Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvels Agents of SHIELD Marvel TV

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,654 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

After Simmons is rescued from another planet, she reveals how she fought to survive in harsh surroundings.

Remember to tune in, True Believers, it is on tonight on ABC at 9pm Eastern; 8pm Central.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:29 PM

At last, we find out what happened to Gemma on the other world.  :thumbs-up:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,638 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:53 PM

So, is the astronaut actually an Inhuman whose power blocks out sunlight?
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:36 AM

View PostCardie, on 27 October 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

Why would he be? The Sun came out exactly when it was supposed to, according to Simmons's calculations.

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,996 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:10 AM

View Post243Skunk, on 28 October 2015 - 01:36 AM, said:

View PostCardie, on 27 October 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

Why would he be? The Sun came out exactly when it was supposed to, according to Simmons's calculations.

Right. You can't fake an entire sky. Simmons measured the star positions and calculated the planet's rotation, determining that they were near the pole of the planet, which was why the sun almost never rose in their location. (Which means the planet must've been hellishly hot over most of its surface.) What we saw in that final shot of Will was the brief moment of daylight that he and Jemma had been planning to watch together, but that Jemma was rescued before she could witness. The meaning of that final scene was "Ooh, this guy was faking it the whole time," just to be a bittersweet character moment in which he got to see the sun at last, but without Jemma there with him and with his hope of rescue seeming lost.

Honestly, I think both TV writers and viewers have become so addicted to plot-driven, twist-driven storytelling that we tend to lose sight of the idea that the meaning of a scene can be purely about character and emotion rather than just being the setup for some gotcha plot twist. We're so busy trying to outsmart the writers and predict their next twists that we've forgotten how to just experience a moment and feel it along with the characters.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,654 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

I knew that Simmons, when she returned, seemed in remarkably good health ... especially give the glimpses we had of the world she was trapped on.

All in all a very good episode.  While I understand Simmons' actions and motivations, all I could think was "poor Fitz."  Once they revealed the handsome astronaut, added that revelation to the 6-month period of her absence, and Simmons' declaration that she had to go back, I knew they would become involved.  At the least, Fitz's response is the best she could hope for, and good on him for overcoming his personal disappointments to help Gemma reclaim her astronaut.

My only thing is, they didn't seem to explain why she was so hyper-aware of vibrations.  Was it more about the sound, and the cacophony of sounds after the prolonged silence with only one other voice to listen to?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

My issue is with her phone.  No matter how well Fitz tinkered with it, even fully charged when got stranded, there is no way it would have lasted as long as it did, especially with its final use to get that old computer running.

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:19 PM

^^  You underestimate Fitz.   :lol:

View PostG-man, on 28 October 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

My only thing is, they didn't seem to explain why she was so hyper-aware of vibrations.  Was it more about the sound, and the cacophony of sounds after the prolonged silence with only one other voice to listen to?  
Presumably a combination of PTSD and having become acclimated to a world of eternal night, lacking in the constant barrage of civilization.

Anyway, that was quite a strange adventure.  It answered a couple of questions and raised about a million more.  Who made the portal?  Why?  Was it designed to function in such a ludicrous way, or is it broken?  Where is that planet and why is it the destination of the portal?  What is the "force?"  How did NASA get its hands on the monolith?  How did NASA lose custody of the monolith?  How did SHIELD get custody of the Monolith and why did it get no documentation along with it?  Why did NASA really send a team through it?  How long has it been on Earth?  

The "graveyard" was creepy with its skeletons and artifacts.  I think we saw the guy that went through in that previous flashback.  It was very weird that the force first appeared as a cloaked figure and then as an astronaut.  Will seemed to know that it could disguise itself, but it was still showing tentacles coming out of that suit, so it apparently was literally disguising itself in a suit rather than creating an illusion.

It was kind of amusing that the astronauts went through the monolith in 2001.  It was also amusing that two of the astronauts were named Austin and Taylor.  I assume the names Brubaker and Daniels have some meaning as well.  

