.)
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users