Supergirl

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:43 AM

Posted Image

When Kara's attempts to help National City don't go according to plan, she must put aside the doubts that she - and the city's media - has about her abilities in order to capture an escapee from the Kryptonian prison, Fort Rozz. Also, Cat pressures James to use his connection to Superman to get her an interview with Supergirl, when SUPERGIRL moves to its regular time period, Monday, Nov. 2 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

Don't know if I'll get used to James instead of Jimmy.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:19 PM

Don't know if I'll get used to James instead of Jimmy.

I think I'll always refer to him as Jimmy. James just sounds wrong for the character. I will admit I am intrigued to see how Jimmy will be portrayed now since he is older and more confident and acting as a mentor to Kara.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

Aside from a few things I didn't like, I felt that this was a strong second episode and it put a smile on my face.

I'll start with the stuff I didn't like. Kara working for the DEO just isn't a good fit. She's not a hero that readily fits into a military style command structure. Also, it seems as if everyone in the DEO knows her secret identity which is just dumb. I'm fine with Jimmy, Winn, Alex, and Henshaw knowing but beyond that it gets ridiculous.

That training session was a joke. Sure, Alex and Henshaw wanted to show Kara that she couldn't rely on her powers and that is fine. It's a lesson Kara needs to learn. However, Alex didn't really train Kara. All she did was beat Kara up and offer up one or two sentences about how to fight. It wasn't helpful at all.

The trap the DEO set up for Hellgrammite was dumb as well. They're going to face off against an alien threat they know almost nothing about in cars driving across a bridge? They were all sitting ducks in that car.

Well, enough complaining. I loved the montage with Kara tackling all sorts of small crimes and problems with the help of Winn and Jimmy. That's more of what I want to see. The snake up a tree was hilarious. I also liked that Winn was jealous that someone else knew Kara's secret. Winn and Jimmy trying to get rid of each other in the alley while waiting for Kara had me cracking up.

The episode offered up a nice character moment for Jimmy. All he wants is to make a name for himself independent of Superman and he's forced to set up an interview with Supergirl for Cat. Kara's pep talk to him about how the S symbol stands for stronger together and how on Kyrpton accepting help was honorable was a nice moment. It also shows how Kara is different from Superman. She has her memories of Krypton to call on to help her, like it did with Hellgrammite.

I did not expect Kara and Astra to come face to face this early. Nor did I expect them to have a knock down, drag out fight like that. The fight itself was pretty impressive. The show pulled off two fully powered Kryptonians fighting really well.

I was honestly surprised by all the special effects in the episode. Kara moving the boat, and then causing the oil spill. Her opening flying and training sequence. All of her rescues during the montage. The fight at the end. Hellgrammite leaping around.

Astra says she was locked up because she was a hero trying to save Krypton. Definitely shades of Zod there. I'm guessing she believed Jor-El's warnings and tried to do something about it. Now she says she is trying to save Earth. I wonder what she means by that? Is there some threat on the horizon that could potentially destroy the planet? Is she meaning that humans are destroying the planet with pollution, global warming, overcrowding, etc?

How many Kryptonians were in Fort Rozz, I wonder? I don't think the show would want too many Kryptonians running around.

Hellgrammite might not have been a memorable villain but he served a good function in showing that not all of the Fort Rozz escapees are working with Astra.

Kryptonite must be pretty rare if Astra has never encountered it before. So it's basically the opposite of Smallville, where kryptonite was everywhere.

Henshaw's eyes glowed red. Strange. I wonder what they're hinting at? I know who he becomes in the comics but I don't see them going down that road at the moment.

Still liking Cat. Granted I wouldn't like her in real life but she's a good character. I think this episode gave us a good look at who she is. She fought her way up from being an assistant to Perry White and had to work twice as hard as the men around her. She knows that Supergirl can be great too but also knows that she has bitten off more than she can chew. Her line about how Supergirl should be more like Kara seems to indicate that Cat thinks that Kara can work her way up from assistant to being the big boss as well.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:58 PM

Alright, I'm giving this show about 2 or 3 more episodes to get it's act together. Having said that, one more "This is a job for Supergirl" from Kara and I'm not even giving it those extra episodes.

