Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvels Agents of SHIELD Marvel TV

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,654 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

Fitz and the team ask an Asgardian for help unlocking the secrets of the monolith that swallowed Simmons; May comes to a crossroads.

This looks promising.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 06 October 2015 - 08:09 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:49 PM

I'm hoping Fitz gets a chance to say, "My god, it's full of stars."
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

I met both those actors from 2001:  A SPACE ODYSSEY at DragonCon last month.

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

Ooooh, really FarscapeOne? I wish I could have gone.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:37 PM

Had a good conversation with both.  Gary had a cool relationship with Gene Roddenberry, partly from his days on THE LIEUTENANT.

And Keir and I were conversing about THE STARLOST days.

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,654 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

That was certainly gratifying.  I'm glad they continue not to string things out and bring fairly quick resolutions to cliffhangers, all the while managing to cram in a lot of character moments as well.

However, it seemed that this episode was something of a Holiday or our heroes, as it detoured around the issues raised last week with Ms. Rosalind and her Advanced Threat Containment Unit (ATCU), Lash, and the Inhumans question, choosing instead to focus on the Kree Monolith and recovering Simmons, finding out what happened to May and to Ward, and addressing just how in the dark Coulson is regarding his core team's extracurricular activities.

That said, being a FitzSimmons-shipper, I'm glad that they did go this route.  

I liked that the brought back Asgard's most personable émigré, Professor Elliot Randolph, to provide some insight to the "Machine" in question.  That Fitz's acquisition from last week held the clue, which led to the discovery of the chamber, which was atypical for the time period it was built, leading to Fitz's epiphany was adroitly handled.  It makes sense that someone who's been around for centuries would pic up some arcane trivia, but still miss stuff is a pleasant revelation.  Of course, give that months had passed on Earth since Simmons was swallowed, and given the apparent barrenness of the world Simmons was trapped on, I do have to wonder how she had survived with nothing but a sharp stick to work with.

Meanwhile, Skye Daisy is trying to assemble her task force, while Dr. May's-Ex (aka Dr. Garner) is advising patience and delving into her motivations was ... admittedly awkward.  That Daisy recognizes just how traumatic "the change" can be, especially to the unprepared, makes sense.  That she also wishes to give them a Raison d'Etre in addition to a relatively safe venue to learn to manage their new abilities, ummm ... not really sure what make of that.  Best case scenario is that she hopes that the actions of a frightened society won't turn the Inhumans sour on Humanity.

Finally, we have Ward, and his scouring of HYDRA, to create a leaner, meaner, and more focused organization proceeds apace, with his recruitment of Werner von Strucker (Baron von Strucker's son), and Werner's insertion into Dr. Garner's psych-class.  It looks as if, while Hunter and May are gunning for Ward, HYDRA is gunning for May.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 07 October 2015 - 10:04 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

It is possible that it may only be a few days or hours have passed for Simmons where she is at, even though months are gone here.

Either that, or maybe her half of the story is being told more slowly, as in we see her from actually months ago.

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,654 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

I'm anticipating that her experience will be related through disjointed flashbacks as she decompresses from her adventure and must readjust back into her old life.

However, what I'm looking at is when she emerges from the rubble of the monolith, and later awoke in the recovery ward, though bruised and battered, she still appears relatively well nourished, admittedly I don't expect the actress to undergo deprivations for the sake of the script, but I'd think that some make-up to make her look more haggard, even while sleeping, would not have been out of place.  

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, I don't think the story of Simmons' adventure is over. Unless time passed differently, she was able to survive on that world for months-- and she was running from something the last time we saw her.  And, anyway, they wouldn't have sent her there just to bring her back and forget it. The incident has to have some significance in the overall arc of SHIELD.  That's why I was so surprised that they actually destroyed the monolith.  Although I suppose it's possible that the pieces of a pulverized monolith may have some use.

Anyways, hopefully Fitz and Simmons will now finally get together.  The actor who plays Fitz certainly put on a memorable performance the last couple of episodes.  I also loved Hunter's reaction to the news that Simmons was back.

