Supergirl DC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

Kara's Thanksgiving may be ruined when she suspects her foster mother, Dr. Danvers (Helen Slater), who is coming to town, disapproves of her new role as a superhero. Also, when an accident transforms a volatile CatCo employee into the villainous Livewire, she targets Cat and Supergirl.

This is actually the fifth episode of Supergirl. CBS has apparently decided to air it instead of the fourth episode due, presumably, to the fact that the fourth episode had Kara dealing with a series of bombings in National City.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:44 PM

I felt that this was a rather strong episode. The only thing that really bothered me was the Kara/Jimmy stuff. I'm just not feeling the love triangle that is brewing between Kara, Jimmy, and Winn. Plus Kara came off pretty crappy looking when she dashes over to Jmmy right after Winn said he was thankful for her and kissed her on the cheek.

Now we know why the DEO knows so much about Kryptonians, and how they knew about Kara before she even became Supergirl. They have been tracking her for a long time, and almost took her from the Danvers before Mr. Danvers said he would work with them and give him all his notes and research about Superman. I don't know. They could have let the DEO take Kara and then just called in Superman. He would have gotten her back in a jiffy. It definitely creates a mystery as to what reallt happened to Mr. Danvers.

Helen Slater did a good job as Eliza Danvers. The episode did a great job establishing the relationship between the Danvers women. Eliza has instilled in Alex a desire to always protect Kara and has been harsher on her than on Kara, with good reason. Kara lost her entire world and then arrived on Earth to discover that her cousin was a grown man. At least at the end Eliza praised Alex and criticized Kara, which was good and bad for Kara.

The Thanksgiving dinner was awkward, as Thanksgiving dinners can be. Winn trying to avoid the awkwardness by complimenting and passing the food was pretty funny.

Speaking of, we learn that his father is a bad man and in jail so he doesn't really have any family to speak of. Or at least none that he gets together with during the holidays.

I'm guessing Jimmy and Lucy rekindled their romance in the skipped episode. Has Lucy decided to move to National City to be closer to Jimmy or is she just visiting?

Some good insights into Cat here. We learn she has a son (who was in the skipped episode) and that despite her massive success her mother still views her as a failure. I think Cat was humanized a little more here. She clearly cared for Leslie, though she had na odd way of showing it. She connected with Kara on a personal level, and even sent Kara way from the fight and confronted Livewire herself. Then she used herself as bait to capture Livewire.

I'm not the biggest Livewire fan, but I liked her a lot in this episode. They used her powers in inventive ways and I loved her lightning whips that she used to knock Supergirl around with. The fact that she could turn to electricity and could absorb Kara's heat vision made her a worthy foe. I hope she makes a return appearance sometime during the season.

Other than the romantic triangle I felt this episode was firing on all cylinders. It deepened Cat's character, had a fun villain, introduced the mystery of what really happened to Mr. Danvers, had Winn more or less admit his feelings for Kara, and had Helen Slater. You can't ask for more than that. Or at least I can't.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:20 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 17 November 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

I'm not the biggest Livewire fan, but I liked her a lot in this episode. They used her powers in inventive ways and I loved her lightning whips that she used to knock Supergirl around with. The fact that she could turn to electricity and could absorb Kara's heat vision made her a worthy foe. I hope she makes a return appearance sometime during the season.

I had really big hopes for this episode...but they weren't realized. This episode fizzled for me. (Pun intended)

When the half hour Superman animated cartoon does a much better characterization of Live Wire, then a live action hour long show, something is seriously wrong. We'll start with the extremely bad wig job they gave Live Wire. Then there was the complete lack of explanation of why Live Wire would cause massive blackouts? In the cartoon it was to hold the city ransom for money, but they never explained a reason here. The extremely bad monologue performances by Live wire. And don't even get me started on the whole ghost buster gizmo they tried. Top of their class scientists at the DEO and not one thought of using water?

The flashback made no sense. If they flew out of their bedroom window, why wouldn't they have returned the same way? And when Helen Slater tells Kara not to use her super hearing....duh. that's practically telling her to use it. No teenager would've been able to resist using it in that situation.

So NOT feeling the love triangle thing.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:54 PM

You guys can probably almost write my reaction.  It's a comic book.  There was character development.  I enjoyed the heck out of it.
Cats will never be extinct!

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:35 AM

Then there was the complete lack of explanation of why Live Wire would cause massive blackouts? In the cartoon it was to hold the city ransom for money, but they never explained a reason here.

I just assumed she was doing it just to do it. She was angry and suddenly had power to cause a lot of damage so she did.

The flashback made no sense. If they flew out of their bedroom window, why wouldn't they have returned the same way? And when Helen Slater tells Kara not to use her super hearing....duh. that's practically telling her to use it. No teenager would've been able to resist using it in that situation.

I'm guessing they went in the front door because they're kids and made a dumb mistake. Just because some teenagers would use super hearing doesn't mean Kara would. The show, especially this episode, has established that she is a good, trusting person. If her foster mother told her not to use her super hearing I can see her not using it.

So NOT feeling the love triangle thing.

Same. I think Berlanti just likes love triangles. In Arrow season we had Oliver/Laurel/Tommy and in The Flash season 1 we had Barry/Iris/Eddie. Enough is enough.

Oh, and a few things I forgot to mention. Leslie's opening monologue and the reaction of the characters was pretty pricless, especially Winn's reaction about the suit. I also liked how this episode focused on Kara's good nature and how it's bringing about positivity in the world like when Cat decides not to run trashy articles about two young celebrities. It's nice to have a show that isn't grim and gritty and that shows the positive light of humanity.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:27 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 16 November 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

This is actually the fifth episode of Supergirl. CBS has apparently decided to air it instead of the fourth episode due, presumably, to the fact that the fourth episode had Kara dealing with a series of bombings in National City.

I'm glad you mentioned this, otherwise it would have been pretty confusing.  It was fine for the a-plot, which was basically continuity free.  But we clearly missed something in the James / Lucy storyline.  Looks like they are still going to show the skipped episode next though, so at least we get to see what we missed, just in the wrong order.  

Also it was obviously meant to air closer to thanksgiving, which made it a little disorienting.  

Cat has a heart!  :oh: :cool:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 22 November 2015 - 08:28 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users