Star Trek

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#1 bishop37

bishop37
  • Islander
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

More here: http://www.newsarama...s-from-cbs.html
"In a distant galaxy, twelve planets bearing tribes of the race known as Man have been at war with an alien cyborg race, the Cylon Empire, for a millennium. In the measurements used by the Twelve Colonies it is the Yahren 7341, and a treaty of peace is to be signed - a treaty that proves to be a ruse for the largest assault in the history of galactic warfare. With their defending warships destroyed and their homeworld annihilated, the Twelve Tribes gather to their one remaining warship, a battlestar named the Galactica, boarding every assorted star vehicle that will carry them, as their leader, Commander Adama, seeks out the one planet that will protect Man from the predation of the Cylon Empire - a planet called Earth. As their journey proceeds this fugitive fleet is closely pursued by forces of the Cylon Empire under the command of human traitor Baltar."

#2 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

Let's see who they're getting to write it. Supposedly there will be more details made available later today.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:23 AM

So ... they will broadcast the first episode, and then the rest of the series is digital only?  Online, VOD, and streaming?

Okay...  O_o

I guess this is part of the 50th anniversary stuff?

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 02 November 2015 - 11:24 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

Sounds interesting. The article said the show wouldn't be tied directly to the new movies. I'm guessing it will still be set in the new universe. Will it be about another ship during the same time period or be set far into the future?

Not sure how I feel about it being on the CBS streaming site. Sure it's only $6 a month but I already pay for Hulu and Netflix. Not sure I want to add another streaming service just for one show.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:34 PM

Looks like I misread in a hurry this morning, I didn't realize it was going to be exclusive to the CBS paid streaming site. No other venue, not even other streaming options?  Really?

I guess they are trying to recruit more subscribers to their service, but this just sounds like a recipe for a LOT of pissed off fans, and a heck of a lot more pirating!  :headshake:  For exactly the reasons that Virgil said.

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 02 November 2015 - 04:35 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

I think the reason for this is that CBS still owns all tv rights to the franchise.  Though why they can't just put it on regular tv is beyond me.

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:54 PM

^ Exactly!

And there have to be a lot of baby boomer fans of the original, not all of whom are entirely tech savvy.  This development would probably have stumped my mother if I wasn't here to "acquire" it.  (One way or another.) ;)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

Looks like Kurtzman will be an executive producer on the new series. Given my previous post, this is clearly bad news for me...:(

At least it will save me money in that I won't have to subscribe to the streaming service to see it...

http://news.yahoo.co...-153032696.html
Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,190 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

Well, I was pretty sure they would announce a new series for the 50th Anniversary, so this doesn't come as a huge shock-- but I was hoping that CBS would stick with the original.  Kurtzman's involvement is disappointing, although he does seem like the less stupid of the two nuTrek writers, and they are the executive producers of Sleepy Hollow, which is a great show. But if it's set in the nuTrek universe, there's no way I'll have any stomach for it.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:51 PM

I guess they are trying to recruit more subscribers to their service, but this just sounds like a recipe for a LOT of pissed off fans, and a heck of a lot more pirating!  :headshake:  For exactly the reasons that Virgil said.

Not sure what I'll do. If they make all the episodes available at once I wouldn't mind paying $6 and watching the season in one month. If they release the episodes on a weekly schedule I'll probably wait until all are out and then get the subscription.

But if it's set in the nuTrek universe, there's no way I'll have any stomach for it.

While I'm not a huge fan of the two new movies, I think a series set in the nuTrek universe could be quite good. The series could be radically different from the movies. They could get a good group of writers and actors and make a great TV show.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

I wonder how they will be distributing it for international viewers?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#12 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

There was a promise of more details to be released later in the day but I took a look and it doesn't seem like that happened. The press release says it will be a "totally new" series with "new characters" - so, not Kirk & Spock, but not Picard & Data, either - and there's a pretty frank acknowledgement tacked on at the end: that it's "not related to Star Trek Beyond," the movie Paramount will release just a few months earlier... So come December 2016, Paramount will be on TV marketing the blu-ray of Star Trek Beyond as a stocking stuffer at the same time CBS is advertising the premiere of its new - totally unconnected - Star Trek TV show? Really?

