#1 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:14 AM

Posted Image

Episode 7: Whaling

Another space battle, and a load of new characters gets added to the stage.

Spoiler

Okay, the physics were a little more relaxed this round, but I'll let it slide since the fight was so carefully plotted out to carry the narrative.

I'm a little torn on the new additions; on one hand, hooray for more female characters, especially pilots. OTOH, Gundam, like many anime properties, isn't always the most progressive in how it treats its women; for every badass Lucrezia Noin or brilliant Sumeragi Lee Noriega, there's a Fumina Hoshi or an Aida Surugan waiting to be turned into a catty girlfriend or held up as an example of why women shouldn't pilot Gundams.

Lafter's fanservicey introduction and bubbly-psycho dialogue don't fill me with hope, but this show's character-work has solidly impressed me so far, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Hopefully the fact that there's at least three new characters means that no one of them will have to represent All Women, and they'll be allowed to show a range of personalities.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gundam, mecha, Mars, military science fiction, space battle

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users