Car trouble !!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chicagoboy21

Chicagoboy21
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

I get in my car try to start it , doesn't work everything electrical comes on it doesn't make a starting sound and it makes one strong click. I have a 2000 chevy Impala Ls

#2 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

Sounds like the starter itself isn't working.  There is a way to manually start it, but it requires two people... one with a hammer and screwdriver to help turn the starter as the other person tries ignition.

At least, that happened to me once and that solution worked.  Mine is a 2001 Chevy Silverado.

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

A common cause of this type of failure is a loose electrical contact to the bendix/solenoid/relay or the starter motor. The loud click is your relay/solenoid/bendix engaging, but the starter motor isn't getting electrical current.

Believe it or not, this issue sometimes responds (temporarily) to a good whack to the starter with a stout wood stick/2x4. It may sound silly, but it works far too often to disregard. I've known people to drive for months, just whacking their starter as needed.

To check for a loose contact, check the connection at both ends of the thickest cable from your battery's (-) terminal (this will lead to some point on your car's body or engine block), then check/clean/retighten both ends of the thickest cable coming off the (+) terminal of your battery (this will usually go directly to your starter motor or bendix/solenoid/relay, check that the main mounting bolts are tight and give a good ground connection to the frame through those bolts. In fact, check all the external connections on your starter unit while you're down there (the motor is the main body, the bendix/switch may be inside the main casing or may be attached to the outside; a few cars have a separate starter relay, which you can find by following the wires).

Your starter motor needs a lot of current to turn the engine over. The starter relay allows a small current from your keyswitch to turn on a much heavier current to your starter solenoid/Bendix and motor. The primary role of the Bendix or solenoid is to "kick" a small gear on the starter motor shaft to engage the flywheel (If that gear were always engaged, the starter motor would be a constant drag on the engine), but it often also has a switch built in which activates the larger starter motor when the gear is in place.

In a while, I'll move this thread to "All Things Automotive" with a link from this forum. I'll just leave it here a little while, in case you come back soon.

Edited by Orpheus, 04 November 2015 - 01:27 PM.
Changed "Creator's Corner" to "All Things Automotive", a more appropriate destination

#4 Chicagoboy21

Chicagoboy21
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

Wow thank you so much I will try it ! Is it good enough for me to drive home or to the shop ?

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

Once you start it, it will continue to run/drive normally and safely for as long as you like, until you turn the engine off.

If you whack it, it may start normally the next time --or not. Sometimes the spark from starting will create an acceptable temporary connection that holds for a few starts. Whacking it again should work, but it's not a "fix". The connection is just going to get weaker over time, so find the issue (loose/corroded connection) and fix it properly. As the weather gets colder, starting gets MUCH harder.

I'm moving this thread to the "All Things Automotive" forum. See you there!

#6 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:17 AM

View PostChicagoboy21, on 01 November 2015 - 11:09 AM, said:

I get in my car try to start it , doesn't work everything electrical comes on it doesn't make a starting sound and it makes one strong click. I have a 2000 chevy Impala Ls
That sounds pretty close to what happened with my car recently, when I left a light on overnight and drained my battery. I had to get a jump start, but since then, my car's been functioning normally.

Edited to ad: I had drained my battery to the point where I couldn't start my car, but I could still get the lights and other electronics on, so it seems that starting the engine requires more battery juice than powering the electrical systems for a few seconds.

Edited by Raina, 06 November 2015 - 06:18 AM.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#7 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

Low battery voltage ws certainly a possibility, of course.

I felt the strong "click" was worth following up on. It meant there was probably enough juice to power up the bendix/relay/whatever.

Interestingly, in very cold weather, you can try turning on your high beams on for 10-15 seconds before trying the starter again. The physics of this has never been *precisely* determined, but it's likely a combination of internal resistance heating the battery slightly, plate surface chemistry, etc. I've had limited success but it has worked regularly for some people's specific cars/situations.

I didn't suggest it to the Original Poster because it hadn't been cold enough in October for that to be likely to help more than hurt.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users