And the expatriate Asgardian is always fun:  "To the plane!"   :lol:

View PostFarscapeOne, on 06 October 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

And Keir and I were conversing about THE STARLOST days.  
Nice. I actually have The Starlost on DVD. Even when it was first on the air, I knew it was crappy, but I still liked it. For a while, every time I walked through a doorway I did the key-and-keypad routine.

Point of trivia, assuming my memory is correct:  The line "My god, it's full of stars" was never spoken in 2001-- it only appeared in the book.  However, a recording of Bowman saying those words did appear in 2010.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#10 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:24 AM

I have THE STARLOST on dvd, as well.

And I am quite aware that the phrase was not used on 2001... but since 2010 and 2001 are linked, I figured on mentioning it.

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

Have you ever read The Lost Worlds of 2001 by Clarke?  It's mostly about the making of the movie, but it's got a lot of deleted chapters from earlier drafts of the novel, including a bunch where Bowman gets a grand tour of the alien civilization behind the Monolith.  It's amazing stuff.  If you like Clarke and/or 2001, it's worth tracking down.

#12 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,139 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

I must have listened to Fitz yelling at the monolith at least 3 times last week but I couldn't understand what he was saying.  Then I forgot about it until I saw the beginning of this weeks episode.

What the heck was he saying when he was yelling?

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

^ I think he was yelling "Do something!"

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:54 PM

That is what he was saying over and over again as he got madder and madder.

#15 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,654 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

Thinking back on May's disappearance, it occurred to me that this wasn't the first time she had done something like this.

First, it was dealing with what happened in Bahrain - she withdrew from fieldwork, and transferred over to Administration.  It took her a long time to pick herself up, and that was due to Fury and Coulson's prodding;

Then, it was dealing with Coulson's reaction to her "betrayal", and her leaving without a word to the team.   Admittedly, she immediately picked herself up in order to find the answers that Coulson was seeking;

Finally, there was this last time ... as with Bahrain she needed time and prodding (this time from Dad and Hunter) in order to pull herself together and get back into the action.

So, this was not totally out of character for May, and I'm willing to bet that Coulson knew this and allowed May the space and time she needed, even as he missed having her around.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 08 October 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

^ I think he was yelling "Do something!"  

View PostFarscapeOne, on 08 October 2015 - 11:54 PM, said:

That is what he was saying over and over again as he got madder and madder.  
Yeah, exactly.  He reminded me of myself when my Internet is slow.

#17 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

G-man, that makes a lot of sense.  :)

Great episode:  Brilliant rescue of Simmons, heroic Fitz, the Asguardian is hilarious, and Coulson is still calling Daisy Skye!  :hehe:

"Amazon woman and robot hand".  :howling:

May's father cracks me up!  :lol:  And May and Hunter make an interesting pair.  :)  And it's good that she has someone there.  

And Ward ... Ward is more unpleasant than ever.  Just urg.  :(

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#18 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:21 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention Ward.  Seriously.  He's over.  Time to get rid of him, guys.  Good-bye, Ward.

#19 miketom

miketom
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PostG-man, on 09 October 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:

Thinking back on May's disappearance, it occurred to me that this wasn't the first time she had done something like this.

First, it was dealing with what happened in Bahrain - she withdrew from fieldwork, and transferred over to Administration.  It took her a long time to pick herself up, and that was due to Fury and Coulson's prodding;

Then, it was dealing with Coulson's reaction to her "betrayal", and her leaving without a word to the team.   Admittedly, she immediately picked herself up in order to find the answers that Coulson was seeking;

Finally, there was this last time ... as with Bahrain she needed time and prodding (this time from Dad and Hunter) in order to pull herself together and get back into the action.

So, this was not totally out of character for May, and I'm willing to bet that Coulson knew this and allowed May the space and time she needed, even as he missed having her around.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
It's not like Phil had a choice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users