#21 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,214 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

^^  :lol:

View PostFarscapeOne, on 20 December 2015 - 12:33 AM, said:

It is VERY easy to use another song in place of the song that is actually used in the movie.  The Beastie Boys song may not be the best choice for a STAR TREK movie, but given that it is directed by an action movie director, it's not surprising.  
True, but they actually used the Beastie Boys in the first movie.

I am simply happy that Abrams is not really involved in this one, so I am HOPING it is better than the previous two.
I feel bad for Simon Pegg. It does sound like he really wants to do real Trek and I believe that he theoretically could. But that first movie was so awful, both in terms of objective quality and in terms of what us old-time Hippies expect from Trek, that I will never bother with anything connected to it.

As a side note... the ONLY reason I bothered to watch those two movies is because this new one is coming out to celebrate the 50th anniversary.  Simply out of loyalty to STAR TREK that I will be watching any reboot.  At least with Simon Pegg cowriting it, there is hope that this one will BE actually STAR TREK.  
I can only hope that the new series is a worthwhile celebration, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#22 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

Simon Pegg seemed to say all the right things in that interview. He promised that the movie was more than just the action we saw in that trailer, that it has a distinct Star Trek feel, and that the ensemble would play a bigger role and it wouldn't just be the Kirk/Spock show. Those all sound like great things to me. Granted, I liked the first two Abrams Star Trek movies. Yes they're flawed but enjoyable, IMO.

I do wish they weren't destroying the ship yet again though.

I wonder if we will ever see novels set in this universe? I don't want to see the current Treklit line come to an end, but seeing as there is going to be a time jump between Into Darkness and Beyond that leaves a lot of space for novels to explore.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#23 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:10 AM

I'm guessing no novels. Bad Robot pitched a full line of multimedia platforms in 2008 but only the comics went forward. CBS seems to be keeping the Abramsverse relegated mostly to the feature arm of the franchise. I wonder if the new TV series will explicitly place itself in the Prime universe? (For six bucks a month, can we get a friggin DS9: The Next Generation special? :) since nothing is forever-cancelled anymore?)

Edited by BklnScott, 31 December 2015 - 01:15 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#24 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:24 AM

Here's the second trailer. It's still heavy on the action but it does give some sense as to what Kirk is going through in this movie, wondering if he meant to be a starship captain or not. The trailer has definitely made me more excited for the movie.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#25 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Was that an NX class ship we saw at the end?  Sure looked like it.

#26 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

That Starbase is everything.

I'm betting there's an older ship in there that can be repainted and re-christened by the end, allowing them to continue the five year mission.

Edited by BklnScott, 23 May 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#27 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:34 PM

Which would essentially be the history of the Prime universe.  Just happenening at an earlier time.

I wonder why the third movie sees the destruction of the Enterprise again... though I am rather relieved, as this version looks too much like a hot rod than a ship of exploration.  That was one of my gripes with the Abrams movies... the Enterprise is very near and dear to my heart.

I have to say, the trailer gives me a lot of hope for the movie... it feels like they captured the essence of STAR TREK better than the other Abrams movies.

And I agree, Scott... that Starbase was gorgeous.  I wonder if that is more a shipyard than a starbase, though.

Edited by FarscapeOne, 23 May 2016 - 10:35 PM.

#28 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,540 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:24 AM

"Fire at will! Do it! Do It!"

Oy.  :headshake:  Worst. Line. Ever.

I'll give them credit for trying to develop nu-Kirk, but ... the action comes across as non-sensical.

I may check this out, but only if the reviews are favorable.  Otherwise, I may just choose to give this one a miss ... yeah, that's how bad an aftertaste "Into Darkness" left me.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#29 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

And I agree, Scott... that Starbase was gorgeous.  I wonder if that is more a shipyard than a starbase, though.

It's the Starbase Yorktown according to Simon Pegg. Though as far as I'm concerned, they should call it Starbase McAwesome. Holy crap.

Looks like they go there in Act One for shore leave after two years in deep space, and later return to defend it from the swarm in the salvaged USS Franklin, the ship that looks like Scott Bakula's Enterprise.