Now I'm wondering what will happen if-- okay, when-- they get Daniels back.  Will Simmons still be stuck on him, or will she realize it was just a function of being trapped together?  Good old Fitz. We can imagine what it was like for him to listen to that story, but there was no hesitation on his part to help get Daniels back.

Sigh. I was hoping that Fitz and Gemma could just get together.  Of course, it can't be that simple.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 28 October 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

My issue is with her phone.  No matter how well Fitz tinkered with it, even fully charged when got stranded, there is no way it would have lasted as long as it did, especially with its final use to get that old computer running.

It did seem like a stretch, yes, but I can easily accept that in a world that also contains Iron Man.  ;)

View PostRJDiogenes, on 28 October 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

^^  You underestimate Fitz.   :lol:

That too!  :D

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#10 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, I loved the little monolith/2001 joke.

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,638 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

My bad. I zone out when the technobabble starts and never heard anything about the sun coming out as a facet of the escape plan, or their desire to watch it together.

#12 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:33 PM

Yep, they hadn't calculated an escape that day.  They were heading to see the sunrise, as the next one would be "in 18 years"!  :oh:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#13 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,638 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

I heard the 18 years but didn't catch what it referred to.

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,996 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:35 AM

View PostChristopher, on 28 October 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

The meaning of that final scene was "Ooh, this guy was faking it the whole time," just to be a bittersweet character moment in which he got to see the sun at last, but without Jemma there with him and with his hope of rescue seeming lost.

Oops, I meant that the meaning of that final scene was NOT that he was faking. Too late to edit the post.

View PostG-man, on 28 October 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

She'd spent six months living in a hostile environment. Any unfamiliar noise could be something coming to kill her.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#15 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

So I've got an interesting theory.  

This being that lives in a sandstorm, I think it generates a sandstorm around itself.  The astronauts called it "death", and think that it once destroyed all life on that planet.  

It is clearly not a coincidence that Fitz's ancient scroll said the exact same thing: "death"!  I think the maker of that scroll knew exactly what was on the other side of the monolith.  :o

Here's my theory:  long ago, this being came to that planet and started devouring all life.  Someone found / developed a way to escape ... to earth.  Somehow they created that monolith, either in getting here or after.  But they knew that if that being didn't get fed, it would come looking for more food ... and Earth would be the next planet consumed! *  :o

So they set up a system where people would be periodically "sacrificed" by sending them through the monolith.  They entrusted a secret few with this information, who would pass the tradition down though the ages.  And they did, people have been sent there all through history, even since biblical times judging by the Hebrew scroll!  And maybe even before that, who knows?

And however NASA got hold of it, someone there was in the know, and made sure to feed four astronauts to it!!! :eek:

A slight variation of this theory is that the monolith was used to banish that being in the first place, by sending it there from Earth.  But that doesn't explain how it got here in the first place, or who made the monolith.  So I'm less clear on this version of the theory.  

Anyway, I don't know how any of this relates to inhumans, or what aliens were involved in the history.   Was it the Kree, or someone else?!?

SFG

* Oh, I just reminded myself of Doctor Who's "Planet of the Dead"!  :lol:

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

The other aspect of the Monolith that needs to be explained is why it's coordinates is determined by the positions of the moons.  Certainly some of its behaviors can be explained by saying that it's broken, but that seems very specific.

The hooded figure is probably the last survivor of the race that lived on that planet when it was a garden spot. He or she is probably an Inhuman experiment by the Kree on that world who got out of control.

I don't know about the idea of sending people through the monolith as sacrifices.  I don't think enough people have gone through to feed something that ate a world.

#17 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

I still think that planet IS a moon.

#18 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

Probably.  That was a pretty big heavenly body in the sky.

#19 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:02 PM

Or maybe they are co-planets. Maybe that has something to do with the wonky co-ordinates?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users