It's early days yet but to me this suggests there may be no connection to any of the movies - the rights to which CBS does not own. Which would be... interesting.

If it's not a co-production with Paramount, if they wont 't able to leverage the big investments Paramount has already made in standing sets and costumes and gadgets, et al, for the movies, then CBS must be planning to make an absolutely enormous up-front investment in the new show... one that will presumably result in a look/feel that is distinctly different from, rather than aligned with, the current movies... not to mention a long run to amortize.

Edited by BklnScott, 02 November 2015 - 11:11 PM.

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:15 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 02 November 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

I wonder how they will be distributing it for international viewers?

The first linked article says:

CBS will distribute the show internationally through partner networks

I have no idea what this means, other than that it WILL be available internationally.  :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:09 AM

This is what See B.S. has to say on the subject.

http://www.cbs.com/s...ar-trek-series/

Given who's working on it, this series is going to suck, big time.

I feel the same way as someone who watches helplessly as a slobbering, illiterate, ignorant, ill-mannered, drug-addicted thief and all-around lout inherits your great-grandparents' fine china.

Edited by gsmonks, 03 November 2015 - 02:10 AM.

Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#15 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,250 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

I ...

(sigh)

It's still too early to draw any definitive conclusions; right now, all I'm seeing is the standard studio hype and some speculation.  Which, given Paramount TV's track record with Trek has always led to disappointments.

I'm simply going into my "wait and see" mode with this one.

That said, I'm a mite leery about them producing the series solely for streaming purposes.  Maybe, this online presence is meant to compete with Netflix ... but what it means for me is that it is another series that I'm gonna have to fork out some money for if I wish see it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 03 November 2015 - 11:05 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#16 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, we all will, but that means the show won't be as vulnerable to traditional ratings. I think the new model will shift the fundamentals in some interesting ways. Subscriptions will be a key metric now. Does that mean fan-service is coming back in style? Seems like it will be important to have the fanbase invested - literally. So they will have to be happy. And yet critical buzz will be very important, too, particularly in the early going, as a means of drawing eyeballs to a new digital content provider. Critical raves are what drew viewers to House of Cards at Netflix and particularly Transparent at Amazon, and both outlets are now considered prime destinations for high-quality new content. That's what CBS is going for here, and it might be a powerful inducement to produce the most sophisticated show they can - which is arguably opposite from the drivers behind broadcast network television, which tend to push content to its lowest common denominator. Note that the press release, while mum on details, specifically calls-out Trek's legacy of allegorical storytelling around sociopolitical issues.

Should be interesting to see how this develops, anyway.

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,190 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 02 November 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

While I'm not a huge fan of the two new movies, I think a series set in the nuTrek universe could be quite good. The series could be radically different from the movies. They could get a good group of writers and actors and make a great TV show.  
There's a non-zero possibilitiy, of course, but it doesn't matter. There's no way I can stomach anything connected with that movie. Aside from the horrifically bad writing, it's the complete antithesis of what the original Star Trek was meant to be.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#18 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

There's a non-zero possibilitiy, of course, but it doesn't matter. There's no way I can stomach anything connected with that movie. Aside from the horrifically bad writing, it's the complete antithesis of what the original Star Trek was meant to be.

Just because the movie wasn't what you wanted Trek to be doesn't mean the TV show has to be like that. It's possible it will make your forget about the movies.

Should be interesting to see how this develops, anyway.

Yes it will. I'm still not thrilled with the streaming service being the location of the new series I am excited for new Trek as a TV series.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,190 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:10 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 03 November 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

Just because the movie wasn't what you wanted Trek to be doesn't mean the TV show has to be like that. It's possible it will make your forget about the movies.  
Even if it was just the bad writing, character assassination, sexism, superficiality, and so on, it would be tough to get past-- but the fact that it's set in a universe where an entire planet was cavalierly destroyed as a plot decoration would be a constant reminder.

#20 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:15 AM

I know- let's write our own Trek.

I wrote three TNG-derived novellas several years ago, but they use things Trek as a side-issue.

That said, I personally think that's a better way to go- open up the field to Trek universe writing that doesn't necessarily involve any of the original characters- just the milieu.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Trek

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users