Supergirl DC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image

Personal and professional stress get the better of Kara when she goes too far during a training exercise against Red Tornado, a military cyborg commissioned by Lucy Lane's father, General Sam Lane. Also, Cat's tough exterior is shaken by a visit from her judgmental mother, Katherine, and Alex enlists Winn to look into her father's mysterious death.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

Surprisingly I actually liked this episode. I loved seeing Red Tornado. Although I would think it would take more then just his hands turning to created that kind of wind tunnel. On the Flash Barry has to actually rotate his ARMS, not just his hands. But, I was willing to forgive them that.

The ONE thing that kept nagging at me the entire episode was Supergirl's earing. How, exactly, did she pierce her ear? If her skin is invulnerable to anything short of kryptonite, how is she wearing a earing? I wouldn't have noticed it except for the close up they did of her ear, in the beginning when she was just flying for sake of flying.

I get the normal response to someone throwing a punch would be to block it, but she would've been better off just letting the road rager hit her and break his own hand on her jaw.

Kara having to deal with all her emotions like that was actually interesting. And while one would expect yelling at your boss like that to have consequences, I've given up on expecting realism there ever since Cat didn't fire her for letting her son get near the train last week. I loved Cat speaking up for Kara and telling her mother off, and then going right back to being the same old Cat with Kara.

Now we come to General Lane...I get that he's an overprotective father, but in the scene between him and Jimmy it was coming off as racism. At least to me, it seemed, at first, that the reason he didn't like Jimmy was because he was African American. I almost expected Jimmy to accuse him of being a racist....
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

Might the earring have been a clip-on?  Admittedly, if someone is flying at super-speed, a clip-on earring might be prone to falling off.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 01 December 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

The ONE thing that kept nagging at me the entire episode was Supergirl's earing. How, exactly, did she pierce her ear? If her skin is invulnerable to anything short of kryptonite, how is she wearing a earing? I wouldn't have noticed it except for the close up they did of her ear, in the beginning when she was just flying for sake of flying.

It could be possible that she can pierce her own skin, or is simply strong enough to do so. Or, it could be a clip on that she pressed tightly to her ear lobe.

View PostLord of the Sword, on 01 December 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

I get the normal response to someone throwing a punch would be to block it, but she would've been better off just letting the road rager hit her and break his own hand on her jaw.

And if she had let him hit her, you would have wondered why she didn't block him, as would most everyone else. She has superhuman speed, why would she let a mere human hit her? As a woman, it would have been said that she wasn't good enough to stop the man, a mere human male.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

Another good episode. Red Tornado looked a lot better than I expected, because the pics released of him didn't scream robot. In action though he was great. His fights against Supergirl were good, and his tornado powers looked great. The tornado he sent spiraling down the street was cool. What I thought was a waste was killing off Morrow and RT. There was so much story potential with both of them, especially since RT gained sentience at the end.

Game night was hilarious. From Lucy talking bad about Supergirl to Winn almost slipping up again and giving away Kara's identity it was just a fun scene. I like Winn, but the guy apparently can't keep a secret. I do feel bad for him though. It's so obvious that he's in love with Kara but she seems so blind to it. He told her point blank he'd do anything for her and it didn't really seem to register.

I did not think we would learn what happened to Mr. Danvers this quickly. Sure we're still not 100% certain what happened to him but we know that he went on a mission with Henshaw, they both diappeared, and that Henshaw returned without a scratch on him. It begs the question if that is the real Henshaw that returned or if something happened to him wherever he went.

Kara channeling her rage was a good plot this episode. It did seem to come out of nowhere, but I guess it makes sense. She lived her life believing that if she could embrace her powers she would finally feel normal and instead she doesn't. Now she has Lucy coming into her life and taking the affections of Jimmy and she had the encounter with Lord plus she wasn't able to save the man with the bomb on the train. It was a nice touch to have her punching a car.

True but I think it's become a natural instinct for Kara to catch a punch thrown at her. I really don't think she was out of line there. The guy had almost killed a bunch of kids, and then he had the audacity to throw a punch at her? She could have done a lot worse.

And while one would expect yelling at your boss like that to have consequences, I've given up on expecting realism there ever since Cat didn't fire her for letting her son get near the train last week. I loved Cat speaking up for Kara and telling her mother off, and then going right back to being the same old Cat with Kara.

Kara should have been fired a long time ago but I think Cat does have a soft spot for her, or knows/believes she is Supergirl. A lot of the advice she gives her is too spot on for whatever trouble Kara is experiencing.

Seeing Cat's mother was unexpected though welcome. It shows what Cat has to deal with and lets us know what drives Cat. Plus we see that she is a much better mother to Carter than her mother was to her. Cat genuinely cares for her son whereas Cat's mother seemed to drip disdain for her.

Cat standing up to her mother in Kara's defense was nice. The show has done a good job of showing Cat as the tough as nails boss that fires off the one liners while also letting her nicer, more human side peek through every now and then.

Now we come to General Lane...I get that he's an overprotective father, but in the scene between him and Jimmy it was coming off as racism. At least to me, it seemed, at first, that the reason he didn't like Jimmy was because he was African American. I almost expected Jimmy to accuse him of being a racist....

I feel that they went too over the top with General Lane. I have no problem with him being belligerent and having a grudge against anyone with an S on their chest or associated with the Supers but he took it to new heights. He blamed Supergirl and the DEO for Red Tornado going AWOL, attacked Kara for not taking RT down instead of saving the civilians, and wouldn't even acknowledge that Supergirl had done a good job of defeating Red Tornado.

I also thought there was an undercurrent of racism to General Lane not wanting Lucy dating Jimmy, but he had valid (to him, anyways) points for why he didn't like Jimmy. He thought Jimmy was too closely allied with Superman and now Supergirl, thought his career was a joke, and thought he wasn't man enough for Lucy.

The sad thing is that Lane isn't wrong when he says things won't work out between Jimmy and Lucy. The show is pushing Kara/Jimmy too hard to not have that happen eventually.

About the earrings, the only thing I can guess besides clip-ons is that maybe Clark pierced her ears using his heat vision.

Hopefully Alex won't pursue a relationship with Lord since she knows about Kara's suspicions. She may feel bad for him because of what happened to his parents, but he was willing to endanger lives to test Supergirl. Sure, he had fail safes on the two bombs on the train and at the airport but he still let that one bomb go off in his lab.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users