• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,567 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

The mid-season Finale is on us:

A battle between Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D. will change Coulson's world; Fitz and Coulson take a huge risk.

Tune in tonight, True Believers, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central on ABC.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:08 PM

Ward being killed irrevocably dead would change Coulson's world, wouldn't it?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,567 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

^^^ I suppose so, especially given the closing revelation.

Anyhoo, I think we could chalk this one up as a win for HYDRA, as no matter what all SHIELD had accomplished, HYDRA did achieve their end goal.  The question now is, now that they have Maveth(?), what are they going to do with him?

Now, I confess, throughout the episode, I was anticipating that it would be Fitz's last hurrah, especially given [Joss] Whedon's penchant for killing off fan-favorites. That they chose to go another route is something of a relief for me.

I loved Hunter's pithy summation of SHIELD's SOP:  You make a plan, it turns to rubbish, then you make another plan.

I also liked Mack's handling of the team and their assault on the HYDRA Lair.  That was about as smooth an op as I've ever witnessed them pull off.

Then Simmons let loose Dr. Garner/Lash ... resulting in the elimination of the HYDRA-prepped Inhumans, and he now I running free through out the world.

However, they are still pushing the whole Daisy-Lincoln attraction which I am still no feeling.  There's far more chemistry between Daisy and Mack, than there is between her and Lincoln.

Finally, yeah, it looks like Coulson genuinely fell for Rosalind ... (sigh).

So, on that otherworld there were nine city[-states] which while reaching for untold heights obliterated each other (or were obliterated), with one going so far as to construct what looked liked a colossal HYDRA symbol.  So how did that image find its way into Humanity's consciousness?  And what Marvel world shares that history?  Was this the actual Kree test site for Inhumans, of whom HYDRA was part, who then fled to Earth when the experiment was discontinued?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

Quiite an interesting little episode. Coulson actually killed Ward (gotta hand it to him-- haha), but now the entity seems to have possessed Ward. Judging from Will's condition, the entity can't heal a dead body or restore it to life, so Ward's undead days are probably numbered.  Good way to kill the character but keep the actor working. No problem there. I have nothing against the actor.

So Will was a real person when Gemma was there, which means she wasn't shacking up with an evil entity. That's good. But he's dead now, which may be a complication in her relationship with Fitz. Now he will never know who she would have ultimately chosen.  I do, but he will never be sure.

Mack makes a great boss-- and he knows how to pull off an escape by the skin of his teeth.  But, since Zombie Ward returned to Earth, they must have had to leave the mini-Monoliths behind, which may turn out to be a tactical error. They should go back for them as quickly as possible, because HYDRA sure will.  I hope we revisit that planet soon, because the ruins and the planet's history are both very interesting.

And Andrew is on the loose.  I think Gemma will be harboring some guilt over letting him go free.

View PostG-man, on 09 December 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

I loved Hunter's pithy summation of SHIELD's SOP:  You make a plan, it turns to rubbish, then you make another plan.  
Hunter cracks me up.  Lincoln: "What if the hellbeast comes through the portal?"  Hunter:  "I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm going to run."

However, they are still pushing the whole Daisy-Lincoln attraction which I am still no feeling.  There's far more chemistry between Daisy and Mack, than there is between her and Lincoln.
I think Mack has chemistry with everybody.  It bugs me that he hasn't had any scenes with Fitz this year.  The reason I like him so much is that he was the one who helped Fitz when he was struggling with brain damage.  Everyone else was awkward and avoiding him, but Mack gave him tough love and helped him get it together.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:21 AM

Wow, Maveth Ward.  I did not see that one coming!  :eek:

I would accept a theory where the ancient cities on that planet went to war, in part because at least one started following Maveth.  He said something like "They had a chance to become something better.  But they destroyed themselves instead."   That implies he tried to rule them, and they went to war over that.

The only problem I have, is that way back then, the HYDRA symbol was the Ram, not the Evil Octopus Skull!   So why did the ancient city build the modern HYDRA symbol, not the old one?  (So we'd recognize it, of course, but that's not a good enough reason.)

One more thing I realized about Maveth.  He recognized Fitz. Will would have recognized him, because Gemma showed him videos.  But Maveth?  The only explanation is that he acquires the memories of the bodies he possesses!  :oh:   Which is very bad news for our team, now that he is possessing Ward!! :o

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 10 December 2015 - 09:22 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,567 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

Absolutely -- it does seem like Maveth absorbs the memories of those he possesses ... which makes for a strong argument for incinerating one's dead vs. burying/interning their bodies.

As for that one city, this is why I asked:  

So, on that otherworld there were nine city[-states] which while reaching for untold heights obliterated each other (or were obliterated), with one going so far as to construct what looked liked a colossal HYDRA symbol.  So how did that image find its way into Humanity's consciousness?

Maybe the colossus was actually of a Cthulhu-esque deity they worshipped, and it got reinterpreted into the be-tentacle skull of HYDRA ... which suggests that sometime before WWII, an image was recovered from the other side, which contradicts the assertion that they couldn't bring anything back.  

(shrug)

Alas, the Marvel creators sometimes fail to think through their graphics.  SSR becomes SHIELD which, according to Winter Soldier, stood for precisely the same thing back in the 1960's/1970's that it does now, never mind that we never addressed the US as the "Homeland" until post-9/11.

And while, yes, we did see a graphical depiction of a possible origin of the HYDRA emblem, they failed to address why the group adopted the ram's head in the first place.

Thus, I'm left to wonder if they actually have thought through HYDRA's provenance, or are simply making this up as they go along.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostG-man, on 10 December 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

As for that one city, this is why I asked:  

So, on that otherworld there were nine city[-states] which while reaching for untold heights obliterated each other (or were obliterated), with one going so far as to construct what looked liked a colossal HYDRA symbol.  So how did that image find its way into Humanity's consciousness?

Maybe the colossus was actually of a Cthulhu-esque deity they worshipped, and it got reinterpreted into the be-tentacle skull of HYDRA ... which suggests that sometime before WWII, an image was recovered from the other side, which contradicts the assertion that they couldn't bring anything back.  

(shrug)

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

That could make sense.  :)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:58 AM

I've had dealings with the National Reconnaisance Office (NRO, formerly by other names) the 1970s. This once little known office used to run most of the satellite surveillance machinery of the US on behalf of US military and civilian intelligence agencies.

Followers of SHIELD might get a kick out of their logo for the 2013 NROL-39 satellite:NROL.jpg

...and let's not forget the constantly evolving SPECTRE logos of the James Bond franchise:

SPECTRE.png

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

1963 is so cute.  :wub:

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

OMG Orph, that's brilliant!!  :clap:  :lol:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users