If CBS All Access ever does produce that DS9 reunion special, I want DS9 to have one of those funky bucky ball tents too! Why shouldn't Quarks expand to Upper Pylon Three - Exterior? ;)

#30 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

And make Quark's commercial stationwide.

"Come Quark's, Quark's is fun.
Come to Quark's, don't walk, run!"

#31 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

I haven't ever read any licensed stuff that continues the DS9 story or thought much about what would happen post-finale, so maybe they've already done this in the books, but when I saw that Starbase in the trailer - after I almost wet my pants - I thought, "OH! That's what would happen to DS9!" With the war over, and trade through the wormhole booming, DS9 would transform almost overnight from small town to city. Cityscapes would sprout on the habitat ring like spokes jutting out at every angle. That transparent stuff would stretch from pylon to pylon along the Docking Ring, creating a huge interior space that could be terraformed (or Bajor-formed) and inhabited as needed, making DS9 20 years later potentially the home of many millions of people...

Quark would have to be mayor.

(I really think that, in success, CBS All Access intends to eventually produce lower-rent content for the hardest of hardcore Trekkies - stuff that would've been unthinkable even just a couple of years ago. In this context, a DS9 special of some sort becomes not just possible but inevitable. At least I wanna believe.)

Edited by BklnScott, 24 May 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#32 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

We do have a new Deep Space Nine in the relaunch continuity (designed by Andy Probert and modeled by Douglas E. Graves), and it is a big city compared to the "small town" of the old one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think it's a lot better-looking than that overproduced mess that this movie's calling a starbase. All that wasted space, needlessly complex superstructure, and power-hungry life-support (one power failure and EVERYONE GETS EXPLOSIVELY DECOMPRESSED). How would you even go about securing it?

It's clearly designed only to get demolished, because that's what happens in blockbusters these days.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#33 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

Ooooooh, that's neat, thanks for posting! I love those great massive promenade windows.

#34 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

I would LOVE a continuation of DS9.

I sure hope that is in the cards (pin intended rom the episode) for the near future.

Maybe even follow a format similar to AMERICAN HORROR STORY.

Edited by FarscapeOne, 24 May 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#35 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

Awesome pics!  Love the new DS9!

#36 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

I watched the first half-hour of the new Star Bores barf-movie. It was absolutely awful. One tired cliche after another.

This Star Blech looks to be more of the same- cliche-driven barf-o-rama. No vision, no originality, no quality writing. King Louis XIV's turd-readers were more imaginative.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#37 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

There's some real evidence now, not just rumor, that the new show may be an anthology. What form it would take is still unknown but seasonal anthologies are trendy and attract A-list talent because they don't require multi-season contracts. If true, it would seem to open the door to a season where, say, featured guest stars Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner would not be out of place. Or even a visit to DS9. There's also the possibility, I assume, for lower-price tag content to keep Trekkers subscribed during the off-season.

#38 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

That would be a dream come true.

I told my wife years ago when AHS premiered that their format would be the future of tv series, for the reasobs you stated and more.  It looks like my prediction is coming true.

#39 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,540 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

I'm not loving that new star base design from the trailer, far preferring the one in Abrams first film.  This one just looks like something an art department thought would look cool without regard to actual functionality.

As for the revamped DS9 ... well, I actually like Probert's Warp-Tug design.  The station itself, by them bulking up the structure without enlarging the diameter of the ring, it actually appears smaller than the original (optical illusion, I know, but there it is).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 24 May 2016 - 02:45 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#40 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

View PostG-man, on 24 May 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

I'm not loving that new star base design from the trailer, far preferring the one in Abrams first film.  This one just looks like something an art department thought would look cool without regard to actual functionality.

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

The Yorktown is supposed to be the Federation's central animating concept made manifest. To me, it looks like a clockworks somehow suspended inside a soap bubble. Beautiful, impossible, fragile. Fragile-looking, at least, but inside the membrane, that clockworks is awfully muscular. Which seems apt to me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Trek, nuTrek, Now With Second Trailer

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users