Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Well, just had several variations of this in my feed:

Star Trek Discovery To Be Replaced by Nicholas Meyer’s New Series

Star Trek Discovery Cancelled- Again

Who the frack is Nicholas Meyers?
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#342 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 02 September 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

I found the Abrams sets to be over-the-top silly. Huge, glitzy, nonsensical, absolutely without believability, more like CSI Miami techno-eye-candy than anything.  
All true, but the worst part is that he turned all the characters into morons, psychopaths, and mental defectives.

View Postgsmonks, on 03 September 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Well, just had several variations of this in my feed:

Star Trek Discovery To Be Replaced by Nicholas Meyer’s New Series

Star Trek Discovery Cancelled- Again

Who the frack is Nicholas Meyers?  
He co-wrote and directed Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country. The rumor is that this new Trek endeavor will be a seasonal anthology, like American Horror Story or True Detective, because that was part of Bryan Fuller's original concept. A further rumor is that Nicholas Meyer is creating season two.  An even further rumor is that his concept is the story of Khan's life on Ceti Alpha 5. I can live with rumors one and two, but rumor three is really stupid.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#343 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:40 AM

Went to cbs.com and signed up for CBS All Access.  Very simple and painless.  The app runs very well on my Roku.  Picture and sound quality are quite good on my 48 inch  TV.  User interface and the search function could need some tweaking.  T minus 14 days and counting...

#344 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

I'll wait until I actually see the first episode, just on principle.  :lol:  But who am I kidding?  :laughtears:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#345 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Here we have a taste of the Discovery theme music:

I wonder if they will use any form of the classic narration.

#346 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

Discovery is getting panned in a major way by legions of ticked-off fans. It's mainly the PC storytelling and alternate everything they're sick of.

Personally, I like seeing the various beings revamped in keeping with more alien-ness as the makeup and technology allows. TOS made no bones about the limitations of the day, and often mentioned what the characters should have been like. But- more alien-like always translates into more $$$. The loss of Trance Gemini's tail was due to what a major nuisance it was. It could only really be pulled off (ha-ha) if the Trance Gemini character had been a big-budget CGI motion-capture effort costing big bucks. That's more a motion-picture thing, although given HBO's methods and budget . . .

It's the writing that has all things Trek mired down in mediocrity these days, with the corporate machine and the fans pulling in opposite directions.

Being kicked squarely in the groin for decades now, you'd think the corporate types would finally get through their thick skulls what the fans want. Hooda thunk that greed would be responsible for such blind stupidity.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#347 GJS

GJS
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

With Star Trek: Discovery filming in Toronto, anyone else hoping for some cast crossover from the Canadian Gene Roddenberry shows? I would love to see any of the actors from Andromeda or Earth: Final Conflict show up in guest-star roles on DSC.lexa-doig-and-paris-figure.jpg

#348 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'm happy to see Lexa Doig show up anywhere.  :lol:

I think the Stargate shows and Dark Matter are from that area as well, so they should have a nice pool of Sci-Fi actors to use.

#349 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 14 September 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

I think the Stargate shows and Dark Matter are from that area as well, so they should have a nice pool of Sci-Fi actors to use.

Stargate was made in Vancouver, like the Arrowverse shows, Riverdale, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, The Magicians, Continuum, The X-Files, Fringe after season 1, and many, many more, as well as many movies such as the 2014 Godzilla and the Andy Serkis Planet of the Apes series. Toronto is home to Orphan Black, Killjoys, Dark Matter, The Expanse, Lost Girl, Flashpoint, RoboCop productions since 1994, and some others. Still, even though they're about as far from each other as Los Angeles and New York, a fair number of actors have crossed the continent to do shows in both cities.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#350 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

Now that Orville has proven to be nowhere near as silly as some people feared, series developers at CBS are probably already making contingency plans, if Discovery underperforms.

... like rolling it together with their also-new Young Sheldon (based on the childhood of Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper) to make a comedy called Shut Up, Wesley!

#351 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

Or maybe adding ceiling lights to the Discovery in season two.  :lol:

#352 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostCybersnark, on 30 August 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

I noticed the same thing with Franklin's bridge; it was obviously built first as a film set (lots of room to move cameras and lights around) rather than a practical in-universe workspace like the TV-style bridges.

I had an epiphany about this last night after watching DSC that may help me articulate things better:

The TV series bridges were designed "open-ended" --mostly without any idea what kinds of scenes or stories would be filmed there, or what kind of directors would be using them episode-to-episode. With no particular purpose in mind, they would've been designed to be "general purpose" sets, to look good under a variety of conditions, angles, and lighting schemes (with potential for being re-dressed as needed). Given that necessity, making the set look functional and realistic is a good rule-of-thumb.

The Abramsverse and DSC (envisioned as a serialized "15-episode movie") sets would've come after the director(s) were chosen, with a specific storyline in mind. They were created to appeal to particular directing/lighting styles and scene-blocking (look how much Abrams loves to have his actors [and cameras] circle around each other during dramatic confrontations). Thus the stylistic harsh glare and wide-open spaces, regardless of in-universe practicality.

Edited by Cybersnark, 25 September 2017 - 11:58 AM.

"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#353 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

The official Star Trek website is reporting Star Trek Discovery has been renewed for a second season.

#354 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

It's a success. Which means that this is what Star Trek will be like from now on.

#355 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 24 October 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

It's a success. Which means that this is what Star Trek will be like from now on.

At least until a decade or two from now when someone else takes over the franchise and takes it in yet another direction.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Trek

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users