I DID like that she was making mistakes in the beginning. I did NOT like her working with, or being trained by the military. And the DEO has WAY TOO MUCH Kryptonite available here. Lets face facts, shall we. If the government had access to THIS much kryptonite, they would use it against both Kara and Superman...all in the hopes of capturing them and trying to use them to create their own super powered beings.

Why is the heat vision now suddenly white? Is it a female kryptonian thing? Males shoot out red beams, females white ones?

Can't stand Cat Grant's character...every time she opens her mouth I'm hoping somebody punches her in the face. She just grates on my nerves. I get that they are trying for a female J.R. Ewing here, but they are failing miserably. In fact, most of the actually acting is extremely B material here. Not sure if that is on purpose or not.

And now lets get to my main gripe...the fight between Kara and Astra. I get that they don't have a block buster budget like Man of Steel did. But MoS showed what a actual battle between, for all purposes, GODS would be like. Metropolis got seriously destroyed, countless lives lost, billions in damages. Supergirl gives us two kryptonian throwing each other around a warehouse....Seriously!? Are you freaking kidding me?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

Alright, I'm giving this show about 2 or 3 more episodes to get it's act together. Having said that, one more "This is a job for Supergirl" from Kara and I'm not even giving it those extra episodes.

I love her saying "This is a job for Supergirl." Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I did NOT like her working with, or being trained by the military. And the DEO has WAY TOO MUCH Kryptonite available here.

I completely agree. Kara working for the DEO just feels wrong. They also do have way too much kryptonite. At least it seems like a substance that isn't radily available for everyone to get their hands on.

Lets face facts, shall we. If the government had access to THIS much kryptonite, they would use it against both Kara and Superman...all in the hopes of capturing them and trying to use them to create their own super powered beings.

I don't know. For the most part people seem to love Superman. In the pilot Henshaw said something about how the people who don't like Superman don't say so out loud because it's not the majority opinion, or something along those lines. Maybe there are enough politicians protecting Superman that the DEO has never been given the go ahead to go after Superman.

Why is the heat vision now suddenly white? Is it a female kryptonian thing? Males shoot out red beams, females white ones?

The male kryptonian had the same color heat vision as Kara and Astra, though it looks blue to me. I'm not sure why they're not using the red colored heat vision. Maybe it's just to differentiate their show?

And now lets get to my main gripe...the fight between Kara and Astra. I get that they don't have a block buster budget like Man of Steel did. But MoS showed what a actual battle between, for all purposes, GODS would be like. Metropolis got seriously destroyed, countless lives lost, billions in damages. Supergirl gives us two kryptonian throwing each other around a warehouse....Seriously!? Are you freaking kidding me?

You pretty much answered your own gripe. Even though this looks like it has a good budget, it's not going to come anywhere close to something like MoS. They can't show the Superman vs. Zod level of fight here. It's just not going to happen. Plot-wise, remember that Kara is starting out and this is basically her second fight ever. Astra was, at least at first, still trying to get Kara on her side so she wasn't going all out. Also, the show could be holding back on a bigger fight between these two for the finale.

I forgot to mention Maxwell Lord. He was barely in it but his inclusion is interesting. I wonder what version of Lord we are going to get? The one that was friendly with the Justice League and helped them or the one who was a maniacal killer with mind control powers that forced Superman to fight his Justice League friends and murdered a lot of people? Or possibly something more in between the extremes.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:46 AM

Another thing that just irked me was the DEO giving Kara a version of the fortress of solitude. If you have to pass several check points, and dozens of people, to get to the "fortress room"...it's really not yours, now is it. Especially if they are controlling the access to it, and probably monitoring it.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

Actually, it sounds like the show is trying to depict how a super-heroine would make her name/reputation in a world where the powers that be (their initials being D.E.O.) are not particularly welcoming to super-powered hero-wannabes.

As for Supergirl needing to be told that she's out of her depth and she should take things slowly ... I'd rather that she had realized that herself.  Still, Kat Grant as the unwitting mentor to Supergirl, that's an interesting idea.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#9 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

OK, I got a stupid question regarding our heroine's skirt.

Whenever she comes in for a landing, does the skirt ever flap up, or does it remain demurely draped so nothing inappropriate shows?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself who has been musing about the practicality of a miniskirt for super-heroines
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users