• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:06 AM

President Obama will be giving a speech tonight, at 8pm eastern time, that will air live on all the prime time networks!

He will obviously be discussing San Bernardino, terrorism in general, and possible responses, etc.  

Tune in!  :cool:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=35600515

President Obama to Deliver Rare Oval Office Speech on San Bernardino Shootings

President Obama will address the nation Sunday evening on the San Bernardino shootings in a rare speech from the Oval Office.

The White House announced the speech as a new addition to the president's weekend schedule, with it scheduled for 8 p.m. ET Sunday.

According to the White House, the president is also expected to discuss "the broader threat of terrorism, including the nature of the threat, how it has evolved, and how we will defeat it."

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:52 AM

Ok, I've got a silly question.  ;)

decimating al Qaeda’s leadership.

I have to genuinely ask, how much al Qaeda leadership have we actually gotten?  Ten percent? Or most, or all?  ;)

Just wondering if that was a slip, or if it was a (rare) appropriate use of the word! :lol:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 07 December 2015 - 07:53 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

Also, here's a full transcript of the speech:

http://www.latimes.c...ript-story.html

SFG :)

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 07 December 2015 - 08:12 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

Thanks! I plan to read it later.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,045 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

Well . . . I'm glad he made the speech, but for me it falls short in terms of addressing meaningful action.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#7 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

Well, all any political leader can do is lay down the policy then hope that more practical minds will come up with the actual solution, be it scientific, military, educational or whatever.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#8 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,045 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

The problem is that no one in the US seems able to see the problem.

One has only to look at the 2nd Amendment, the NRA, the GOP, and the Militia Movement, in order to realise that they're all part of the same terrorist movement. You look at ISIS, Taliban and al Qaeda training videos and they look just like NRA and US Militia training videos, right down to the over-the-top brutal tactics discussed by major rednecks in forums within the NRA and various US Militias.

All of the aforementioned are militant, subversive organisations aimed at overthrowing and undermining the legitimate US government, by whatever means they deem necessary.

#9 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,045 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

http://www.thomhartm...more-was-needed

#10 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 08 December 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

The problem is that no one in the US seems able to see the problem.

One has only to look at the 2nd Amendment, the NRA, the GOP, and the Militia Movement, in order to realise that they're all part of the same terrorist movement. You look at ISIS, Taliban and al Qaeda training videos and they look just like NRA and US Militia training videos, right down to the over-the-top brutal tactics discussed by major rednecks in forums within the NRA and various US Militias.

All of the aforementioned are militant, subversive organisations aimed at overthrowing and undermining the legitimate US government, by whatever means they deem necessary.

This.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: President Obama, Obama speech, televised

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users