Supergirl DC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

Posted Image

Supergirl's powers are tested when Reactron, one of Superman's formidable enemies, arrives in National City and targets the young hero. Also, Cat plans to run an exposé on Supergirl.

I'm excited to see Reactron in the episode. He's more or less a Supergirl villain and was a major threat to her during the New Krypton arc in the comics.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, I think I'm just about done with this show.

I mean, when Reactron flies away, after his first fight with Supergirl, and she just watches and does NOT give chase...I had to strongly resist the urge to yell at the TV screen, for the character being so stupid. And then there is her whole "Oh, I'm a alien" response to her eating habits, when the waitress asked her about it. She's been on the planet for over a dozen years now, so she should have her answers to stuff like that down already.

And the core in the chest plate, they told her had to be sealed in lead, otherwise it would cause a nuclear blast...Holding it in your lead covered hand is NOT being sealed in lead.

Not to mention, how does kara have the time to be saving the day? It's not like she can explain her absences from work as working on a story...she is a assistant. She shouldn't even be leaving the office, yet no explanation is given. Nor is a explanation given to how they are going to explain that one unused office remaining unused? or how the one guy was able to afford, essentially batcomputer type of computer set up?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

I don't want to sour anyone's milk who likes the show.  I've kind of resisted with that for a bit here.  But LoTS brings up a couple of good points I've meeked at myself.  Like the encasing in lead, not your fist thing.  But also, she sees a news story in the office and runs away instead of discretely leaving.  Or her blowing out her apartment window every time.  Um, that's kind of going to blow your cover instantly Kara. :(

They really need to step up their game.  I'm glad they gave SuperGirl a chance once more, but I'm not seeing justice being done to it.  They need a better show runner or something.  Smallville was way better than this show has been and that was by a minor network with far less resources.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:35 PM

The episode had some flaws but overall I enjoyed the episode and I'm enjoying the show. I have faith that they will work out the kinks as the show progresses.

While Kara's office of solitude is improbable (nobody wants the office because a man died in it?) I do like that they have a place to go to to do their work during the day. I also like the Super Friends that have coalesced around Kara. Winn, Jimmy, and Alex are a good support group.

Winn's reaction to finding out that Clark Kent is Superman was fantastic.

I'm thinking Henshaw might be a Martian, maybe even Martian Manhunter. His eyes glow red and he seemed to all of a suddenly know what Alex was up to, almost like he read her mind. It would be a big departure from the comics but would be kind of cool too. Of course, if they go with the Cyborg Superman angle he could just be tapped into the computer system.

Reactron was a good villain. He's a big threat that has fought Superman to a standstill and almost kills Kara. He fit into the theme of the episode as well since he came to fight Supergirl because he saw her as an easy target and Kara wants to prove she's just as good a hero as Clark is.

I wish they had just cast someone as Superman. It'd be better than not really showing him and having Kara have a IM chat with him at the end. Don't get me wrong I loved the chat ("I guess this was a job for Supergirl" indeed) but it would have been better to see them actually talk.

That was a rather bad interview Kara gave. She really wasn't ready for it at all. She must have known that Cat would not go easy on her and would ask questions that would get Kara to reveal more than she wanted to.

I'm not sure what to think of Maxwell Lord. He gave off a Lex Luthor lite vibe when he fired the one scientist but then he traded himself for his other scientist and then he credits Superman for his save instead of Supergirl.

I like that Kara wants to fight her own battles and doesn't want Superman to come save her but getting mad at Jimmy because he called Supes in to save her was an overreaction. I do like that it explains why Superman won't be appearing on the show or coming to save the day. My only question is what happens when Kara is in a situation where she absolutely needs help and/or civilians are in a lot of danger? When Astra finally makes her move, using the Fort Rozz escapees (which includes several Kryptonians) they better have a good reason for why Superman doesn't make an exception.

Not sure I like Kara having a crush on Jimmy, especially since Winn is obviously in love with her. I'd rather not have a love triangle going on, or quadrangle now since Lucy Lane has shown up.

Speaking of, having Lucy around could be interesting. She's been portrayed many different ways in the comics so it will be interesting to see how this Lucy acts.

I mean, when Reactron flies away, after his first fight with Supergirl, and she just watches and does NOT give chase...I had to strongly resist the urge to yell at the TV screen, for the character being so stupid. And then there is her whole "Oh, I'm a alien" response to her eating habits, when the waitress asked her about it. She's been on the planet for over a dozen years now, so she should have her answers to stuff like that down already.

True, she should have went after him but I think she was just stunned by how powerful he turned out to be. I didn't have a problem with her "I'm an alien" response because it was obvious she said it as a joke and knew the waitress would take it that way. It wasn't like she choked and had no idea what to say. It was a nice little wink type joke. Superman has done it a ton in the comics and on his various shows.

And the core in the chest plate, they told her had to be sealed in lead, otherwise it would cause a nuclear blast...Holding it in your lead covered hand is NOT being sealed in lead.

Yeah, it was a smart idea to cover her hand in lead to grab the core and make sure it was encased in lead but when she actually pulled it out only part of it was covered.

Not to mention, how does kara have the time to be saving the day? It's not like she can explain her absences from work as working on a story...she is a assistant. She shouldn't even be leaving the office, yet no explanation is given. Nor is a explanation given to how they are going to explain that one unused office remaining unused? or how the one guy was able to afford, essentially batcomputer type of computer set up?

Not completely sure about how Kara is saving the day during the day. It's possible she does go on errands for Cat. We have seen her bring Cat food and coffee before so she goes on lunch runs. She was also completely responsible for putting the party together and it's possible that she had to leave the office for that as well. I do hope they address how she does it in a later episode.

As to how Winn afforded all that gear, no clue. I know they have cast his father for a future episode but maybe we will learn more about him and how he afforded all that gear. Maybe it's stuff he took from around the building. I doubt Cat  would miss one of the plethora of screens she has in her office.

But also, she sees a news story in the office and runs away instead of discretely leaving.  Or her blowing out her apartment window every time.  Um, that's kind of going to blow your cover instantly Kara. :(

I guess I don't mind that stuff because she is brand new to this so she's bound to make mistakes. If she doesn't learn from this and keeps doing things that make it obvious she's rushing off to save the day then yeah, it's going to be bad.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users