Kirk: "We have no ship. No crew. How do we get out of this?"
"We will find hope in the impossible."
Bones: "Damn. At least I won't die alone. ... Great. So typical."
"I hope this won't end bad."
"Here it begins, Captain. Here the final frontier fights back."
Kirk: "Damn, what is this?"
Alien: "I know why you're here. Why all of us are here."
Kirk: "Okay... We're not doing that again."

WARNING: the Enterprise takes some damage in the trailer. Otherwise it's fairly spoiler-free.

Speculation: a shade of Voyager's sinkhole episode? Or TNG's "Allegiance." I think there was even an animated series episode that was similar. Our crew and an alien crew caught in a trap on a (hostile?) alien planet and have to work together to escape. Anyway, that's my guess.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 Yankee White

Yankee White
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:23 AM

Darn, the link you provided says the video is blocked on copyright grounds, which I guess is better than being blocked with coffee grounds, but I still wanted to see it!
The Bird of Paradise comes only to an open hand.

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:34 AM

Poop. It'll be released for realz (and presumably in English) sometime this weekend - it's attached to the new Star Wars movie. Definitely very much a standalone episode feel. This is not a sequel to Into Darkness - and actually, does anyone know if Alice Eve is in it? I didn't catch a glimpse of Carol Marcus.

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

https://www.facebook...53329914458716/

Now officially released. In English. Let the whinging begin!

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

I like it. It feels more like Star Trek than the previous Abramsverse offerings.

And I loved the comedic timing of Spock's beam-out.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

Watched it on Youtube. I liked it. Sure it doesn't show us much but what we do see is pretty good. I like that it feels like a good stand-alone adventure and, AFAIK, not based on any previous movie or TV episode. The new uniforms look nice.

This is not a sequel to Into Darkness - and actually, does anyone know if Alice Eve is in it? I didn't catch a glimpse of Carol Marcus.

Not according to IMDB, which isn't always the most reliable source, grant you. I haven't seen any news items about the movie that mentions her. Honestly, if she isn't I don't feel it's that big of a loss. Her character didn't really do anything for me in the last movie.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Yankee White

Yankee White
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:18 PM

Okay, that was... interesting. Not bad. New uniform. Variation of the old ones. Sort of reminds me of the show pilot tunics. Sort of.

I'm glad Abrams is doing something original instead of re-hashing old story lines like he did with that horrible and offensive Into Darkness.

At least, I hope he is.
The Bird of Paradise comes only to an open hand.

#8 Ihaveaglitch

Ihaveaglitch
  • Islander
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:30 PM

All it was missing was Vin Diesel in a 70's era Charger!
"Well I gotta admit, making Rommie obey my every whim and laying waste to the Drago-Kazov sounds really great, butů All by myself?" ~Harper (Una Salus Victus)

#9 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:15 AM

Oh, so this offering bears the stink of Abrams. I'm out.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostYankee White, on 14 December 2015 - 09:18 PM, said:

Okay, that was... interesting. Not bad. New uniform. Variation of the old ones. Sort of reminds me of the show pilot tunics. Sort of.

I'm glad Abrams is doing something original instead of re-hashing old story lines like he did with that horrible and offensive Into Darkness.

At least, I hope he is.

Actually, Abrams had little to do with this, AFAIK.  He's too busy with Star Wars.   His name is still on it somewhere, but he didn't write it or anything.

It was co-written (now why did autocorrect change that to "cow rotten"? :lol: ).  Anyway, co-written by Simon Pegg and someone else, and I fully expect him to come up with something totally new, that also embodies the heart of the true Star Trek.  

So, all my hopes are on Simon Pegg.  He is after all a fan who actually loves Star Trek, unlike Abrams who didn't get it and wanted to change it.  

Someone else could probably give some more details on the behind the scenes shenanigans that led to Simon Pegg being chosen to write this.   It's definitely a wacky story.  :crazy:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 15 December 2015 - 07:50 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

None of the four creatives who made the first two movies (Abrams, Lindelof, Kurtzman, Orci) are back for this one. Orci was initially hired to write and direct but Paramount didn't green light the script he developed. Abrams had maybe the best idea anyone has ever had when he tapped Pegg to replace Orc. And indeed he appears to have settled on an instantly recognizable TYPE of Star Trek episode - the sinkhole/graveyard of ships episode - that has never been made into a movie before despite being one of the most box office friendly types of Star Trek episodes. Smart cookie, that Simon Pegg.

So they're attacked and crash in the first ten minutes. Perhaps they've been trying to figure out what happened to a long-lost Starfleet vessel - well, now they know. So they learn to work with the other survivors, yada yada, to survive Idris Elba and escape the planet using the wreck of the long lost Starfleet ship.

The wild card is what kind of heavy Idris Elba is - or rather what tradition of Trek heavy he comes from. Is he a powerful but isolated figure who controls or at least influences something destructive (that horde thingy)? If so, what does he plan to do with it? And why? Is he trapped there on that planet, too? Is he trying to escape just like our heroes? But how did he get trapped there? And what does he plan to do if he escapes? Well, we see his horde attacking what appears to be a Federation colony or starbase (which to me is reminiscent of "Operation Annihilate!"), and we hear him say, "This is where the frontier fights back!" So maybe it's anti-imperialism angle?

#12 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

When I saw this, the first thing that went through my mind was 'It's the third Trek film...time to destroy the Enterprise!'

Edited by The Tyrant, 15 December 2015 - 10:29 AM.

Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,571 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

:facepalm-f7e:

Again with the destruction of the Enterprise -- or not.  It's kind of hard to tell with this trailer.

At the least, it looks like they are going for an original adventure, whether I come along for the ride is still a matter of debate.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 15 December 2015 - 11:20 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#14 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

It does seem like the ship gets destroyed at the outset but the teaser doesn't include the money shot - the tiny dot of the ship exploding, sending out shockwave, etc. That might be just because they didn't want to show the money shot or because it's not ready or whatever - but it might be because the ship is salvaged in the third act.

#15 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

I don't do "Trek Wreck". They've flogged that dead horse ten too many times. Surely they can do better than pulling that lame-ass plot-line our of their arses yet again. It's as annoying as hearing, "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." "I've got a bad feeling about this." In every Star Bores movie.

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,439 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:34 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 15 December 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

It was co-written (now why did autocorrect change that to "cow rotten"? :lol: ).  
It saw the first two movies?  :lol:

So, all my hopes are on Simon Pegg.  He is after all a fan who actually loves Star Trek, unlike Abrams who didn't get it and wanted to change it.
That's what I thought, too, from reading his comments, but... explosions, motorcycles, and a Punkish soundtrack?  Looks like more anti-Trek to me.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#17 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

In Star Trek- Enigma, I wrote about an ancient artefact from the Old Universe found in an asteroid that had been captured by the planet Romulus.

Why? Because Picard loved archaeology, and because the subject hadn't been given the treatment, in terms of script-writing, that it could/should have. There were also elements of archaeology in the original series.

I've never written an original series story, but I could kick their arses around the block and back in terms of coming up with a good story written in the voice of the original genre.

But you have to be butt-buddies with the right people in order to submit anything for consideration, and the coven of butt-buddies has shown themselves to be right out of ideas for decades now.

It's gotten so bad that the people at the core are completely out of touch with the genre, and have repeatedly demonstrated themselves incapable of doing the genre justice.

On top of that, like the crazed leader who has lost all touch with reality, even if a good story bit a huge chunk out of their collective arses, they wouldn't be able to recognise it for what it was.

Those in charge of the franchise seem to think that they and only they know what they're doing. And that's exactly the problem.

#18 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

http://trekmovie.com...ond/#more-41165

Seems like Pegg had this interview unsealed about a year early, huh? Smart cookie. Some slightly spoilery details but mostly it backs up Pegg's contention that the trailer left out all the real "Star Trek stuff."

#19 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:33 AM

I am NOT a fan of the Abramsverse TREK, but to play devil's advocate about the song used in the trailer...

It is VERY easy to use another song in place of the song that is actually used in the movie.  The Beastie Boys song may not be the best choice for a STAR TREK movie, but given that it is directed by an action movie director, it's not surprising.

I am simply happy that Abrams is not really involved in this one, so I am HOPING it is better than the previous two.

As a side note... the ONLY reason I bothered to watch those two movies is because this new one is coming out to celebrate the 50th anniversary.  Simply out of loyalty to STAR TREK that I will be watching any reboot.  At least with Simon Pegg cowriting it, there is hope that this one will BE actually STAR TREK.

#20 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

(old fogey hat on)  That was a "song"???
Cats will never be extinct!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Trek, nuTrek, Now With Second Trailer

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users